Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Sam Classic Mods

Serious Sam Classic Mods General mod discussion for Serious Sam 1 goes in this forum, also any tutorials/tutorial requests that have not been added to Serious Sam Wiki yet.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww
Arrow The Black Radiance mod

I wasn't a very active mapper during last months because almost all my inspiration for working at mayan mappack had gone. I started some other projects, but got back to the mappack as soon as possible with hope of finishing it "next week". It's very close to the release now, but I can't force myself to work on it any more. And nobody is going to take at least some part of work on the mappack... Actually there were some people, but they either didn't do anything or did everything way too bad.
That's why for now I'm switching to work on previously announced horror mod for SS. It has been in modelling stage for quite some time, and now I'm gonna make some maps for it. And I won't concentrate on architecture details so much this time since the main point of this mod is to scare you. Plus, horror mod doesn't require any big scripted enemy battles.
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/TestGame_shot0004.jpg
I used a remake of standart SS enemy on this screen, but all enemies in the mod will be completelly different. It won't remind SS at all. Now it's a mix of Silent Hill, Half-Life 1 and Aliens vs. Predator (no there won't be any aliens ). I've also changed the storyline since the last time I worked on it.
I already have everything I need to start mapping for the mod (models, textures, sounds, etc). I even made a flashlight in XBOX mod that works perfectly without any coding (it even turns up and down!). Now I'm waiting for Fragman to code me one VERY important entity without which the mod will not be possible to make. He already have sources for it, but he can't compile it right now so you can't see the main thing of the mod yet.

Now I'd like to listen to your opinions. I made a list of stuff in computer games that makes them scary. Please add anything you think would also help to make the mod more terrifying.
1) Darkness
2) Unsupposed stuff (you go along the corridor and suddendly.... )
3) Human-like enemies (not monsters like gnaars or mechanoids)
4) Many different kinds of human-like enemies
5) Sounds
6) Painful stuff (giant knifes and torture machines, ....)
7) Realism

Sorry for posting this on Christmas if I insulted anyone. It really doesn't seem to be a good present for such holiday. But I guarantee that you will like playing the mod when it's done. And hopefully, working on it for some time will give me inspiration to finish the mayan mappack...

And btw do you like the title?
Old 12-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--
Default Re: The Black Radiance mod

Well, athmosphere makes a great part of this feeling, wether it is lights going out, flickering, or hearing strange sounds out of the darkness. Also seeing dangerous enemies from a place where you can take a good look at them but they can't hurt you can be effective.

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 12-25-2006, 03:33 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Agh! I keep forgetting about this (Especially with Christmas and other mapping projects. I should get back to my map(s) for it
Old 12-25-2006, 10:59 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Here's a quick list of stuff that's NOT scary in a video game, but just annoying:
1. Every single window only exists so a zombie can smash through it when you get too close. (After the 3rd time it happens, it's not "unsupposed" any more. It's just boring.)
2. Cutscenes or scripted sequences copied from other survival horror games.
3. A map so dark you can't see what you're doing. (Just frustrating.)
4. Doom 3 clones. Resident Evil clones. Silent Hill clones.
5. So much blood and gore that you get desensitized to it and don't care any more.
6. ridiculous torture machines that nobody would ever build in real life, that exist for no purpose.
7. Instant death areas that you can't avoid unless you die in them once to discover that they're there.
8. Zombies or other monsters making CONSTANT LOUD noises, even if they're on the other side of the map and you won't encounter them for 20 minutes. (Thanks, They Hunger.)
9. Going to a lot of trouble to herd a defenseless NPC through a level, only to watch him die at the next scripted sequence.
10. Jumping puzzles. Seriously, they aren't fun. Especially if my frame rate's bad.
11. Skeletons with rocket launchers grafted onto their arms and wheelchairs and mannequin parts with smaller rocketskelletonmannequinwheelchairs protruding from their stomachs.
12. An NPC telling you that something is really scary. If they have to tell you it's scary... it's not scary. Do it over.

Last edited by WarpZone; 12-25-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Disgusting enimies like in half life two we dont go to ravenholm.I mean the screeching and then the quick zombies appear and the sudden enimies jumping out from behind you and gore lots of gore very creepy

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

How about zombie sniper guys? In Daylight they'd be easy to pick off but in darkness and that HUD FX along with you looking around every corner because you don't know what to expect?

You'll be looking at bullet holes that suddenly appear with a *ping* and the odd time you getting hurt and looking around to find where the shots are coming from and you'd be unsucceful because it's dark (and maybe foggy and/or misty)

Maybe throw a small enemy in after a while so if you haven't found the sniper just yet you won't notice the small enemy until you turn around and it jumps in your face (Silent enemies are good)

This should'nt happen throughout the mod but at least a fair 1-3 times

We don't need tons of enemies because its a horror mod. A mod for Serious Sam it is, yes, but not the direction we want to go with this mod

How about a heavy breathing sound when enemies are near?
Old 12-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

GeForceNoob is offline Send a message via MSN to GeForceNoob

I think the best zombies are the melee ones. Because usually zombies don't use weapons like snipers , miniguns because they're dead, they only think about how to kill&eat. Their usual attacks are - bite, claw stab, and etc. My suggestion is not to copy ones from games like HL, because it won't be interesting to see the same one in ss. Better place zombies in darken places, in basements, in some abandoned places. Make them be more active at night time. New, creepy sounds, something like human suffering from pain would be a nice touch also. That's what I can think about, for now.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

A good design for a melee zombie so it doesn't copy something like HL is dismembered hands with sharpened bone sticking out of the stump. Sure it's gore but it's more for a reason (It's a Zombie) than just to make things scary
Old 12-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Why do you guys think there will be zombies?

There will be walking corpses, not zombies. There's a slight difference between the zombie and the corpse. The corpse can be misformed & without different body parts and it will attack you until you destroy its body completely (or escape from it). No corpses-snipers nor rocketers, only melle attack. And NO Netricsa to tell you about what you've just killed and where you are now.
There will be a LOT of different kinds of corpses. But there will be two other enemy types in the game (I won't spoil the surprise for now).

Quote:
4. Doom 3 clones. Resident Evil clones. Silent Hill clones.
It's not a SH clone, but it's gonna use noise effect like in SH. Don't take it as clonning SH because it has much different gameplay and style.
Quote:
mannequin parts with smaller rocketskelletonmannequinwheelchairs protruding from their stomachs.
There will be corpses fused together into some disgusting mass, but without any weapons. I hope that's not what you ment.
Quote:
5. So much blood and gore that you get desensitized to it and don't care any more.
Don't worry about that. There is just ENOUGH blood.
I agree with all your other ideas WarpZone.

And a few more words I'm not gonna keep in surprise. There will be two worlds in the game resembling each other, but very different. Player will switch between them several times during the game. The first one is the "old world". Everything in that world is seen through a retro-styled movie tape effect. All clocks and calendars have stopped at one day: May 14, 1967 (that's a special date, but I won't tell you what it weans). The time in that place appears to be staying at one point. There are no monsters nor anything that could hurt player, only some quest elements. The second world is "black", it's filled with all kinds of terrifying stuff. It looks like a very decayed and misformed first world. And you never expect when those worlds switch.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:57 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Is there any way for me you to give me the latest version of your mod? or is it too buggy to work with mapping wise?

I don't know why but I always find it easier mapping for a mod if I'm working with even just an early stage of the mod
Old 12-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

I would give you the mod now, but without that special entity it's just useless. You won't be able to put enemies into the map without that entity.

Why don't you contact me on the icq anyway? I'd tell you some new storyline details and answer all questions.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

What special entity?
Old 12-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Ok I'll tell you.

Feel its power just when you read its name...

CustomEnemy

There's no other way to make so many different kinds of monsters, coding them would take too much work and time.

And I'm already online in the icq...
Old 12-27-2006, 03:26 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Finally some progress.
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/Start_shot0000.jpg
I've been making some horror sounds today. What would you say about this one?
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload...t06/AMB001.zip
Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Firejuno is offline Send a message via ICQ to Firejuno Send a message via MSN to Firejuno

Looks nice so far
Did you actually edit the photo or is that pixelized effect ingame too?
Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Thanks. It's an in-game effect. In the Old world there will be a bit different effect.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:11 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Truck needs some work with textures. For example, glass can't be made from metal try to add stain reflection texture, or something like that
But the "model" looks good. It's hard to make such things with CSG operations in SEd1. Nice job

Last edited by GeForceNoob; 12-28-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:39 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

I'm sure he made that truck in W-3D, that's why it's all one texture. He'd probably work on the texturing later
Old 12-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Any idea on a relese date?how many percent have you done?im aboutm to use wikipedia on that date is that ok?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

I made that truck from bools in SED. It has a metal texture instead of glass one on the windows because they're so rusted that you can't see anything through them. The whole truck is rusted as crap.
I have no idea on the release date. But with this mod I'm moving much faster than with other my projects. Check out what I've made today.
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/OW01.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/OW02.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/OW03.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/OW04.jpg
Those screenshots were taken in game in Old world mode so that you can see its view effect.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:34 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

So that black stuff around the edges will be there too? How do I do it?
Also for the truck.......how the hell can glass rust? Make the glass dusty or something
Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

If you've ever been in Kiev and tried our public transport you would see a rusted glass. You would also see the road through the holes in the floor and the loudest doors on Earth...
Old 12-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

It doesn't look rusted to me. Try reflective stain + metal texture then. You will notice the difference then. As for new screenshots, good work.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:39 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

I finally made the best replacement for knife.
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/P_TOPOR_P.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/P_2topor_P.jpg
The monsters on the second screenshot are an untextured version of one of the first walking corpse's model with some animations I've already made.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:42 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Now that is awesome
But why are the enemies walking around in the oldworld? Should they be in the Darkworld?

How about re-texturing the hand model to remove the glove. It's not meant to be Sam is it?

How about sometimes you'll see dead bodies of enemies in oldworld but when you go into darkworld, some of those bodies get up and attack? With a suitable sound for the second an enemy get's up?

Instead of going into IRC to ask for mod updates, how about if you feel I need to have some new stuff for the mod, y'know for mapping purposes, just PM me with the file uploaded. I'll notice I have a new PM

Last edited by Deepblue; 12-29-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

It's a Black world screenshot, not an Old world one. An Old world screenshots are the ones with black border around the screen and brown noise.
I'll retexturize the hand so don't worry about the glove.

And no corpses in the Old world. It's a normal world, though it's very old.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Ah I'm confused I though yellow noise for darkworld
Old 12-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Slawww what about if you press h?or die

Old 12-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Wha? Explain, Jet...
Old 12-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

If you press h nothing happens. It has no 3rd person view.
And if you die... uhm... you just die.

Now check out some pics from an appartament I made today. It has one small quest in it. You need to complete that quest in order to get out of the apartament. There's no noise effect over the screen for a specific reason and the FOV is seted to 75.
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/Motel_001.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/Motel_003.jpg
http://upload.localnetsys.com/upload/august06/Motel_004.jpg