Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Default No More MP Achievements Please

Enough with the fucking multiplayer achievements. Where the hell am I gonna find another, let alone more than 1, player to get the achievements with? There's either nobody playing (HD: TFE, Rev) or only kick-happy people playing.

Seriously, fucking stop with all the achievements that needs another human being to achieve. All achievements should be achievable alone.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: No More MP Achievements Please

Welcome to the world. Multiplayer achievements are supposed to incentivize multiplayer, so they won't go away. I don't like it either, but them's the breaks.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Multiplayer achievements are supposed to incentivize multiplayer
It's clearly not working.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I guess you could get them in events

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
It's clearly not working.
You're not making much of an effort yourself then. You can either ask around on forums (like this one) to get a game going, you could look in your Steam friends list who also has the game and try to get something going that way, or use some program to unlock those achievements if you don't care at all.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
You're not making much of an effort yourself then. You can either ask around on forums (like this one) to get a game going, you could look in your Steam friends list who also has the game and try to get something going that way, or use some program to unlock those achievements if you don't care at all.
But the challenge in getting achievements shouldn't be finding people to help achieve an otherwise simple (but tedious) achievement.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  

How surprising, you've managed to find another 100% irrelevant thing to whine about.
I'm certain all MP achievements should be replaced with 'Loser' (no description) for the account that goes by that one unique Steam ID which belongs to you.

Your constant querulousness isn't entertaining or stylish, you are not Charles Bukowski.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Uh.. no need to start attacking each other Target

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

You guys seem to be forgetting how broken Rev's multiplayer is, should you even go to the effort to get people being able to get those achievements are at the game's netcode's mercy.

Though in honestly SS doesn't get enough players to have multiplayer achivements. And considering how we just killed off one of the largest playerbases (Italians) from SSHD, I think my point stands.

EDIT: The only way I can think of to get those achievements is to do something with 7smoke. That's the only group I can think of that's large enough for it.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

I completely agree that multiplayer achievements are worthless. I have played far too many games where the multiplayer games are ruined by multiplayer achievements. Because 99% of the time, the achievements are completely irrelevant to actually doing good in the multiplayer match. At least most PC games allow private servers where people can farm achievements if they wish.

It has been atrocious on consoles where the achievements are tied to matchmaking games. I still have PTSD from Halo 3 when I would get matched with a whole team of strangers who would drive around in mongoose vehicles trying to get splatter kills the entire game. What a complete fucking waste, only because there was an achievement tied to mongoose splatter kills. Completely ruined the multiplayer experience for the first few months. On the plus side, most of this disappears after a few months once everyone finally gets the achievements.

That was one thing that COD:MW did right. All the achievements were solo-only. Multiplayer "achievements" were tied to perks and provided in game points for ranking up. A much better system IMO.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:24 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Disagree. I like the achievements, particularly in PVP mode.

If you don't like multiplayer achievements, you can:
- Ignore them
- Play solo
- Find a multiplayer team that supports your playstyle

These are all OPTIONAL. If you don't like achievements, don't complete them. Let it to the people who actually enjoy the game. Ruining other's experience is quite arrogant, you know?
Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

But these achievements are hardly challenging at all, and the true challenge is finding other players instead of playing the game. When it have to come to that, it might as well not be in the game at all.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Yes... they are optional, and I will gladly NOT try to achieve those achievements. My issue is when multiplayer achievements ends up causing random players to not play multiplayer "as intended". I have played far too many games that had the multiplayer achievements ruin the experience by people trying to "farm" achievements instead of trying to play the game. Teaming up with people you know isn't an option for everyone.

I will caveat my statement though. I don't mind MP achievements like "Get xxx kills with xxxx weapon" since those can be obtained through regular play. I do have problems with achievements like "Score a triple kill using a sniper rifle while riding a unicorn". Cause guess what, I'm going to show up in a game full of a bunch of dicks riding rainbow shitting unicorns trying to snipe some fools.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Achievements are useless at all. In-game awards counter for each time you reach current goal (like "Excellent" or "Impressive" in the Quake series) etc.

And please keep out perks and such shits from SS Versus.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

imo MP achievements are only acceptable when there's MP bots in the game and bots can be used to attain all the MP achievements
Old 11-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I kinda agree about the questionable nature of MP-only achievements. Not a fan of this thing at all, especially something like "find and kill the developer" kind of stuff. Though on the other hand, I guess there's no way or need to remove them from the game(s). There are people who like 'em, I guess, so why ruin it for them and cut something that keeps some people engaged? The more content and minor pleasure things we have — the better. Though it's of course would be more enjoyable if quality prevailed over the quantity, and those of us who don't like these kind of experience could have some alternative ways.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

How about this though: Extra achievements (the non-game progression or game difficulty ones) have two prerequisites. In Serious Sam 3 there could be an achievement that unlocks when you kill 100 players in competitive multiplayer or when you decipher all Egypt texts for example. That way, if you prefer multiplayer you could more easily kill 100 players but those of us (most of us?) who don't prefer grinding multiplayer can just grind through single player alone instead.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

How about no achievements at all, be it single player or multiplayer? I find them to be a pretty stupid thing personally.

BTW I remember NFS Carbon was locking some stuff, including cars, to be rewards for achievments like that, I think there was a Porsche GT3 RS that you had to beat a developer to unlock Now that was evil

Last edited by God Of Gaming; 11-01-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:33 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Right, let's also remove multiplayer from every game, I think that's pretty stupid personally.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

If a game has co-op, it gets a 1+ to the rating in my book.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Achievements are useless at all. In-game awards counter for each time you reach current goal (like "Excellent" or "Impressive" in the Quake series) etc.
I love this stuff as well and I wish it could've been utilised in SS games. You know, I'd love to see some sort of in-game prizes or bonuses for accomplishing various tasks. I love how Talos had those golden stars scattered here and there - they were completely optional, yet they presented more extra content, more challenege and you had a chance to unlock a secret ending by collecting all of them IIRC. I think, hidden collectibles would fit Serious Sam very well and the game could somehow encourage players for getting all of them. It's also a great way to encourage the exploration aspect. Combined with narrative backup (pieces of information, like those egyptian tables Discy mentioned above) and adding some randomness factor (collectibles could appear in different places and time, so you need to play the game more often for example) and giving something to the players as a valuable reward, it'd be much more interesting and fair.

Last edited by FreekNik; 11-01-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

It may work for CoD. But Sam's player base simple isn't large enough for this.

I mean, LOOK AT SERVERS! They are all empty now!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

That happens to most games. Some just last a bit longer than others.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekNik View Post
I love this stuff as well and I wish it could've been utilised in SS games. You know, I'd love to see some sort of in-game prizes or bonuses for accomplishing various tasks. I love how Talos had those golden stars scattered here and there - they were completely optional, yet they presented more extra content, more challenege and you had a chance to unlock a secret ending by collecting all of them IIRC. I think, hidden collectibles would fit Serious Sam very well and the game could somehow encourage players for getting all of them. It's also a great way to encourage the exploration aspect. Combined with narrative backup (pieces of information, like those egyptian tables Discy mentioned above) and adding some randomness factor (collectibles could appear in different places and time, so you need to play the game more often for example) and giving something to the players as a valuable reward, it'd be much more interesting and fair.
Strongly agree with you! Remove achievements at all. Instead:
- For coop and SP - extra content for unlocking - secret levels, weapons, easter eggs - etc.;
- For versus - wide variety of awards (for accuracy, rocket jumps, combo kills, multikills, total frag counter, favorite level, weapon, matches played - etc) and each earned award is counting on your profile, where all players can see it when they visit it. This gives information about the player skills.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

No need to remove achievements for those. And some people don't buy games if they have no achievements.

Achievements are also good research tools.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
No need to remove achievements for those. And some people don't buy games if they have no achievements.

Achievements are also good research tools.

"And some people don't buy games if they have no achievements." What? Really? No kidding? Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!
Old 11-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
"And some people don't buy games if they have no achievements." What? Really? No kidding? Omg
People also buy games for the trading cards (badges, backgrounds, emoticons, though I like to buy those on the market)

Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
People also buy games for the trading cards (badges, backgrounds, emoticons, though I like to buy those on the market)

"and" or "only for trading cards"? Anyway I suppose achievements aren't related to trading cards, only depend of the hours you played it.

Quote:
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
That's a deal!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:39 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
"and" or "only for trading cards"? Anyway I suppose achievements aren't related to trading cards, only depend of the hours you played it.
Yes.

Well there have been reviews of games saying "there's no trading cards, so can't recommend"

Old 11-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Yes.

Well there have been reviews of games saying "there's no trading cards, so can't recommend"

Wow... Well maybe I'm still very attached to the old school.

Quote:
Quote:
That's a deal!