Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD > Serious Sam HD Workshop

Serious Sam HD Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam: HD projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default Egypt Survival Map Pack

Base Info

Hi! I just started working in Serious Editor 3 (making maps) and a pretty dumb idea came into my mind. Why not to make some survival maps in Egypt style? We got only one of these... And that's it.

YouTube Video: Trailer

FAQ

Q: Why Egypt?
A: Well, basically we don't have much maps set in Egypt style. What's more, I want to learn a couple of things before making something more advanced like campaign. Egypt style is pretty simple to operate, so it comes that it's also cool for learning.

Q: What kind of maps we got here? Something like Bear City, Icelander, Kleer Base, or...
A: I'm trying to make all maps as original as possible, so they are not just "new maps", but maps where you have to use different strategy (compared to others). For example, my first map called Beheaded City, is map where the challenge is to strafe as much as you can, while killing as much enemies as possible (their respawn is pretty fast), and also - not to waste ammo really fast (it's easy).

Q: I found a bug over here!/Something here is wrong!/Can you fix it?
A: Just write about it post (what's wrong), so I'll try to fix it. Keep in mind that these are my first maps ever created in SE (yea, any SE, not only 3!) so they might be bugged up. Of course, I'll try to fix these maps if I only can (myself, or with the help of the others).

Map List

Beheaded City
Map which kinda looks like Suburbs. Couple of houses, some palms, and grass. Enemies respawns on top of these houses. Your goal is to strafe, and kill enemies as fast as possible (they have kinda fast respawn), while still trying to safe your ammo (mostly for Tommygun).

Kamikaze Obelisk
Small area where only enemies are Kamikaze which spawns in mostly random positions. Your goal is to move and try to collect health and ammo items while killing kamikaze that are mostly near you. It's not always that easy.

Pusher
Map that is set is some sort of Bear Cite style. You have enemies aproaching to you from one way, and you have some defences (well... one at least for now!). Why the name is Pusher then? Mostly because you have to collect items to survive (ammo, health, armor) and that's not easy because of two things: 1. When you collect item, another one is respawning instantly, so you have to be careful about grabbing these (not to waste them). 2. More items you get, the bigger route to another ones is.

Fragging Frogs
Simple map - you are locked in room where you have to defend yourself against waves of frogs. Simple room cut from Oasis level, with some of my own improvements.

Lights Up
Mix of Karnak, Alley of the Sphinxs, and Death from Above. Defend yourself in last area from Karnak level, set in the night, with enemies that are comming from above. Lights Up, please!

Download
Version 1.0

Changelog
+Added new map: Pusher
+Added spectator cameras to all maps
+Added path nodes to enemies in Beheaded City
*Changed some survival times (balance)

+Added anti-cheat teleport to the Kamikaze Obelisk (now you are not able to climb buildings, so you can survive more!)
*Fixed lighting in all levels! (at least)

<something I just forgot>

+Added new map: Fragging Frogs
+Added new map: Lights Up
+Added much more multiplayer enemies for most maps.
+Added spectator maps for the maps that didn't have any.
*Changed multiplayer survival times for most maps.
*Updated most of the portairs and loading pictures for maps.
*...And a lot of other things that I probably forgot about!

Last edited by dragon99919; 07-26-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Default Re: Egypt Survival Map Pack

Looks nice! going to download it and try it!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Oh hey, i have one error, Beheaded City says: UNABLE TO LOAD LEVEL, and the other map is o.k. but maybe you should do it bigger and more than a minigun, probably a Flamer and 2 colts, that should do it.

Nice ambient for the Kami-yard (kamikaze obelisk)!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Huh so you made the thread. Good.

For the black player model, you should check if the probe light's influence is large enough to cover the entire level.

EDIT: Don't double post, Danker. Also state what the console says about not being able to load it.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker View Post
Oh hey, i have one error, Beheaded City says: UNABLE TO LOAD LEVEL, and the other map is o.k. but maybe you should do it bigger and more than a minigun, probably a Flamer and 2 colts, that should do it.

Nice ambient for the Kami-yard (kamikaze obelisk)!
As for the first map:
Hmmm... Strange... You shouldn't have any problems with that level... Do you have Fusion DLC? Maybe I accidentally have added some stuff from Legend of the Beast DLC, as I have crumbs based from first level of that DLC. I'll keep that in mind, and see what might be wrong.

As for the second map:
I think I won't add more weapons because of balance.
That map is about shooting minigun and still watching bullet count (so you won't waste it fast - must grab randomly placed ammo pack).

Last edited by dragon99919; 05-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Btw, you could use my SSHD enemy pack, and add random super kamikazes to the kamikaze level, for variety and difficulty. Though knowing you, you'd like to make your own enemies instead. You could use both mine and your pack for these survivals.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Btw, you could use my SSHD enemy pack, and add random super kamikazes to the kamikaze level, for variety and difficulty. Though knowing you, you'd like to make your own enemies instead. You could use both mine and your pack for these survivals.
Not bad idea. ^^
I'll keep that in mind for future levels. I am now designing some sort of Bear City level, but of course with one trick that'll make it pretty original, so I might think about your enemies, and (maybe) mine.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, your Beheaded city could have your beheaded enemies as well, since you made some.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Actually, your Beheaded city could have your beheaded enemies as well, since you made some.
Yea, but they are rather hard, and I would have to port them again as they are now working as replacement for old enemies (NCF mod).
Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Didn't you release them also as a separate resource for mappers? Or maybe you just have to save them with a different name, and that's it.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I did but it has been deleted long time ago.
I still would port enemies from NCF, but I still think they are too hard. I'll let players decide.

Dear Players!
If you want to know about which enemies we are talking about, search for my NCF tool, and tell me if these enemies would be good for maps.
Thank you!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Hey I am intersting to your work. It looks very cool, I will download the Beta!

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Quote:
Btw, you could use my SSHD enemy pack, and add random super kamikazes to the kamikaze level, for variety and difficulty.
That's a good idea, maybe then it would be more interesting to fight 3000 AaaAAAaaaAAA and some Steroiding AAaaAAAAAaa every time a while

Here goes Danker's Tippy Tip: once you have survived 2 mins, try to add like a mini survival, like in Mischievous SS3 Map: There goes the neighbourhood, and it could be named "Super AaAaaA!" (a 1 min horde, only for Super 'kazies) then once again return to the regular AAAaaaAAAa
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon99919 View Post
I did but it has been deleted long time ago.
I still would port enemies from NCF, but I still think they are too hard. I'll let players decide.

Dear Players!
If you want to know about which enemies we are talking about, search for my NCF tool, and tell me if these enemies would be good for maps.
Thank you!
Actually, I think that's not even a thing. It's a survival map, you have to survive for a period of time, and you get medals for it. I think imo, that survival maps shouldn't just always stay the same, but they should escalate, like more enemies spawn, or stronger enemies switch out the weaker ones.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

New map comming soon...

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg715/scaled.php?server=715&filename=svpusher0002.jpg&res=landing
Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Updated first post. Be sure to take a look!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

I really like it, is it Alley of the Sphinxes survival version?

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
I really like it, is it Alley of the Sphinxes survival version?
You could say so. ^^
Still, it's backward, have other structures, and it's daytime.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Just tested Pusher with some friends, and it seems that map likes to crash... I have no idea why... Here is a piece of log before one of crashes, maybe someone will know what's going on:

Quote:
16:33:19 ERR: CDataPacker::UnpackStringFromHash: Cannot resolve hash 2226B020 into a string.
16:33:19 ERR: CDataPacker::UnpackStringFromHash: Cannot resolve hash 0CABADFB into a string.
16:33:19 ERR: CDataPacker::UnpackStringFromHash: Cannot resolve hash 0CABADFB into a string.
16:33:19 ERR: CDataPacker::UnpackStringFromHash: Cannot resolve hash 2226B020 into a string.
16:33:22 LOG: 2012/06/04 16:33:22: Crashed! (used process memory: 801 MB, free system memory: 1792 MB)
16:33:22 ERR: sysStartProcess("d:\gry\steam\steamapps\common\ser ious sam hd the second encounter\Bin\BugReporter_Win32.exe") - 'Invalid argument'
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

What is that DataPacker? You use the editor's Gro builder? Don't do that, it's shit and never worked. Copy an official gro file and use that to make your own gro-s.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Solais, I always use the Editor's .gro maker, you know that you need info-zip for it to work right?

Dragon, post the entire log.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Mischievous, you don't have to remind me how much shit I had to go through when you sent me your gro's back then. I told you to stop using that pos packer. It caused problems for other people as well, like the game not detecting the gro's at all, and such.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It doesn't cause problems, I haven't had any one complain that the game doesn't find the .gro file. It works flawlessly for people i get to test my map, and even works for me when I do a final check if everything's intact. I don't see why it doesn't work for you. Also what shit?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Like having copies of original content in them. Like official puppet files, and such that randomly appeared in them. Back then when you sent me the Forgotten City files, your gros were full of garbage.

Also, it wasn't with your maps especially, but with someone else's maps who also used the packer. I had to repack them manually for them to work. And told him to do the same.

And also, I just can't trust that thing, I rather do it manually, I know it always works like that, and it's really not a big deal. It's like a few seconds to do it, so why use something unreliable like that packer.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

The garbage isn't there in the final release as you've seen , the packer adds that only because people( like me ) forget to clean their Sam folder of official content re-saved by mistake. That's why I plead so much for people to make their own folders in the Content/ subpath rather than saving everything in the Sam folder, it makes cleaning it that much easier. If you get the hand of the editor packer, it's amazingly convenient and easy to use, and not for just maps.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, but if people make their own folders in their Content/ subpath, it will be inconvenient to use. That's why I decided to put the new enemy puppets back to the original Enemy puppet folders, because I was told repeatedly how inconvenient it was to have them in my own folder. For me as well.

Not to mention that insanely idiotic thing to put multiplayer/survival maps in different episode folders, that makes even hosting MP games a lot more inconvenient, as it was proved many times on the setting up phase of the Mental Marathons.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

We are not talking about the Mp thing, we gave up that topic a while back remember
I don't really see why having a Content/Solais folder is so inconvenient to use, for me at least that lets me keep good track of things, yours, others and my own. Also it prevents having people incidentally replace your stuff that has the same name. Hell if you put stuff in the original puppets folder even Ct has a chance to override them by mistake.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yeah, as of now I use a new method. I keep everything important in the Solais folder, but the puppets and behaviors are inside the original CT folders, but in a "New" folder inside those Ct folders.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Eh, I suppose that works too, still makes using the built in gro packer tool harder to use though, but I suppose you're used to it
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Wow, wow, WOW!

Nice off-top is starting, must conquer. :>
Just kidding. ^^

Solais, I'm not using gro packer, but that method of copying existing gro file. It always worked like a charm, so I'm staying with it.

Also, maps at singleplayer gamemode works well, so I have no idea why they are screwing out like that in multi. Still, here's the log.