Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

View Poll Results: Which is the true Sam voice?
Pitch +12% 0 0%
Pitch +8% 0 0%
Pitch +6% 3 27.27%
Original 6 54.55%
Pitch -2% 0 0%
Pitch -4% 1 9.09%
Pitch -6% 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #1  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is online now Steam ID: SolaisYosei
Default Which is the true Sam voice?

The story in short: I decided to release an all-voice pack for mappers who want to use some good ol' Sam quotes. I also decided to cut up and re-release the old Booger's quote packs.

Now, the thing is, I always thought that Booger never sounded like Sam in these quote packs. Like if there's something slightly wrong with the pitch. Same with the two new quotes in SSHD; they sound nothing like the quotes that were from the Classic games, or even SS2 or SS3.

So, once Alen told me, that they always change the pitch of Booger's voice, and that's how Sam's voice is created; and as far as I remember, the pitch is set to be higher. Now, this spawned a discussion in the shoutbox, so I decided to make a poll.

Download this pack. There are seven versions of the same unused quote, the original version and three-three with their pitch changed either higher or lower. Listen to them closely and vote: Which of them sounds like the real Sam?
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #2  

Default Re: Which is the true Sam voice?

The original clip sounds like the original FE and SE Sam voice. The lower pitched ones are too low.

The high pitched voices sound like Sam in SS2 and SS3. IMO FE and SE had the best Sam voice, even if the recordings were low quality. So it's "Original" for me.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #3  
Hey ladies

Fiendian is offline Steam ID: BjossiAlfreds Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

It was a choice between original and -2% for me, went with the original. Maybe +2 or +4% would have sounded okay too but it wasn't a part of the sample space. The rest sound either too low or too high to my ears.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #4  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is online now Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Well there haven't been much votes yet, but +6 and 0 is almost tied (Val actually voted +6 not -6). This actually made me think that between 0 and -2 must be the SS1 voice (though 0 sounds really bad, maybe I'll make it just a tiny bit lower pitched, like -0.5 or -1), while +6 or +7 being the SS2/SS3 voice. So now I'm considering making two versions of EVERY quote of every game, so those who like the SS1 voice can use that for their maps, and those who like the higher pitched SS2/SS3 voice can use that.

EDIT: After some experiments, I decided that there will be three sets.

The SS1 set will have all the SS1 quotes unchanged, Booger's quotes -0.5%, SS2 quotes -6 and SS3 quotes -10.
The SS2 set will have all the SS1 quotes +6, Booger's quotes +6.5, SS2 quotes unchanged and SS3 quotes -4.
The SS3 set will have all the SS1 quotes +9.5, Booger's quotes +10, SS2 quotes +3.5 and SS3 quotes unchanged.

Last edited by Solais; 05-06-2012 at 04:31 PM.