Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Default Just a small letter of support to Croteam...

After thinking about some of their games recently, and thinking about all of the asinine moves this industry has been doing lately, I think it's high time I give an open letter of support to Croteam as a developer for just being so generally awesome. So be warned. Lots of kiss-assery ahead. Obviously, there are other devs that being just as cool as Croteam, but we're not talking about them at the moment.

Now, for one, even though it's a feature that a lot of people never really used, the fact that a lot of their games have split-screen in them is pretty applause-worthy simply because SO many developers would simply just not have bothered. And especially not on the PC platform.

The second thing is how open they keep their games in general. They're easy to buy, mod, play, and get into. When you buy a Croteam game, you know you're getting a very unhindered unrestrained game. No invasive DRM. No BS about needing to control everything. They just give it to you with their tools.

The third thing is how easy on your system even their more modern games are. The Serious Engine now seems to be a very slick piece of tech after years of continuous improvement and it shows. Nevertheless, SE-powered games are so easy to run. It MAY not be as utterly powerful as the Unreal Engine or the CryEngine, but it more than makes up for it in pure performance.

The fourth thing is how they don't seem to be afraid at all to try new things. I mean, I was pretty flabbergasted when I first heard about The Talos Principle. I truly thought it was just a huge joke to lead up to Serious Sam 4 but then it totally blew me away when I played it and it gave even Portal a serious (tee-hee) run for its money, if not downright unseating it in my eyes. A AAA publisher would probably have never let that game see the light of day. (Serious props to Devolver Digital. They need some love as well.)

The fifth and final thing is... They're not dicks. I have never seen them talk down to their fanbase or act hostile in any way. Now obviously I don't know every single thing they do, but from what I've seen, they've been great.

Croteam isn't perfect but they're getting steadily better and better and I personally wish to support them as a fan. Because if we keep letting awesome developers like this fall by the wayside while The Division gets another fucking billion sales... Let's just say I'm pretty sure we won't be getting any good games for a while.

Alright, that's it. Croteam and Devolver, consider your ass thoroughly kissed.

Now, when the hell are we gonna see SS4 again?

My Charizard was banned in the Geneva Conventions.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:42 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Just a small letter of support to Croteam...

There are only a few developers who I still feel unrestrained genuine joy for supporting, and Croteam is one of them. There are always internet discussions about "good guy developers", but Croteam is never mentioned. Yet they support their games for free for many years, give you developer-grade tools, allow you to use their assets in any other game, build rock-solid engines that almost never have problems on newer operating systems, nowadays are generally at the forefront to adapt new technology and have actively supported and helped build the indie scene in Croatia. Even if Croteam wouldn't make the games I enjoy I would still buy them as gifts to support these guys.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Croteam is the only developer which I still adore and care about nowadays. Even despite some minor possible controversial decisions and clumsy moves they made within the last decade, they are still my favorites and I keep the faith in them. They are also one of the classiest and down-to-earth guys I've ever seen, it's great to see they didn't become narcissistic and snooty AAA-ego-driven-crollywood stars. In our time and age it's one of the rarest things, and it is valuable.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I pick D, All of the above. Sounds pretty accurate to me. Got the chance to kickstart my career with an on-location internship back in 2012/2013, so pretty thankful for that

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

tips hat.

croteam ftw.

i used to like dice but then ea purchased them and now they ruined my teen memories.

RIP Battlefield and Battlefront.

terrible developers, casualised games to the max, i just been playing the new death start dlc and it's really bad. angled trench run, bit of ds2, checkpoints, y-wings needed to drop shields on a isd..W T F ???
Old 09-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Croteam is one of the few developers out there that didn't exceed their grasp. They knew what they wanted and made realistic goals without letting the industry dictate how they should run their business. That is a strength few have and it has served them well. Good job!

Now if you ever get the idea to open a second studio in the U.S., let us know.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

You know, I feel rather bad for throwing such a hissy fit over the SSVR debacle. This is a sin that pales in comparison the recent trend of releasing games that are blatantly unfinished. I'm looking at you Ubisoft and whoever made No Man's Sky.

Croteam is not perfect but at least the noble-by-today's-standards trait of actually giving a flying fuck. I have enjoyed all of your Serious Sam games, even the molested-by-2K Serious Sam 2, and I look forward to playing all future entries as long as the series or I live.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
You know, I feel rather bad for throwing such a hissy fit over the SSVR debacle. This is a sin that pales in comparison the recent trend of releasing games that are blatantly unfinished.
Or microtransactions. Or cutting splitscreen for consoles in a game with strong MP of some kind. Or overloading the player with paid-for hackjob DLC. You know, just to name a few. And I only had objections with SSVR at first only because I thought at the time it was getting released in place of SS4. I was quickly proven wrong though so no harm done.

Quote:
even the molested-by-2K Serious Sam 2
Wait, what? I didn't hear that story. All I know is that SS2 was considered by many to be rather average.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Yeah, I've heard before, that 2K Games had some not very good influence on the development process, and that the original SS2 conception was to combine the cartoonish art style with bloody gameplay. Not sure if it's true.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); 09-22-2016 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, SS2-in-its-original-plans wasn't cartoony at all, it was more in the lines of TFE. Realistic, but colorful.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 09-22-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Actually, SS2-in-its-original-plans wasn't cartoony at all, it was more in the lines of TFE. Realistic, but colorful.
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/264/200/acb.jpg

Last edited by Solais; 09-22-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

SS4 is still a long way from being epic and finished. And let's just hope the SS2 reboot won't come too late, thought it needs time after Sam 4 is finished.

Keep up the great work, Croteam.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Bruh... I REALLY hope Croteam follows through with their plan to remake SS2 and I'm so grateful they're even considering doing so.

And this brings up another awesome thing about Croteam. How many developers say, "You know, we fucked up with this game, so we feel it deserves a second chance."?
Old 09-23-2016, 02:32 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

A lot of developers aren't above admitting their mistakes, albeit only afterwards. It's actually publishers who have their heads so far up their ass they can tickle their own uvula from the inside.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Bruh... I REALLY hope Croteam follows through with their plan to remake SS2 and I'm so grateful they're even considering doing so.

And this brings up another awesome thing about Croteam. How many developers say, "You know, we fucked up with this game, so we feel it deserves a second chance."?
It is a 100% certainty that SS2 will be remade after the release of SS4. It WILL happen.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootisMayo View Post
SS4 is still a long way from being epic and finished.
I don't get it though. SS4 was first announced way back in... What, 2012? Either way, SS3 was released in 2011. Even if they started work on it in 2012, it's been 4 years. (Yes, The Talos Principle did take some time and resources but last I heard, TTP was made by a temporary small splinter group before they went back to work on SS4?)

I don't know. Perhaps I'm just confused as to how and when development on these titles started.

Quote:
It is a 100% certainty that SS2 will be remade after the release of SS4. It WILL happen.
Will it be simply HD'd a la TFE and TSE HD? Or will you guys be actually remaking the game almost akin to a reboot? I have to say, the latter would interest me much more than the former.

Last edited by Artificial; 09-23-2016 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
I don't get it though. SS4 was first announced way back in... What, 2012? Either way, SS3 was released in 2011. Even if they started work on it in 2012, it's been 4 years. (Yes, The Talos Principle did take some time and resources but last I heard, TTP was made by a temporary small splinter group before they went back to work on SS4?)

I don't know. Perhaps I'm just confused as to how and when development on these titles started.

Talos wasn't made by just a small splinter group, it was a main project. SS4 development went on hiatus when Talos development began and it didn't restart again until Gehenna was finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
Will it be simply HD'd a la TFE and TSE HD? Or will you guys be actually remaking the game almost akin to a reboot? I have to say, the latter would interest me much more than the former.

It will be a reboot. Hence, why I call it "SS2Reboot".

Last edited by Solais; 09-23-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

The Sam1 HD games consisted 90% of new world meshes, but in Serious Sam 2 the enemies, some weapons and style itself are very cartoony so a lot will have to be changed to fit Croteam's vision. I expect the latter.

Edit: D'oh, Solais'd.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:36 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Talos wasn't made by just a small splinter group, it was a main project. SS4 development went on hiatus when Talos development began and it didn't restart again until Gehenna was finished.
Oh...

http://i.imgur.com/ylWBwTF.gif

So, it looks like we may just have to wait a little bit then.

Quote:
Nice. Looking forward to that then.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Also, after talos they basically started over again. So that reset the development clock.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus View Post
reset the development clock.
I just wasn't expecting that. Dang SamVR halting Sam 4 again.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Also, after talos they basically started over again. So that reset the development clock.
Why would they have to start over again though?

Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Because the puzzles in Sam4 is what inspired Talos and re-using those puzzles is just basically putting Talos in Sam4 which is lazy

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

That would only be part of the reason. My understanding was that they had a walkabout and tried to rediscover what kind of Sam games they wanted to make, and then go with that. Now we have a product in the works that will be 100 times better than their original idea. Getting back to their roots and stuff. Part of this was necessary because of all of the new people in the company. They made everyone play all of the games over again (some for the first time).
Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Because the puzzles in Sam4 is what inspired Talos and re-using those puzzles is just basically putting Talos in Sam4 which is lazy
Well sure, but puzzles are HARDLY the meat of SS, so I highly doubt that much was lost to Talos.

Quote:
That would only be part of the reason. My understanding was that they had a walkabout and tried to rediscover what kind of Sam games they wanted to make, and then go with that. Now we have a product in the works that will be 100 times better than their original idea. Getting back to their roots and stuff. Part of this was necessary because of all of the new people in the company. They made everyone play all of the games over again (some for the first time).
I liked the funny/semi-realistic tone of the third one best. The HD versions also were pretty nice. Maybe BFE's a little bit too serious and colorless but that's an easy fix and it looks like Jewel of the Nile did remedy that a lot so there you go.

Last edited by Artificial; 09-23-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:

Oh, Solais, your sure do know how to make a little boy giddy.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/F7zU5Qksvujde/200_s.gif

Unless SS4 is reality-warpingly amazing the SS2Reboot could easily be the best thing Croteam has ever made since it will combine SS2's scale and ambition with a proper execution by Croteam devoid of negative influence from a shitty publisher.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:55 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

LD is right, yes. Talos puzzles will likely won't be present in SS4, instead the whole thing was redesigned. It's still the same story and the same locations originally planned, but it's a new set of features. It is part going back to the roots, but part going with new ideas. But the ideas are not "because this is what modern games have" like with SS3, but "what would make the game even more fun". Its design in based on SS3 in the basics but also trying to fix all the problems SS3 had.

As for SS2Reboot, the idea is to be a true sequel to TSE; so design-wise, it is a derivative of the original SS1-like design. It will still have some SS3-like features, like sprinting, but any new feature will be based on "would this have been a fun addition if we added it to TFE?". Originally, it was planned to be an alternate route in design to SS4, but since the redesign of SS4, the two routes are pretty much the same now. The only difference is that while SS4's level design will be likely grounded in reality, SS2Reboot goes with alien planets, so it could likely have more surreal level design, just like TFE/TSE did.

Last edited by Solais; 09-24-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PootisMayo View Post
I just wasn't expecting that. Dang SamVR halting Sam 4 again.
Since Solais missed this post, I'll clarify what he said before: A small team at Croteam is working on SamVR as a side project, so Serious Sam 4 development is not halted and work on it will be minimally impacted if at all.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

@Solais, I think while ago I asked you the right question about the conception of the SS2 reboot. Why CT not make an official statement about it, to end once and for all the speculations?
Old 09-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Patience, padawan. All in good time. Don't want to announce it too early, like with SS4.

Last edited by Solais; 09-24-2016 at 05:58 AM.