Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 02:37 PM   #181   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Do you think Serious Sam is missing something?

Actually, I liked the idea of the Sirian Darklord, the controls just weren't good enough to deal with him.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #182   Add To Ignore List  
Notorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
No. Why you need them in a Old School Shooter like SS?
It's still gonna be oldschool shooter but with custumizable weapons. It was still oldschool when they added aiming down the sights and sprinting, now you just choose different sights
Old 06-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #183   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Even "old school shooters" need to innovate and try new things as long as the core "feel" is intact. If you stay in the past you have Dynasty Warriors and people quickly lose interest.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #184   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It's really not even innovation or doing things other games do. Just doing random cool new things every game, so it's always different. Maybe in one game you have a weapon upgrade system. Maybe in another, you can assign elemental types to weapons or even combining two elements to form a new element and add it to your cannon, so you shoot molten cannonballs or something. Maybe in another game, you have "Achievement Perks" like in Wolfenstein: TNO. And then maybe after all this, you have a game that just doesn't have any of that; because not having anything special is what will be special.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #185   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

SS2 tries to add new stuff to the series and is now non-canon.

So it was Croteam which makes a Step back from innovation and risks.

Seems so to me.

Also i still doubt that Prequels are wanted innovation from Artists, i think Prequels are a idea from Producers/Marketing guys.

Flashbacks comes from creative guys.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #186   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

SS2 had more problems than adding new stuff. Many stuff it added wasn't actually that bad at all, just not well executed. Nor it is non-canon because of the new stuff added.

And nope. CT is making the prequels because they want to do them. There are no "proper" producers at CT, and the marketing guy is Damjan, so yeah. Nor they have a publisher that tells them to do that. SS3 was planned as a prequel since its very inception two months after SS2 was released.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #187   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I could say Gnaar enjoys living in the past but that would be understating things.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:35 AM   #188   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
SS3 was planned as a prequel since its very inception two months after SS2 was released.
We definitely need a full history log of the development process. From "In the flesh" to Serious Sam 4 or even further. What actually happened with CroTeam after the release of SS2? I remember in may 2007 they announced Serious Engine 3 and the military shooter, which never happened, then there was 2 years of silence (without three days) and in may 2009 they announced Serious Sam HD: TFE.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:33 AM   #189   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
I could say Gnaar enjoys living in the past but that would be understating things.
Bullshit. You have no proofs for that!

And i do not have written in this thread such things.

So STOP lay me things into my Mouth which i have not written.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #190   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Terepin is offline Send a message via ICQ to Terepin Send a message via MSN to Terepin

Diverse level design within levels and a lot better atmosphere. That'd require dynamic skyboxes and dynamic weather with appropriate effects. They showed glimpse of that in TTP but it require a lot more. Just look at Japanese Massacre level in Painkiller Overdose. And that's game from 2007 with engine from 2004!
Old 06-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #191   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Overdose had some good levels in terms of design, but the game was terrible.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #192   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Terepin is offline Send a message via ICQ to Terepin Send a message via MSN to Terepin

Oh God. Leave the discussion about games out of the house. I'm not interested, nor willing to engage in one.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #193   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

On the question of weapon upgrades and alternative fire modes, I think the double barrel shotgun can have something like a hook that can pull distant enemies towards you, in that way making it easier to fill them full of pellets.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #194   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Now that is one unique idea!

Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #195   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Of Gaming View Post
On the question of weapon upgrades and alternative fire modes,
I'd much rather have alternate fire on weapons than upgrades. If you want upgrades, you can make the alternate fire modes a story-driven upgrade that unlocks once a weapon starts becoming too weak for the onslaught of enemies.

Right now we have no use for the right mouse button at all. It's a shame, given that it just sits there waiting to be used. And with the right combination of primary and alternate fire, you could make some really interesting weapons. Games like UT show that it can be a very powerful mechanic, that requires skill to use effectively.

Also, I like the idea of pulling things towards you to blow them to bits. Though it would only work for weaker enemies, given the damage that the double shotty does.

Other games with charging / power strikes that you can use a limited amount of times and that slowly charge with time/kills.

Others again, use overheating mechanics for some or all weapons, so you can't just spam them to infinity. Reloading can be regarded as such a mechanic, as you have to time your reload to when you have the breathing room in a fight to stop shooting for the duration of the reload. Personally, I think the addition of reloading in SS3 made it harder and thus more skillful to use the shotty and the AR. It didn't change the difficulty in any significant way, but one could see people get overwhelmed quite often cause they forgot to keep track of their reloads.

Weapon upgrades is a mechanic that can be combined with most of the other mechanics, allowing the player to tune a weapon to a certain playstyle (e.g. low RoF, high damage per shot).

There are plenty of mechanics one can play with to make it more tactical how you use your weapons and to ensure that most weapons remain relevant throughout the game. It's the thought put into the implementation and the balancing that usually decides whether it's successful or not.

Edit:
On a completely different topic, I've said this before, but I'd like to see Netty be used more actively within the game. She was used more in SS3, displaying information in the HUD on the go. I'd like to see more of that. She's a brain implant for combat analysis, shouldn't she be giving hints about things like weapon resistance/vulnerability and whatnot on the go? i.e. if you're using a weapon that the enemy is resistant to, shouldn't she chime in and say so? Or warn you if you're running low on ammo. Or about particularly dangerous enemies. Or if Croteam ever implement something that allows you to use the environment to channel enemies by knocking down things or springing traps (trap springing was actually used in SE in an instance or two), she could tell the player. All these things could be done on the HUD or through sound. E.g. after a fight where new enemies appear, she could give you a rundown of those enemies in that silent period after the fight. There are really so many options for how she can be used.

Last edited by jasser; 06-06-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #196   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasser View Post
Edit:
On a completely different topic, I've said this before, but I'd like to see Netty be used more actively within the game. She was used more in SS3, displaying information in the HUD on the go. I'd like to see more of that. She's a brain implant for combat analysis, shouldn't she be giving hints about things like weapon resistance/vulnerability and whatnot on the go? i.e. if you're using a weapon that the enemy is resistant to, shouldn't she chime in and say so? Or warn you if you're running low on ammo. Or about particularly dangerous enemies. Or if Croteam ever implement something that allows you to use the environment to channel enemies by knocking down things or springing traps (trap springing was actually used in SE in an instance or two), she could tell the player. All these things could be done on the HUD or through sound. E.g. after a fight where new enemies appear, she could give you a rundown of those enemies in that silent period after the fight. There are really so many options for how she can be used.
OK, but leave the option to make her shut up
Old 06-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #197   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Right now we have no use for the right mouse button at all. It's a shame, given that it just sits there waiting to be used.
Most gaming mice have even more buttons, mine for example has 8, not counting the scroll wheel, so why not after the secondary fire mode we get a 3rd and maybe even 4th fire mode like some mods for Doom do
Old 06-07-2016, 01:33 AM   #198   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I think most people still use a mouse with 2 buttons. I know I do. Because it's cheap.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:17 AM   #199   Add To Ignore List  

3rd and 4th fire mode on a single weapon would be a stretch, but what they could do is a dedicated "throw" key for various types of grenades/mines or something else that you can throw at the enemies/place on the map. The grenade in SS2 was quite useful. Then you would have first + second fire mode + throw + use key for melee attacks. That should be more than enough, maybe even too much

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-07-2016 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #200   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Right now we have no use for the right mouse button at all.
I'm using it for jump. Thank you very much.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:24 AM   #201   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
I'd much rather have alternate fire on weapons than upgrades. If you want upgrades, you can make the alternate fire modes a story-driven upgrade that unlocks once a weapon starts becoming too weak for the onslaught of enemies.

Right now we have no use for the right mouse button at all. It's a shame, given that it just sits there waiting to be used. And with the right combination of primary and alternate fire, you could make some really interesting weapons. Games like UT show that it can be a very powerful mechanic, that requires skill to use effectively.

Also, I like the idea of pulling things towards you to blow them to bits. Though it would only work for weaker enemies, given the damage that the double shotty does.

Other games with charging / power strikes that you can use a limited amount of times and that slowly charge with time/kills.

Others again, use overheating mechanics for some or all weapons, so you can't just spam them to infinity. Reloading can be regarded as such a mechanic, as you have to time your reload to when you have the breathing room in a fight to stop shooting for the duration of the reload. Personally, I think the addition of reloading in SS3 made it harder and thus more skillful to use the shotty and the AR. It didn't change the difficulty in any significant way, but one could see people get overwhelmed quite often cause they forgot to keep track of their reloads.

Weapon upgrades is a mechanic that can be combined with most of the other mechanics, allowing the player to tune a weapon to a certain playstyle (e.g. low RoF, high damage per shot).

There are plenty of mechanics one can play with to make it more tactical how you use your weapons and to ensure that most weapons remain relevant throughout the game. It's the thought put into the implementation and the balancing that usually decides whether it's successful or not.

Edit:
I like where your head's at. However, I would really rather not do weapon upgrades. Just give more weapon options through acquired alt-fires or entirely new weapons or both.

My Charizard was banned in the Geneva Conventions.