Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Serious Sam Petition

Hello fellow Serious Sam players,

we all know that Serious Sam: The Second Encounter does not have the attention it deserves at the moment. Because of many discovered bugs, glitches and cheats, many players stopped playing. We want to convince Croteam that this game, Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, is still fun to play and needs more support by Croteam. That's why we started a petition.

As confirmed by a poll on GameZone24.net (with 100% of the votes on Yes), this game needs a new, fresh start. If you, like us, think that Serious Sam: The Second Encounter needs more support by Croteam, please sign this petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/SSam0101/petition.html

Thanks in advance,
the people from GameZone24.net

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 03-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe
Default Re: Serious Sam Petition

Uhhh, what?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Sorry dude, i'm all for it, but CT has more important things to do now then to support old game. TSE was awesome, but CT needs to look into future, not past.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Also gamezone24 is a cesspool of stupidity, if Croteam did things the way GZ24 wanted, they would have been bankrupted long ago.

Here is a better idea. How about asking Croteam to open-source SEG1 so YOU can do the legwork of coding, modelling and designing a bug-free game with it?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

now that is a good idea!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

just for arguments sake, maybe one of the GZ people can answer the question: if CT was to spend a whole bunch of money rewriting SS:SE then how would they get it back? New sales? on an 8 year old game? or what? and which games out there today have no people complaining about lag? Because I want to buy that game...
Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Valens View Post
Also gamezone24 is a cesspool of stupidity, if Croteam did things the way GZ24 wanted, they would have been bankrupted long ago.
No need for insults.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Valens View Post

Here is a better idea. How about asking Croteam to open-source SEG1 so YOU can do the legwork of coding, modelling and designing a bug-free game with it?
Damn you Valerie, you can't decide for the Croteam, you don't have right to kill your petition only because you don't like GameZone. just shut the **** up, again.

(sorry for trashs, i'm just revolted by his behavior against us)

please read the petition, please take the time to think about it...

A serious sam SE without cheats anymore, bugs and gliths fixed with a new patch, new players, more players, more servers, and why not the game on Steam???
As we say in the petition, Serious sam is for us THE best FPS and nothingelse is able to change this opinion and we are ready to do all for that Serious Sam come back on the TOP!

Last edited by Metaliman; 03-17-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Dude, you don't get it. We all love TSE. But the fact is that vey few people play it nowdays, even if you don't think so. And croteam would probably be mad if they would start working so much on 6,8 years old game(or so), when they are already working on TWO games, which is already overill for such a small studio. That would be simply suicide for them. They neither have enough resources to work on 3 games at the same time, nor is there enough intrest in TSE. That's a simple fact. CT must pay their bills too, and they won't earn any money by focusing in game that almost nobody plays instead of creating new game.

Sorry man, but that's reality. TSE is just waaay too old for that.

But as val said, you can ask CT to make seg1 opensource, so that you can do all that by yourself.

If CT decides to release TSE on steam, then maybe they will fix some thing here and there, but that the best you can hope for.

And besides that, TSE had really small number of bugs. Many discovered bugs? Sorry, but that simply is not true. Maybe you find couple of bugs, but many of them? If there really are so many of them, they are very minor, as i never noticed them.
Though net code is difrent thing, but again, it would take way too much time and money to rewrite that, so you better forget about it.

I want to CT rether make kickass ss3, then to see them working on oldtimer TSE. Don't get me wrong, tse was great game for it's time and is still fun to play, but not for the most of people out there. And if you want to do something like that, you must make sure that CT will get all that money back, and that can be only done by reselling TSE, but we all know that nobody will buy TSE now, or almost nobody atleast.

So lets rether ask CT to make kickass SS3 and we will all be happy.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
TwL
Gone Again

Free version of SS:SE with bugs and netcode fixed?

To be honest Zocky even if they have the resources I doubt that they will give a thought for this.

I thought it is too much to ask for the sky but the petition managed to ask for the moon.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaliman View Post
Damn you Valerie, you can't decide for the Croteam
Uhh.......she wasn't.
She made a suggestion sure but that's not exactly a final decision for CroTeam now is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaliman
(sorry for trashs, i'm just revolted by her behavior against us)
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaliman
you don't have right to kill your petition only because you don't like GameZone. just shut the **** up, again.
She does have the right to her own opinion though. Yes, she shouldn't have told her opinion like that.
"Kill the petition"......wait...what?

The only way to do what you ask is for CroTeam to release SEG1 and people with enough coding knowledge can make their own unofficial patch.

CroTeam simply don't have the time or money to spend on fine-tuning SS:FE/SE at this point in time.
They have two games that they have to get on with.

Last edited by Deepblue; 03-17-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
Dude, you don't get it. We all love TSE. But the fact is that vey few people play it nowdays, even if you don't think so. And croteam would probably be mad if they would start working so much on 6,8 years old game(or so), when they are already working on TWO games, which is already overill for such a small studio. That would be simply suicide for them. They neither have enough resources to work on 3 games at the same time, nor is there enough intrest in TSE. That's a simple fact. CT must pay their bills too, and they won't earn any money by focusing in game that almost nobody plays instead of creating new game.

Sorry man, but that's reality. TSE is just waaay too old for that.
it's only a theory
Old 03-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

it's not theory, it's a fact.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

for you guys with the poll, how about you come up with 100K for croteam, that would allow them to hire 3 programmers for about a year, to refine the source and open it up. If you have 1000 members then you each can pay $100. No? Don't have 1000 members? How about 100 members paying $1000 each? No? You say you already did your part, because you spent 5 minutes to make an online petition? You have no money because you are kids living at home with your mom and just want to play games? And you bragged about how you downloaded it for free off the internet? Well, people have jobs and they have bills. If something is not making money then it is silly to think someone will spend a lot of money "fixing" it, especially in this economic climate. thanks for the laugh though. if you want to support something, how about serious sam forever, although I imagine people will be complaining about that when it comes out.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

If and when they get FE and SE on Steam they will probably see if there are any improvements they can make that will not take up too much of their time and resources. It depends, though, on how big of a time crunch they are under from their publisher. We will pursue getting more information about this.

Petitions are a good thing; they show the will of the people. Denigrating their petition is the same as putting down the people behind it.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

jim, although you are a bit harsh, i do agree with you.

It's nice what you want to achive here, but be realistic. What you want is simply not going to happen. THe most you can hope for is,as i and ld said, is if they go to steam, that they will fix smaller things that won't take too much time and money.

I have seen way too many 'attemt at heroic rascues' so i can tell you that you are being waaaay to optimistic, if not even arrogant towards CT in a way.
TSE is what, 6 years old? Do you know how much 6 years is in game dev? And TSE wasn't all that popular when it came out (atleast not as much as you want it to be), and you want it to be now, 6 years later, even more popular then back then? That's redicilous to say the least.

Second thing is, as wee sad, time and money. Ct works on two games. TWO games, not one. I don't belive you have big experience with making real games, but belive me, CT is already working their asses off and it's question if they can evil pull it off. And now you come here and ask CT to leave this new games aside, which probably looks awesome and even plays awesome, so that they can work on game that is very old, that has terrible visuals, just compare it to Crysis (compared to todays standards ofcourse ; it was ok back then) and with barely anyone intrested in this game? Are you even aware what are you asking here?

And as jim said, you just don't understand the ecomomics behind game dev. It's all about money. So they can't put loads of money on something, that will get them nothing in return. And you want them to release TSE even for free?! That will, as val said, probably destroy them. It's very important thing to remember.

So with all this, you are just all being very naive.

So rether listen to guys and gal here who has more experience with this stuff.

You must be realistic as comunity and see realistically, what can you achive. And if you ask me, one thing is to try convince CT to give TSE to steam if possible, to try ask them to make TFE or TSE opensourse, so that other programmers can work on TSE in free time, and stuff like that.

But in no way can you seriously espect CT to stop working 100% on new games and rether turn their attention in old game that will only bring them backrupcy.

And besides all that, what do you even define by 'fresh start'? Complete remaking of game? You want them to basicly remake all the TSE, and then release it for free?

Last edited by Zocky; 03-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus View Post
Petitions are a good thing; they show the will of the people. Denigrating their petition is the same as putting down the people behind it.
Of course petitions are a good thing.
You just need to be realistic on the subject you're going to use.

A Petition to get SS series onto Steam for example is a good idea for a petition.

A Petition to get CroTeam to stop what they're doing and completely fine-tune SS:FE + SE however is not.

We're not trying to put the creators of the petition down, we just want them to think carefully of what they're asking from CroTeam.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I think it is wonderful that you guys still play SSam, a great, wonderful game, fantastic deathmatch, very precise, subject to 'lag' yes, but overall much better than most of the online games I have played. I hope that your focus is in supporting the company and their products. that means trying to get it on steam, getting serious sam forever, and whatever their next two products are. They are a small company, success for them means more money to create products that you like to play. When they put UT3 on steam they remade the game considerably. I doubt that they will do that for Sam, but getting it on Steam might bring more people into the game for you to play against. No doubt, Coop Sam is one of the best all time games to play with friends, especially when you turn on infinite ammo. Add ventrilo to it and you have a winner.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Exclamation Re: Serious Sam Petition

We don't even know if Croteam still exists. The last I heard, they were out of work for over a year. They announced they were working on an untitled war game, but that was before their publisher was purchased by another company. And they have never announced they were working on another version of Serious Sam. What makes you guys think those conditions warrant an attempt for free work on an old game they make no money from anymore? We don't even know if the people that wrote SS:SE still work for Croteam, and judging from SS2, they probably do not.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Wytas is offline Send a message via MSN to Wytas

Ok, here's a short story;
Once there was a really cool FPS, called "GORE: ULTIMATE SOLDIER". It gathered lots of fans from all around the world that were not just playing it, but also creating custom maps for it..
About 6-7 years after its release, it became something like "community's property" and now there's a free, remastered version of the game, much improved by its community. And it's really great!!

New projects!
A sequel to one of my maps o_O
Serious Sam crazy!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

I thank you guys for trying to explain to them what I have been trying to tell them a million times in the past. Unfortunately, these people only see things in terms of what they can get out of it and not what they can give to the community, and thus dislikes any notion of having to do more work than taking the work of others, cut and pasting them together with slight modification, and then call it theirs.

Believe me, I've tried to explain this to them, but to no avail. My main objection to this petition is that it will most likely cast a light of greedy ingratitude towards the Sam community and nobody wants that.

Wytas : What I'd like to know is how it happened. Is it remade by the fans? Is it opensourced by the developers? Was it the doing of an ex-member of the company with too much free-time?

Last edited by Valerie Valens; 03-18-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Wytas: Is there a chance that the developers had enough money to make the game "community property"?

Some developers have enough money that they can afford to lose some for the fans. and some don't.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Deepblue, several years after release, sales of a particular game are not even close to make any noticeable difference in the developer's pockets, or the publisher's for that matter. This is why games are very often released at popular times like christmas.

Plus, after the manufactured copies have been sold, the only future sales with that particular game will happen between two people, like on eBay or Amazon, which obviously won't earn the developer or the publisher a single penny (hell, we as customers aren't even supporting the companies directly to begin with, since the copies we buy were already bought from the publisher by the various stores around the world).

Sometimes games that were very popular are re-released in a budget package later down the road, but as far as I know those return little profit.

So when it comes down to it I'd say the only thing that stops publishers and/or developers from making a several years old game "community property" is either greed or they simply don't care.

Last edited by Fiendian; 03-24-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Game like Hames

Blues Cowboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Blues Cowboy

You know what? GZ cares passionately enough about SS to ask it's own official community for help...and gets treated like jerks by some of our members. This ain't right. Come on, guys- we're all SS fans here, let's just sign it.

R.I.P. Fiendan's Baby. You've gone to a better place now...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

You're a bit late for that ain't ya?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

You do realise what they were asking for in their petition, do you? If the petition was about open-sourcing SS1, I would sign it.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

We were asking them to be more realistic with the petition's subject although I admit that some of us could have said it better.

A subject that at least has a 50-50 chance of getting CroTeam to do it, like the Sam on Steam thing.