Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Talk about the stuff that makes you jive! Music, art, movies, anime, TV, YouTube, whatever! You can even show off your creations here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2015, 01:00 AM   #151   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched

They sell ice cream.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:00 AM   #152   Add To Ignore List  

I watched Ex Machina and was pleasantly surprised. You don't see my write that often
Old 09-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #153   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Somewhat offtopic, but I am really excited for The Martian to come out next week. Finished the book about two weeks ago and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite books I've read this year. As an engineer, it catered perfectly to me. It's just a question of how faithful to the book the movie will be. My enjoyment of the movie hinges on that fact.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #154   Add To Ignore List  

From what I read it's like Robinson Crusoe on Mars. It should be an interesting movie as long as the guy doesn't send Morse code back in time and someone receives it on their wrist watch or something.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #155   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

None of that, or at least there won't be if they adhere to the book Lot's of NASA folks have read the book and I recall reading an "official" statement released by some of their experts. The book does a pretty great job of staying within the "realism" of space travel. The only big caveat is the dust storm that causes the main character to be abandoned in the first place. A dust storm isn't really possible on Mars due to the extremely low air pressure.

So anyway... as long as they stay true to the book, chances of the movie fucking up are low
Old 09-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #156   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Watched last batman (rises) movie. Cliche as hell, but really good movie still. Better than i expected.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 AM   #157   Add To Ignore List  

Watched "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey" and even if I wasn't comparing it to the LOTR movies, it would be a really bad movie. I'm not sure should I even watch the other movies in the future.

- There are no interesting characters and no interesting interaction between them. It's just a wizard, a hobbit and 13 generic dwarves. Every member of the "fellowship of the ring" had character, was special and interesting in their own way, and they also all worked in pairs: Frodo had Sam, those other two hobbits had each other, Boromir was jealous of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli made fun of each other...

- The story is about a group of people going to a mountain... we already had that. And the screenplay is basically the same as the one from "the fellowship of the ring":
->first they are in the Shire, then they travel, then they reach Rivendale, then climb some mountain, but end up in the underground filled with goblins (Lotr->moria+orcs), then gandalf kills some beast (at least he didn't die this time), then the final fight (if that dwarf died like Boromir it would be too much).

- Every single creature is CGI. Why ? Those orcs in the original trilogy were all people in masks, it looked great.

- That CGI goblin king (or whatever it was) was so disgusting I couldn't watch that part of the movie. And they keep throwing it in your face with close up shots, like they want you to turn your head from the screen. It was similar with the three trolls.
That is not what this movie should be about.

- The music is reused from LOTR. That music was so great and memorable that I find it sad that they haven't managed to make something like that again.

The book is just 300 pages, which they milked as much as they could with three movies, so you get a three hour movie where not much happens. I think two movies would probably be more than enough.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-29-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:04 AM   #158   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Highly disagree about all points there, including the music (which was actually mostly original, besides like two that was reused for the sake of connection with LotR).

And yes, the book is just 300 pages, which goes and mention huge events only to gloss over them in half a passage. From what I heard about the book (never read it myself), I prefer the movies to it greatly. They are so full of adventure, they were possibly one of the few movies in the last decade worth watching. At least it didn't went doom and gloom like every other movie out there. After the first ended after 3 hours, I just wanted to watch 3 hours more, I was so excited.

I slightly agree about the characters not being very developed, but to be frank, they were less developed in the book.

I do agree that it should have been better as two movies though. The third is quite meh, because they already reached their goal and there's no real adventure anymore.

Btw, this reminds me that the extended cut of the third movie should come out in like a month. Only that's missing now, and then I can finally go on the Hobbit/LotR Extended Edition back-to-back (or more like, there and back again? ) marathon I've been planning for a while. Originally I planned to watch all 6 movies on a single day, but I realize that's impossible. Maybe 3-3 then.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 09-29-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #159   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Highly disagree about all points there, including the music (which was actually mostly original, besides like two that was reused for the sake of connection with LotR).

And yes, the book is just 300 pages, which goes and mention huge events only to gloss over them in half a passage. From what I heard about the book (never read it myself), I prefer the movies to it greatly. They are so full of adventure, they were possibly one of the few movies in the last decade worth watching. At least it didn't went doom and gloom like every other movie out there. After the first ended after 3 hours, I just wanted to watch 3 hours more, I was so excited.

I slightly agree about the characters not being very developed, but to be frank, they were less developed in the book.

I do agree that it should have been better as two movies though. The third is quite meh, because they already reached their goal and there's no real adventure anymore.
You highly disagree about all the points, except for a third of them.
When you have your marathon you will notice how the music is just an advanced remix of the LOTR tracks.
(btw, I am talking about the first Hobbit movie, I haven't seen the rest).

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-29-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #160   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I watched "The Road" from Netflix. Creepy sad film about wasteland dying world and no control, people kill each other for food...it was like so final.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #161   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Incoming Tolkien nerd alert! Regarding The Hobbit movie, I more or less agree with all of your points. However, I would credit about half of them to the source material.

For example, Tolkien always intended for The Hobbit to be a children's book that would be read at bedtime, while LOTR would be a full fledged adult novel. Therefore, characters are less developed and in general the tone of the book was much more light-hearted, even in the dark places of the book. If Jackson didn't try so hard to match the tone of LOTR and tie the two series together, The Hobbit would have been much better. He took way too many liberties with the storyline to piss off most Tolkien fans. Because of this, you get a lot of cognitive dissonance, having very shallow characters in a very dark and mature world.

Trying to develop a backstory to lead up to the events that transpired in LOTR was just unnecessary filler. Hate to tell you, but the first Hobbit movie was the best one of the three and each one got sequentially worse. Not to mention the inclusion of a token female character (since the book actually consisted of an all-male cast) with a completely superfluous love relationship that really had no impact on events that transpired. It just felt like 2/3 of the movies was just unnecessary fluff.

And I am pretty upset about all the CGI. For LOTR (can't remember the exact number), literally thousands of pieces of chainmail were handwoven for all the various extras. The workshop went to such a fine detail that they created different orc helmets depending on their rank in the horde, same with elves, humans, etc. The casual viewer won't consciously notice these nuances, but that kind of passion really reflects itself in the final product. Making all of the orcs and other creatures in CGI, IMO, is just lazy and fails to capture that same kind of passion.

As a huge Tolkien fan, I of course "liked" the movies, but felt like there was a lot of lost potential and failed to truly capture Tolkien's vision and tone for the book. One part that I felt Jackson captured very well was the Unexpected Party in Bilbo's home and the ensuing chaos. And the inclusion of one of the dwarven odes was awesome. My favorite part of the three movies by far, which coincidentally happens in the first 30 minutes But yeah, the movies definitely fell flat, and it was a sad day for me.

Last edited by NoMercy Rider; 09-29-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:10 AM   #162   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

MY favorite part in the movies was the barrel ride at the start of the second. It was just hilarious.

Btw, I still don't get why almost everyone hates CGI in movies. Since I was living, I was basically watching movies for the CGI scenes, because they always looked better to me. Or well, they gave me that fantastic feeling that made me realize what I'm watching is just so much more than reality.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:04 AM   #163   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Btw, I still don't get why almost everyone hates CGI in movies. Since I was living, I was basically watching movies for the CGI scenes, because they always looked better to me. Or well, they gave me that fantastic feeling that made me realize what I'm watching is just so much more than reality.
I have nothing against CGI, but film producers often use it in a wrong way. It doesn't age well and, looking at the budget of the heavy based CGI movies, it doesn't even help to lower the production costs. Also they often use it to make absolutely ridiculous "are you fu*king kidding me" actions sequences that are plain stupid IMO.

Simple example would be the CGI zombies in I am legend($150 million) and "real" zombies in films like 27 days later($8 million). There was no reason for those CGI zombies and it looks like shit and it breaks the immersion, because they look like characters from a video game, and not real life things.

Another example of bad CGI are the Matrix sequels, especially that ridiculous fight where CGI Neo fights hundred CGI Agent Smiths. Now compare that with the wonderfully choreographed "real" fights (with just a dash of CGI for the slow motion and stuff) from the first movie and tell me which is better ?

That being said, I think in general LOTR trilogy was a great example how to use CGI properly. It was a mix of real and CGI landscapes, real and CGI characters and creatures. That can't be said for Star Wars trilogy which went too far with CGI, and looks like crap today. Even the original series that is 20 years older aged better.

Last edited by AntonioR; 09-30-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #164   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Basically what AntonioR said. It's not that I hate CGI, I just believe there is a time and a place for CGI. LOTR truly made the perfect balance between CGI and live action. I only have a problem when a movie is oversaturated with CGI, it just takes away from the immersion factor. Especially when you can achieve the same result (and IMO, a better result) by using live actors and creative costume work. One great example of good CGI in the Hobbit movies was Smaug, everything fit together perfectly... the voice actor, motion capture, modelling, etc made for a perfect "villain."

Obviously this is all subjective, I understand that some folks may prefer CGI characters, but I think it just lacks a certain amount of emotion and realism. Just look at the below comparison shot and tell me which one you think looks more frightening and threatening:

http://i.imgur.com/qqveIbL.jpg

Just some interesting statistics from LOTR, and this level of passion shows through:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Line Cinemas
  • 12,500,000 hand-linked rings used to create chain maille by Weta workshop for the films.
  • 48,000 swords, scabbards, axes, shields made by Weta workshop for the films.
  • 15,000 costumes made by costume department for the films.
  • 900 suits of armor made by Weta workshop.
  • 300 handmade, knotted wigs made for films.
  • 200 individually crafted Orc masks created by Weta workshop.
  • 100 hand-forged, inlaid weapons crafted by Weta workshop.
Anyway, changing course. I preordered tickets for the opening night of The Martian. Our local theater has assigned seating, along with serving food and beer, so that makes everything convenient. I am pretty excited, though there is the problem that I may be hyping myself up too much for the movie. I shall report back once I have watched it.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:34 AM   #165   Add To Ignore List  
Seasons Smashings

I hated when they killed off smaug lol

but yeah I'm pretty hyped for the martian too, gonna get to see it for $3 on sunday, so hopefully it'll be good!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #166   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

I watched the Taken trilogy. Thumbs down.
It should have ended on movie #1, IMO. Would have been a definite thumbs up if it did.

P.S. CG orc skin is too smooth and clean; Costume orc skin looks like crap.
Orc skin is supposed to look like crap. Costume orcs win.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #167   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Finally watched The Martian last night, I was not disappointed. Loved every minute of it and I think most science geeks will enjoy it immensely as well. They took a few liberties in the movie for the sake of time, and Watney doesn't explain why he does everything, like he does in the book. But that is understandable since that would bore the audience to tears. Anyway, great movie.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:55 AM   #168   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Good to hear that I have something to look forward to when I go to the cinema to watch it.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #169   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

The wife took me to see The Maze 2.
I liked the first movie, hought it was pretty original, a bit slow, but good story.
The 2nd one seems like they are trying to make a new Hunger Games series, and they draw out the 3 events that happen so that if they keep going this way, they can have 5 to 6 more movies.
They certainly could have had so much more story, and so much more happen.
But, I still like the concept of the movies, but I will catch the next few when I can watch them all in a row, instead of at the movie theatre.

On a side note, The Hateful Eight looks like it is going to be bad arsed! Not out til december though.
Want!
Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #170   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Just finished Jurassic world. Not a bad movie, just your typical american movie; some drama, some action, quiet some comedy, at the end, everyone works together to win the great evil.....Not really much else to say about it...
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #171   Add To Ignore List  
Seasons Smashings

no joke, The martian was an amazing movie, right next to mad max for movie of the year right now....guess i'm gonna half to go read the book!
Old 10-05-2015, 01:33 AM   #172   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
Just finished Jurassic world. Not a bad movie, just your typical american movie; some drama, some action, quiet some comedy, at the end, everyone works together to win the great evil.....Not really much else to say about it...
I thout jw was the best of the jurrasic films, hands down. A definite watch movie.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 AM   #173   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Just watched Martians today - it was quite good.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #174   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by librin.so.1 View Post
P.S. CG orc skin is too smooth and clean; Costume orc skin looks like crap.
Orc skin is supposed to look like crap. Costume orcs win.
This sums it up perfectly. You have a human inside a weird costume and a bit of "uncanny valley" feeling kicks in and makes it look more terrifying. The white orc looks like some dude from Avatar, not really scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
I thout jw was the best of the jurrasic films, hands down. A definite watch movie.
Nothing can beat that feeling in the 90s when you first saw CGI dinosaurs, there was nothing like that. I remember watching a documentary back then, I think it was "Walking with Dinosaurs", like it was the greatest thing ever. Now we take all that fancy stuff for granted. I think virtual reality could bring back that feeling of being amazed by something like that.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #175   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Nah, not even cose...JP1 was actually something rather refreshing at the time...this was ok, but i most of the time felt like i watched that old movie Bethoween....(the dog one).....just your usual family drama, nothing special about it honestly. JP1 was kinda much more memorable at the time.

In 1 month, i doubt i'll remember a single thing from JW.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #176   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Jp1 was the only movie (back then) I walked out on not once, but 3 times.
2x at the movie theatre, 1x on vhs.
I just could not get into the movie past the part where the water glass thumped and they hid under the jeep. That part rocked the house, but it went downhill for me after that. I did manage to get to 15 minutes to the end 1x though, but still left.
Robocop 1 was the same for me, except I kept falling asleep during the movie, lol. Dont know why.
But, itvwasnt until this year that I finally finished robocop all the way through for the 1st time. I still fell asleep during it 2x before finally getting all the way the 3rd time.

I will say I liked robocop remake 20x better than the original though. SO good.

Shrug.
I am weird.

Last edited by Dave3d; 10-07-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #177   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I super love watch JP 1. I might have over 50 times watch this movie...
Old 10-10-2015, 02:54 AM   #178   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Silence of the lanbs is like that for me.
Saw it at LEAST 50 times, probably more.
:p
Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #179   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Quote:
Jp1 was the only movie (back then) I walked out on not once, but 3 times.
2x at the movie theatre, 1x on vhs.
I just could not get into the movie past the part where the water glass thumped and they hid under the jeep. That part rocked the house, but it went downhill for me after that. I did manage to get to 15 minutes to the end 1x though, but still left.
Robocop 1 was the same for me, except I kept falling asleep during the movie, lol. Dont know why.
But, itvwasnt until this year that I finally finished robocop all the way through for the 1st time. I still fell asleep during it 2x before finally getting all the way the 3rd time.

I will say I liked robocop remake 20x better than the original though. SO good.

Shrug.
I am weird.
And I have learned we have very opposite tastes in movies.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #180   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Focus - 7/10

Almost gave it an 8. It was a fun watch initially, it kept me wondering who was playing who and how. But after sleeping and eating and thinking about it for a little bit, there wasn't anything there for repeat viewings. I saw it once, which was worth it, but I probably won't ever watch it again.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN