Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

But the Earth already blew up so yeah. I doubt there'll be anymore Egypt. The one in SS3 was necessary since prequel.

Fatony, they won't fdo that ever. They want to sell copies of new games not going back to SS1 graphics, that no-one would buy. What you want would be most likely a DLC to SSHD. Just like how TFE became a DLC to TSE.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I would like to see SS2 environment with Serious Sam 3.5 Engine. It would be awesome, and probably a lot harder to make than Egypt!
JUST SKILL
Old 06-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

It would be a good idea to add enemies which have supportive roles by adding buffs to enemies or taking advantage of them in some other way.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I just wish it's something new and original, I'm tired of endless remakes already. Even SS3 feels like a remake of TFE since it's set in Egypt. We need new ideas and innovation, Croteam can't stick with the same concept forever however awesome it may sound to some hardcore fanboys who don't mind getting the exact same plate with minor changes over and over again.

Going back to more SS1/SS2 esque roots in terms of theme and art style would be awesome though imo, with much more humour and the return of wacky stuff like weird gravity, combo multiplier for more kills you make (NE/Xbox), maybe NPC buddies helping you out (that act as co op players which can be player controlled if the game is co-op), maybe go so far as to implement a Borderlands-style "join on the fly" system where the game can be turned into a co op game at any moment. Less seriousness and more arcade feel is what I'd like to see. Dual-wielding weapons and crazy powerups.

If the game's gonna be a parody it might as well go overboard. I always thought a real "serious-serious" Sam sounds boring, why attempt to be just a clone of Duke Nukem? That's why I think SS2 is awesome, it wasn't afraid to mess with the theme at all. Sam's character also stood out the most in SS2 and had the best lines in it imho. Screw gray-brown photorealism and generic cigar-smoking badass lines that have been heard a thousand times before.

Best version of Serious Sam 4 would be like the InSamnity 2 mod for SS2, no limits on enemy counts or invisible walls to restrict you or anything. Just pure rocketjumping madness with babies with miniguns in bizarre open alien environments. Upgrade the engine to support 10 000 enemies on screen at once. Hell just hire me on the spot, I'll build the best version of Serious Sam 4 possible. It'll be called SS4: The Acid Trip.

Last edited by Finzy; 06-11-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, I think the general consensus could be achieved if we'd say that SS4 should be like SS1 in terms of seriousness. Be it a little serious, but also humorous. Kinda like, dunno "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "Discworld". Both are on this thin line of being serious yet not at the same time. Even SS3 had some of this, with everything being too serious, except Sam knowing he is in a bad B-movie. It just was maybe a little too subtle, because most people didn't get the satire.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

If SS3 had any satire then it was bad anyways. Pretty much the only moment that made me cringe in the entire game was the line where he wondered why anything hadn't tried to kill him in minutes.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Case in point, that while you loved the wackiness of SS2, I did not (though there were exceptions), and others think the same as well. That's why there have to be a consensus, and that is found in SS1/SSHD.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Just a personal opinion, but I think there is a large majority that feels this way:

Serious Sam 2 - Too wacky
Serious Sam 3 - Too serious
SS:FE/SE - Just right

While I did love SS:BFE, I do think Croteam should go back to their roots for the next SS title.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

I don't think you understood my post, I meant they should return to their roots in regards to the blend of wacky and serious. In no way do I want just another SE/FE clone, though I know there are some here that want exactly that.

I just wanted the blend that was perfect in FE/SE. Everything in the games had a sense of realism while maintaining a touch of humor. All the levels were realistic environments, but then there were things like unrealistic gravity and outrageous secrets that broke up the serious style. Likewise, enemies were both menacing, while also being slightly comedic (headless kamikazes that scream). And to top it all off Sam Stone was one to never take himself and the hordes he faced seriously.

Serious Sam 2 felt like I was playing in toy environments with toy guns and toy enemies with how silly everything was. And then SS:BFE took itself too seriously and came across too much like a modern military shooter.

Like I've said, I love SS:BFE, and enjoy SS2 (only with the Insamnity mod ), but the perfection of style was in SE/FE. By all means, Croteam should be creative and take on new ideas for titles, but should try to avoid tampering with the formula of a game that is foundationally serious and realistic, but also doesn't take itself too seriously.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Mental4 is offline Send a message via MSN to Mental4

For serious sam 4, I want the real next episode of serious sam 2 With some SS2 ennemies and some news ennemies like the SS3 graphism. And I want to see the Equestria World to kill the ponies and the boss, Celestia

...It's just a funny idea !

My futures mappack:
- Mental4's deathmatch (and survival) mappack (SS3)
- Arachnophobia (SS2)
- Survival map pack (SSHD)
- The Great Adventure: Part 7 (SSSE or SSR)
- The Great Adventure 2 (SS2)
Old 06-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #41   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Quote:
I just wish it's something new and original, I'm tired of endless remakes already. Even SS3 feels like a remake of TFE since it's set in Egypt. We need new ideas and innovation, Croteam can't stick with the same concept forever however awesome it may sound to some hardcore fanboys who don't mind getting the exact same plate with minor changes over and over again.
I completely agree with what you said. Although, for Croteam's next title, I don't even want Serious Sam. I want to see something brand new and fresh out of Croteam's offices, not another Sam game. They need to give those a rest. Croteam can create some thing really interesting and new, if they wanted to.
So my vote is towards something something completely new, not even the same title...

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #42   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I think Croteam should used some SS1 beta maps and enemies, + new stuff. But, for me, Serious Sam = Egypt. Btw, Sam2 HD is supposed to be the next game. Croteam said that the gameplay will be totally different and a lot of stuff will changed. And PLZ Croteam, add the flamethrower in Sam2 HD. This my favorite weapon !
Old 06-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #43   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

While there have been many intriguing suggestions for "Serious Sam 4", I personally follow up on Solais's first post on this topic.

Plus, environmental weapon skins For the Win!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
I completely agree with what you said. Although, for Croteam's next title, I don't even want Serious Sam. I want to see something brand new and fresh out of Croteam's offices, not another Sam game. They need to give those a rest. Croteam can create some thing really interesting and new, if they wanted to.
So my vote is towards something something completely new, not even the same title...
You don't even want Serious Sam anymore ?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #45   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I dunno Mongo. This is an era where it is quite hard to create a successful new IP, unless they go very indie unique on it. But who knows if that would be feasible for them?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Football Glory HD! Go, go, go!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:56 AM   #47   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I think Sam or the Bosses should make special guest appearences in other games.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Croteam should put the Serious Engine 3.5 into work for a new game title, or at least encourage other Developer companies to use their engine (Possibly a Serious Engine 4?). The first Serious Engine was the only one that had third-party support with a few other titles.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #49   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

First they should update the engine to support multi-core threading and the like. The engine is good, but kinda not the best performance-wise on modern PCs.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #50   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

They should never do an MMO, that's for sure. It would be incredibly stupid. It's too many resources, too much money, too big of a competition.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #51   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

They should make a Serious Sam RTS game . The thought seemed ridiculous at first, but then the idea actually seemed pretty fitting.

Of course, that would mean Croteam would have to evolve the human-side portion of the storyline canon, since Sam is about the only existant human presence. But it could be different human units that utilize different weapons from the game. Infantry would utilize shotguns, tommy-guns, etc... Artillery would utilize the rocket launcher, C4, etc... Support would be sniper rifle, flamethrower, minigun, etc... , and heavy infantry would use cannons.

Give Serious Sam a "commander" type role and pit the human army against Mental's forces. I just think it would be cool to control Mental's armies. And drawing from the Serious Sam style, the campaign could stretch all portions of the globe, Egypt, South Africa, Asia, Aztec, Italy, Scotland, etc, focusing on the historical aspects of each region for landmarks.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #52   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Maybe a prequel to Serious Sam BFE. Showing us how Sam became so "Legendary" and what happened during Mentals 3 year conquest. Or, like previously suggested, a sequel including the ammo type system.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #53   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Well, I hope seriously that Croteam will keep making Serious Sam game with almost the same gameplay. Serious Sam forever !
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #54   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
Just a personal opinion, but I think there is a large majority that feels this way:

Serious Sam 2 - Too wacky
Serious Sam 3 - Too serious
SS:FE/SE - Just right

While I did love SS:BFE, I do think Croteam should go back to their roots for the next SS title.
In what universe is SS3 more serious than TFE? TFE was too serious
JUST SKILL
Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #55   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAndrey View Post
In what universe is SS3 more serious than TFE? TFE was too serious
For every funny one liner and/or funny secret in SS3 I can give you five examples in TFE. There was maybe two funny secrets in SS3 and a few good one liners, but TFE had way more than that.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #56   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

SS4 should start off on the ship right after SS2. Sam will be strapped down to a hospital bed and be told by a medic he has been drugged. They give him the antidote and everything starts changing from cartoonie SS2 style to normal serious style.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #57   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
SS4 should start off on the ship right after SS2. Sam will be strapped down to a hospital bed and be told by a medic he has been drugged. They give him the antidote and everything starts changing from cartoonie SS2 style to normal serious style.
hahaha lol this is excellemnt idea. So SS2 is all just bad dreaming now all make sense...
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #58   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboy View Post
hahaha lol this is excellemnt idea. So SS2 is all just bad dreaming now all make sense...
No, it all happened, it just looked weird and cartoonie due to the drugs. When the drugs wear off, the cartoonie characters change to serious bad-ass characters.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 AM   #59   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Serious Sam 4 starts up like ChrisW mentions, but instead, Sam finds a SSHD Harpy sitting next to him. She says "Oh god baby, I'm so glad you're okay!". After she kisses and hugs you, you walk out of the room and into a bathroom. Right after you get in, Hellfire calls and says "Hey honey, when are we going to have our date?". Now, you know that Sam has been cheating on one of the girls.

Then the player learns the truth; SS3-SS2 were actually hallucinations Sam made during surgery. In SS4, you must fix Sam's life as he tries to recover from whatever illness he had. You msut find a way to arrange Sam's life so that he can do his normal jobs like kill monsters, stop speedrunners from running to the end of a level while everyone else fights enemies, eliminate griefers that are deliberately destroying routes to secret areas, but also must straighten out his personal life as well. Which girl were you cheating on? Will you continue and hope you don't get caught, or will you dump one of them? Will you accidentally leak your unfaithfulness to Serious Sammy, who will tell the other girl?

In addition, you must deal with other issues, such as doing something about Rockin Ryan's descent into alcoholism, making disco popular again for Groovy Gregory, getting your photo taken for FPS Monthly's "Hottest Men" special issue, helping or hurting Vegetable Vaughn's vegan crusade, paying for Blue Bill's chroming job, and other problems.

These, and so many other questions, can only be answered in Serious Sam 4: Personal Encounter.

Last edited by Squadala; 07-11-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #60   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Now that's a game I want to play.