Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Default Re: Could Serious Sam 4 take the series back to its roots?

I really want a return to "clever" and worthwhile secrets in SS4. For me at least, great secrets promotes extra exploration to a game. Nothing in BFE really seemed like it was worth the effort so I didn't waste any time searching each nook and cranny.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:33 PM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Not to mention that most of the parkour secrets weren't that fun because of the jumpy and floaty physics. The only parkour secret I still remember fondly is the secret cannon in Under the Iron Cloud, because the payout was worth the investment and it was cleverly placed.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 AM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekNik View Post
I really hope that SS4 will be true to classic roots, but at the same time I honestly doubt that. Croteam always goes into different extremes with each Serious Sam game after TSE. I don't think it'll ever be the same anymore. I'm already concerned about Davor Tomicic's words about their desire to make a game with "the biggest levels and biggest amount of enemies". To me, it's the same extreme as "small levels and way too little enemies" - can be tedious and boring. What I've always considered to be the "roots" of Serious Sam games is not only big ass, open wide and plain levels with overwhelming amount of enemies, but also a nice incorporation of interesting indoor locations and areas somewhat similar to old-school FPS games of the 90s (albeit completely linear) with some verticality to them. There was also a great feeling of adventure to classic Serious Sam games, you felt like this cool Indiana Jones guy, combining gunning down bad guys with nice exploration aspect in a lovely living world where some divine and crazy things could happen sometimes! It was like uncovering 7 wonders of the world - you could visit places that noone ever seen before. I'm afraid that SS4 will fall into the same problem as SS3 - dead, boring world with very huge and plain realistic evironments, very huge amount of enemies coming in waves, but at the same time it'll have silly enemies, silly jokes and weird gameplay sections. Though I still have some hopes, just not that high, and I hope I'll be wrong in the end as well and the game'll be much better than I expect nowadays.
You know that "good" and "bad" depends on user's preferences. What you say for SS3's problems are not problems at all imo. Levels being too opened backwards, Using same assets, combined by the same way over and over again, the flat level design - this makes the game boring. Lack of creativity in bossfights is problem too - there are missed opportunities for swarm bosses and other classic SS elements, which can be integrated and refreshed. Secrets are also too boring in SS3 (except few, including JotN). And of course - JotN - where CT tryed to solve some of SS3 problems by simply pouring most of the missing ideas on a pile - and also didn't worked as it should be.

Those are the problems, which must be solved in one potential SS4.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I don't really understand what you were trying to say, to be honest - you mentioned the same problems I've covered in my previous post (boring world, flat levels) and you added some exta ones. Judging by that, your "what you say for SS3's problems are not problems at all imo" kind of сontradicts itself.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Yeah I was confused at that too.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
I'm afraid that SS4 will fall into the same problem as SS3 - dead, boring world with very huge and plain realistic evironments,
Well, I red this like "I have problem with that, the game look too much realistic.". Well, I don't have problem with that. I like Cairo streets, but also and the ancient part. Many people complain about that - streets + iron sights = CoD. I do not agree, Cairo was perfect start location, with very smooth transition to the ancient part.

But the levels itself had problems, both Cairo (not so) and the ancient levels (imo the ancient levels a bit more) - and not because of the level of realism, but because of the repetitive design, repeating over and over again the same assets, which create the feeling for monotonous levels. The tomb sections always had at least column hall full of space monkeys. There are like 2 or 3 types of columns always grouped in the same way. All the levels are flat. There are no jump 'n run elements at all (excluding the rolling stone and the rotating columns in "The last man on Earth", and the pile of j'n'r elements in JotN) but all of them felt more like an easter egg than a real challenge.Spikes, falling blocks, jump pads, kill-o-matics - where is all of it?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Actually, I have no problems with realistic environments too, but I'd rather prefer some creativity behind them, as well as incorporation of non-realistic environments or non-realistic elements, just like they did with sirian chambers. They should be done very cleverly though, because, like I said, Croteam likes to go into extremes, and there's just one step from making something "believable non-realistic" and another craphole like SS2 or TLH. Even small details like those cut invasion probes I mentioned numerous and numerous times thoughout years would make the difference, turning a simply realistic world into a realistic world that was actually invaded by aliens for some time. Addiing some interesting details and paying attention to world building could fix the problem I mentioned by saying "dead, boring world". And by word "plain" I also basically meant "flat" - once again, if you'd pay more attention you'd notice I also said I wish SS4 would have "some verticality to levels", unlike SS3. There's basically more problems behind just "oh, it's a modern city" or "oh, it's a bunch of ancient ruins" and I think it was repeatedly discussed over and over again on these forums, so I don't see a reason to repeat it all again tbh.

Last edited by FreekNik; 08-16-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I wonder if SSVR is a realistic look into upcoming SS4 things. If it is, things will get weird.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)