Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #61   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Default Re: SS4 new enemy ideas

Yeah Id agree with too much hitscan projectiles that enemy's fire. Some enemies should be able to fire slower like headman, zorgs (i hope they're on) and probably enemies that shoot grenades too.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #62   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Grenade enemies were missing in Serious Sam 3. I think it also needs some stronger enemies having cluster grenade-type weapons and other weird weapons that split.

Also, a few enemies that fire even slower projectiles than those fired by headmen.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #63   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Yeah stronger enemies should provide grenades that do unique attack like those on Borderlands or similar.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 AM   #64   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

http://forums.seriouszone.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20349&stc=1&d=1433462666

Balls
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 AM   #65   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Anyway, back on topic...

So I tried to think of all the enemies which could have a supporting role in Serious Sam and I came up with these:

Attack boosters:

Those units improve the attacking capabilities of nearby units. I found out that straight damage buff doesn't change the game that much so I came up with those two:

Rage Booster:

Remember how Scrapjacks and SS3 biomechs go into rage mode at low health? How about every enemy being able to go berserk with the help of this enemy and at any amount of health? Obviously this means that ranged units in rage mode will shoot a lot of projectiles. Melee units could also benefit from rage by either faster movement or more aggressive attacks. (e.g. kleer skeletons being able to lunge twice in a succession). Berserk booster would be cast berserk mode for 1-2 units at a time.

Special Attack Provider:

This is something that supports units with ranged attacks. Special Attack Provider can give special attacks to a few units at a time and these last until the special attack is launched. After that Special Attack Provider needs to give special ammunition to the unit again. Special attacks consist things like wavy projectiles, splitting projectiles, projectiles that attack a few times if they miss a target etc. Obviously, if both Rage Boosters and Special Attack Providers are present, things are going to get dicy.

Defenders:

This where I could get the most units. Defenders protect the other units of Mental forces in various ways.

Defense Booster:

This one is rather simple. Everyone near a Defense Booster gets 50% damage resistence. To make it a bit more fair, the effects of different defense boosters don't stack.

Invulnerability giver:

This unit makes one of the enemies invulnerable. When unit with invulnerability is hit, the Invulnerability Giver receives 20% of the damage done with an attack so it is still more reasonable to hit the Invulnerability Giver directly rather than through the invincicle unit itself. Invulerability Givers would also be able to chain themselves together (with the last one receiving the reduced damage if anyone other than the last one is hit) although I don't know about closed loops.

Blast shield deployer:

This one is rather complex. Blast shield is basically a shield that completely blocks damage done to the unit. Only a direct hit (But not splash damage. Cannonball would go through the enemies thet it can by default but cannonballs still remove only the blast shield) will destroy the blast shield but the shield disappears in a single hit.

There should be at least two types of Blast Shield Deployers. The first type gives everyone a single layer of blast shield but units can only given the shield once. The second type gives multiple layers of a blast shield (such as 15) to only a few units and gets additional charges to from the enemies killed around it.

When aiming crosshair at an enemy with blast shield, it would be useful to see a number which indicates how many layers of blast shield the unit currently has.

The reason why I suggest blast shield becomes apparent in multiplayer games with extra enemy health. Normally explosives outmatch any bullet weapons due to being able to damage multiple enemies at a time, rendering bullet weapons much less useful. With blast shields, machineguns and shotguns suddenly have more use. It would be useful for the amount of layers of blast shield to scale with current extra enemy health.

Forcefield deployer:

Forcefield Deployer basically deploys a spherical field which protects the units inside it (and behind it) from incoming attacks. The way to destroy the force field is to either shoot the forcefield until it is destroyed or to go inside the force field and kill the forcefield deployer directly.

Death Healer:

This unit explodes into gooey mess upon death. While it does not hurt the player, it heals the enemies around it even above their default health. This obviously makes Death Healer a low-priority target, especially if the Death Healer has only a weak attack. Other Death Healers receive significantly less health from Death Healers' explosions.

Miscellaneous ability givers:

These give miscellaneous abilities to other units. I could only come up with one.

Invisibility generator:

This one is rather simple: it renders all the other units around it invisible.

Transporters:

These provide a method for other units to get from point A to point B. Remember harpies carrying Beheaded Kamikazes? Sort of like that. While I don't describe individual transporters, we could roughly divide them in two: concealed and non-concealed transport.

With concealed transport, units stay hidden inside a transport unit and are not vulerable until the transporter is either destroyed or it comes within a certain distance of a player. Think of an armoured personnel carrier with side doors.

With unconcealed transport, units do not stay hidden and can attack the player while they are being transported. Think of a Werebull having a carriage on its back which situates at one unit that can attack the player.

A hybrid version is also possible. Think of the same armoured personnel carrier which has railings at the top and on the roof it houses some units which can attack you. That in addition to containing units inside.

Death exploiters:

Abilities of these units become apparent when nearby units die around them.

Ghost summoner:

This one was described before but to give a quick summary, it can summon a ghost (maybe two or three at a time) of an enemy which was just killed. A ghost cannot be damaged, the projectiles go through it (but it is still possible to colide with it) and it attacks and behaves like a normal enemy. After after 10 seconds or so it just perishes.

Beheaded kamikazes should be treated a bit differently though.

Weapon Snatcher:

Have you noticed that some enemies in the series (such as beheaded enemies or zorgs) carry weapons. What Weapon Snatcher basically does is that if one of the units with a weapon dies, its weapon will be grabbed by Weapon Snatcher through telekinesis, increasing its firepower. Weapon Snatcher carries a weapon of its own which other Weapon Snatchers could use, should it die. I think the max limit for a default Weapon Snatcher would be 4, including its own weapon.

Obviously, many of these enemies would benefit from customizability such as their target priority, movement pattern, units it contains etc..
Old 06-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #66   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

On the new Serious sam I think that (going a little off-topic though) some enemy weapons can be used by Serious sam himself. Such as maybe 2 or 3 of the enemy's like zorgs and headmans to be used along with the laser (and maybe ghostbuster too)... But apart from that I like you're massive ideas I like most of the stuff there you wrote, especially the blast shield, forcefield, weapon snatcher and all..
Old 06-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #67   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

How about we fight a big fat fucking box of shit?
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #68   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
r.i.p creativity

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #69   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
How about the shit demon, Golgothan.
..In a happy meal
Old 06-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #70   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ReXx View Post
r.i.p creativity
It was just a post to derail. Don't pay attention.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #71   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

I know, I don't take things as seriously as *ahem*Buzzy*ahem*

Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #72   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Now back on topic.

When I meant enemies which fire very slow projectiles, I also meant projectiles that move about the third of the player running speed. Obviously, if they are on their own they don't pose much of a threat unless their bullets spread and do weird things. However, when combined with other enemies it tends to crowd the area, making it more dangerous to navigate. So that would make another enemy type.

Also, weapon snatchers on my previous suggestion can probably fight their own if needed.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #73   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
It was just a post to derail. Don't pay attention.
Derail?
Old 06-22-2015, 03:20 AM   #74   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
Now back on topic.

When I meant enemies which fire very slow projectiles, I also meant projectiles that move about the third of the player running speed. Obviously, if they are on their own they don't pose much of a threat unless their bullets spread and do weird things. However, when combined with other enemies it tends to crowd the area, making it more dangerous to navigate. So that would make another enemy type.

Also, weapon snatchers on my previous suggestion can probably fight their own if needed.
It can be come quite nasty if the damage is high and it is in a small area; or the player is concentrated in defeating other monsters at once. Nukes, for example can be a slow projectile, but deadly.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:02 AM   #75   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It can work out. I have a similar enemy in SSHDX, the Arachnocod. They deploy these large, very slow moving yellow balls of lightning, and they slowly move towards you, and their role is to "pollute" the battlefield with these mines. But, you can also shoot the mines, that damages other enemies as well.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #76   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

I was thinking of some sort of a warrior-like enemy with various weapons, but the problem is that they are mostly melee. However, they are mostly in groups or hordes and can quickly surround you with ease if you are not paying attention to them.

I think those Kleers have this kind of role too..... *facepalms*
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #77   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

For those enemies which shoot large amounts of slow-moving projectiles, things could work out better if other enemies would be immune to those projectiles (or even just pass through them in harder difficulties). Remember how beheaded rocketeers and firecrackers are immune to their own missiles?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 AM   #78   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Nah, if other enemies are also vulnerable to these projectiles, that can give some interesting synergy to battles.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:20 AM   #79   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

How about headless commanders? They are accompanied by a massive group of headless and they boost their attack and defense. They themselves are much tougher and do much more damage than their troops. Perhaps their weapon could be an automatic laser/plasma weapon of some sort that fire fast projectiles so they can hit you from a safe distance behind their dudes. They wear black clothing including a Roman soldier style cape.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 AM   #80   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I was thinking about the same thing.

Also, we should need move'n shoot enemies (with ranged being the primary attack) with a strength between zorgs and minor biomechanoids.

Last edited by Artman40; 06-25-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:11 AM   #81   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I want to see the MP chars of SS2 as enemies somewhere at someones map.

Without Sam. And Serious S**** should fire Rockets or Minigun projectiles out of her b***s.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 06-27-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #82   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
And Serious Sammy should fire Rockets or Minigun projectiles out of her boobs.
gnaar wins the thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #83   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Quote:
I want to see the MP chars of SS2 as enemies somewhere at someones map.

Without Sam. And Serious Sammy should fire Rockets or Minigun projectiles out of her boobs.
Nice one Gnaar
Old 06-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #84   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

That is a very funny. Shooting bullets from her boobs. Just like Austin Powers
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #85   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Now back on topic...

What do you think the strongest meleé-only enemy should be? In Serious Sam 1 and 3 it was a werebull. In Serious Sam 2 it was a large primitive.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:03 AM   #86   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I was actual serious and not joking...
Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #87   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

:|
Old 06-25-2015, 11:29 AM   #88   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
I was actual serious and not joking...
Guess who's got a fucked up fetish

Old 06-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #89   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

God..

Though SS4 should have a little more female enemies I do think (besides the witch-harpy)..

Anyway the Bulls are strong monsters but the kleers damage when they lunge at you is quite damaging as well as well as that pumpkin guy too.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #90   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ReXx View Post
Guess who's got a fucked up fetish
Less fucks and LoLs makes me want to discuss with someone.