Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 11:12 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Default current laptops

I was just looking at laptops, specifically 15" screen. I notice that so many laptop keyboard layout includes number pad. Also, the keyboards shrinks about 1" than some years ago.

I am used with ~11-1/4" wide (from Shift-to-Shift keys) without number pad, for 10 years. Now my laptop is having varies problems. Now, when I measure today's laptops, most are ~10-3/8" (sometimes from "A"-to-"L" keys would yield more accuracy).

Since I dared at the laptops (at Best Buy, since I can actually look at 'em, check for weight, flex it, etc), looks like if I was to buy a new laptop today, I would make sure it includes the side number pad. ironic? If any of you have number pad on laptop, how you like it?

Also, another thing is "360°". I am skeptic about that. I am sure after so many "yoga", it will start to loosen, that there would be a play gap screen flipping back and forth.

"Touch" screen looks cool? I am type of person always poking the screen. So, I would guess that "touch" screen is not for me.

Since a lot models have 7th gen Intel (Kaby Lake), it's still heat there. I notice varies models have different ventilation placements (unlike Apple have no vent). I would think it's best to have side vent(s) instead of bottom, even some popular brand flawed in that area.

I just feel 15" is best medium. 13" (including MS Surface) are nice, but somewhat little too small. 17" are cumbersome for carrying around.

FHD (Full High-Definition, 1920 x 1080) appears to be best of screens selections that some models have. 4K is really pushing it already, for laptops?

Of what I see on the floor models, I think only 13" (or smaller) can have 2 cameras (front and rear). I sure would like both cameras on 15", so I can video record classroom seminars while accessing laptop (like internet).

Do you have comments about current laptops?

Last edited by CNT; 01-13-2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: 10 years, not 15 years...
Old 01-13-2017, 04:15 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: current laptops

Sadly the last laptop I had to buy was for school six years ago, so I'm not current on the latest laptop technology. That laptop I have is still working, by the way: It's 17", 1600x900 and has a numpad. I like having it but I think I could do without if I had to. Also I don't know about you, but my laptop is pretty lightweight despite being 17" and I don't have problems lugging it around if I have to, but that may be because I have a laptop backpack.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I use a 15' ASUS ROG (gaming) laptop as my main pc for now, would agree that 15' is best size for mobility and comfort if you wanna use it on its own. It has a numpad too and a pretty good keyboard, though I rarely use it (always use external keyboards/monitors at home). Feels very lightweight as well despite being a gaming machine. I use an asus helix cooler pad too so it doesn't get too hot while gaming and is generally very silent (GPU can reach pretty high temps in some games tho).

Don't see a reason to go 4K on a laptop for such a tiny display (you can do 4K externally anyway I think?).
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Yeah, most modern laptop video cards support much higher resolutions than the screen allows, so I'm pretty sure a lot of laptops now support 4k for your television for example.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Ctrl+F, "thinkpad".. hmm I'm disappointed.

I have a Thinkpad and it's the best laptop I've ever used. I've had a few Dell laptops before, but nothing that's as solid and unbreakable as my Thinkpad. I have a Thinkpad W550s (with a 3k monitor w/o touch). Very happy with it.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Allow me to interject for a moment, what You are calling a Thinkpad is, in fact, Chinkpad. Since IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo and they started doing their own designs, which have very little in common with Thinkpads and thus are now called [country-of-origin]pads, or in short, Chinkpads.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

My previous Lenovo ideapad was pretty disappointing and only lasted 2 years so steering clear of them since (even if thinkpads are drastically different).
Old 01-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

My was ThinkPad T61 (Lenovo). It's 15" and pretty heavy too, but lasted me 10 years (I thought 15 years, so I correct my original post).
Old 01-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Personally, I have to have a laptop that has a numpad. Mostly because I use calculators frequently and using the numbers above the keyboard are just too inconvenient. Additionally, the Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down keys should be easily accessible without requiring a function key.

I have a Surface Pro 3 and I love having the flexibility of using it in a desktop-like environment or a tablet-like format. Granted, this kind of "feature" isn't for everyone.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
I have a Surface Pro 3 and I love having the flexibility of using it in a desktop-like environment or a tablet-like format. Granted, this kind of "feature" isn't for everyone.
Sadly... we did had Surface Pro (I think it was 3), brand new, used it a little bit... proof, stolen
Old 01-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

My Thinkpad has survived in perfect shape for almost 2 years, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...15-7567-laptop

If you were to buy a new laptop, would this (above link) be something you would look into?
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...moID=LEN397692

If you were to buy a new laptop, would this (above link) be something you would look into?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

The feature page is full of marketing blabla, but Lenovo hasn't released any technical specs or a price. We'll have to see when they decide to.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

PROTIP: gayming laptops are a meme. Don't fall for the meme.

another PROTIP: To defeat the cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

From what I gather, it's best to look into "business" line laptops
Old 01-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

I was hoping this thread would continue with information or opinions... it appears that I am actually looking for a new laptop? As of now, the keyboard layout seems to be troublesome for me (meaning should or not have number pad)?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

some people can't live without it, but IMO, if the keyboard is overall good (many laptops, sadly, don't have anything resembling good keyswitches nor good keycaps), keypad is very redundant. I don't miss it on my 13" thinkpad
Old 01-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Using an MSI GP 2PE Leopard at $850.

Gets the job done nicely, but if I had known my shits back then I'd made a PC that's better and cheaper.

I don't think this model can be bought anymore; it's a 2014 model, but MSI's stuff is good. I got mine at TigerDirect.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...15-7567-laptop

I had a post about this DELL laptop (in this thread), but someone removed it?

As I looked at MSI laptop too, for some reason MSI laptop is too much "vent" (I know that should be good thing), possible mice can get inside it (just kidding). This DELL (above link) seems to be OK? And again, it's got number keypad...
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Yeah, that was me. I removed it because I thought you double posted, sorry. I recovered the post.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

I expected that I was actually making it look like "double posted". It wasn't my first time

Alrighta... are laptops here to stay or tablets taking over?

At this moment... I am feeling that laptop without a number keypad might be better idea? Most are now 4K, but I would still be satisfied with FHD if I come to choose it. Another thing is "average" is 8GB of RAM while "upper" models have 16GB of RAM. And finally, not the least, very few models have GTX 1060 or even 1050Ti, but again, I think I would be satisfied with GTX 960M, right? As long it's dedicated.

The laptop would be for mostly office work, along with video editing. For me, to play SS, it would have to be on a home powerhouse PC (with my two 23" monitors).

Brand names I am looking are DELL, HP and Lenovo.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by librin.so.1 View Post
Allow me to interject for a moment, what You are calling a Thinkpad is, in fact, Chinkpad. Since IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo and they started doing their own designs, which have very little in common with Thinkpads and thus are now called [country-of-origin]pads, or in short, Chinkpads.
Love my T60, still going strong The CCFL backlight has started becoming yellowish though I'm wondering whether not to upgrade the screen to one of those 1600x1200 Hydis AFFS FlexView LED-backlit panels, I see some people are doing it to their T60s, but I'm not sure if the X1400 graphics will be able to run games at such a resolution, the current 1400x1050 is already pushing it...
Old 01-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/...p900x5n-x01us/

This laptop is without numpad, but with a side of "home/end" keys? And the lower-right key is a nothing key... in which I would be pressing it the most!
Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

I own[1] a shitsung. Wouldn't recommend.

[1] my university owns it, but I "borrowed" it while not being a student nor an employee.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:40 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I never owned one of their laptops. I did find a toashiba or dad found one on the side of the road (garbage collection) with the previous users personal data on it (forgot to wipe it, those people) however it got wiped anyway. I remember the touchscreen broke on the prev laptop and that one costed 1100 dollars (expensive for us; especially dads financial conditions and bankcrupcy), at least we eventually got them to give us a different laptop
Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

wish I could find a working laptop on the side of the road, I'll probably turn it into a CS 1.6 server and leave it running 24/7 in the corner of the room