Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Shuriken is offline Send a message via AIM to Shuriken
Default Unofficial SS2 FAQ

WIP. Suggestions welcome. I'm sure I made mistakes, and was too lazy to look up the correct way to spell Take2.

Q:Isn't Serious Sam 2 already out?
A:No. The first three Serious Sam games (Serious Sam:The First Encounter, Serious Sam:The Second Encounter, and Serious Sam:The Next Encounter) were not SS2. Serious Sam 2 is based off of the Serious Engine 2 technology, and will be much different than the previous games in terms of sophistication, whereas the first games were all on similar engines. The Croatian humor and insane combat will still be there of course, but it will be complemented by stunning graphics and other features.

Q:When is the release date?
A:When it's done. The publisher has not even announced the game yet, so consider all release dates as hearsay, as none of them are from official sources.

Q:When will the Demo be released?
A:There has been no information released. Serious Sam:The First Encounter had two Tech tests released, but that does not mean that SS2 will be the same. If there is a Test or Demo, it will be released at a time decided by Croteam and their developer, and all the whining and assaults on Croteam headquarters with NERF guns will not speed it's delivery.

Q:Will Croteam release movies or screenshots?
A:There is one movie released of a Serious Engine 2 tech demonstration from the Game Developers Conference (GDC) which can be found here There are a number of screenshots from that movie which are found here along with a render (no, the motorcycle shot is NOT ingame) and a picture of a snowmobile model. Asking for more will not get you anywhere, as the publisher has asked Croteam not to release any more information. There have been several developer reports in the past if you are interested.

Q:What weapons will be in the game?
A:We don't know. There is a great dicussion thread for suggestions in this forum. Likely, many of your favorite weapons will return, but you can be sure that there will be new surprises.

Q:Will there be a public beta?
A;Almost certainly. Gamemecca had a Serious Sam:The Second Encounter tournament, the grand prize being the first public beta spot. See this thread for details.

Q:How can I become a beta tester?
A:Well, the selection process is up to Croteam and their publisher, but best bet is to become a regular contributing member of this community.

Q:Will Sam have his shades back?
A:No idea.

Q:Why have the Croteam updates disappeared?
A:Croteam is very busy making SS2 as incredible as possible. Also, their publisher as elected to keep things under wraps. Hopefully that means that SS2 will be getting more spotlight time.

Q:Why does Sam keep getting uglier and uglier?
Aanquishing alien hordes does that to a guy. However, there are rumors that he has the same plastic surgeon as the Jackson siblings. This does not fit with his obvious manliness, obviously, so it should be taken with a large box of salt.

Q:Will SS2 be a budget priced but full size game again?
A:Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case. However, it is quite possible that SS2 may have even more levels than the previous installments.

Q:Will there be vehicles?
A:Yes. So far a snowmobile and a motortrike have been glimpsed, but they are of course subject to change.

Q:Will multiplayer be improved?
A:Serious Sam has always been a single player/co-op oriented game. But even so, it is likely that multiplayer will get some more polishing this time around, especially in terms of netcode.

Last edited by Shuriken; 02-13-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

That movie was a tech showcase of the Serious Engine 2 not Serious Sam 2.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:18 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus
Gah, that's even what I was thinking. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Does this mean the things in the movie will not be found in SS2?
Old 02-13-2005, 04:09 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Raindrops and roses

Thanks Shuriken, good idea for a thread.
"To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom." - Proverbs 10:23
Old 02-13-2005, 08:35 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW
Does this mean the things in the movie will not be found in SS2?
Welcome to the forums!

We don't know what stuff you see in the movie will actually be in the game, but you should know that for the first engine, there was a nice feature showcase at croteam.com and all stuff shown was not actual game content later.
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 02-13-2005, 10:59 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Guitar Maniac

dmgak is offline Send a message via ICQ to dmgak Send a message via AIM to dmgak Send a message via MSN to dmgak

well if that place on the movie is or isnt in game, i would still like to see a babylon city like that one, or whatever it was, cos that would kick ass. one level with about 10000 enemies altogether, mwahahahaha.

(starts to map for ss:se)
Old 02-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Well I'm pretty sure the grass will be in it...
Old 02-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

That 'level' might not have even been possible to play, just to run and have it come out as a good looking clip. But I'm not on the inside, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
Thanks Shuriken, good idea for a thread.
Thanks, hopefully it will cut down on repeat questions, if I can keep it at the top of the forum.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:55 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Don't forget the crates. Every game needs crates.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Raindrops and roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken
Thanks, hopefully it will cut down on repeat questions, if I can keep it at the top of the forum.
Stickied, just make sure to keep up with any new questions that you come across.
"To do evil is like sport to a fool, But a man of understanding has wisdom." - Proverbs 10:23
Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

I could put some things in there... if I was allowed to know any.. wait.. I am.. but you're not.. sucks to be you
Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murtle
Stickied, just make sure to keep up with any new questions that you come across.
Well thank you!

Quote:
I could put some things in there... if I was allowed to know any.. wait.. I am.. but you're not.. sucks to be you
Well I'm sure if it was important for people to know, then you would be able to tell us. If questions come up that aren't allowed to be answered, please tell me about them, and that they can't be answered, and I'll put it on here.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Your answer is this. Nothing exists officially and we can't say anything more than that.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Guitar Maniac

dmgak is offline Send a message via ICQ to dmgak Send a message via AIM to dmgak Send a message via MSN to dmgak

Quote:
umm... when did i mention grass??? or were you not talking to me?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

So pretty much, we no next to nothing about Sam 2, or if there even will be a SS 2. Am I correct? Sam has a nice new set of jeans though and hardcore dual pistols
Old 02-14-2005, 07:34 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgak
umm... when did i mention grass??? or were you not talking to me?
There was video in the grass.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:16 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuriken
There was video in the grass.
You probably mean grass in the video. In one of the reports there was something about four-wheeled vehicles as well:

Quote:
First functional Vehicles
The newest news. The first, in the World not, four wheel vehicles are implemented and ready to use. They still suffer from a 'early-in-development' sickness, but it's nice to finally see them and drive them through our beautiful wide-open environments.
Also, we would like to mention that International Health Day passed with accent on traffic safety, and we will join support making only safe vehicles, not caring about design and comfort. Call 0800-Sam-I-Am-2 (1000$/min incl. tax) for additional info.
One more news, while we are on vehicles and safety. Our dearest secretary Josipa Kraljevic (Jo Smallking) passed driving exam, so pay special attention while driving!

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 02-26-2005, 12:24 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

If there's one thing I've learned, its not to speculate on these forums.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

I note that we have gone from a release date of "2nd quarter 2004" to an unspecified, unknown, informationless void of doubt and confusion?

can you say "duke nukem forever"?

seriously though, I absolutely loved SS, and ss-se. Probly my favorite games of the last 8 years or so. But every time I see that there is no news, I lose a little interest in ss2. every time I hear the vague, manage-o-speak language of the skimpy news we do get, I think it more and more likely that this product I have been anticipating for so long is simply never going to arrive. I am beginning to think it would be best for me to give up on the SS series, and simply forget about it.

contrary to popular belief, no news is usually bad news.

Last edited by mikeydude; 03-07-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

I think you're going a bit far here, CT has stated that they aren't allowed to release any information to the public, so that's why we don't get any news. And to treat it like duke nukem forever would be quite far fetched, too. It's just the way many games go, being delayed for some time, etc. I think it's better not to know a specific release date than having a release date that isn't kept anyway.

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

You lose interest... so what?

Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Don't blame Croteam, they're building an engine from scratch.

Or would you like to play a 2005 game in the Serious Engine 1?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnector
Or would you like to play a 2005 game in the Serious Engine 1?
And that would be stupid because then your playing SS:TE (third encounter)

Game engines aren't all about graphics, they're also about gameplay and other stuff so if CT used their old engine you wouldn't be able to use vehicles and such that CT promise to use in SS2

Remember, patience is a virtue. Just play both TFE and TSE until it's released or play other games
Old 03-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue
And that would be stupid because then your playing SS:TE (third encounter)

Game engines aren't all about graphics, they're also about gameplay and other stuff so if CT used their old engine you wouldn't be able to use vehicles and such that CT promise to use in SS2

Remember, patience is a virtue. Just play both TFE and TSE until it's released or play other games
Amen.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:59 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue
Never played BTBA?

Old 03-10-2005, 11:38 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Thats right, making an engine from scratch is time-consuming and involves excruciating amounts of coding and debugging. Thats why so many games use previous engines like Unreal, Source, Quake 3, etc. SS2 could have just used a modified Source engine to power their game like so many other developers and it would have looked just fine, but I admire them for putting in the extra work to deliver a game with an engine customized to their needs, which will undoubtedly play better than anything else (unless Croteam somehow screws it up, which, given their track record, is highly unlikely).
Old 03-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion777
Thats right, making an engine from scratch is time-consuming and involves excruciating amounts of coding and debugging. Thats why so many games use previous engines like Unreal, Source, Quake 3, etc. SS2 could have just used a modified Source engine to power their game like so many other developers and it would have looked just fine, but I admire them for putting in the extra work to deliver a game with an engine customized to their needs, which will undoubtedly play better than anything else (unless Croteam somehow screws it up, which, given their track record, is highly unlikely).
The SS games are pretty much tech demos for their engines. They weren't going to be using someone elses engine for their flagship engine, since it would no longer be their flagship engine.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:13 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion777
Amen to that. The Source engine may be fine for Half-Life 2 but can it handle 200 enemies on-screen all at once, all charging at you, shhoting at you, in a massive outdoor area? AFAIK, only the Serious Engine's been able to do something like that so far, unless you want to go back to the original Doom... LOL
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Croteam also said that there will be vehicles both for human and for monsters! Wohooo!