Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Default [SE SP] Final Fight II

Final Fight II

Author(s) : Theis "GeeBee" Jakobsen
Game : Serious Sam : The Second Encounter
Type : Single Player

---

I’ll get the important stuff out of the way first. Final Fight II will not run on anything other than the Second Encounter 1.50 Beta patch, so go over to the downloads section and install it before booting up the map. As you can imagine, it kind of (by which I mean really) sucks to have to go install a beta version of Second Encounter to even get this thing to work, so I certainly can’t blame anyone for deciding that Final Fight II is too much of a nuisance to play. That said, if you can put up with this extra bit of trouble, you may well enjoy what this map has to offer.

I have absolutely no idea what Final Fight II is about, because the map just gives you one incredibly vague Netricsa message and an opening cutscene that looks kind of cool but makes very little sense in the context of the story (to be fair it might have something to do with Final Fight I, which I didn’t play). All I really know is that Sam has crash landed in a medieval town and must fight his way through a few courtyards, a small castle, and a lava cave before the map abruptly ends with Sam entering a dark tunnel. But hey, Serious Sam isn’t supposed to be Metal Gear Solid 4; I doubt many of you will care about the storyline being incredibly sparse.

The map’s difficulty is well balanced (similar to an early level of the main campaign). You’ll get health pickups when you need them, but only when you need them, and ammo pickups are scare enough that you frequently have to switch to less powerful weapons to finish things off, but not frequently enough that combat becomes frustrating. Unfortunately, the map is short (it will probably take you about 20 minutes to finish), and does not offer cooperative play (although it’s hardly necessary; I wouldn’t see a small map that forces all players to install a beta patch being that popular anyway).

The visuals in Final Fight II are actually pretty impressive. The Gothic architecture in the opening area is well constructed and noticeably different from what you might see in Croteam’s levels. Little details like towers at wall intersections and beyond the field of play make the map feel like an epic, sprawling castle. Even more impressive, the courtyards are filled with ruined structures (take a look at the first couple screenshots). Take my word for it, collapsed walls and buildings aren’t easy to get right, but the author does it well and as a result it looks like your crashed spaceship did some significant damage to the castle. This kind of attention to detail adds real immersion to the map. It was equally obvious that quite a bit of care went into the construction of the lava caves at the end; stalactites hang from the ceiling, surfaces tend to be angular and complex, and lighting is used perfectly to heighten the atmosphere. It’s refreshing to see a cave system in a custom map that doesn’t look blocky and unnatural, and I know how hard a feat that is to accomplish. Not everything is perfect (I wish some buildings, like the cathedral towers in the second screenshot, had a little more structural detail and there are a few incidences of z-fighting), but in general the map looks good.

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/Xenon797/Review/th_1-5.jpg http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/Xenon797/Review/th_2-5.jpg http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/Xenon797/Review/th_3-5.jpg http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp292/Xenon797/Review/th_4-4.jpg

The combat in Final Fight II is pretty average, but a couple fights do stand out. One fight (the one in screenshot 3) has you fending off a huge wave of Kleer and a few red mechanoids with only a little bit of ammo. Afterwards you have to fight a huge wave of Gnaar with a few large lava golems (for the first time my strategy of roasting every Gnaar I see with a flamethrower wasn’t going to work). These two fights are my favorites because the combinations of enemies are challenging, creative, and force you to cycle through weapons quickly. Another pretty clever fight has you killing lava golems on small platforms imbedded in lava, which requires you to mind your environment while dodging enemy attacks. None of the other fights are really that memorable, and you’ll probably be able to blast your way through them without much difficulty. I was particularly disappointed by the final battle. You’d expect more than a few Kleer and Kamikazes for the final fight of a map called Final Fight, but that’s really all you get, and the map is extremely anticlimactic as a result.

Unfortunately, there really isn’t much to Final Fight II besides the combat. With the exception of one room (the second courtyard), your path is incredibly linear and puzzles are entirely absent. Moreover, the map has no secrets, which is disappointing because it takes away any incentive to explore. Final Fight II uses a default Gothic soundtrack that switches to boss music during combat. The Gothic music works fine (obviously, it’s a Gothic map), but the boss music is just too different from the main track to make the transition from one to the other sound natural. Like I’ve said before, boss music is best used for one or two huge fights to heighten their tension and excitement, not as a default combat track.

Overall, Final Fight II definitely offers some enjoyable visuals and combat, but little annoyances stack up. The map has no secrets, no storyline, is only 20 minutes long, lacks an exciting final battle, and requires you to install a beta version of Second Encounter to play it. You can decide on your own if it’s worth your time.

Overall Score : 67/100 Fair

Last edited by Scorpion777; 06-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian
Default Re: [SE SP] Final Fight II

I thought 1.50 beta was the latest/last patch for SE. . . ? The release date hints at it.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Looks like you're right, I was thrown off by it being in the archived patches section of the download page (and misreading 1.07 as 1.7, it's been a long time since I've messed with SE). I'll edit my review, but given that 1.5 is a beta and comes with a message to not use it for anything other than testing, I think it's a fair assumption that the average SS gamer will not have it installed as their default patch. Unless someone convinces me the majority of the community does have 1.5 installed (I honestly have no idea, I haven't played online since SE launched), I'm still going to count it as a negative.

Last edited by Scorpion777; 06-23-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Yeah, I agree that it is a negative, dunno why some mappers would spend a lot of time making maps with an unstable and rarely used version.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Prophets of Sam

That's what happened to me when I was creating Military decay. I had already installed 1.50 and had converted most of my maps to it not realising that Croteam were never going to finish the patch. In the end I had to use, I think it was gro shop or something by Asko to convert all the levels back to 1.07 patch which also meant a lot of other problems which came with the converting process.

So it is possible to convert the maps back, but takes time.