Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

Divx is offline Send a message via AIM to Divx
Default Ces 2006

I'd give this year's CES an 'eh'. Other than Asimo (Honda's robot), nothing really innovative this year. Plus, there was an extreme shortage of hot useless models roaming around this year as compared to the previous couple years. Nothing like hot T&A to properly accent your products.

http://www.digitalkeg.com/pictures/CES2006/

Will have more images once I get the pictures/video my friend Dave took. He has a video of the entire Asimo presentation too.

What you missed. Beefed up media centers, too many ****ing ipod accessories, more ipod like mp3 players than you could ever care to know about and of course the obligatory fatality (however you spell that guy's online avatar) one man frag fest. Sony saved a small corner in their huge booth for their unplayablePS3 which played what I can only assume to be pre-rendered demos. Even if they weren't pre-rendered, none of it compares to what I saw on the new Xbox. Microsoft was pimping the new OS Windows Vista. Looks neat, I'll stick with Windows 2000. All around, South Hall seemed pretty uneventful.

Creative had their new line out, too crowded to get into a demonstration though.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD media types were banging heads there too. I put my money on HD-DVD, companies as a whole would be out of their mind to invest the money in a switch and not be backwards compatible. I put my money on blu-ray being the new beta max.

Only thing I saw new in high-end home audio was a nifty Star Tours theater like device which we had the opportunity to ride in watching Star Wars III (intro portion while they're flyin' around). Though there were some pretty tight speaker units which were I believe a 2 foot cube which put out an INCREDIBLE range of sound. Believe they were 1k a pair. Would be great for areas which you don't necessarily want high volume, but be able to fill a room with good quality full sound and not take up virtually zero space. Doesn't look like I took a picture though and I don't remember the company name. I'll find out if anyone is interested.

Sorry for the lack of depth, still recovering from the week and writin' about shit isn't my gig. I made 200 bucks playing craps too, that was nice.

When I get the pictures and video from my friend, I'll upload those too.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

Didn't they show off Sin: Emergence at CES?

After seeing Gamespot's coverage - god I want it... so badly.

Shameless self-promotion - click here to see my portfolio.
Shamelessly ripping films apart with the Popcorn Nazis.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divx
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD media types were banging heads there too. I put my money on HD-DVD, companies as a whole would be out of their mind to invest the money in a switch and not be backwards compatible. I put my money on blu-ray being the new beta max.
I had thought Blu-Ray wouldn't be backwards compatible, but recently they mentioned that a lot of their players will play back DVDs, so that's what you mean by backwards-compatible, right? It seems Blu-Ray isn't going to be as bad now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/
Will Blu-ray be backwards compatible with DVD?

Yes, several leading consumer electronics companies (including Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony and LG) have already demonstrated products that can read/write CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs using a BD/DVD/CD compatible optical head, so you don't have to worry about your existing DVD collection becoming obsolete. Although it's up to each manufacturer to decide if they want to make their products backwards compatible with DVD, the format is far too popular to not be supported. The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) expects every Blu-ray Disc device to be backward compatible with CDs and DVDs.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Mmm, tea.

Do you perhaps have a particular interest in... ooooh say... cars?

Other than that, very nice pics . I didn't catch a lot of info on the CES06, might have to read up sometime... hehe.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:16 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

actually, though my interests lie more with what's in the south hall (all the computer shit), there really wasn't anything all that impressive. Had more fun taking pictures in car audio.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Cuppa tea?

Did you drop by the AVN convention? I would have.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

haha, every year we keep threatening to go there...but never do. Perhaps next year. ;>
Old 01-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Cuppa tea?

By the way, here is a nice article about how gaming will influence the Format wars:

http://news.com.com/Gamers+could+inf...3-6023817.html
Old 01-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

Good article...think we should make a betting pool on which format takes a shit. My money would still be on HD-DVD coming out on top and Blu-Ray being the latest greatest beta max.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Cuppa tea?

im going for Hd DVD my self too. I think the vice grip that Sony has on the Blue Ray format will be its killing point.