Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Editor

Serious Editor Discuss mapping ideas & problems or show tutorials and maps.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2001, 12:16 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

DarkSpotInTheCorner is offline Send a message via ICQ to DarkSpotInTheCorner
Exclamation Let's do a Tutorial Thread

Hey altogether... I thought it would be a good idea to make a collective tutorial thread here in the mapping forum that everyone could use to get help from and to publish his own ideas under one easy-to-find Thread...
Old 12-27-2001, 12:43 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Post Beginner Tutorial - Basic Knowledge

TUTORIAL
------------------------------
Level: Beginner
Content: Layers and how to use them

This especially useful when you are new to Serious Editing.

The Editor works with layers, that means every part of the geometry is allocated to a specific layer. A layer is also a single entity.

All brushes on the same layer have the following properties...
-> The can't be moved, except as a whole, and only when the layer is not anchored (You can anchor a layer by checking it's anchor checkbox in it's entity properties. The primary layer (called World Base by default) is anchored by default).
-> They interact by csg operations, that means that when you place a small cube at the floor inside a room, and those two brushes share the same layer, the floor of the room will be split into several triangles, responding to the new brush on it. This will result in a higher polycount -> One of the main reasons layers should be used is to avoid that increased polycount )

When you ADD a brush, it is automatically added to the current selected layer, or to an placed but empty layer (those small globes that appear when you first open a new level).

You currently selected layer is displayed in your menu bar, left of the buttons that are used to select the type of brush you want to add to your level. It's a drop down combobox that only shows the Text "World Base" in a new level upon creating the first brush.

To create a new layer (one that does not split your other layer's polygons, and that you can move indepentently from your other geometry) you have to click the JOIN LAYERS button. The text actually is a little bit misleading, as the button does not join anything actually, for it inserts the current brush in built into a new layer.

When you have done this, you should have two possibilities to choose from in the layer selection box, both named "World Base". To change the name of the newly created layer, you'll have to switch to the entity mode (pressing the button "E") and select the new brush, note that only the new brush turns blue when doing so. Now go to the entity property dialog, located at the left of your screen by default, and select the name property. Type any name, i.e. "Detail" there and hit ENTER. Now you should notice that the layer selection box should feature two layers, one named "World Base" and another one named "Detail". When you now ADD a brush, it is added to the currently selected layer, and will not interfere with any other layers.
For the JOIN LAYERS button it is completely unimportant what layer is currently selected in the combobox, as it always creates a new one.

The SUBSTRACT button is very similar to the ADD button, only that this time nothing is added to the selected layer, but instead is substracted from it.
IMPORTANT: You can achieve similar results by adding a room to substract from solid or adding a solid to substract from a room, i'm not sure what is different in substraction mode.

Well, this should basically cover the layers... If you have any questions left about the topic, or have something to add/correct, just post it here...

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 12-27-2001 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:24 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

TUTORIAL
Level: Intermediate
Content: Floating Items without SS++
Assumed Knowledge: Basic Knowledge of the Editor, Moving Brushes and handling Entities

This one is a quicky.

There is a way to do floating items without using the SS++ mod done my Iirion Claus. It's a bit tricky and nasty, but it works.

- First, create a moving brush. Make is very small, you won't really need it in-game.
- Then create the mover's waypoints, to make a stationary floating item you'll need a brush that simply rotates around the z-axis perpetually.
- Change the polygons of the mover to "Portal", "Passable", "Invisible" and "Shoot Through" (This way the brush will be virtually non-existent in the game)
- Then create your item and place it directly over the movers z-axis.
- Make the mover the parent of your item.

---> Well, that's it, you will see, that as long as the brush is moving (Set the "Autostart property" to ensure this) the item will stick to it and not fall down.

NOTE: I notice my item sinking into the brush a bit, i don't know if this can be fixed, but you can get the desired height by playing around a bit...

Have Fun
Old 12-29-2001, 09:28 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
pee pee

toastar is offline Send a message via ICQ to toastar

In the Second Encounter all you have to do is flag something as floating and you can avoid this.. neat tut though!
Old 12-30-2001, 07:19 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Good news indeed.
They could as well integrate it in the next patch for the FE if you ask me...
Old 01-01-2002, 09:16 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

TUTORIAL
Level: Intermediate
Content: Connecting two different Worldbases
Assumed Knowledge: Basic Knowledge of the Editor, Advanced Texturing and Handling Entities

NOTE: Due to annoyingly cunning webspace provider i am unable to properly post pictures, or even links to pictures here. To benefit from my graphical tutorial enhancements, you'll have to copy the url's into your browsers nav-line and jump there manually. As soon as i manage to find another free provider that let you link our images correctly, i'll change that. BTW: If you know one, drop me a line!

I know this has been done before, but i've seen some people having problems with overlapping textures.

I tried it myself and figured a way to avoid this. I will post this tutorial in full length to make it more easy for you.

Assume that you have to different worldbases, then you build a corridor in the first worldbase that directly touches the other worldbase you want to have access to.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/darkspot/images/sstutorial1/1.gif
We want to connect our two worldbases by making a brush at the point (0,0,0)

Create a brush on WorlBase1 and place it so that it touches WorldBase2. Then mark the four polygons not touching any worldbase and make them invisible. This prevents that ugly texture overlapping effect.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/darkspot/images/sstutorial1/2.gif
You see, the polygons become invisible and are of no importance anymore.

Next, select the one polygon that touches WorldBase2. And flag the checkboxes: "Portal", "Passable", "Invisible" and "Detail".

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/darkspot/images/sstutorial1/3.gif
The polygon will dissapear and you will only be able to select by "shift"+"rightclick"

Now comes the tricky part. Create another brush of the same dimensions the previous ones had, and place it on the same position, only that this time you'll add it to WorldBase2.
http://www.angelfire.com/games4/darkspot/images/sstutorial1/4.gif
Make sure to select it first.

Now all you need to do is to mark the polygon of the new brush that is in contanct with WorlBase1 and flag the checkboxes: "Portal", "Passable", "Invisible" and "Detail", as previously done.

http://www.angelfire.com/games4/darkspot/images/sstutorial1/5.gif
There you are...

You should now be able to walk between the two World Bases without any difficulties.

Happy Mapping!

BTW: Happy New Year!!!

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 01-01-2002 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2002, 10:19 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
untitled.

Hollywood is offline Send a message via MSN to Hollywood

o00o Purdy Colours

um, if Serious Grandpa is still going that MOD FARM site, maybe these tuts you're writting can go on there also? Maybe Serious Editing?

BTW you can attach pictures to replies
Old 01-02-2002, 12:41 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy

Doesn't look like anyone else is helping here. Well keep it up anyway, DarkSpotInTheCorner.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:01 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

ya gotta do it for yourself if you want satisfaction.

Last edited by HighMaintenance; 01-02-2002 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:16 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Nyuk!

ill make a short tutorial.

CONTENT: AS, N, V... i mean, making a secret.
DIFFICULTY: super simple.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: none, just about.

HOW TO MAKE A SECRET SHOW UP IN NECTRISSA:
1: drag a trigger onto the map.
2: set the score to 10000
3: trigger it.

if you did it right, the computer will say SECRETS : 0/1 and then SECRETS : 1/1 once you trigger it.

it helps looking at Croteam's maps.

more tutorials to come!

Lo Rez
Old 01-05-2002, 09:12 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ Mr Seven:

You could drop me the url to Serious Grandpa's Tut-Farm . I'll send them in...
Serious Editing i already know. I'll just have to check that i'm not sending in stuff they already got...

----------

@ Smithboy:

Sure, i'll keep it up.
And maybe, if i'm persistent enough, some others will join in... Or maybe not... who knows...

----------

@ TheHappyHomo:

My, aren't we negative today?!

----------

@ DiEgo:

Nice one... Good for creating SP/CP levels...
BTW: Thanx for joining

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 01-05-2002 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2002, 09:48 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Nyuk!

linkage to two tutorials i made:
Sounds and Music http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/diego/soundstut.html

Cameras http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/diego/cameratut.html

there are alot of little things i know that can be made into tutorials... problem is, i dont think of most of them unless someone asks a question. it's sort of like i do them automatically.

Lo Rez
Old 01-06-2002, 05:51 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Leprechaun, BOO!

Earthling is offline Send a message via ICQ to Earthling Send a message via AIM to Earthling Send a message via MSN to Earthling

DiEgo, you forgot the "Add the magical MusicHolder" part.
Old 01-06-2002, 11:35 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

addman is offline Send a message via ICQ to addman

My tutorial: (It was hosted at LSDs site, but i think he has taken it down.. Also i cant upload all the pictures because it only lets be upload 1)
Author: Adam Stanier A.K.A AddMan
Title: Advanced Storms
Date: 20/09/01

This is part one of a two-part tutorial covering advanced storms with skyboxes. It covers fading in a different set of textures in to the skybox, blending them and controlling the sun’s flare as it passes behind a cloudy sky.

Required Knowledge: Basic room, skybox, realistic rain, and triggers.

First create a conus primitive, dimensions: 50l x 50w x 20h, make sure the room tag is checked and position it at 0,0,0. Set the walls and ceiling to portal under the polygon properties, and texture the floor as appropriate.

Next we create the skybox to use for the tutorial. Make your skybox off to the side of the map, out of the way of your other rooms. When you have created your skybox, add a directional light where the sun is and a background viewer. Select the light you use as your sun and check the “lens flare only” property, on the “lens flare” property choose a suitable lens flare. Now go to the “Light animation file” property and select “/animations/LightOnTrigger.ani” (you may have to unzip 1_00.gro to get at this file). Select the “Light animation” property and choose “Light on”.

Now we can start to create the storm. Select the walls and ceiling of your skybox. Click on the “texture tab”, then the “texture 2” checkbox. Check both clamp U/V check boxes. Now select the storm textures from the Hatshepsut level and align them to the surfaces of the walls and ceiling by pressing “ctrl + k” and “ctrl + shift + k”. (or right click and go to mapping, then choose “align mapping U” and “align mapping V”. On the “blend” box for each texture select “stormy sky blend”.

Once you have done this, drop a “world settings controller” , a “storm controller” (advanced entities), 2 animation changers and three triggers into the skybox. Select the “background viewer” entity and set the “world settings controller” option as your world settings controller.

Name the three triggers “start storm”, “stop storm” and “flare on”. Select the “start storm” trigger and set the “Event Type Target 1” to “start event” and the “target” to your storm controller. Select the “stop storm” trigger, set the “Event type Target 1” to “stop event” and the target to storm controller.

Drop a weapon and some ammo into the map. Set the “target” value on the weapon to “Start Storm”, and the “target” value on the ammo to “stop storm”. Place a player start in and test the map.

You will see that the lens flare remains, even in the middle of the storm! Now we will fix this.

First of all select your “sun” light, check the “targetable” property. Then name the animation changers to “Sun Flare off” and “Sun flare on”. Select the “Sun Flare off” animation changer, set its “target” property to your “sun” and set the “Diffuse Light Animation” property to “sun reflection disappearing”. Now select the “Sun flare on” animation changer and set the “diffuse light animation” to “sun reflection appearing”.

Select the trigger “flare on”, set the “Event Type Target 1” to “start event”, and the target to the “Sun flare on” animation changer. Set the “wait” to “7”.
Almost finished the lens flare :o). Select the trigger “start storm”, set the “Event Type Target 2” to “start event” and the target to the “sun flare off” animation changer.

Select the trigger “stop storm” and set the “target 2” as the “flare on” trigger.

Now you can test your map and watch a beautiful storm. Still, there is one thing missing: lightning!

I will cover lightning in the next part of this tutorial. To add to this map you could add fog and other effects, any questions/comments/suggestions email: ads_007_2000@hotmail.com
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2002, 07:07 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy

I like your use of colors. Purdy.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Nyuk!

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling
DiEgo, you forgot the "Add the magical MusicHolder" part.
whaaaa?

if you are talking about this quote from my tut...

"For music, drag a music holder onto the map. It doesn't matter where you put it, since there is no fall off for it. So place it where you can easily find it. Set the music light to the mp3 file of your choice (make sure its in the Serious Sam directory!), and this music will play when there are no enemies. Music medium plays when there is a light battle, and music heavy (found in the 1_00_music/music/fight folder) playes when you are fighting a huge battle. The volumes toggles how loud each music will be played."

...then i guess i forgot the word 'magical'

Lo Rez
Old 01-09-2002, 11:38 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ DiEgo

Nice, nice, nice...
Keep em' rolling...

----------------------

@ addman

Welcome on board.
BTW: This is the first time that i saw a lightning skybox tutorial. Nice job.

----------------------

@ Smithboy

Why, thank you.
It's useful to keep your posts interesting and easy-to-read.
And, of course it helps to prevent people from discovering that i'm posting useless junk.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:08 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

TUTORIAL
Level: Entity Guide
Content: Time Controller Entity

Key Description:

--> Absolute - This Boolean determines if the Time Speed this Entity is multiplied with the current time speed or if it replaces the current time speed.
Example: If you have trigger three Time Controllers (each one has Absolute UNchecked) in a row, and their Time speed is 0.5 each, then the first would set the time 1 x 0.5 = 0.5 (assume that the previous time was 1). Then the second one would set time to 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25 and the third would set it to 0.25 x 0.5 = 0.125. If these Time Controller would have all had their Absolute flag checked, then time would have gone down to 0.5 and stayed there (unrelated to the previous time settings).

--> Auto clear stretch after... - This Variable determines how long the time alteration will lasts (in real time seconds, not in the alterated timescale!!). A -1 will make it last until overwritten by another Time Controller.

--> Fade in Time - This Variable determines the time length (again in real time seconds) that will blend the current time speed with the current one (A higher value means a smooth transition between the two time speeds, while a shorter, even 0, means that time will change abruptly).

--> Name - This is common. This String determines that code that other entities use to target this one. To activate a Time Controller via an entity you'll have to set the event type to "Start Event".

--> Parent - This String is used to tie entities together. It is obsulete for the time controller as it's position is unimportant.

--> Spawn Flags - The various Flags determine if the entity is present in the several difficulty levels and game types.

--> Time Speed - This is the core Variable of the Time Controller. This value determines the stretch that will be applied to time upon activation of the controller.
Example: 1 means normal speed, 0.5 means halved speed, 0.25 a quarter, and so forth. Note however that it is possible to accelearate time by entering values above 1, but this usually results in strange movement and stocky controls, so this is not really an option.

Path : You will find the Time Controller class in "classes\TimeController.ecl"

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 02-02-2002 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:33 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

TUTORIAL
Level: Entity Guide
Content: Meteor Storm

Key Description:

--> Area - This Variable determines the radius of the impact zone. You'll get one of those beautiful green spheres that will show you the zone of death.

--> Density - This Integer ranges from 1 to 100. It's determinating how may meteors will by flying down at the same time.

--> Launch Distance - This Variable sets the distance the meteors will travel before arriving at the point of impact. This Key and the "Speed" Key are important to determine the time that a meteor will take to reach it's target. You can even exceed the height of your skybox, it'll work just fine, as long as there is nothing above it.

--> Max. Stretch - This is a random stretch modifier that is applied to the meteors.

--> Min. Stretch - This is a random stretch modifier that is applied to the meteors.

--> Name - This is common. This String determines that code that other entities use to target this one. To activate a Meteor Shower via an entity you'll have to set the event type to "Start Environment Event".

--> Parent - This String is used to tie entities together. The Meteor Shower entity will move and rotate relative to it's parent.

--> Safe Area - This Variable sets the Safe Zone inside the Area impace zone, therefore creating a circle around the enity were the meteors will strike. You'll see the green sphere again that shows you the zone graphically.

--> Shoot Angle - This Set of Variables determine the Angle that the meteors will have. The arrow determines the flight direction, so normally it should point down.

--> Spawn Flags - The various Flags determine if the entity is present in the several difficulty levels and game types.

--> Speed - The more the faster!

Path : You will find the Time Controller class in "classes\MeteorShower.ecl"

PS: Thanx @ Serious Haba for pointing out a "bug" in this post!

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 02-09-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2002, 08:39 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

You'll find an updated Virtual tree File containing the Time Controller and the Meteor Shower right here.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:36 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Lost out there!

OK here is a simple one, covered many times I'm sure but here goes.

How to make a working Switch:-

Basic knowledge of editor required.

Not going to detail the creation of actual geometry but here goes.

You have a room with a door leading to another room/corridor and you
want a switch to control the opening/closing of the door.

First lets create a simple rectangle that will be the switch:

Create a new conus primitive with dimensions set to w=2, l=2, h=1. make sure the
room flag is unchecked(off) and add it into a seperate layer with key L.

Next create a second conus primitive of the same dimensions but check the room
flag(on). Position it where you want the switch to be in your level but sink it halfway
into the wall and add it to the rooms worldbase. This is the slot that the switch will sink into. By cutting a hole for the moving brush you avoid the brush vanishing from view as it moves into the wall.

Drag in a moving brush entity and position it near or I prefer in the first conus
primitive you created. Add the primitive to the Moving brush entity. Give the Brush
a name that will help you find it later, I'm going to use "MB_firstdoor_switch".

Press D once you have positioned the switch in its hole. This drops a
marker that indicates a move to point for the moving brush. Change the
speed of the marker to something like 3 and set the stop moving flag.

Now move the switch to its pressed position and drop another marker with D,
and set the speed of the marker to 3, then check the stop moving flag.

Make sure you put the switch back into its start position with the test
buttons.

Next drag a trigger and a switch entity onto the map and again position
them near the moving brush that is your switch. This is so you can
locate them easier if your map grows to large proportions. It also
helps with the switch entity if you want to display a message when you
get close to the moving brush that is your switch ingame.

Give the trigger a name I'll use "Trig_firstdoor", and name the switch
my choice is "SW_firstdoor".

Select the switch entity(SW_firstdoor) and set the ON/OFF Target to the
trigger(Trig_firstdoor). If you want the switch to only work a single
time change the type option to once.

Next select the trigger(Trig_firstdoor) and set its first target to the
doors moving brush. Set the triggers second target to the moving brush
that is your switch(MB_firstdoor_switch).

Now return to your moving brush that is your switch and set its switch
option to the name of your switch entity(SW_firstdoor).

To change the message that pops up when you walk near the switch
entity(SW_firstdoor) simply select the entity and change the message
under its options. If you dont want the switch entity to be visible in
game set its invisible option. It does not effect the moving
brush(MB_firstdoor_switch), this will remain visible.

If you go and test your level it should now work.

Last edited by Nifran Tay; 02-08-2002 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:14 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ Nifran Tay :

Welcome on board. Thanx for the tutorial.
However i have to add some constructive criticsm. Your tutorial style is giving me a headache, it's hard to read with those emtpy lines and no significant brakes. A bit of reformatting would do wonders, i suppose.

EDIT : Thanx for reformatting the tutorial.

Last edited by DarkSpotInTheCorner; 02-17-2002 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Max
Werebull

Default How to REALLY manipulate a brush

This is turning out to have GREAT value since I discovered it yesterday, so I wanted to get it in here. I copied this from my other post, but that is not getting a lot of attention, and I wanted to make sure that those who have the experience to see the awesome power of this, get a chance to. Hope you all don't mind the repeat. And if you do, please go find better things to be mad at.

I just tried something with favorable results! When I get the hang of it I will write a formal tutorial page unless someone else wants to.

THIS IS FOR MAPPERS WHO KNOW HOW MODEL. The rest of you.... Modeling is easy!!! Try it.

How to REALLY maipulate those CSG's. or WHO NEEDS CSG's

Using Milkshape and SS Editor you can really do whatever you want to create or shape existing entities (sectors).

I wanted to make a circle have a tapered even top to it. you should be able to use this method to add or subtract vertexes or faces, really sculpt your entities etc.

Here are the steps I used:

1. Make a new csg in shape of circle (or whatever) or select existing entity
2. goto entity mode
3. copy entity
4. create new world
5. paste into new world
6. uncheck zoning and anchored
7. center entity
8. go to poly mode
9. select all your polys
10. Choose export 3d object from menu

11. go into milkshape (or whatever model program you use)
12. Choose import raw
13. Manipulate away! (in my case I scaled the top of the cylinder down)
Don't worry about seemingly missing polys
14. export as a lightwave object

15. back to your level (world)
16. from the menu choose IMPORT 3D OBJECT
17. choose you .lwo file
18. uncheck zoning and anchored

19. Join all possible polys, and re-optimize brush.

20. This will come in as a new world so you will need to copy it back to yours. (uncheck zoning and anchored after you bring it back into your world).

If I didn't miss any steps that's it.

Seems to have real value if you are a detail nut, or to fix broken poly probs maybe etc.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Here is a pic of my simple test. (took about 25 seconds)

http://www.mybfc.com/shapetest.jpg

Last edited by Max; 02-08-2002 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:51 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ Max :

Welcome in the thread of ultimage knowledge
Nice tutorial. Thank you for adding content to this thread!
Old 02-08-2002, 12:25 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Max
Werebull

Glad I finally discovered worth while.

Thanks for the kind welcome, and great thread idea!!
Old 02-09-2002, 06:13 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
aka Cable Muskrat

Now this is a good thread. This should be sticky!

DarkSpotInTheCorner, you might want to fix one thing in the meteor shower tutorial:
The event type have to be START ENVIRONMENT EVENT. It won't work otherwise.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:55 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ Serious Haba :

Omg, you are right! Thanx a lot... i'll change it asap!

Stupid me, got mixed up again...
Old 02-11-2002, 12:57 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  

How do you make things shake? Like, earthwuake type things...but like short bursts, things like you would find in the lava areas of some levels in SE.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:14 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Perhaps the EffectsMarker...... I haven't figured out how to use it.
Old 02-11-2002, 08:56 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@ Viper45 :

Hmm.. good question, i haven't tried that yet, but i'll toy around with it a little bit and when i get a grip on it i'll publish an entity tutorial here...