Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

Default Another life in another planets

I'd like to ask you, do you believe in another living forms (intelligent)?
And do you believe, can we colonize planets?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:43 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Re: Another life in another planets

it's impossible for there not to be other intelligent species elsewhere in the universe-- however, the likelihood of us ever contacting them is very, very low.

colonizing certain planets and similar objects is entirely possible and there are many different plans on how to do so. right now the most targeted things are our moon, mars, ceres, other moons of various planets, and even venus iirc
Old 07-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Other life forms - no idea, it'd be pretty cool if there were though.
Colonization - I think it's a good idea as it would spare Earth's resources and nature. When there's more and more humans, we've got to spread out eventually. However I don't think that's happening within my lifetime, technology will still have to advance a lot for us to be able to do that. And right now most countries are more interested in something else than dedicating all their funds to a space program.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Well, we do have a proof. It's even here on this forums:
Gnaarwarian

The subject in question is for sure of alien origins, judging the way he talks. It is a life form, not sure of the intelligence, but it is life form for sure...of some sort anyway.

Just joking, don't kill me.

Well, eh i dunno. I know there are so many planets and all that stuff, but dunno, i'm not sure that possibility is all that high. Like, when you take a look at all the process and things that had to happen JUST the right way, and there were millions and billions of those...i have a little doubt that if we removed all the life here on earth...i'm not really sure if life would begin again.

With intelligence, it's even more so. For intelligent life to develop, it took a ton of things....if temperatures were a little different, if dinosaurs were still here, etc etc etc, who knows if intelligence would ever appear on this planet on a level of humans.

I'm keeping my mind opened, so there is possibility for sure, and if there is any, i have a feeling it will be so unlike any other lifeform here, that we might not even take it as life form....

And colonization...well to be honest, i doubt it. I'd love to, but i have my doubts.

No matter how advance our tech is, it would be insanely expensive project, it would probably require a whole world to work together towards that goal.

It would also require a lot of patience, since i guess it would take at the very least several centuries to achieve that. Again, i just don't see anyone willing to commit to project over such a time span , and such crazy amount of cash.

So for colonization, i think human race will have to to a ton of growing up, before we can actually do this, and i don't mean because of technical limitations.

I think even we were forced to do it, we would probably sooner kill each other for the rest few resources before we would ever start the plan seriously.

Still, i hope people will change in future towards that goal, but dunno, i'm a little pessimistic about it . But i hope i'm proven wrong in future.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

I believe in the Rare Earth theory. Life takes a long time to form, and intelligent life isn't something that pops up every few billion years or so.

In fact, our planet may be the first planet in the universe to support life bigger than microorganisms. Going by that, we may as well be the first intelligent species ever. Sure, there are a lot of ignorant people out here, but they are still counted as intelligent life forms.

While there are certainly Earth-like planets out there, I doubt their climates are perfect enough to even have alien dinosaurs.

On the other hand, I'm really interested in Gnaarwarian. Just, what is he? Is he like this on purpose for fun, or is he really like this? He may talk in a weird manner, but it is no doubt that he is actually quite intelligent than most of us here and may be hiding it for some reason. Kinda like a smart foreigner who is fluent in his own language, but talks like a stereotype in other languages such as English. Gnaar, if you're reading this, please tell us more about yourself.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

I would maybe add just one thing. I think people have it a little wrong when they think about intelligence.

I mean, it's not some ultimate goal, nor is it the perfect way to survive. It's just one of billions and billions of way to evolve. We got it, but dinos were just fine without it (so to speak). And if they were still alive up to this day, maybe we would be still hiidng in caves, who knows.

Just saying it's not some ultimate path towards which living being should go in order to survive. So i don't expect it to be that common, nor is it anything special in that regard.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
I would maybe add just one thing. I think people have it a little wrong when they think about intelligence.

I mean, it's not some ultimate goal, nor is it the perfect way to survive. It's just one of billions and billions of way to evolve. We got it, but dinos were just fine without it (so to speak). And if they were still alive up to this day, maybe we would be still hiidng in caves, who knows.

Just saying it's not some ultimate path towards which living being should go in order to survive. So i don't expect it to be that common, nor is it anything special in that regard.
Intelligence is kinda important though, because it allows for more ways to survive. I'm not sure how humans achieved intelligence, but it is probably through mastering the simple aspects of life at the time, such as recognizing traps, reproduction, and then passing on the knowledge to their successors so that they won't fall for the same thing. Rinse and repeat, and each successors will be more smarter than the last. That, I think, is how we go from stupid monkeys to master baiters.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Yeah it is important for sure, but there are other evolutionary paths that would just destroy us. If some kind of disaster would happen all of sudden, i still think insects and a like would have bigger chance to survive then us, humans, with all intelligence and technology.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
Yeah it is important for sure, but there are other evolutionary paths that would just destroy us. If some kind of disaster would happen all of sudden, i still think insects and a like would have bigger chance to survive then us, humans, with all intelligence and technology.
Well, life is not without drawbacks. Cockroaches would survive under a nuclear atmosphere, but if that happens, then cockroaches will be the dominant species of Earth because not many things can live and grow under that kind of condition.

When we say survival, we don't mean survive everything. If that's the case, we have no use for diver suit, space suit, hazmat suit, and wedding suits. We, humans, are made to thrive on land. Therefore, our species' evolutionary path only lets us survive under the condition we can. No extreme temperatures and that kind of thing. Just your regular oxygen with 4 seasons. Intelligence only allow us to make ourselves more comfortable within our surviving zone and lets us briefly explore our uninhabitable regions of the world too. Anything more and we're dead, because we're not meant to survive in that kind of places.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Other life forms - no idea, it'd be pretty cool if there were though.
Colonization - I think it's a good idea as it would spare Earth's resources and nature. When there's more and more humans, we've got to spread out eventually. However I don't think that's happening within my lifetime, technology will still have to advance a lot for us to be able to do that. And right now most countries are more interested in something else than dedicating all their funds to a space program.
I am not sure if overpopulation will ever be a big problem. Most European nations are dying out, the same is happening in Japan, and China has a serious lack of women because of the "one child" policy. The only problems are India and Africa.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:20 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

I'm not sure but i heard Netherland's governmemt was declarating in 2020 will send some volunteers on Mars.

With aliens www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_alien -> as you see if they are realistic we could think about coming.

Lots of S.F. films aliens are very similar to humans. Maybe go in this direction??
Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I am not sure if overpopulation will ever be a big problem. Most European nations are dying out, the same is happening in Japan, and China has a serious lack of women because of the "one child" policy. The only problems are India and Africa.
Huh, and here I thought there were more and more humans in the world every year.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

microorganic life is likely to be quite common in the universe, the problem is that everything is so far apart (at least from our point of view) which makes it hard for us to actually be able to find anything else. monosaccharides (simple sugars) have been detected in the oort cloud and within a few distant star systems before, which is quite obviously excellent for life (at least, most terran life)

on intelligence: many people seem to forget that humans are not the only sapient organisms on this planet. cetaceans, corvids, etc. are examples of other animals that are at or near the same general level of intelligence as humans (reminder: sentience is not the same as sapience; sentience is the ability to experience pleasure and pain, which a very large percentage of animal life exhibits, while sapience includes the ability to judge different actions and reason or imagine)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:28 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Huh, and here I thought there were more and more humans in the world every year.
That is the current trend, but mostly because of the third world countries. If India and African countries get more "modernized" fertility rates there could significantly drop. 100 years ago where I live having 5-7 children was normal, now people buy dogs instead of having kids.

Look at Russia, it is estimated that they will lose 20-30 million people in next 50 years because of low fertility and high number of abortions. There are a lot of factors why this is happening, but you probably heard it all in geography class.

I would say in a hundred or so years the Earth population should start to decline, if not sooner.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

While it is a fact that humans are not the only creatures on Earth that has intelligence, it is also a fact that humans have the highest intelligence among all. Intelligence that allows us to explore regions we previously couldn't survive in. Other animals, while exhibiting intelligence and emotion, are only on a very small, limited scale.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1979605_705603076170013_4168708640840517069_n.jpg
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
While it is a fact that humans are not the only creatures on Earth that has intelligence, it is also a fact that humans have the highest intelligence among all. Intelligence that allows us to explore regions we previously couldn't survive in. Other animals, while exhibiting intelligence and emotion, are only on a very small, limited scale.
there are plenty of creatures with intelligence at or around the same level as our own, that have languages with multiple dialects, can recognize themselves in mirrors, can evaluate and solve problems, et cetera. our difference, though, is that we have hands with opposable thumbs and can quite easily manipulate objects to build complex things. arguably, however, many of the other intelligent species don't even need this ability. what would a dolphin even need? what about ravens?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

i'm talking about building things. let me rephrase: what would a dolphin need to build? what would a raven?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
JETROID!!

Rocketpacks.

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.