Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default Serious Sam: Classic Steam Ultimate Launcher

Hi!

I love using Steam and I love Serious Sam, but sadly, the classic versions of the game (FE and SE) aren't really Steam compatybile excluding the fact that Steam can launch these games and count hours.

But what about mods? What about gamespy versions? Do we have to create separate Non-Steam games for that so we can talk to friends while playing? It won't count real Serious Sam hours, too... :c

Here comes the solution!
Based on my old solution for the mods problems I've written a small app (mostly for fun and training my coding skills) that uses super clever tricks to prepare your games to Steam launching.

Say hello to Serious Sam Ultimate Steam Launcher.

So, what is it? Basically, this:
https://i.gyazo.com/ea49ecb0ea2a157480cb74d0c58d2e59.png

Chose your options (select mod, enable/disable legacy GameSpy version), and simply click Launch Game - the signal to the Steam will be send to play the game, but before it'll do all stuff that you did in setting.

App has cool features like:
  • Support for both classic encounters on Steam out of the box. You can place the program anywhere you want and it just works - app reads where your Steam is in registry and handles from there by itself.
  • Support for mod launching from the game start (chosen from simple list, and yes - it updates by itself, you don't have to do anything again).
  • Support for launching the GameSpy Version from the start (the program also remembers if the version was enabled last time, and it'll tell you if it's on or not).
Any comment or suggestions are warm welcome!

Last edited by dragon99919; 01-07-2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Fixed image
Old 11-21-2016, 12:58 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam: Classic Steam Ultimate Launcher

Nice job, this is certainly a handy program. Any way to add buttons for the editor/modeler?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 11-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Sure, why not.
Honestly I don't think it's super usefull, because the Steam Overlay usually disturbs the work, but if someone likes it - ok.

Will make an update soon enought.

//edit

Or there might be an actual problem...
Both editor and moddeler are not in the separated apps, it's somehow synced with FE/SE IDs, so there's no way to launch them by Steam -applaunch option. I guess there might be a different way around, but I must study how exactly this works.

//edit2

While thinking about it I came to a win-win solution: the app might be helpful for opening Editor/Modeler, but without Stema integration. This means you'll have easier access to editors with some mod selected, and and problem with overlay fixed itself - cause there isn't any, because Steam didn't launch it kappa.

Last edited by dragon99919; 11-21-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

What's the point of having a separate executable for launching an editor in a mod, if you can just make a shortcut for it with "+game <modname>" switch? And why do you need Gamespy version at all? The only difference between it and the Steam SS1, is that server list doesn't work in Gamespy version.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:46 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

You can't append Steam shortcuts with switches as far as I'm aware. And I hate to have to go to Steam's game properties to mess with the launch options every time I want to play a mod/revert to the base game, so this is a great solution.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAwww View Post
And why do you need Gamespy version at all? The only difference between it and the Steam SS1, is that server list doesn't work in Gamespy version.
Idk. It was there so it's using it. What's the point of it being on Steam client at all? Somebody might want to use it for... reasons. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
You can't append Steam shortcuts with switches as far as I'm aware.
You actually can. The point is not to use the web-shortcuts, but using Steam.exe shortcuts. It was mentioned in the first post, my old solution for this, that was on this forum already.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Huh, that makes sense. Still, a one stop shop program to run any mod for both games is much handier than creating shortcuts, so the program still has merit.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

The program has been "sorta" updated recently so I decided to put it there again if anyone's interested.

Changes:

* Some code cleanup (due to my stupidity, the program was loading and searching whole registry for Steam directory all over again after clicking almost ANY button - this is fixed, I ensured that program will simply load registry once, exactly after the app starts and that's it).

* The program now has a new checbox that declares if it should be closed or not after launching the game.

Also, the download itself has been moved to my own server, so goodbye stupid waiting for loading or ads. Click and save! Simple as that. The link is updated in the first post, along with the new image, showcasing the new checkbox.