Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 07:48 PM   #1  
Simba

Question Offline LAN

I think Serious Sam HD would be a perfect addition to our LAN parties at school, but we are not allowed to connect to the internet during our sessions. I was hoping for a dedicated server or offline LAN support, but I don't see anything like that. Maybe there is a console command to connect to cooperative servers on a LAN?

Otherwise, great game! I am thoroughly enjoying it!

-Perfect_Form
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 AM   #2  
Kleer

Serious Issues is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Issues Send a message via AIM to Serious Issues Send a message via MSN to Serious Issues Send a message via Yahoo to Serious Issues
Default Re: Offline LAN

Shouldn't LAN servers show up in the server list?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 AM   #3  
Simba

Sorry, I guess it's an issue with Steam, because you cannot browse the servers while Steam is in offline mode. I do think having a dedicated server might solve the problem, though.

-PF
Old 11-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #4  
Highlander

Sorry, no networking is allowed when offline. You have to be connected to Steam to access any multiplayer features.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #5  
Simba

In other words, there are no plans to resolve this major issue. That's disappointing since my decision to purchase this game was hinging upon offline LAN support. LAN play was one of the biggest selling points of the previous games and it's a shame that using steam for distribution has prevented this.

I understand Croteam's decision to use Steam in order to avoid other DRM but they have done this at the cost of an integral part of the game. I will not be purchasing this game until this is resolved.

Croteam, you have put together an excellent remake of a very fun game. Please don't forget how integral this element of gameplay was to the success of the original games. Thank you.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #6  
Highlander

For every feature we don't put in, I am sure there is at least one person whose decision to purchase was "hinging upon" that feature. That is very unfortunate, but we cannot support everything, and for some things, we don't even want to.

You will find LAN play not supported in more and more upcoming games, because playing over Steam (or anything else) in a private session with your friends on a LAN is absolutely identical in performance as old-fashioned LAN play, so there are no good reasons not to be connected on Steam. Yes, some LANs are not connected to the internet, but that is rare nowadays.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #7  
Simba

Sorry but i disagree, I cant get DSL where i am and even where they can its expensive.
with limited data.
I have no need for achievements or STEAM(ing pile) .
Im on dial up and play ONLY lan only with friends and family. Not to mention steam is a piece of s**t tried to update orange box once and it told me it was going to wipe half the files and restart over friggin dialup
3rd party workarounds/tools solved that problem, minor downloads needed, no more steam for me ever "."

I guess i will have to wait a couple of months, to see if a dehumidifier becomes available
Or my foolish friend buys without checking with me about drm <sigh> so i can test what i have
Its all about DRM and retaining control. Bleghh . And i do own/buy my games
im wary of this one though since serious sam 3 was such a let down , the kids dont even ask to play it, except for the first ones , which says a lot unfortunately.

Does this version have invisible barriers everywhere, made the whole game feel like
a kindergarten game. So loved the originals .

PS i can play the orangebox games , no dodo needed over my wee lan and no internet cost.

Thanks for the original games though , they are classics with the kids
Old 11-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #8  
Arachnoid

How are you planning on installing a Steam game on your lan without being able to connect to the internet?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #9  
Kleer

Serious Issues is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Issues Send a message via AIM to Serious Issues Send a message via MSN to Serious Issues Send a message via Yahoo to Serious Issues

Frankly, Steam fails at what it aims to do (prevent piracy). Steam games are pirated just as much as, if not more than games that don't use it. A quick look at any major torrent site confirms this. Steam causes far more problems than it has ever prevented.

I own genuine copies of all my games, and I'm not saying I condone stealing software, but removing freedom and functionality in games is not the way to combat piracy. It only encourages it.

Last edited by Serious Issues; 11-28-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #10  
Simba

any fixes or workarounds coming for this problem yet?

i wont be able to use online servers for my lan due to the contract i,am under for working at home with clients data.

or will this be another steam product i still cant use after buying it?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM   #11  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Alen already answered your questions, eddie.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 12-01-2009, 12:48 PM   #12  
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen Ladavac View Post
. Yes, some LANs are not connected to the internet, but that is rare nowadays.
atually it isnt, many schools/collages and dorms have restrictions to wan to keep bandwidth costs down. for self employed or home workers webaccess can be restricted for security of data or productivity.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #13  
Supreme Commander

XMR1 is offline Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Quote:
For every feature we don't put in, I am sure there is at least one person whose decision to purchase was "hinging upon" that feature. That is very unfortunate, but we cannot support everything, and for some things, we don't even want to.
Well, you could at least support offline lan play.
Otherwise next step will be that all games require you to be online the whole time while playing it, so they can make sure "that you are not doing something illegal". Total bs.
I seriously see this coming.
Quote:
You will find LAN play not supported in more and more upcoming games, because playing over Steam (or anything else) in a private session with your friends on a LAN is absolutely identical in performance as old-fashioned LAN play, so there are no good reasons not to be connected on Steam.
I'm sorry if I missunderstood that, but AFAIK games played in lan are able to transfer with 100Mbit/s (or eben 1 Gbit/s), which is enough speed.
However when using the internet (more especially Steam) you have to "upload" those data to the other pc's over the internet, thus having only upload speed of your internet speed as max speed (which is 15 kb/s for me, and many of my friends!!).
I don't see how this is identical.
Quote:
Yes, some LANs are not connected to the internet, but that is rare nowadays.
Actually it isn't, we held every lan we made without internet (besides two, and those where awful, because everyone made what he wanted to do).

You lost at least 4 hardcore serious sam fans by not online introducing Steam as a must for this game, but also by not supporting offline lan gaming (2 of my friends don't like Steam, but thought about buying it nontheless, however when I told them no offline lan playing is available, thy refused to buy it, too).

Yes, I'm an anti Steamer, and I will NEVER buy any game that forces me to use a third party app to run.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Issues View Post
Frankly, Steam fails at what it aims to do (prevent piracy). Steam games are pirated just as much as, if not more than games that don't use it. A quick look at any major torrent site confirms this. Steam causes far more problems than it has ever prevented.

I own genuine copies of all my games, and I'm not saying I condone stealing software, but removing freedom and functionality in games is not the way to combat piracy. It only encourages it.
Could have been my words.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #14  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Wytas is offline Send a message via MSN to Wytas Send a message via Skype™ to Wytas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMR1 View Post
Yes, I'm an anti Steamer, and I will NEVER buy any game that forces me to use a third party app to run.
HAHA! We'll see that

New projects!
• A sequel to one of my maps o_O
• Serious Sam crazy!™
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #15  
Supreme Commander

XMR1 is offline Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytas View Post
HAHA! We'll see that
I hope you remember my words when SS3 comes out.
(I will even refuse to buy SS3 if it uses Steam/Similar, even though I have been waiting for it to come out)
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #16  
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMR1 View Post
I'm sorry if I missunderstood that, but AFAIK games played in lan are able to transfer with 100Mbit/s (or eben 1 Gbit/s), which is enough speed.
However when using the internet (more especially Steam) you have to "upload" those data to the other pc's over the internet, thus having only upload speed of your internet speed as max speed (which is 15 kb/s for me, and many of my friends!!).
I don't see how this is identical.
This is a common misconception. First of all, all NAT-punching software I know about will first check to see if two machines are on the same LAN and will shortcut the traffic. (I didn't specifically test this on Steam, but it doesn't make sense to do otherwise.) And even if the software doesn't do it, your gateway (or router, or NAT, whatever you like calling it) will do it. If it saw a nut-case packet heading outwards but destined for a machine on the LAN it will just redirect it back.

So in short, when you are playing "online" inside the same LAN, the "online" part is used just for server list, and to establish a connection. All game traffic goes on only inside the LAN.

I hope this helps understanding what is actually going on.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #17  
Simba

it's really a pity that Croteam didn't include the offline LAN co-op mode into Serious Sam HD versions !

The Serious Sam franchise has been one of the key bonding factors in my family ... as we used to play LAN co-op for hours non-stop shooting enemies ....blasting freaks ... you know the drill !
Now with this whole Steam thingy , I don't think I'll purchase any future releases of Serious Sam anymore .
No Offline LAN mode would really knock off ***MANY*** serious fans like my family and friends.
Maybe Croteam failed to realize that the LAN offline co-op feature constituted a vital part of the Sam series ... I don't know , but now I'm letting them know how disappointed some of us are because of the lack of Offline LAN co-op mode in SS HD versions !

to summarize :
Croteam , by not incorporating the offline LAN feature ,
You are losing many serious fans ,
You are losing serious money ...
and you are losing serious business !
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #18  
Simba

it's really a pity that Croteam didn't include the offline LAN co-op mode into Serious Sam HD versions !

The Serious Sam franchise has been one of the key bonding factors in my family ... as we used to play LAN co-op for hours non-stop shooting enemies ....blasting freaks ... you know the drill !
Now with this whole Steam thingy , I don't think I'll purchase any future releases of Serious Sam anymore .
No Offline LAN mode would really knock off ***MANY*** serious fans like my family and friends.
Maybe Croteam failed to realize that the LAN offline co-op feature constituted a vital part of the Sam series ... I don't know , but now I'm letting them know how disappointed some of us are because of the lack of Offline LAN co-op mode in SS HD versions !

to summarize :
Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #19  
🐱 Kitty. ❤💙💚💛💜

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeblock View Post
I doubt it.

CodeCat, my blog! - Angelo's stuff - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution. Please use our bugreporter for that.)
Old 10-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #20  
Kleer

Obvious pirates are obvious

Serious fans buy Serious Sam (on Steam)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #21  
Khnumilicious!

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeblock View Post
You can still play splitscreen with "guest accounts" on one machine, the only difference now is that you have to be connected to the Steam servers to be able to use multiplayer components of the game. You know, just like any other game that uses Steamworks?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #22  
Rocketeer

Uh.. you can play LAN games, with full LAN speed even with just a 56k connection. All Steam does is verify you have different installs of the game on each computer (IE: Not sharing an account.)

The only people who will have the "shitty" connection speed is anyone who tries to connect to you from the WAN, but you can easily block that.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #23  
Simba

Hi all.

No doubt Croteam know that some old gamers will rage against the no-lan offline steam mode.

But, seriously, who care ?

I'm a old gamer. I've raged against this practice.

Serious lan gamers, your lan area don't have internet connection ?
How many serious gamer will be affected by this restriction ? Not so many I think.

Simple example of past few days:

- A friend come to my house.
- I've bought serious sam 3, not him
- "How about put steam in offline mode ? May it works"
- "You must be log in to steam blabla" Fu*k!
- "How about cr*ck it ?" (Put a crack into a original game, totally mindfu*k)
- "Yeah I can start a server. Did you find it ?
- No. Empty list.
- Fu*k!"
- "Ahem, tired of fighting developers, how about buying the game ?"
- "No choice"
Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #24  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Ahem. Let's stop this borderline discussion here and now before someone gets hurt.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 03-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #25  
Simba

Even here in Soviet Russia - the homeland of piracy we have no problem to buy Serious Sam game. Just because it's a legend and every fan anyway will find some money to feed a legend. To make the legend live.
Play on the internet is good, but sometimes we are taking our PC's to an empty apartment, turning telephones off and get a cold beer. And then we stand in front of question - What game will we play? It's sad, but Serious Sam can't be this game anymore.

Maybe Croteam is right... Maybe. Here are two options - To be a Legend or to earn more money. Of course i'm naive and silly romanticist, but i tell one more time - Oldschool is forgotten and we will never see something like FE or SE LAN-party again.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #26  
Simba

Thumbs down Re: Offline LAN

I can say: Croteam If you think you can lower the piracy of this game using steam, then you are en a big fail. Whatever you do this will be cracked. Many of my friends have this game in a pirate version. They telling me and showing me. They playing this game sp and mp with cracked steam. It´s working fine. So don´t think you can lower the piracy. That you doing now is increase of the piracy level of this game. Im don´t playing serious sam so much. But i know steam is a shit tool. It was the stupidest idea to connect steam with this game. You really lose fans. You need to be connected to a shit tool, to only play coop alone. You could make a normal protected launcher for this game. Like in TDU 2. If i understand right, people who have bad connection will be kicked from a private coop server each time when they lose connection to steam. This is horrible man . People paying the money but they can´t enjoy the full game they paid for.
Please stop using steam in future. Whatever you do this game will be cracked :S
it´s waste of work, to use so much time on protection on this game, when we know the game still will being cracked :S

And yes as the other says. Yes you lose fans. And you increase the piracy of the game. Because poeple won´t buy it. Because they must register to a shit tool :S

Sorry if this is provocative

Last edited by math341c; 07-23-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #27  
Simba

Thumbs down Re: Offline LAN

I can say: Croteam If you think you can lower the piracy of this game, then you are en a big fail. Whatever you do this will be cracked. Many of my friends have this game in a pirate version. They telling me and showing me. Playing this game sp and mp with cracked steam. It´s working fine. So don´t think you can lower the piracy. That you doing now is increase of the piracy level of this game. Im don´t playing serious sam so much. But i know steam is a shit tool. It was the stupidest idea to connect steam with this game. You really lose fans. You need to be connected to a shit tool, to only play coop alone. You could make a normal protected launcher for this game. Like in TDU 2. If i understand right, people who have bad connection will be kicked from a private coop server each time when they lose connection to steam. This is horrible man . People paying the money but they can´t enjoy the full game they paid for.
Please stop using steam in future. Whatever you do this game will be cracked :S
It´s waste of work, to spend so much time on protection to this game. When this game was always being cracked :S

And yes as the other says. Yes you lose fans. And you increase the piracy of the game. Because poeple won´t buy it. Because they must register to a shit tool :S

Sorry if this is provocative
Old 07-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #28  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Except that the game sells more since it is on Steam, has achievements and leaderboards. Except that not everything can be cracked in this game, and not everything WAS cracked about this game.
Except, if your net is shit and you lose your connection to Steam, then it is not Steam's fault that you're dropped from the game; if there wasn't Steam, it would drop you from the game as well.

Digital distribution is the future, and there's a quite few people I know who turned from pirates to honest customers, because Steam and other services (like GOG.com) provides games that are not available or only available in a more expensive format.

Whatever is your elitist view is, CT loses less than it gains with using Steam (and would gain more if it would be available on other services, like the aforementioned GOG.com).
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #29  
Just-a chillin'....

Mongo is offline Steam ID: Serious_Gnaars Send a message via Skype™ to Mongo

Anything can be cracked/hacked with enough effort, but like Solais said, Croteam is making a lot more than its losing.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #30  
Simba

Red face Re: Offline LAN

I let my friend post now.

Hello. Solais you are big wrong. Of course Croteam lose fans. Im that friend who have that bad connection. Stop saying it's my problem. Of course it's steam problem.
People paying for a product. But they can't use it fully. Of course it's my problem if i can't connect and play online, if you mean that. But it's steam and the developer problem if i can't even play alone in private match because my connection to steam jump's out sometimes!. Croteam should think about to that people who are live in a country where the internet is bad. I live in Alaska. The weather is very strong here. Therefore it jump's out sometimes!. I loved serious sam. I was a big fan before. But since they changed to steam i wont buy it anymore. 1. Steam is shit, you can't even install in custom folder, in Origin you can . 2. You must be connected to steam to play alone in mp. My private match will be closed down right after i lose the connection to steam . You can swear there is cracked mp. I use it. I can play online fine and it jump's out sometimes. With legit players. So don't say steam help to lower piracy.

Croteam you are great developer! But you have ruined the game completely now

Last edited by math341c; 07-25-2012 at 01:32 PM.