Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  

Question Would you like a classic sequel to The Second Encounter ?

Usually people say The Second Encounter is the best game in the series. Personally I think with that game Croteam really nailed it. TSE was basically the same stuff as TFE, but improved in every way: more ancient locations, more level variety, larger battles, more enemies, more weapons, more boss battles, more weird gravity stuff...

I'm still waiting for a sequel to THAT game.

The Next Encounter and SS2 are closest to that formula, but are both flawed games and it's been 13 years since SS2. Next Encounter has the ancient locations I heavily associate with Serious Sam, but with the limits of PS2 and another developer, it's just not on the same level of quality. SS2 had the different locations, ton of new enemies, a lot of (not very good) bosses, some vehicles, but with smaller levels, weak weapons, questionable art direction... I like that game a lot, but it's just not on the same level.

(I will give a honorable mention here of Will Rock which is so similar to TFE, set in ancient Greece, but it wasn't a very good game.)

SS3 was basically just a modernized remaster of TFE, and with so many enemies and weapons missing, with some poor level design and questionable new enemies, it just feels like a step back from TSE to TFE again (and maybe a bit further back).

Now, with SS4 they are trying to reinvent the wheel again with modern-ish settings, while I think the classic approach of TSE has still a lot to offer. So, would you mind a sequel to that game, a classic Third Encounter we never got ?

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-15-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Re: Would you like a classic sequel to The Second Encounter ?

The Third Encounter sounds pretty nice, though I would prefer SS2R over that. While I am excited for Serious Sam 4, I think that SS2R will be when the series might really go back to its roots.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Yup, classic 3rd Encounter FTW.
Although I want the SS2R and SS:NE HD, I have already played those, so a NEW old school, real 3rd Encounter, with no new things or MP or anything like that, just classic play with good levels in a modern engine? Heck yeah.
Its what I was hoping SS4 would be, but it looks like thats not going to happen.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Am I the only one here that wants to series to evolve and doesn't want Croteam to make the exact same game over and over again?

Last edited by LordAngus; 06-29-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
Am I the only one here that wants to series to evolve and doesn't want Croteam to make the exact same game over and over again?
No, I love it when the series evolves, though there can be good and bad changes made. I don't know about you, but I think Serious Sam might not have as much recognition as The First Encounter anymore.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
Change just for the sake of change is utterly pointless. Don't fix a formula that isn't broken. And advocates of change like yourself don't get to complain. You've had SS2 that is vastly different in tone (goofy) and gameplay from the first game, SS3 which is dead serious (reloading, sprinting, bleak colors, realistic weapons...), and now batshit crazy SS4 with 100,000 enemies and giant maps.

Do tell me about all those games just like TFE/TSE that have been made since that game. I'll be waiting.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

My only problem with SE is the too fast level progress. I like the feeling, when you start in some temple, then walk tombs and canyons in order to reach the city... FE had very smooth progress. SE takes you and throws you in bunch of levels with no smoothness.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I think The Second Encounter was great because it perfected their formula. As you mentioned, it improved upon TFE in nearly every way. Your description of Sam 3 as essentially being a modernization of TFE is also a fair assessment. I think that Croteam was just trying for a new style with new mechanics and features, so it should follow that Sam 4 will perfect what 3 started similar to the relationship between TFE and TSE.

However, I just wasn't that into Sam 3 after the honeymoon period ended. I don't necessarily want them to make something similar to TSE either. I would just like for them to continue moving forward while retaining what made the first few games so enjoyable. There is a lot of room for growth in the series. Weapons can be improved considerably or replaced with more interesting variants. Environments should be more ambitious and imaginative instead of just being based on real life locations.

After seeing the Sam 4 previews, I'm not expecting much. I think we'd be lucky if it was a noticeable improvement over 3.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Of all SS series, I most remember the Grand Cathedral (SS2), including the Ice Kingdom, and the big red Highlander Aludran Reptiloid (apparently it wasn't the "Bride"). The ending of TSE was very good... (YET non-canon) !?!?! I did liked the cyborg spiders too. Yet, some parts were weird, like SS become "small" when fighting with the BEE, and having to light the match, etc. The Wind god was reasonable part of the game (and a good game play too). The worst... those clowns on unicycles. I think the SS2 was the longest game play (?), had some good game variations.

SS3 was alright (yes, good too). TFE was good as well, even it was all sand.

From the look from SS4 trailer, it sure looks different, but looks promising with AIs (like enemies can see obvious dangers so they go around, I could be wrong but that's how it looks like to me).