Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 10:14 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt
Default XBox Console Versus XBox PC

Some diehard XBox think that the PC version will have *worse* graphics because they'll "tone it down" for the standard PC. I think that it will be the same with more lods/mips etceteras for the PC version and the graphics will be adjustable to way better than XBox's, and there will be mouse/keyboard and better netplay.

Whatchoo think?
Old 12-26-2001, 10:32 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Team Slipmachine

SerialKilla is offline Send a message via MSN to SerialKilla

i think Xbox sucks big time, PC will always be best
Old 12-26-2001, 10:46 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

sartophiketle is offline Send a message via ICQ to sartophiketle

i think to start off with the xbox graphics will be better...... but computer technology moves very very quickly, alot quicker than the console market, so it won't take long before pc's are way past xbox technology.... and thats when microsoft will try and release an xbox 2 or something to try and stay on top of things but they won;t for long.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:54 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Um.... no!

The PC is the BEST multi-purpose machine, but will always be limited on games. Simply do to the fact that the developers serve the broadest gaming audience and not the more cutting edge gamers. Console/PC AI almost doesn't count anymore because nearly every game will have some sort of 'Net ability, so AI will most likely not be REALLY further developed(except by maybe sims).

I have to also disagree with Nexidos. If your game has gone 'gold' and is released why go and do 6 months more work on the game(for simply graphical and sound "improvements") when it's a nearly automatic port over to the computer? After you've worked on your system compatiblity problems. The graphics will probably be limited to what a GeForce 2 card can do, at least for a few dozen months.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:22 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Um.... no!

The PC is the BEST multi-purpose machine, but will always be limited on games. Simply do to the fact that the developers serve the broadest gaming audience and not the more cutting edge gamers. Console/PC AI almost doesn't count anymore because nearly every game will have some sort of 'Net ability, so AI will most likely not be REALLY further developed(except by maybe sims).
of course pc's will always rule as multipurpose machines, thats what they're built to be... the xbox isn't really a mutlipurpose machine as much a s microsoft would like it to be.... i was just saying that to start off with the xbox will have better graphics than what a pc can handle at decent speeds, it will be a matter of only months be4 the pc flys past it.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:37 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I'd be curious to see how they selling.

I'd never buy one cause I have a computer
already. Seemed like a colossal marketing
blunder on microsoft's part.

Around here, before the release, they
had some package deal for 699. The
next week it was 599.

That told me no one was buying xboxes.

Kinda stoopid to sell for that much when a gamecube or playstation
much less.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:39 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  

greedy bill
Old 12-26-2001, 01:11 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

I agree Homo. Why buy a 600 dollar console whose games will be released on the PC or another console when you can get one for much less with games that cant be found somewhere else. ie: Metal gear solid 2 or pretty much any game on the cube.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 12-26-2001, 01:31 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quoth is offline Send a message via ICQ to Quoth Send a message via AIM to Quoth Send a message via MSN to Quoth

That's just basic economics. Ever walked past a stall where a guy is selling flowers early in the afternoon, then back in the evening? The prices in the evening will be about half what they were before. There will always be some people who will buy at the high price, so you might as well flog it to those suckers first and then drop the price to sell to your main market. How long the price stays high depends on competition - in this case the competition is high so Microsoft can't afford to keep the prices high for very long because people will lose interest otherwise and go for other products.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:28 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
or mr man..whatever

Distro Stu is offline Send a message via ICQ to Distro Stu

ps2's are now selling for half the price of what they were when they were released, but theyve sold very well and ppl are still buying them
Old 12-26-2001, 02:32 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish
That's just basic economics. Ever walked past a stall where a guy is selling flowers early in the afternoon, then back in the evening? The prices in the evening will be about half what they were before. There will always be some people who will buy at the high price, so you might as well flog it to those suckers first and then drop the price to sell to your main market. How long the price stays high depends on competition - in this case the competition is high so Microsoft can't afford to keep the prices high for very long because people will lose interest otherwise and go for other products.

Actually, Microsoft can afford to give the machines away. He is selling them for a loss now, and when they are saturated into the market, he will raise the price on games and peripherals.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:52 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

ShadowBuilder is offline Send a message via ICQ to ShadowBuilder

Quote:
Originally posted by mr man
ps2's are now selling for half the price of what they were when they were released, but theyve sold very well and ppl are still buying them
Where? They are still $299.00 (US) here. Same as when they were introduced.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:07 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Cuppa tea?

PC games, on high graphics, the best.. no Console can ever touch that :-P
Old 12-26-2001, 03:14 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Yeah, PS2s are the same price, and they have sold close to 20,000 copies in the US (can't remember the stats), more than any other console. And I read an article about Microsoft and that it is estimated, that if Xbox sales continue this way, they will lose 4 billion dollars by 2004, ouch! Gamecube doesn't have that many great exclusive games, MGS2 is not exclusive to Gamecube, Luigi's Mansion looks like crap (wow vacuuming ghosts), but I admit, melee looks great. However, Nintendo has admitted that the Cube doesn't run up to the PS2's performance.

In an article, Sony made a machine that tested a game's performance to the highest capacity of the machine. They tested this on Gran Turismo 3, the game that many thought pushed the boundaries of the PS2, but they found out it only used 25% of the PS2 capabilities. So they're sending these machines to developers, so lucky PS2 owners like me, expect better games in the future .
Old 12-26-2001, 03:56 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Digital Artist

Chimera is offline Send a message via ICQ to Chimera Send a message via AIM to Chimera

Sometimes I think developing for a console would much much easier than on a PC platform. Think about it, once you get the game done if it works on the console you don't have to worry about it. With PCs you have to think about different hardware and compatability issues. Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming. but I haven't seen too many games recently that look as good as some of these new console titles.
Old 12-26-2001, 03:57 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Eternal Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Prodigal Son

Actually, Microsoft can afford to give the machines away. He is selling them for a loss now, and when they are saturated into the market, he will raise the price on games and peripherals.
That's one of the reasons why selling to a loss is illegal in our country
Old 12-26-2001, 03:59 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

Right now, I say f**k all new consoles. Call it being old and not accepting the new, but none of the current consoles have caught my attention in any way. Not in the games, not in the controller, nothing. My Dreamcast has a few things none of your consoles will ever have: Quake 1, NES Games, SNES Games, Genesis Games, Neo-Geo Games.

If I -had- to go for one, it'd be Xbox because people already figured out how to crack the protection on the games, now they just need to work on compression to put them on PC CD-Roms. This to me, means soon I can play Quake 1 and my SNES Games on an Xbox. Also, with Quake 2 going Open-Source, I would not be suprised if that got ported as well.

The second a console becomes 'upgradable', it becomes a PC. Thus, all consoles are either a 'downgrade' of a PC right now, or will be within say... 6 months.

AkumA

Shameless self-promotion - click here to see my portfolio.
Shamelessly ripping films apart with the Popcorn Nazis.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:01 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

Quote:
Originally posted by Chimera
Sometimes I think developing for a console would much much easier than on a PC platform. Think about it, once you get the game done if it works on the console you don't have to worry about it. With PCs you have to think about different hardware and compatability issues. Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming. but I haven't seen too many games recently that look as good as some of these new console titles.
It is alot easier to make for a console platform, but that's because like you said, you never have to worry about compatability issues. And don't worry, in say... 6 months, the PC Hardware will surpass the Console Hardware and you will start to see things the other way around with titles. Also, have you even PLAYED the SS:SE DEMO?!?! I swear, that thing looks even better than MGS:SoL and Luigi's Mansion thrown together.

AkumA

Old 12-26-2001, 04:14 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt

Consoles are different than computers. Easy as that. Computers don't allow you to sit on a couch with your friend with a simple controller and brawl each other.

You play consoles on your TV, the games are a lot more simplistic, and often times a lot more fun. PC Games have superior technology or depth, but console games are often times just a lot more fun to pick up and play. Tony Hawk 2 on PC was, in my humble opinion, not near as much fun as Tony Hawk 2 on PS1...the controller makes a huge difference as well and that is just one case of ports not capturing the original game.

PC rules FPS games always.
Old 12-26-2001, 04:32 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Nexidos, all you need is a good rig, a S Video Out to put it on your TV screen, and a gamepad or two. I don't know if todays technology allows you to go more than say... 3 (1 in gamepad port, 2 in USB).

But one day, someone will make like a Multi-Tap for either the GamePort or USB... I think that is when consoles are going to start to twindle. The advantage PC would easily have over console, is you could play mods split screen from the net... and that would be damn cool.

AkumA

Old 12-26-2001, 05:48 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
Originally posted by AkumaReihai
Nexidos, all you need is a good rig, a S Video Out to put it on your TV screen, and a gamepad or two. I don't know if todays technology allows you to go more than say... 3 (1 in gamepad port, 2 in USB).

But one day, someone will make like a Multi-Tap for either the GamePort or USB... I think that is when consoles are going to start to twindle. The advantage PC would easily have over console, is you could play mods split screen from the net... and that would be damn cool.

AkumA
Yeah!
My laptop = smaller than XBOX.. and better in every respect, except for video card (and maybe other things).. and it's less weight..

It rocks.. I have SVideo ports, and everything..

Computers really own Consoles.. Upgradable, internet, more than just games, keyboards (besides some consoles), more features (more buttons, controls), easily plug in a controller, and everything.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:18 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Goldern Oldie

In the UK the PS2 was 300 now is 199 the a 100 dropp proably cos we dont like the PS 2 as much. The ps 1 Out sell's it big brother buy 8 - 1 still in the UK not suppriseing realy.

just to let you know
Old 12-26-2001, 07:01 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  

Hey Akuma if you ever find anything about making computer games work on the Xbox then let me know
Old 12-26-2001, 07:17 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
Originally posted by Viper45
Hey Akuma if you ever find anything about making computer games work on the Xbox then let me know
This will probably be done within months...
The XBOX being a computer, basically... people just have to find out how it works, and then exploit it..

Chances are we'll be seeing XBOX games on the PC.. like the PS on pC..
Old 12-26-2001, 09:46 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Naythn is offline Send a message via ICQ to Naythn

Quote:
Originally posted by The friendly newbie

That's one of the reasons why selling to a loss is illegal in our country
Then all consoles are illegal because they're all sold at a loss.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:29 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

strossos is offline Send a message via AIM to strossos

all this stuff about how the xbox has better graphics is totally obsolite unless u have a really expencive tv that....like hdtv....if u have a crappy old tv its like having a 10 inch monitor with refresh rates of 13, so there!

gimme pc anyday of the week
Old 12-27-2001, 12:18 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Quote:
Originally posted by strossos
all this stuff about how the xbox has better graphics is totally obsolite unless u have a really expencive tv that....like hdtv....if u have a crappy old tv its like having a 10 inch monitor with refresh rates of 13, so there!

gimme pc anyday of the week
Technically, the same is for all new consoles. A TV can only get so clear without being HDTV, so to me, GameCube, PS2 and Xbox would ALL look the same resolution thanks to my old mono TV.

The last system that I could notice the clarity on was the Dreamcast and it's 800x600 capabilities (or was it 640x480?). I know the PS was half of either, because the Bleemcast would take the PS resolution for games and double it for more clarity etc..

AkumA

Old 12-27-2001, 12:25 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Do the Mario!

SuperMang! is offline Send a message via AIM to SuperMang!

im quite surprised the ps2 didnt do that........
Old 12-27-2001, 01:22 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  

i really don't like the PS2, the graphics looks absolutely horrible on every game execpt ffx.... i know a few people that are getting one but ONLY for final fantasy X

the best thing about the PS2 is that it can run PS1 games, but you may aswell just buy a PS1.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:10 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Quote:
Originally posted by sartophiketle
i really don't like the PS2, the graphics looks absolutely horrible on every game execpt ffx.... i know a few people that are getting one but ONLY for final fantasy X

the best thing about the PS2 is that it can run PS1 games, but you may aswell just buy a PS1.
Somebody who agrees..
PS2 is just a reason for you to upgrade...
The only thing it offers, is slight speed upgrade, and slightly better graphics..

"wanna play newer games? gotta shell out the money for the new console!"