Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > The Talos Principle

The Talos Principle The home of The Talos Principle: a new IP developed by Croteam.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Default Beautiful , eerie, fun

I finally managed to grab The Talos Principle. I loved the Demo and the Game is even better. It's tough though at least for me.

The Roman sections or at least that is how I see them of game gives me the same feeling I had in the 70's when I got to see King Tut's treasures in Seattle. This was something King Tut used . So in the ruins I'm wandering trying to imagine what the tumbled down buildings used to be. Imagining the people that used to live, work, play in and around the buildings.

I wonder if Croteam used actual photos of the ruins to make the textures because I'm a ancient history lover . Greek, Roman and Egyptian being my favorites. I love the environments and they seem pretty accurate when compared to my books .
Old 06-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Beautiful , eerie, fun

Yes, Croteam used actual photos to make the textures. Not just that, but they used a tech called "Photogrammetry", which is about making a bunch of photos of an object, then converting them into a model. So many models, like statues and the like, are actually "real".

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Yes, Croteam used actual photos to make the textures. Not just that, but they used a tech called "Photogrammetry", which is about making a bunch of photos of an object, then converting them into a model. So many models, like statues and the like, are actually "real".
Well they did a fantastic job with that "Photogrammetry" imho.

You wouldn't happen to know some of the ruins/places they visited and filmed would you?

The brick work is what drew my attention immediately. They were classic roman construction. Reminded me of Pompey or Herculaneum . Of course they have ancient Egypt my fav ancient culture down pat. If there are any other cultures I haven't gotten there yet. Kinda hoping for some Minoan ruins.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

For Rome, they took photos in Rome, Pompeii and Ostia Antica. For the Medieval episode, they took photos from France, like the Carcassone, and seemingly England, the Bodiam Castle.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
For Rome, they took photos in Rome, Pompeii and Ostia Antica. For the Medieval episode, they took photos from France, like the Carcassone, and seemingly England, the Bodiam Castle.
Thanks for the info Solais.