Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #361   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Default Re: Discy's pit of Stuffs!

Do you have any old screens you took that you haven't released yet? That may tame the mob.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #362   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

So after a long time we finally got back together again. We decided that, because we've been apart for so long, we should just spend some time getting to know each other better before jumping into a full-time commitment again. So we're taking it easy for now.

Click for larger version.
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/d/disconnector/98839/gtxyrarigq.thumb500.jpg
http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/d/disconnector/98839/gtxyrarigq.thumb400.jpg
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #363   Add To Ignore List  
Just Good

Man, feels like a lifetime waiting for it, dude! I want it, nau!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #364   Add To Ignore List  
Supreme Commander

XMR1 is offline Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1

Looks nice all these lines leading to the door...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM   #365   Add To Ignore List  
Eagle Eye

Headless Freak is offline Send a message via ICQ to Headless Freak

Ok, I can't see much on this pic except some lines and particle holder, but I look forward to it.

My Showcase Thread
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #366   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

The architecture is so boring. I honestly don't understand people who say it's okay.
All you made is a hull. Now fill it with something the player can actually look at.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #367   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

If we did it your way, we wouldn't be able to see the enemies coming at us
Old 07-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #368   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAwww View Post
The architecture is so boring. I honestly don't understand people who say it's okay.
All you made is a hull. Now fill it with something the player can actually look at.
I don't understand how you could pass judgement on the area without even playing through it. That area is awesome because it contained an epic battle of great proportions. There are plenty of other areas with great architecture in the map.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #369   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

A "Great Battle" is not something that can be made of default enemies appearing around. And yes, I've seen other screenshots. This map is doomed to be irritating, I honestly seek for something to praise this map for, but so far I see nothing.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #370   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
A "Great Battle" is not something that can be made of default enemies appearing around. And yes, I've seen other screenshots. This map is doomed to be irritating, I honestly seek for something to praise this map for, but so far I see nothing.
And with you seemingly being the only one who doesn't like my map-without even having played it, no less-I couldn't care less.

Next time you pass judgement on my stuff, at least TRY to post some constructive criticism. Otherwise I'd prefer you wouldn't post at all.

Edit: And seeing as my map will be aimed at people who enjoy good co-op play (the default CT maps are piss-easy on co-op, even on Serious) at the small sacrifice of less impressive graphics, and you have never played co-op with us, you are automatically disqualified from my targeted player group. I can't say I particularly enjoyed the enemy scripting in your maps, so to each his own.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Last edited by Discy; 07-17-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #371   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Quote:
Fortunately for the rest of us, you are alone in this thought.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #372   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

I feel honored that my nagging on MSN pushed you to start on this again . Anyway, I fantasize about this map every night... The thought of you typing at your keyboard, clicking that mouse, applying those sexy textures, sends a deep tingling to my loins...

Ummm.... This is the second time in this thread I regret saying my thoughts out load.

Anyway, don't let this badass map fall to the DNF-itis syndrome. It must be finished!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #373   Add To Ignore List  
Supreme Commander

@Discy: IIRC this map does already take you an hour (or more?) to get through. If it is that long it must be really huge (MB), what would destroy good coop sessions, since then it would start to lag.

EDIT: Finzy said on page 7 (#313 ), that it takes ~3 hours. So I guess it has a really huge size (MB).
Finzy also suggested to split the map, which would be a good idea, since then it won't lag (that strong).

Last edited by XMR1; 07-18-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:16 AM   #374   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Sometimes.....simple is a good thing
If you are great at enemy scripting, the detail in the fight area won't matter if you're having so much fun with the fight. For one thing you'll be having so much fun, you'll only notice the detail in the architecture at the start and end of the battle when nothing is happening and then that's not long if you don't hang around after the end and not really worth the memory usage

If you can script a fight that is a lot of fun even when playing with the god cheat on, then I can safely say that you are a great mapper

You can also make a nice looking map with just blocks and such if you know what you're doing

I can't say I enjoy SLAwww's enemy scripting but there are those who do. To me, dumping a large ammount of enemies into an area as though it was Parse Error without the power to kill the big lump of death coming towards you isn't very fun

What is fun? Well, I've used a certain moment in nearly every map I attempt. Basically after a fight of 10 kleers with at least two onscreen at a time with just pistols, I then spawn either a reptiloid, blue biomech or zumbull (if SS:SE) infront of the door you have to go through.

Jumping and dodging the attacks is the key in this fight script I made with some well placed shots, it's not classic SS gameplay but is fun for the start of the map to set the pace from slow and strategic at the start to fast and furious at the end

and back to the point, I like the screenshot that Discy has posted. He could add some trees and maybe some paths though but otherwise it looks nice. At least it doesn't look terrible
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #375   Add To Ignore List  
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue View Post
What is fun? Well, I've used a certain moment in nearly every map I attempt. Basically after a fight of 10 kleers with at least two onscreen at a time with just pistols, I then spawn either a reptiloid, blue biomech or zumbull (if SS:SE) infront of the door you have to go through.
That doesn't say, that it is good enemy scripting nor it says it is fun. It may be fun for you, but others prefer tons of enemies.
Trying to make a fight hard by only keeping the weapons away from the player (so he has only colts + knife) is as boring as placing one spawner and let 100 enemies come out of it (either all at once or one by one). A good fight needs something between those two possibilities of fights.

Quote:
Deepblue:
and back to the point, I like the screenshot that Discy has posted. He could add some trees and maybe some paths though but otherwise it looks nice. At least it doesn't look terrible
Well, it doesn't look terrible, you're right. But it looks empty. I doubt that the fight will fill the whole area. So he could add some trees here and there (actually even only 3 of them would be enough). And if the fight really fills the whole place, he can add some columns along the wall, or just some statues behind the wall, so that the level looks not like only the main ways exists and nothing else. (In reality, while walking along a street, you'll see some higher buildings behind the houses that are built along the street your walking on, too.). This would make the map look more realistic without having to build a high detailed building, placed in the middle of the area that would smaller the palce where you can fight on.
Also, like you said Deepblue, pathes are a good idea.

Last edited by XMR1; 07-18-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #376   Add To Ignore List  
JETROID!!

Er, he could place model, and then blow them up at the start of the battel.

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #377   Add To Ignore List  
Supreme Commander

That would also be a good idea. It would be like mordekai fight in the grand cathedral.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #378   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

HAY! I want you to finish this.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #379   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Hello Discy! At the time of writing, you're currently in the train, on your way here! Yay!

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 10-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #380   Add To Ignore List  
Just Good

Meh, that slipped my mind.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:32 PM   #381   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Serious Spoon View Post
Hello Discy! At the time of writing, you're currently in the train, on your way here! Yay!
Hello Spoon! At the time of writing, I am sitting behind you messing around in the IRC channel with Armern next to me! Yay!