Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod An experiment! That's what this game is all about, so let's discuss, play, make, and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  

Default Garry's Mod 10 on Steam today

http://steamgames.com/v/index.php?area=game&AppId=4000&

In case didn't know, Garry's mod is basically just a physics sandbox mod for Half Life 2. There are a ton of things you can do in it.. it's really up to how creative you are. Version 9 was the last free version (and will remain free) but version 10 is going to begin selling on Steam for $10 today.

Apparently the whole mod was completely rebuilt from scratch, and a bunch of new features were added. I don't know if I'm gonna get it or not. I didn't like the idea of having to pay for it when it was first announced, but version 10 looks really, really well made.. so I don't know.

Anyone going to buy it?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:52 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
The sinister cat

Perkele is offline Send a message via MSN to Perkele
Default Re: Garry's Mod 10 on Steam today

Looks definetly interesting, but how long can you have fun with it? Besides, I have banned steam, so I won't be buying it anyway.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Who reads these?

Meh. Garrys mod gets old, no matter how much extra crap you tack on.

We all enter this world in the same way: naked, screaming, soaked in blood, and if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have to stop there.
-Dana Gould

The key is to hit really hard.
With the bat.
-Marco, Sealab 2021
Old 11-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Afro

damn it looks really good... maybe i am going to buy it
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

I wouldn't spend $10 on something like that, it's just a mod...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Afro

yeah... but its only 10$... but still... i have to upgrade my pc first...
Old 11-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Godammit. I'd have to pay
..........*sigh*
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue View Post
Godammit. I'd have to pay
..........*sigh*
You don't need to, Gmod 9 has all you need for making comics anyway I'm not going to buy this Gmod10. I already got bored to Gmod9, and it's enough for creating comics...at least for me.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

10 bucks is nothing compared to the amount of work he did for GM10 and the features it contains.

Shameless self-promotion - click here to see my portfolio.
Shamelessly ripping films apart with the Popcorn Nazis.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  

Yeah it's "just a mod", but it's a mod unlike any other you've seen. Mix that with the fact that version 10 is unusually professional, and I think you have a $10 worthy product.

I hated the idea of selling it when it was first announced, but now that I've seen the final product, I think it's justified.

Last edited by viper45; 11-29-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

in an earlier thread I commented on this... dumb Gary making me pay for it. steam is desperatley trying to make people pay for $#!t. they keep making games like "The Ship" and "Dark Messiah: Might and Magic".... who buys this crap? GMOD10 has to be one BITCHN' mod for me to pay for it
Old 11-29-2006, 08:52 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

I think it is one BITCHN' mod, typhoon-man.

Maybe you aren't aware of it, but Steam needs money to survive.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendan
Maybe you aren't aware of it, but Steam needs money to survive.
You're right, the entire "Half-Life" series didn't give them enough money, they DO need more...
Old 11-30-2006, 02:13 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  

dude. you realize the goal of ever company is to make profit, right? "Oh hey, wait -- guys, wait. we've made enough money. let's give things away for free!!!!!!!!!"

By the way, Valve needs money to keep the Steam servers running. Those games you listed, The Ship,Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, and most games that you can buy on Steam that aren't, say... Half Life, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, etc. related, aren't developed by Valve. Most of the profit goes out to the developers of those individual games, while Valve gets a cut of it for distributing the game and keeping it on their servers.

Same thing applies to Garry (and his team. I think he has a team.).
Old 11-30-2006, 02:55 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon-man View Post
You're right, the entire "Half-Life" series didn't give them enough money, they DO need more...
Yeah, I guess they should just retire and not make even more games that people love playing. And screw these other developers who want to use Steam instead of going to another greedy publisher, screw this online distribution system, I'd rather go back to CD keys and crappy rootkit copy protection. Valve really sucks.

[/sarcasm]
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
Who the hell would spend millions of dollars making & publishing a game that will cost nothing? Either you were high when you wrote that or you need to pay more attention in maths class.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I'll agree with typhoon-man. It shouldn't be even considered a mod- since when have people started paying to play third-party game modifications, anyway? I think the whole idea of Gmod is going a bit too far away. It was meant to be just a fun sandbox modification that anyone could play with- for free anyway, since it didn't include any new materials, as most of the models and stuff were from the normal game. I sure hope other modders won't follow this idea...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Oswald is offline Send a message via ICQ to Oswald Send a message via AIM to Oswald

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1NLAND-Warrior View Post
I'll agree with typhoon-man. It shouldn't be even considered a mod- since when have people started paying to play third-party game modifications, anyway? I think the whole idea of Gmod is going a bit too far away. It was meant to be just a fun sandbox modification that anyone could play with- for free anyway, since it didn't include any new materials, as most of the models and stuff were from the normal game. I sure hope other modders won't follow this idea...
Boy, I sure hope other people that pour hundreds of hours into development don't get paid for their time. I mean, they just don't deserve it - because I want it free.

But I do expect them to continue to throw their personal time into their work and make constant updates that kick ass. Kekeke.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

all I'm saying is that Gary's Mod should stick with releasing it for free, after all, it's only a mod. Valve kinda does need the money because that is their only job, as oppsed to Gary and his team who have regular jobs they should be getting money from. I know Counter-Strike was originally just a mod too, but I don't think Gary's Mod will ever be as good as Counter-Strike Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendan
you need to pay more attention in maths class
i know...
Old 11-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
...is dreaming.

Quote:
all I'm saying is that Gary's Mod should stick with releasing it for free, after all, it's only a mod. Valve kinda does need the money because that is their only job, as oppsed to Gary and his team who have regular jobs they should be getting money from. I know Counter-Strike was originally just a mod too, but I don't think Gary's Mod will ever be as good as Counter-Strike Source
So if Garry has a regular job that occupies his time for 40 hours a week and spends say, 20 hours a week programming Garry's Mod - why would he want to spend 20 hours in-front of his computer churning out code on his 'free time'?

It's obvious that the man makes damn good modifications - how is asking 10 dollars for his hours of work asking 'too much'?

Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

how do you get garrys mod 9?

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Recursively Defined

Walt is offline Send a message via ICQ to Walt Send a message via AIM to Walt Send a message via MSN to Walt Send a message via Yahoo to Walt

Someone charging money for a project that took hundreds and hundreds of man hours to create? A digital distribution network that directly supports independent game development?

I don't think that's fair.
I WILL HAVE JUSTICE.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Steven_seagal2.jpg
Old 11-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

JetHolt, get Gmod-9 here
Link to info about Gmod-10 here
Old 11-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Updating Fool

As I fellow modder, I think it's great that he is finally getting paid for all of his hard work. Making a mod is no easy task, and usually requires a huge amount of time. His mod has to be one of the most impressive and creative ones that I've ever seen, and it didn't get to be that way with a few hundred hours of coding.

For example, for all of the thousands of hours of blood, sweat, and tears I put into the Sam 1 Parse Errors, I got 2 things from only one person. A slightly used 120 gig hard drive and a brand new 6600GT.

So let's see here, if I put in say, 3k hours (prob a decent estimate since I sank every bit of my spare time into it for about 2 years) and got 2 gifts whose worth totals about $350, I ended up getting paid about $0.12 an hour...

Don't get me wrong, I loved making the mods and even chose to put myself through that madness again, but it would be nice to have some kind of reward other than hearing, 'Nice Mod!'.

How many of you would spend countless hours of your free time for a few compliments? You'd have to be Insane...

Last edited by D w K; 11-30-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:48 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  

I bought it. I'm pretty happy with it. It's extremely professional and... just feels "complete." Yeah it's pretty awesome.

Another cool thing is that there were a couple features people were complaining about. Today there was an automatic Steam update -- and those features were changed to meet what people wanted. The mod was released yesterday afternoon...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

What new features does version 10 have? I understood that it was just a sandbox, what has he done to improve on the concept?

I ask not out of spite, but out of ignorance because I've pretty much ignored GMod.
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post
What new features does version 10 have? I understood that it was just a sandbox, what has he done to improve on the concept?

I ask not out of spite, but out of ignorance because I've pretty much ignored GMod.
Same here. I've been curious what makes it go from $0 to $10 as well.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 12-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  

To be honest, I haven't been following Gmod either so I don't know what all is new.

What I do know is that the entire mod was rebuilt from the ground up. The menus are all different, alot easier to go through and a lot more professional looking.

The stuff you could do in the past versions is all there, but most of it got an overhaul. Just general optimizations and making stuff feel and work better.

As for completely new features... I know there are things called "hoverballs" which let you make objects float. Mainly for creating things like... hovercraft vehicles and stuff. Before I think you just had to use a bunch of balloons (lol) and... that's just ghetto. It's got new and better working post-processing stuff. You can map more actions to the number pad, and then you can create a button so that when it's pressed ingame, it acts like a number on the number pad (that you specify). That's pretty cool.

oh and I noticed a hydraulics thing. I haven't messed with that yet though.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:04 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

OldFighter is offline Send a message via ICQ to OldFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper View Post
screw this online distribution system, I'd rather go back to CD keys and crappy rootkit copy protection. Valve really sucks.

[/sarcasm]
Now your learning. I always knew you would catch on sooner or later.

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
http://www.gwpark.org/
Old 12-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

Quote:
Originally Posted by D w K View Post
As I fellow modder, I think it's great that he is finally getting paid for all of his hard work. Making a mod is no easy task, and usually requires a huge amount of time. His mod has to be one of the most impressive and creative ones that I've ever seen, and it didn't get to be that way with a few hundred hours of coding.

For example, for all of the thousands of hours of blood, sweat, and tears I put into the Sam 1 Parse Errors, I got 2 things from only one person. A slightly used 120 gig hard drive and a brand new 6600GT.

So let's see here, if I put in say, 3k hours (prob a decent estimate since I sank every bit of my spare time into it for about 2 years) and got 2 gifts whose worth totals about $350, I ended up getting paid about $0.12 an hour...

Don't get me wrong, I loved making the mods and even chose to put myself through that madness again, but it would be nice to have some kind of reward other than hearing, 'Nice Mod!'.

How many of you would spend countless hours of your free time for a few compliments? You'd have to be Insane...
You know...as inadequate as it may be...i have to say it.
Nice Mod!

nice nice nice mod.