Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #1  
Highlander

Exclamation Advance pre-invite - call to modders for upcoming workshop release

Hi everyone,

As you probably know, we will soon release Steam Workshop support for Serious Sam 3.

If you are a modder/mapper and have some modification, map pack, player model, anything..., that you would like to release to the public, please subscribe to updates on this thread. As soon as this is ready, I'll post instructions here on how to get early access and upload your .gro-s in advance, so that when Workshop is enabled for general population, your items will already be there from 0-hour.

Since this will probably be a short notice (i.e. only a few days), subscribing to the thread will send you email as soon as I post so that you can react quickly.

Thanks,
Alen
Old 10-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #2  
Werebull

Mental4 is offline Gamertag: MrMental4 PSN ID: MrMental4 Steam ID: Mental4 Raptr ID: Mental4 Send a message via MSN to Mental4 Send a message via Skype™ to Mental4 Facebook: Mental4 Twitter: Mental4 Youtube: MrMental4
Default Re: Advance pre-invite - call to modders for upcoming workshop release

Steam Workshop !!! Swag !

I post my CFT map, Sand Town !!!

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=62664

My futures mappack:
- Mental4's deathmatch (and survival) mappack (SS3)
- Arachnophobia (SS2)
- Survival map pack (SSHD)
- The Great Adventure: Part 7 (SSSE or SSR)
- The Great Adventure 2 (SS2)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #3  
buying gf

Sedinus is offline Gamertag: lol consoles PSN ID: LOLCONSOLES XFIRE ID: gadghet Steam ID: sedinus Raptr ID: sedinus Send a message via Skype™ to Sedinus Twitter: sedinus91 Youtube: sedinius

Well, I'd go with my DN:AE Sound Overhaul. The problem is, I forgot to create a *.gro, and I don't have a working PC right now, so... Would someone please do it for me? :3

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #4  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

I am ready for this.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #5  
(╯͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╯彡 ┻━┻

Dankzaii is offline Steam ID: SpazmadDankzaii

*Tries to get in* I have a couple things out there

NOT EDIT: If it serves, I would like to give on as a start my Anubis Backyard Deathmatch Map and as a mod maybe my HUDS Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious
02:11 a.m. - Devious: 11:00 PM - Skullz: i once woke up with my girlfriend giving me a blowjob and i was like "how in the world did u get it hard while i was a sleep"

Last edited by Dankzaii; 10-16-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM   #6  
"Poke me."

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Looking forward to it. I'm sure Pan and Viper have a plethora of content to get things rolling. I think Misch and Sedinus have some pretty legit stuff along with others, too.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 AM   #7  
Werebull

Artificia1 is offline Steam ID: artarrwen Send a message via Skype™ to Artificia1 Facebook: artarrwen.corr

Cool.
Maybe I'll fix my Maroon map somehow in a couple of days.

...is it going to happen along with the patch release?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #8  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinus View Post
Well, I'd go with my DN:AE Sound Overhaul. The problem is, I forgot to create a *.gro, and I don't have a working PC right now, so... Would someone please do it for me? :3
I wonder if that is allowed, since it is a huge copyright violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificia1 View Post
Cool.
Maybe I'll fix my Maroon map somehow in a couple of days.

...is it going to happen along with the patch release?
Yes.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:25 AM   #9  
Eagle Eye

Rakanishu is offline Steam ID: rakaFR Youtube: skiordiablo

Ohh..Alen is soo kind.. Thank you

I give my Dark Delilah from SSHD to SS3 !
And also, my survival map (made with Pablo) The Last Chance. *-*

-------------------------
► .::~'Showcase Thread©'~::.
► .:'][Crippler and Raka's Artillery©][':.

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Big up : beatbox - astronomy - seriouszone
► Youtube Channel
► Google +

Last edited by Rakanishu; 10-08-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #10  
Green-Eyed Monster

Devostator is offline Gamertag: Florian324 PSN ID: Devostator501 Steam ID: devostator Facebook: florian.schneider.81 Youtube: Devostatorable

Ty alen!
I will post my 2 survival maps and my 2 player models!
Maps:
Hatshepsut
Ancient Ruins
Player models:
Mecc "aka" Baz
Hatsune Miku
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #11  
buying gf

Sedinus is offline Gamertag: lol consoles PSN ID: LOLCONSOLES XFIRE ID: gadghet Steam ID: sedinus Raptr ID: sedinus Send a message via Skype™ to Sedinus Twitter: sedinus91 Youtube: sedinius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I wonder if that is allowed, since it is a huge copyright violation.
Like, how? I made the content and now I'm asking if anybody could put all that in one, easily accessible box. This way people won't have to waste time unpacking all that stuff into separate folders.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #12  
Werebull

Artificia1 is offline Steam ID: artarrwen Send a message via Skype™ to Artificia1 Facebook: artarrwen.corr

The problem is with it's contents itself, sound files are copyrighted by game's publisher (whatever games you ripped the lines and sound from).
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #13  
Furious

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devostator View Post
:
Player models:
Mecc "aka" Baz
Hatsune Miku
Sorry but these are also copyrighted and thus can't be added.

I know this is ****ing retarded in my opinion too since I can't post ANYTHING I've made for Sam 3 and SSHD combined. That's years of work down the drain.

Going by the rules stated by Valve, basically all content that is allowed on the Workshop is that made entirely by yourself and using the game's default assets. Meaning no player model mods of characters not made by yourself, no sound replacements, no Duke mods whatsoever, no maps containing bits of music, textures, whatsoever from other games (even if that said music was gotten from YouTube, like I did, or the models were freely available elsewhere).

It's freaking stupid but what can you do. IMO since these maps are made for personal use and no profit only, there shouldn't be such strict restrictions, as long as you properly document where everything was gotten from and give credit to the original authors.

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR

Last edited by Finzy; 10-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #14  
Pan
Bropan

Pan is online now Gamertag: SeriousPan PSN ID: YueStrife Steam ID: Yuethetmerchant

I obviously won't be submitting anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper45
I was thinking the other day how weird it was that we have a mod, where Snakes from MGS can stab snakes that were animated by... Viper. :P
SSHD & SS3 Multiplayer Models --- Serious Box Solid VS Mod --- Serious Fantasy: Legends
Complete Video Tutorial for SED3/3.5 Player Model Creation --- Serious Marine 3: Battle for Terra
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #15  
Werebull

While officially it is forbidden to upload copyrighted content, it seems to be enforced only upon contents which are to be purchased from in-game store (e.g. Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2)
...otherwise I do not understand how this is still there, technically it should be removed due to violation of both Workshop's and KillingFloor's legal agreements.

Last edited by Artificia1; 10-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #16  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

I would ignore the bellyaching about this and upload the mods anyways. If they get taken down, then it's no harm done. Unless some armchair copyright warrior has the guts to actually report this stuff (based on the Gmod and KF Workshops, they don't), then it'll be ok.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post

I know this is ****ing retarded in my opinion too since I can't post ANYTHING I've made for Sam 3 and SSHD combined. That's years of work down the drain.

Going by the rules stated by Valve, basically all content that is allowed on the Workshop is that made entirely by yourself and using the game's default assets. Meaning no player model mods of characters not made by yourself, no sound replacements, no Duke mods whatsoever, no maps containing bits of music, textures, whatsoever from other games (even if that said music was gotten from YouTube, like I did, or the models were freely available elsewhere).

It's freaking stupid but what can you do. IMO since these maps are made for personal use and no profit only, there shouldn't be such strict restrictions, as long as you properly document where everything was gotten from and give credit to the original authors.
Honestly, this is kind of common sense copyright law. You're taking someone else's work which was only meant to be sold as part of the original game it came from, and redistributing it for free. The music you found on Youtube and ripped models you found on the internet are just as illegal as they would be if you uploaded them onto the Workshop.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #18  
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadala View Post
I would ignore the bellyaching about this and upload the mods anyways. If they get taken down, then it's no harm done. Unless some armchair copyright warrior has the guts to actually report this stuff (based on the Gmod and KF Workshops, they don't), then it'll be ok.
I suppose so. I did browse the Skyrim recent mods list on the Workshop and noticed several plainly copyrighted mods that didn't even try to hide anything (models from Game of Thrones, FF music titled "FF music", lots of anime characters/models, TF2 stuff, some Spyro mod, etc). If needed I could even post a list of links to them since I copied them into notepad for "research".

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45
You're taking someone else's work which was only meant to be sold as part of the original game it came from, and redistributing it for free. The music you found on Youtube and ripped models you found on the internet are just as illegal as they would be if you uploaded them onto the Workshop.
Depends on your point of view. If I'm using them personally for non profit purposes it (in my opinion) should be all the same what I do with them. Everyone has the tools available to extract models from a game for instance, any 3D ripper can do that, and music can be recorded and shared with anything, and there is even an advertised free program called YT Downloader with which you can download and convert content from YouTube. Basically going with this morality all music in YouTube would be illegal save for those uploaded by the original authors, yet you see billions of videos from people uploading their favorite music.

And I don't think anyone really cares save for those armchair warriors Squadala mentioned. It's the best kind of free advertising for the original authors, that they don't even have to bother with themselves. Though I guess this isn't the topic for that discussion.

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #19  

Quote:
Depends on your point of view. If I'm using them personally for non profit purposes it (in my opinion) should be all the same what I do with them. Everyone has the tools available to extract models from a game for instance, any 3D ripper can do that, and music can be recorded and shared with anything, and there is even an advertised free program called YT Downloader with which you can download and convert content from YouTube. Basically going with this morality all music in YouTube would be illegal save for those uploaded by the original authors, yet you see billions of videos from people uploading their favorite music.
That's fine and all, but it doesn't change the legality of those things. I can download any game I want for free just for my personal use, but that doesn't mean piracy isn't illegal. In other words, just because it's easy and everyone does it doesn't mean it's okay.

Quote:
And I don't think anyone really cares save for those armchair warriors Squadala mentioned. It's the best kind of free advertising for the original authors, that they don't even have to bother with themselves. Though I guess this isn't the topic for that discussion.
Whether or not anything happens if you upload that stuff is a toss up. Squadala is probably right. Just like on Youtube, chances are illegal content can run rampant on Workshop without any real consequences. But if something does happen, you have to understand it's 100% your fault for doing something illegal.

Last edited by viper45; 10-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #20  
Furious

Downloading a game =/= using (a very limited amount) of polygons and 1 texture from a said game.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #21  
Eagle Eye

Rakanishu is offline Steam ID: rakaFR Youtube: skiordiablo

Quote:

I agree with you. I don't offence the mapper/modder.

► .::~'Showcase Thread©'~::.
► .:'][Crippler and Raka's Artillery©][':.

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Big up : beatbox - astronomy - seriouszone
► Youtube Channel
► Google +
Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #22  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
Whether or not anything happens if you upload that stuff is a toss up. Squadala is probably right. Just like on Youtube, chances are illegal content can run rampant on Workshop without any real consequences. But if something does happen, you have to understand it's 100% your fault for doing something illegal.
I don't think he'd even get in legal trouble. At worst it'd be deleted by someone from Steam and he'd get an email sent that'd bascially say "hey dude uploading that shit is not cool". I've seen big projects with copyrighted material in them get, at worst, a C&D letter. He won't get sued for porting Cloud to SS3.

Last edited by Squadala; 10-09-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #23  
Furious

Yep. The reason the guy doing the Dota 2 item got banned was that he actually tried to make business with a stolen model that he claimed as his own, and did. It'd be silly to hand me a ban over some character from a 10 year old game that isn't even well known anymore, when I even state that it isn't mine.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #24  

Quote:
Downloading a game =/= using (a very limited amount) of polygons and 1 texture from a said game.
It was an analogy. My point was just because you're doing it for non-profit or for personal use doesn't change the fact that it's illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadala View Post
I don't think he'd even get in legal trouble. At worst it'd be deleted by someone from Steam and he'd get an email sent that'd bascially say "hey dude uploading that shit is not cool". I've seen big projects with copyrighted material in them get, at worst, a C&D letter. He won't get sued for porting Cloud to SS3.
Obviously. Like I said, I think you're right. Not sure why you're telling me that. I'm just saying this doesn't make it legal.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #25  
Werebull

I'll upload my gloves and the white double barrel
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #26  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
That's fine and all, but it doesn't change the legality of those things. I can download any game I want for free just for my personal use, but that doesn't mean piracy isn't illegal. In other words, just because it's easy and everyone does it doesn't mean it's okay.
This actually depends on the country. There are some countries where downloading copyrighted content for personal use only is legal.

Well, I guess you people do what you want. I myself will remove any kind of thing from my stuff that can be considered copyrighted (even the Doom sounds of the Hell Knight remakes, even though they are not copyrighted to Doom, but some sound pack that can be bought... I'm actually thinking about that still if I'm gonna do it or not).

But when SSHD Workshop comes, I'll definitely change the Touhou music in Forgotten City to a new one. I'll try to play it safe, I think that is the best thing to do, imo.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #27  
Highlander

Since the patch 170136 is released, we are ready to start accepting workshop submission. The workshop features in the editor (for uploading) and in game (for downloading) are not yet public, but they are in the code. In order to be able to use them, you must receive an invite.

For now, Solais can send you an invite, just contact him - but only if you have some content to show. If there are any problems with preparing the content for upload, let me know. I'm subscribed to this thread and will respond with suggestions, or we will fix the code as needed. The workshop support will be released to the public once enough content is ready, and the code is stable enough.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #28  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

My Steam ID is SolaisYosei . Message me if you need invited to the Workshop group. If I already have you as friend, you'll get invited automatically anyway.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #29  
Highlander

Here's a few hints, mostly for people who haven't been using Steam Workshop on other games before, but also for some SS3 specifics:

All the Steam Workshops are here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/ . If you have the invite, you will see SS3 there. To download a mod, subscribe to it there, and the next time you start the moddable version of the game, it will start downloading. Once downloaded, it offers you to restart the game to make it effective. Same thing when unsubscribing. Note that any subscribing has no effect on the default version of the game, only on the moddable version.

To upload your mods to Workshop, use "File>Upload Content to Steam..." menu in the editor. (This also only works with an invite.) You will need to create a .gro file first, and have a preview image in .jpg format, and description text. You can always update and change your uploads later.

Note that Steam limites the max size of package to 100MB (that is more like 100 million bytes) for now. This limit will be increased by Valve gradually. For now try to fit in by:
- removing unneeded files,
- employing stronger zip compression in .gro (small gains, but easy to do),
- making sure all textures are compressed (this can be huge optimization - if quality allows) (Note the new compression support in the patch!),
- making sure that light maps, top maps, crumbs, etc are not baked/painted in too high resolution,
- finalizing the files (can yield up to 50% improvement in some cases, but there might be bugs doing that in final builds - if so, please report those)
- something else (if anyone has an idea, please let everyone else know)

We do not recommend cutting down big packages into multiple smaller ones, as Valve might not "like" that approach. They put the limit there for a reason.

Also, the current system is blocking on upload. If you are uploading a large file, editor will seem locked up. Just give it time. We will fix that in an upcoming patch.

There are a few things we still want to improve with this system, but for now it is sufficient to get you started. Just for the reference, here are some plans: download in background (so you can play while downloading), toggling downloaded content on/off (so you don't have to remove and redownload), dedicated server support for mods, allowing modding of official maps, shipping files with metadata for use by modders, etc.

Have fun!
Alen
Old 10-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #30  
buying gf

So I have to login to Steam on a PC to upload my mod? Balls