View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 07:14 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
ƃuoɹʍ ʇı ƃuıop

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger
Right. I've got that much already. I was searching for something with a little more depth though. I mean, I can understand the need to strike out on your own when you're young. It's part of the programmed emotional response to want to set yourself up as a unique individual. It just seems to me that by lumping yourself in with another group of people, you are being counterproductive to this goal. Sure, you're showing yourself as different than your parents, or the societal standard of normalcy... but you get lost in the crowd of others in your sub-group.
The aim of an individual when join a group or sub group or anything group-related is to be accepted, or just just increasing the chances of being accepted.

Its not much about developing your individuality, its more fear driven, its caused by your self inadiquacies. By surrounding yourself and considering yourself one of the many people, you fear less of being targeted and being discriminated by your individual 'features'.

Lumping yourself in with another group of people implies that that very same group of people will hopefully stand for the same things you stand for, act just like you and represent you while introducing yourself to the society as a whole.

Its not really counterproductive, it just bring different results from totally differentiating yourself from the crowd.