Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #961   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Re: Devostator's Showcase

I don't know if this is the right thread for this but I just played through Realm of Despair and it was INCREDIBLE!! I can't believe the things that you guys are pulling off. I was really impressed with Ryason's QTF this past weekend, which is the first Sam mod that I've played, but I was also blown away by this.

The atmosphere was simply amazing. One only needs to look at the screenshots on the Steam workshop and it will become immediately obvious how awesome this mod will be once you start playing. This is classic Sam with the open areas, barely any cover, and lots of enemies. I don't understand how you managed to make bosses 2 and 3 but I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The finale was amazing. I loved the floating islands in the background and the enemies and bosses meshed so well with the overall atmosphere. Honestly the only thing that would've made this better is if John J. Dick voiced the dialogue. This should've been released as actual DLC by Croteam. Can't wait to try your other mods, keep up the amazing work.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 PM   #962   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

Realm of Despair was nice, but it could of been a lot better if there was the penis statue
Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #963   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

At least yours would fit in the map. Mine would overload the game and probably freeze the computer.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #964   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

true
Old 08-17-2016, 04:24 AM   #965   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Mine would probably give your computer some venereal disease or two... unless you're running Linux, that shit's protected.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #966   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus View Post
At least yours would fit in the map. Mine would overload the game and probably freeze the computer.
I upgraded my computer a few months ago so it probably won't freeze. It might on the laptop though. It might explode. Who knows ...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #967   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

Your PC will get aids from mine
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #968   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Thanks Poorchop for playing my map, it was fun to create it in these 2 months in 2015, the version you played is an updated version though which spared you from some pain others had and it has a proper ending compared to the first one.

Anyway, I kinda found a weird way to achieve cubemaps for fast lights!

All you need is an external map with a simple cube, a probe light, an omni light for the shadows, the model for the shadow.

It should look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/sh0jKqEh.jpg

For the cube make sure to copy these illumination color settings, thats all really:
http://i.imgur.com/aMwA3sPh.jpg

The Probe lights area should be exactly the size of the cube:
http://i.imgur.com/H8QdPUjh.png

Also, make sure to tick these 2 so your model is not visible in the cube map and stays black, you can untick those once done:
http://i.imgur.com/e8nu9NMh.jpg

Bake the Probe Light with Shift+B when you are satisfied with the shadows and then mark this place I marked and press Ctrl+C:
http://i.imgur.com/J3e1Y8Hh.png

Once copied, go to your fast light settings and paste it with Ctrl+V into the marked Projector texture. The result should be this:
http://i.imgur.com/f0z0j3ph.jpg

Now your fast light has a cubemap like in the official maps from Croteam. Now if you want you can save the texture to not lose it.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #969   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

noted, thanks Devo!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #970   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

That looks neat and I already like those floating, glowing objects around the lamps. Playing through these beautiful mods and seeing some tutorials like this almost makes me want to jump into modding but then I remember that I'm an old fart and I don't have a modicum of creativity in me. I'll leave it up to you pros to keep creating amazing content.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #971   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
That looks neat and I already like those floating, glowing objects around the lamps. Playing through these beautiful mods and seeing some tutorials like this almost makes me want to jump into modding but then I remember that I'm an old fart and I don't have a modicum of creativity in me. I'll leave it up to you pros to keep creating amazing content.
If you want you can try the map, it's pretty old by now, I just used it as an example as this was the first map where I wanted to do that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=310410581
Old 08-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #972   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

The gameplay is being worked on right now:
http://i.imgur.com/ZTdobUZh.jpg
Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 PM   #973   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

What's harder: making the level look great, or making the level fun?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:57 PM   #974   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
He nailed both in Realm of Despair.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:58 PM   #975   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Nice man.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:53 PM   #976   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
The latter.

Making a level look great is easy when you have the skill for that.

Making gameplay fun is hard because you have to change, test, adjust and think about the difficulty all at the same time while designing those. You also have to keep the ammo and health pickups in mind. Also what kind of enemies fit to what area and what situation. That's definitely harder.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #977   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Nice cave so far and balance of enemies not too much but great by far! Though the balance of enemies depends on how many weapons you got, average armour you should have, health, etc...
Old 08-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #978   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devostator View Post
The latter.

Making gameplay fun is hard because you have to change, test, adjust and think about the difficulty all at the same time while designing those. You also have to keep the ammo and health pickups in mind. Also what kind of enemies fit to what area and what situation. That's definitely harder.
I'd say the ammo and health pickups is definitely the hardest thing to get right, because it's different for every player
Old 08-18-2016, 04:01 PM   #979   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko J View Post
I'd say the ammo and health pickups is definitely the hardest thing to get right, because it's different for every player
It seems like it would require a lot of test runs to get that right but weapon placement seems to be more straightforward. One can just look at the main game to see how Croteam gets it right. Your first gun is the pistol and the enemies at that point are usually limited to Rocketeers, Kamikazes, and Gnaars. Introduce Harpies and give the player a Tommy gun/assault rifle or sniper. Give explosives for Biomechanoids and other large enemies. Then when it's time to get serious, put the machine gun in the player's path.

I guess you can also predict the weapons that players are likely to use for each scenario and then place the appropriate ammo accordingly. Later on, it doesn't matter as much and even Croteam starts throwing a hodgepodge of different ammo at the player at some point.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:16 PM   #980   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

What I started doing is I'd invite friends to test each level and then I write down the parts that were the most hard for them and that is where I put additional resources
Old 08-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #981   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devostator View Post
The latter.

For me, I just throw enough ammo and Health and Armor for you to get by but by the time you get all guns I'd throw all sorts of things to keep you on your toes.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #982   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Yeah they are typically hard things to place. I'd normally stick in health vials in off battle areas around corners or something, but yeah just enough to get by (on normal difficulty, etc...). I generally only cater for easy and normal difficulties in my mods so im not sure in terms of balancing these items. But don't put a scarce amount of ammo in though...
Old 08-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #983   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Level design is a complex process. Generally speaking, though, if you use a top-down approach (plan most important things first) then you should save yourself a lot of grief later.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 AM   #984   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Yeah i should use it that way actually. I'd like to actually get better at level designing even though i have been using SED like when i was a child and ever since I enjoyed making levels (being doing so for over 10 years now..). And that is actually a great idea as well to use.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:43 AM   #985   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

A map is made up of a series of objectives: weapons, enemies, keys, puzzles, etc. So figure out the order you want them in, then the major architecture in simplified form, then do some test plays to see if you can visualize how you want it to play and what you need to do to get it there.

Step by step is the way to go. Most mappers start off with making them room by room. Top-down is leveling up.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #986   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Ah alright I usually do it room-by-room (I do most elements in every room I go by) or doing a prototype version of the level, then slowly detail later on...
Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #987   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Look at Maska. He details last. It is more efficient that way. Especially if you consider that you might change your mind along the way.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #988   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I use to detail everything when I was younger (which meant each room complete = completely complete) even if it was scrap. But that was one of my way older levels... Now I do a bit of detail / level prototyping. And also after playing on alphas and betas of other games, I followed their way like a severely under-detailed version (but similar) of the current. But i am getting better at mapping in general. I also tended to stuff at least 10-20 enemies in one room before. Tested it and was fine on normal and easy. But very difficult on higher difficulties..
Old 08-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #989   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Nice. But why don't you start a new thread on this so that Devostator can have his back?
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #990   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I use to detail everything when I was younger (which meant each room complete = completely complete) even if it was scrap. But that was one of my way older levels... Now I do a bit of detail / level prototyping. And also after playing on alphas and betas of other games, I followed their way like a severely under-detailed version (but similar) of the current. But i am getting better at mapping in general. I also tended to stuff at least 10-20 enemies in one room before. Tested it and was fine on normal and easy. But very difficult on higher difficulties..
back when I was younger, I did the opposite, I simply make very boring rooms and focused more on the enemy encounters.

Also, wasn't aware you made levels, I'm guessing your another "unreleased" type of author?