Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam

Serious Sam This is the place to discuss anything that either spans multiple games or doesn't fit with one specific game!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Aside from Damjan Mravunac, who else would be good at making music for Serious Sam?

There are many video game composers. I wonder which ones would make good music for Serious Sam when requested to do so.

Also, in some indie Serious Sam games, there have been composers other than Damjan as well.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Aside from Damjan Mravunac, who else would be good at making music for Serious Sa

There's only one person who can make the best Serious Sam music and that's Damjan. But should he not be available here's a list with people who could make something really decent (with obvious personal bias): Alexander Brandon, Sascha Dikiciyan, Rémi Gazel, Mick Gordon, Dan Wentz, Gustaf Grefberg, Jesper Kyd
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Aside from Damjan Mravunac, who else would be good at making music for Serious Sa

Question: Did that person who made music for Serious Sam HD: Extended also qualify?
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Basically anyone who can use Cubase/Steinberg Audio Software?

Before you bash me, let me say that OST/Soundtracks can only caught me inside the moment of a media experience (playing a game, watching a movie).

Could be that it catches me at a special moment, but after the experience i do not remember the OST/Soundtrack at all.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Juno Reactor & Don Davis?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

How about Trevor Jones? Imagine something like this for the final level of SS4:

YouTube Video: The Last of the Mohicans - Promentory

Compositionally it has nothing to do with Corridor of Death but it still evokes the final battle feeling of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:32 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Kinda cartoonish and unserious... Reminds me for SS2, I hope your SS "career" desn't start with SS2...

In SS3 Damjan found the right path, now he must follow it...
Old 07-27-2017, 03:06 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Adam Bond could also probably be good at making Serious Sam-style music.

As heard here.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:29 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Well i like SS2 cause it feels to me like more of TSE which i loved mlost from SS1/SSC.

TFE was way too long in Egypt, felt like 12 Hours with less variations, even with Sewers.
SO TFE is a good game, but SE & SS2 are greatness for me.

If you remove all the comedy gimmicks out of SS2 you still have a story left. So SS2 unserious/silly comedy does not make the story bad.

Maybe Croteam lacks of Creating a advanced Universe/gameworld for SS series.
CT should try to do make an RPG or RTS Strategy game. Would be intersting to see if CT can make advanced stuff.

Also how sounds cartoonish, as Music & inside a thread about SS game music?
Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

FE is superrior. Levels аре unfold very smoothly, something that lacks in later instalements, excluding SS3, but SS3 had it's own problems like flat level design, repetitive areas, and levels being too opened backwards. But SS3 shares the smoothly unfold of classic FE, mostly because follows it's formula.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Kinda cartoonish and unserious... Reminds me for SS2, I hope your SS "career" desn't start with SS2...

In SS3 Damjan found the right path, now he must follow it...
Promentory is cartoonish and unserious? Wat? And I started with Serious Sam on Xbox BTW.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Not to self-promote but...
Old 08-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

After listening toDeadKadath's tracks in his post a couple of days ago I was blown away. If you look past the loud peaking it sounds incredibly Sam-like without sounding derivative, I'm curious to see what he could make of a whole game's worth of music.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

His tracks is reminiscent of The Mummy series and Exhumed, especially with the cinematic use of Harmonic Minor scales.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:23 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I don't think someone can fill the shoes of Damjan - his style and way of writing are just too connected to the feel and tone of the series and it's really hard to come close to it if you pick some more or less famous composers (if, again, we are talking about professional musicians, not fans), because I'm more than sure their distinctive style would resonate too much with the game. Just look at various Serious Sam spinoffs/indie games and the way their composers utilised music - I think noone came close to Damjan at all (though I'd like to give some credit to the guy behind GBA game - it worked really well and there were some catchy tunes). But, on the other hand, there might be (or not) some underground, less popular young composer who can probably do a decent job and emulate Damjan. Probably an unknown cool cat we've never heard of before.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

I dunno, the guy/s that made the soundtrack for SSBD IMO is on equal ground. You gotta be careful with putting people on pedestals, it may cause up and coming musicians and composers to eclipse their own voice in favour of the object of their idolatry.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Well, it's not surprising because SSBD OST was written by Damjan. He knows his stuff the best.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekNik View Post
Well, it's not surprising because SSBD OST was written by Damjan. He knows his stuff the best.
Wouldn't be able to tell by ear alone, the style was very different. I am pretty sure he worked with someone in Crackshell to produce the songs.