Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2004, 09:10 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

Kenjamin is offline Send a message via ICQ to Kenjamin Send a message via AIM to Kenjamin Send a message via MSN to Kenjamin Send a message via Yahoo to Kenjamin
Default Anxiety/Panic Attack thread

This thread is a support thread for people who have anxiety/panic attacks and disorders.

I recently started having these attacks and this disorder.

Anyone who wants to post thier disorder and get what they feel off thier chest, feel free to. Anyone who wants to support the people who post here, please do.

I'll go first, since I'm starting the thread.

Ususally when I have an attack, I have to drive 40 min to a hospital in great lakes, becuase the only insurance my family has is at the naval base hospital. about 4 times now, i went to the hospital in town since it was so severe and now owe hospital bills for 4 visits (around $4000 each, thanks to no help from the government) and i've had 7 EKG's and one EchoCardioGram and my heart is perfect. finally, my doctor said this was all anxiety and panic attacks, and gave me some xanax to calm me and referred me to the mental health clinic for an evaluation.

ive had about one attack a week since feb 1st and lately they have been getting closer and closer. since i started xanax ive been feeling alot better but it seems like today its starting to come back. om scheduled to see the mental health doc the day after tomorrow. sometimes i feel like im not going to make it to tomorrow.

this all started on feb 1st when i tried marijuana. i felt like i was blacking out while standing up. i started to feel nauseated and like i was dreaming and my body was numb. the feeling went away an hour or two later.

a few days later, i felt like i was going to black out out of nowhere. my vision started closing in and my heart started racing. i went to the er and they gave me some metoprolol to lower my heart rate. for the past month we've been back and forth to doctors trying to figure out whats wrong and as i said above, we recently found out it was panic attacks.

i also have this dissociative feeling and derpersonalization feeling constantly like nothing is real.

these are the symptoms i've had and still have:

Overall (When I'm not having an attack)

*Faintness like I might pass out.
*Slight Nausea
*Sleepy sometimes
*Days go by FAST-feels like a few weeks ago was yesterday
*Constant dissociative/depersonal feeling, like everything is surreal/feels like im always dreaming
*Constant burping
*Diahrrea
*Frequent clear urination
*Sinus pressure
*Ear pressure
*when i close my eyes at night, sometimes it feels like my head is 'swimming' around or 'zooming in and out'
*not hungry during the day, start to get hungry around 9am

Attack Symptoms:
*palpitaions/tachycardia
*Numbness in cheeks and neck (sometimes)
*Abdombinal cramps
*Arms get dark purple (alternates beween them)
*Feels like back of tounge is swollen
*Butterflies in stomach
*sides of hands start to go to sleep
*feel very nauseated before attack happens
*feels like my head is heavy on my neck
*throat feels tight
*pressure in ears
*shakey muscles
*tightness in chest and stomach
*tightness in jaw
*impending feeling of doom, like im going to die.
*cold
*hot flashes
-
Kadranos (11:19:41 PM): yeah, I like little vietnamese boys
-
<Joben> I'm reskinning the head of the beheaded enemy...
-
[3/28/2008 5:20:38 PM] cHr0nIc says: where are you, sugarlips?
[3/28/2008 5:21:11 PM] cHr0nIc says: I miss my sweet honey pot :P
Old 03-11-2004, 09:13 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I've heard panic attacks really suck

but i've always wondered what causes them? is it one's personality or purely biological. I ask this simply because my personality has caused high levels of stress for me (in the past) and i know it was from my own tendancy to stress alot
Old 03-11-2004, 09:17 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

Kenjamin is offline Send a message via ICQ to Kenjamin Send a message via AIM to Kenjamin Send a message via MSN to Kenjamin Send a message via Yahoo to Kenjamin

anything can trigger them, including drugs, alcohol, stress, and no reason at all.

What causes Panic Disorder?

Twenty years ago Panic Disorder was poorly understood even by most experts. It was called Anxiety Neurosis and was thought by some to stem from "deeply rooted" psychological conflicts and subconscious upsetting impulses of a sexual nature.
Now we regard Panic Disorder as more of a physical problem with a metabolic core. It is not an emotional problem, although after suffering from it, emotionally healthy persons may develop depression or other problems. There are different theories about where in the nervous system the problem exists.

There is considerable evidence pointing toward an abnormality in the function of the locus ceruleus and its associated nerve pathways. The locus ceruleus is a tiny nerve center in the brainstem(the part of the brain that controls heartbeat, breathing and other vital functions).

Few experts still cling to the notion that this is not a physical disorder. Scientific evidence clearly favors there being a physical cause of this disorder. It is regarded as a physical disorder much like Diabetes or Pneumonia.
-
-
-
Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt

My mom used to have panic disorder.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

it affects around 1.5% of the US population, thats over 100,000,000 people.
-
-
-
Old 03-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Devil's Advocate

I get pretty nervous when I stand in lines sometimes...for some reason.

Im generally a little uh...jittery I guess. Nothing sever tho.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:57 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjamin
100,000,000 people? that would mean the US population is 6,000,000,000? i find that a bit hard to believe since the worlds population is about 6billion...

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 03-11-2004, 11:58 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Shuriken is offline Send a message via AIM to Shuriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjamin
Ahem, I believe that is about 1/4 of the population, add another set of 0s?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Ronin

When I was a freshman in college I had to get a new roommate for the second semester. His name was Rick, and he was a computer nerd. His major was computer science (programming) and he was always studying. He would tell me that he would have anxiety attacks whenever, studying, around friends, in places with tons of people, you name it. It was hilarious, and I told him he needed to relax. He was a very nice guy, and we watched Seinfeld together. He always got a kick out of George and his antics.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

My wife gets panic attacks whenever I drive. she took a class called Phobese, which help a lot but she still gets them
Old 03-12-2004, 01:05 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
The Sparrow

Have you checked out your diet? Do you eat healthy or is it 90% fast food garbage stuff?Seriously, I get about 80% of those symptoms whenever I eat a McDonald's burger (which thank god is rare).
Old 03-12-2004, 01:21 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Cool Nerd

Kenjamin, If your tracing these attacks back to the first time you tried Mary Jane then that is most likly the cause of it. THC, the active chemical of marijuana, will take about 90 days to leave your system, after that you should be allright. Hopfully. Drugs have a different effect on differnet people and it seems that weed doesn't agree with you.

Henchman 24: Come on! They have one female servicing a large group of males. That implies a species that lays eggs.
Henchman 21: Oh my God, you're crazy! They're so obviously mammals!
Henchman 24: Please! She'd be in estrus 24/7 if she didn't lay eggs.
Henchman 21: Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a f***ing beard! They're mammals!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:36 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

KungFuYoAss is offline Send a message via AIM to KungFuYoAss

I get confusion attacks.
I also get Sleep Poralysis once in a while.

Well, anyways back to the Topic.
This Panic stuff sounds pretty freaky. I mean your arm turning purple? WTF? Wait, if your having a panic attack, then you have those symptoms going. . .Wouldn't that make you freak even more?

@Flux: Have you ever Grease checked a fry. It seems as if they slapped a huge block of butter per fry. I'm not suprised you have those symptoms from eating McDonalds.

No One Is Perfect, I Am Nobody, Therefore I Am Perfect.

To Do The End Of The World Spell, Hit [Alt], F4.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:38 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
CHEESE!

I've experienced what I believe was a panic attack once in my life, about three years ago. I was heading home in a cab, and I started to experience numbness in both my arms. I figured it was just that my arms were fatigued, since I had been carrying some heavy things... which was the reason I was taking the cab to begin with. Anyway, the numbness just got worse, and I started to feel nauseated, and my heart began racing. I started getting scared, since it was the first time something like that had ever happened to me. Eventually, it got so bad that I ordered the cabbie to pull over.... I felt like I was going to drop dead at any moment. I really needed some air, cause I felt like I was suffocating in the cab, so I got out and began walking in circles until the feeling died down. I'm afraid I freaked out my cabbie, though. When I felt well enough to continue my ride home, he would ask me every couple of minutes how I felt, and offered to take me to the hospital several times. I didn't go to the hospital... in fact, by the time I got home I felt perfect, as if nothing had happened. The driver helped take my heavy bags upstairs to my apartment, which was really nice of him since NY taxi drivers don't usually do that sort of thing.

Well, thank god I haven't experienced that again, and I hope I don't ever in the future. I've only gone through it once, but I know exactly how it feels, Kenji.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:18 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Famous Anus

I had one severe attack two years ago. I woke up really early in the morning with an overwhelming since of doom. I was positive I was having a heart attack and would die any second. My hands and arms were numb and I felt as if I was going to faint. I drive myself to the hospital (about a block away) and told them I was having a heart attack.

They ran a series of tests - drawing blood, EKG's, etc. They found nothing wrong. When the doctor said I most likely had an anxiety attack, I could hardly believe it. I had several semesters of psychology in college and am well aware of anxiety attacks, but I never knew the physical symptoms would be so strong.

It was a horrible experience and I hope I never have one again
Old 03-12-2004, 03:04 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

clear urine is good. It means your liver is cleaner than normal because you've flushed out your system with alot of water. B vitamin helps this alot. Also your eyesight. Now diareiha, that might be a bit too much water. Do you always feel like you need to drink? Your mouth feel dry? Might be diabetes....
Old 03-12-2004, 03:19 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Hey, Ken. Glad to hear you're getting help. Your attacks sound worse than mine were, a lot more physical. I had almost all of the symptoms except the ones regarding blood flow. I had chest palpitations, but no racing heart rate and no purple arms.

I hate that damn burping thing. I think it's a result of your chest muscles being clenched, not letting air escape naturally, and different breathing. Also, you may not be eating enough, and that can create a lot of gas. My biggest problem would be that I would have to burp all the time, but I couldn't usually. Then once an hour or so I'd let out this gigantic belch. My mom was always terribly offended, she couldn't believe it was a symptom of the anxiety.

Tell me about Xanax, how did you feel when you started it? Any side effects? My shrink prescribed all manner of SSRIs, Paxil, Prozac, Zoloft, you name it, I was probably on it. Each one had the same side effects that I couldn't stand, sleepiness but inability to sleep, general lethargy/apathy toward everything, erections but no orgasms, nausea, etc. Paxil was by far the worst of these.
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:50 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

i feel wonderful now that i started the xanax entroper,

aj, the frequent urination and liquid bowel movement was from the nerved. the panic attacks caused a panic disorder, where i would nervously await the next attack.

since i started xanax, ive been panic free and hardly have any of the 'overall' feelings.

i still have the dissociative/depersonalization feeling, like im constantly dreaming and everything is surreal, and actualy my dreams are more vivid than real life.

the psychiatrist gave me some celexa and is expecting this to all go away in about 6 months.

he said the cause for this was most likely the marijuana. marijuana can do alot of ****ing harm to you that i didnt even know about.

im not that strong towards the 'legalize it' movement as i was a few months ago.
-
-
-
Old 03-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Cool. Actually, I just looked up Xanax, and I was totally wrong about it. It's not an SSRI like Paxil/Prozac/Zoloft/Celexa/etc., it's a benzodiazepene. Like Valium or Ativan. I think my primary physician originally prescribed Ativan when my attacks began, and it was helpful just to take my body out of overdrive mode. My anxiety was mostly in my head to begin with though, so it really just helped keep my body from wrecking itself so badly, didn't help the anxiety itself. Let me know how you do on Celexa, then. I'm not trying to "warn" you or anything, drugs have different effects on different people, and I seem to be in the minority of people who don't tolerate them well. Celexa was the last thing I was prescribed, but I never actually started taking it. I was making great progress with my therapist and figured I'd just stick to my guns.

Good luck man, but don't worry. Your shrink is right; this will all go away in 6 months or less.
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

i dont know why, but powerful orchestral music seems to calm me down, like the imperial march from star wars, or the red square march from everything or nothing, stuff where tension is represented with the string section and urgency with the percussion section, so ive been listening to that type of stuff. also, ive been listening to more emo than pop punk lately and that's helped to relax me.

its amazing about the xanax though, its such a small dose (.5mg) but its done wonders for my symptoms.

could just be a placebo effect, but i dont think it is.
-
-
-
Old 03-12-2004, 05:35 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

I've only had a few panic attacks. Usually I bottle it up until I have a nervous breakdown every year and a half or so.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, soaked in blood, and if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
-Dana Gould

The key is to hit really hard.
With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 03-13-2004, 05:01 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

I know this is a long read, but it will benefit even those who are mentally healthy and dont have a panic disorder, so all should read. its about how your brain controls almost everything that is wrong, and everything you think is wrong with your body. have a sore muscle? you might only think you do.

Well, i went to the psychiatrist on friday and he prescribed Celexa. Its an antidepressent like zoloft and paxil.

i was diagnosed with social anxiety, panic disorder, and depression.

i was going to start the celexa, but read online that it can interact negatively with the metoprolol i was taking, and basically double the metoprolol that is in my bloodstream. i was originally taking 50 mg of metoprolol, but then went down to 25, so taking the celexa in theory woudl raise it back to 50 mg, but i figured to play it safe and wait and talk to the doc on monday and ask him.

anyhow, on with the brain candy.

this page made me so happy as i read it, i began to cry.

it makes so much sense about how i feel, i dont know why i didnt find these logical connections before!

http://www.panic-anxiety.com/panic_a...k-symptoms.htm

"It is also very true that some people might feel anxious that their heart will stop or give up through the constant racing, thumping or chest pain, this is simply not true, again these are very common symptoms of panic attacks. No one has ever come to any harm as a result of anxiety or panic attacks! Consider how hard athletes have to work in order to give their hearts the kind of workout your heart receives through anxiety; their hearts do not give up, do they? The heart is a muscle, raising the heart rate exercises it, making it fitter. You wouldn’t worry if your heart raced after running for the bus, so why worry about it when it happens during anxiety.
It is also very true that some people might feel anxious that their heart will stop or give up through the constant racing, thumping or chest pain, this is simply not true, again these are very common symptoms of panic attacks. No one has ever come to any harm as a
result of anxiety or panic attacks! Consider how hard athletes have to work in order to give their hearts the kind of workout your heart receives through anxiety; their hearts do not give up, do they? The heart is a muscle, raising the heart rate exercises it, making it fitter. You wouldn’t worry if your heart raced after running for the bus, so why worry about it when it happens during anxiety. "

NOTE: I would often get extremely scared and nervous that all my palpitations would cause my heart to just go '**** this' one day and just stop, but after that paragraph, i feel so much better.

"During my condition, sometimes, the left side of my face would feel numb, my eye would water and sometimes I would dribble out of the side of my mouth. I eventually realised that this was caused by muscular tension causing restriction around the nerves and blood vessels in my neck, but when I first experienced it, I was very scared. AGAIN, another symptom of panic attacks and anxiety which causes the sufferer unnecessary worry but is completely harmless. I now know that massaging my neck releases the tension and thus relieves the sensations; this works for most people. "

NOTE: When I first started having these attacks, I thought it might have been a heart attack or stroke.

"You must always remember and understand that the nervous system is found in every inch of your body. There are nerve endings literally everywhere, around every organ, muscle and over every square millimeter of your skin so the symptoms of panic attacks and anxiety can be experienced anywhere! Tension can be responsible for many of the sensations experienced during anxiety. "

Note: That line there, is the second most relieving logical thought that I should have connected to all the pain ive been going through.

"I have found that anxious people are incredibly good at creating symptoms by diverting all of their conscious attention to them, causing what are called psychosomatic symptoms. For example, I started to experience pain in my left arm, I now know that the tension in my shoulders was restricting blood vessels leading to and in my arm, but at the time I was convinced that there was something else wrong with me. I started becoming obsessed with all of my symptoms, concentrating on the sensations. Day and night I would expect the pain to be there and it would come every time. I went to the doctor and asked her to examine me, which she did and found no physiological explanation. As soon as the doctor told me there was nothing wrong the feeling went away. The same happened to me again some weeks later, I developed a pain deep in my groin between my legs, and I was convinced it was something dreadful. It went on for weeks before I had the courage to visit the doctor. I was booked in for a scan, which came back negative. As soon as the doctor gave me the results of the tests the pain went away and never returned."

Note: This has happened to me alot. I was having a 'stroke' until the doctor told me I wasn't, I had a tumor pressing against my ear until the doc said there wasn't. I can't believe what your thoughts can manifest. I take every little pain out of context.

In conclusion (this is kenji again), I've realized that your conscious can hurt you more than anything else. I never imagined how hard it is to use your brain, yet how easy it is when you dont want to.

I would not wish this disorder on anyone in the world. Imagine dying from all the diseases in the world at once, and the pain lasts for hours. Imagine feeling that often twice a week. Imagine knowing another one is coming and wrecking your nerves with the knowledge that you cant stop the next attack.

That doesn't even begin to describe the feeling of this disorder.

I'm not trying to attract pity with this thread, im trying to spread awareness of how easy and unexpected this disorder can destroy your life without warning. I know a few other people on this forum personally that had or still have this disorder and are battling it with all thier might.
-
-
-
Old 03-14-2004, 01:22 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

Symptoms:
1. Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations....check
2. Sweating....check
3. Shaking visibly or inside....check
4. Choking sensations or lump in throat...nope
5. Smothering or shortness of breath sensations..nope
6. Chest pain or discomfort...nope
7. Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort...hell yeah
8. Dizziness or unsteadiness...check
9. Feeling light-headed...check
10. Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)...check
11. Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)..check
12. Fear of losing control or going crazy...check
13. Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body....check
14. Chills or hot flushes...check
15. Skin losing colour...sometimes
16. Blushing or skin blotches...most of the time
17. Urgently needing to urinate or defecate...every friggin day during classes, chores, randomly during gamong......
Jesus.......I have major panic attacks every week or so, and minor ones daily.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, soaked in blood, and if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
-Dana Gould

With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 03-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman
Symptoms:
1. Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations....check
2. Sweating....check
3. Shaking visibly or inside....check
4. Choking sensations or lump in throat...nope
5. Smothering or shortness of breath sensations..nope
6. Chest pain or discomfort...nope
7. Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort...hell yeah
8. Dizziness or unsteadiness...check
9. Feeling light-headed...check
10. Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)...check
11. Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)..check
12. Fear of losing control or going crazy...check
13. Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body....check
14. Chills or hot flushes...check
15. Skin losing colour...sometimes
16. Blushing or skin blotches...most of the time
17. Urgently needing to urinate or defecate...every friggin day during classes, chores, randomly during gamong......
Jesus.......I have major panic attacks every week or so, and minor ones daily.
you could have a panic disorder. i suggest getting it checked out now, becuase if it is, and you dont, the disorder will grow to the point of where you feel like you are having a heart attack and dying when you have an attack.
-
-
-
Old 03-14-2004, 01:16 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

I'm already seeing a shrink, and I have a multitude of other issues to deal with as well.
Now if you'll pardon me, this talk makes me REALLY need to piss.

-Dana Gould

With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 03-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Comedian (no joke)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman
I'm already seeing a shrink, and I have a multitude of other issues to deal with as well.
Now if you'll pardon me, this talk makes me REALLY need to piss.
lol, yeah, if i start getting panicky, ill urinate about 2 min after i drink something. its annoying.

the worst part of this is, when im not having an attack, i know im not going to die, and an attack cant kill me, but when im having an attack, i KNOW im going to die, and i cant change my mind about it.

im starting to hate the human brain.
-
-
-
Old 03-14-2004, 06:55 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

It's worse for me. I always drink these giant 2 or 3 pint cups of milk. I'll be fine for 6 hours sometimes, but others I sit down for homework and have to go right away.

Yes the human brain can be annoying, but look at it this way: it makes a great paperweight.

-Dana Gould

With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 03-15-2004, 12:38 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Ska-whore

[BP]FalKon is offline Send a message via AIM to [BP]FalKon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHr0nIc
Kenjamin, If your tracing these attacks back to the first time you tried Mary Jane then that is most likly the cause of it. THC, the active chemical of marijuana, will take about 90 days to leave your system, after that you should be allright. Hopfully. Drugs have a different effect on differnet people and it seems that weed doesn't agree with you.
This isnt really true. Drug testing can be done with hairs from you scalp and can find THC traces 90 days after the use of it, but it is out of your body itself in under 2 weeks, if even.