Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #181   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Re: SS4 new enemy ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Okay. Also regenerating health. And some immortal friendly NPCs with 100% accuracy. Yes, this way the game will be much more playable and fun.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/b3/0f/13b30f862cba4dbbb8c05ccb12595eaf.jpg
Old 12-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #182   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Yeah, not really seeing here how cover based crappy shooter elements are related to not having a cheap shitty enemy in Serious Sam. I like the idea of the Witch Bride flinging stuff around, reminds me of the Poltergeists of STALKER. It all seems fun until you get a sudden case of boulderfacesmash.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #183   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Yeah i like the idea of those electrical manifest things floating around in Stalker that'll be cool and freaky..
Old 05-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #184   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Currently, I'm trying to think of new collective behavior enemies. Here's one of the ideas.

I was thinking about how ants move in the line and came up this.

https://i.sli.mg/TxcK8l.png

The red dots represent individual enemies. The group behaves as one and there are, trying to follow the line and there are following properties for the group.

1. Aside from pathing that can be set like for other enemies, the group moves as one, trying to follow one another.
2. The group has a turning radius. When sidestepping the first enemies, the following take some time to turn around and face the player again.
3. When there's a large gap made in a line, then the groups split. (You could also make groups split in pre-designated spots when using editor).
4. When the line of enemies crosses the "tail" of its group or other groups in a sharp angle, they jump over the tail.
5. When the line of enemies crosses the "tail" of its group or other groups in an oblique angle, the groups join and the "line" widens so rest of the enemies could fit.
6. When there are less than 5 enemies left from the group, it breaks down. When there are other groups nearby, the remaining ones try to join those groups.
7. The enemies can climb walls and jump over small gaps in order to get the player.

Since there are lots of enemies, I was thinking that they could be marsh-hopper sized enemies. Maybe a larger variation of these enemies as well.

The whole group rushing towards you would make a fearsome sight when implemented properly.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #185   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

You're taking this shit pretty seriously. I think it could be a good idea if the player has a flamethrower or at least a minigun. I was about to say a chainsaw as well but that would render it pointless.

I or someone else may have already expressed this idea but what about commander enemies? It is a variant of existing enemies, for example a commander rocketeer, and it gives buffs to it's troops and is much harder to kill than the other members of the class of enemies it belongs to.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #186   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Oh...that's something I was thinking about as well. I think I might even have posted an enemy like this somewhere in the ideas.

Also, would a flying variation of this line formation enemy also work?

Last edited by Artman40; 05-12-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:46 PM   #187   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Thinking about animal movements.. Artman40 brings up marsh-hoppers... I think those were interesting in that they didn't walk.. they hopped. So it was much less of aiming at them and adjusting left and right.. you had to look up and down quite a lot more to track their movements, unless you were just spamming splash damage weapons. I think that's pretty interesting... I think most enemies in Sam pretty much just walk in a straight line and you follow that. Those SS3 column demons (I forget the name already) hopped in a much similar way.. and that really does add a lot to the combat.

A question I can't answer off the top of my head... do any enemies in ANY of the games attack AND strafe at the same time? I know the scorpions walked sideways didn't they? (walking like a crab), but I don't think they ever move while firing. I think that could be more interesting. I know many enemies run at you while attacking, but that's very different in that you just run backwards and fire and you beat them. Enemies moving while firing could put you in a situation where just sitting behind cover is bad, as their re-positioning will eventually find and uncover you. I guess the helicopters do this? Regardless I think that's typical of ariel enemies... I'm speaking more of ground enemies.

Another idea would be more like.. taking the idea of the cave demons... what if there was a similar enemy that would hide from you, occasionally peeking or being seen... and when you get close they jump your ass? I imagine a jungle area where the map boundaries are impassable trees/vines/brush and eyes peak at you.. you can't damage them or anything.. and if you get too close they jump out and attack you. Maybe they can run out, across the map into a better jungle vantage point or something, and that's when you see them. I'm not exactly sure if a jungle theme fits in with the environments they're planning for SS4 though... just a concept of a type of enemy/threat.... (I actually think a modified cave demon would work.. if they could crawl along the ground, and have dark hidey-holes.)

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 05-12-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #188   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Actually, I was thinking of them not acting like marsh hoppers, them jumping only for navigational purposes.

Oh...Serious Sam 3 had enemies that attack and strafe. Examples include that blasted technopolip.

By the way, there are some of the enemy ideas, one or two which involve you having to get closer to enemy. I bet.

By the way, do you know a game called Ziggurat? Will some of the enemies fit well into the game when it comes to adding a variety of behaviour?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:51 AM   #189   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Another enemy behavior idea. This works best for small or mid-sized enemies.

Basically here's a type of enemy who extends its height when being behind another enemy or obstacle in order to have a clear line of fire at you.

https://i.sli.mg/kCPgV7.png

Sort of like this. I wonder how first-person view would look on when facing these kinds of enemies in phalanx formation.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:06 AM   #190   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Like a dinosaur with a giant neck or something, or a dragon, or giant snake that can be a type of enemy..
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #191   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Or a slime, like in Quake.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #192   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Or maybe just legs or body? Depends if they use their head or other body part to fire.

Last edited by Artman40; 05-16-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #193   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Kukulkan grows with the damage taken.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #194   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Could these enemies also be used as platforms for other enemies?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #195   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Or the enemy grows depending how far it is from the player and how many enemies are in front of it and/or is blocking it's projectile.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM   #196   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Growing would fit the Lava Golem really well, like small golems go back to their host or combine with other ones to become more dangerous
Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #197   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Probably, if you leave the lava gloem alive for a period of time .. Maybe like 10 or so seconds, and lower in higher difficulties..
Old 10-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #198   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Hmm...I think I can design floater enemies to not only be less annoying but more interesting.

Also, seeing a large swarm of floater enemies coming out from behind wall can be a fearsome sight.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #199   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
Hmm...I think I can design floater enemies to not only be less annoying but more interesting.

Also, seeing a large swarm of floater enemies coming out from behind wall can be a fearsome sight.
http://serioussam.wikia.com/wiki/Martial_Arts_Master
Old 10-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #200   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I see. But I was thinking of making the behavior of floaters a bit as so.

1. At the distance, they behave like harpies, move straight towards you, stop and shoot, then repeat the cycle.
2. However, when they get too close, they try to move away instead after shooting.

(that display of movement would look interesting in side view where there are a lot of them).

However, let's add two new enemies to make things interesting.

FLOAT COORDINATOR

At first it looks like bigger floater with more health and a bit heavier attacks but its unique behaviour emerges when regular floaters are nearby.

Unique behavior: When a floater enters within certain radius of a Float co-ordinator, its behavior changes. Rather than firing at the direction of the player, it fires in the same direction as the float coordinator is facing at.

While the angle difference might be small (especially at longer distances), in practice it means that instead of all the attacks by float coordinator-affected floaters being aimed straight at the player, they become spread out, making it less straightforward to dodge all of them.

When there are multiple float co-ordinators, each floater will choose the co-ordinator closes to it as its co-ordinator.

Optional behaviours: Having an option to make it so that all the floaters fire simultaneously with the co-ordinator.

Next enemy would be another flying one that affects floaters:

Couldn't come up with a name so let's call it:
MEDIUM-HEAVY FLYING ENEMY ("MHFE")

MHFE is flying enemy that moves rather slowly (slightly slower than a biomech in SS1) towards the player until a certain distance. It takes 3 rockets to kill it and has a slow but rather powerful projectile attack. However it has a special attribute.

Unique behavior: MHFE has 6 (or similar number) wires hanging from it. Whenever there is a floater nearby, it flies to MHFE and attaches itself to it via one of the wires. While attached floaters lose their mobility (can only move at the distance that's determined by length of the wire), it becomes supercharged. Supercharged floaters fire twice as fast.

When MHFE dies, all its floaters become detached and return to their normal behaviour.

What to do though when there is both float coordinator and MHFE nearby. Should floaters only pick one behaviour (shoot with coordinator or attach themselves to MHFE) or both? Or make it selectable from monster properties.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #201   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Here is something I imagined: Minotaur Combatants. Basically, they are modified by Mental and are given maybe two rocket launchers a la Zumb'uls
Old 11-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #202   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

How fast would the rockets be? Something for cramped spaces or wide open spaces?
Old 11-04-2016, 03:28 AM   #203   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

That depends. Slow rockets itself aren't bad, but if you're supposed to fight two Technopolips with a rocket launcher and an infinite rocket box you better make sure the weapon is at least a bit effective.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #204   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

We need hitscan kamikazes.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #205   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

They are already hitscan in a way.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #206   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Lol, you're right. Never thought that way.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:35 PM   #207   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Hitscan kamikazes and well, thats probably the end of the players life pretty quick but interesting idea
Old 11-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #208   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Just make a kamikaze launcher and get it over with .
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #209   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

YouTube Video: divinewind.mp4
Old 11-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #210   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

That doesn't really launch them. It just spawns them. Not the same. You don't get to see them flying through the air at high speed or that doppler effect when they fly past you as you dodge them.