Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Sam Classic Mods

Serious Sam Classic Mods General mod discussion for Serious Sam 1 goes in this forum, also any tutorials/tutorial requests that have not been added to Serious Sam Wiki yet.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2001, 08:14 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Hollis is offline Send a message via ICQ to Hollis
So you're making a mod? "Oh boy, thats Rich!" How many times am I gonna hear it!!!!

I vote we develop the Criteria for posting such acts of ludicrisness (is that a word lol)  Anyway....

Here are my suggestions--

(Being the first member of the Seriously underground police dept who has sworn to ticket violators that plague us with empty promises and a non thoughtout process. I propose this decree)

Before you state that your making a mod check this list)

1. Do I have a site?
2. Is my site finished and has real content?
3. Do I have a design document?
4. Can I do anything other than post on msg boards or web design?
5. Can I really organize an effort to manage 10+ people and keep them motivated?
6. Do I really know what game design is all about?
7. Have I really thought this through?
8. Is my mod original and not some spinoff so I dont get shut down and waste people's time?
9. Do I even know what my own game is about?(a design doc should have told you)
10. Is there any concept art to show my ideas?
11. TBD by community
12. TBD by community
13. TBD by community

(Note to community-- please feel free to add more )

I still have to agree with the fact that the SS community is young and we have people here making the transition from other engines like Q3 and HL so its gonna take some time before we have a fully populated gene pool of talent using SS tools and such.  
 But Damn, How many crack wanna be mods are gonna show up before the end of the month with just wasted WEB SPACE as a result!
  Hey I got a novel IDEA, why not learn the tools of the trade and get really good and try to join a mod that seems to have it together. Once we produce a decent mod or two as a community then we will attract more people but this DEAD WEB SPACE and WACK A$$ "I'm making a mod post's" need to stop! (unless you really have it together of course)
  This is an effort to maintain quality. Making a mod isnt the "In thing to do" its real work, done by dedicated noobs, semi-talented noobs, and talented/experienced noobs. Just find a good mod to join and learn.

Oh yeah almost forgot-- For those of you who come back with, "well I tried to join one but I didnt cut it or something like that. Then ask your self this.

1.Are my skills up to date?
2.Am I any good?
3.Did I show some type of potential?
4.Have I demonstrated a real effort and provided examples? etc..

**if the answers to these questions are no then you shouldnt even consider making a mod.
 GET SOME SKILLS FIRST!!!!! and keep working at it, and working at it and working at it. Keep trying, stop whinning and by all means do not start a Mod cause IM WATCHING.

Old 05-17-2001, 09:28 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Hollis, I think you've just expressed what alot of us have been thinking. I say that starting today, here on this message board, we declare the days of "Big Talk" over and the "Era of Action" has begun! I'm tired of all these 'going nowhere', 'I play alot of video games so I know I can make one', 'Message board trollin', 'I can't draw, map, or code, but I can manage the team', 'lying about progress', 'unorganized buffoons' wasting peoples time. Get your sh*t together before you come to the table! Period.
Old 05-17-2001, 09:42 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

OMG!.....must I police all the game forums.

*Violator spotted*

This is exactly what Im talking about!!!!

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=48609

TOO FUNNY!!!!
Old 05-17-2001, 09:55 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Devil N is offline Send a message via ICQ to Devil N
Add this one:
"Will I actually do something myself?"
Too often do you see people who have an idea for a mod and want other people to make it. That's not the way to go. You have got to make something yourself, or you're just an idiot
System: Athlon 600@690 - GigaByte GA-7IXE - 320 MB PC133 & PC100 - Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS Pure - SB Live! Player 5.1 - Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 - IBM DeskStar 15 Gig 7200 RPM - AOpen 52x CD-ROM - HP Scanjet 3300C - M$ Intellimouse Explorer
Old 05-17-2001, 09:56 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Devil N is offline Send a message via ICQ to Devil N
Oh heh, that is exactly what that link of yours is about
System: Athlon 600@690 - GigaByte GA-7IXE - 320 MB PC133 & PC100 - Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS Pure - SB Live! Player 5.1 - Cambridge Soundworks DTT2200 - IBM DeskStar 15 Gig 7200 RPM - AOpen 52x CD-ROM - HP Scanjet 3300C - M$ Intellimouse Explorer
Old 05-17-2001, 10:06 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

So far, two mods are making progress in the sam scene - bull arena is almost finished, and the two megaman mods are going along as well as can be expected without coders =(
Old 05-17-2001, 10:46 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

ill give you the low down on the SS mod scene

when SWD hits with their teamplay, it will be big, ctf in SS will own

if Serious Fortress does just 75% of what they want to do it will be huge, definatly follow this one

and my personal favorite to watch for his called "hit-squad". its a realism based, mafia mod, meaning no good guys.

another one that i absolutly want to see is knifes mod, the large scale military one, sweetness
Old 05-17-2001, 12:24 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy
BirddoG are you talking about Knife Arena? We need some people, but we really havn't announced it yet because we need to make sure taht we can get it out with the features we want. If we get a coder and 2d artist for weapon models, then I think we'll be set, we just have to know that the team's going to work. I think that's the smart thing.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:31 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Anime Freak

Bwian is offline Send a message via AIM to Bwian
Yeah, Bull Arena is coming along nicely (and once I have a working mod to finish my map with (probably 80% done), we'll be well on our way to release date.

You can expect SF stuff to speed up a little soon. Josh and Chris (the guys you've never seen here on the boards) have just gotten out of school for the spring semester, and will have the summer to work on things. On the 21st we'll be having our regroup meeting, to get together with what we have so far, and plan out the summer. We might be able to set a rough release date if we're lucky.

I've said it before, but I'm really looking forward to HiT-SQUAD, and I can tell ya, Mailman has his head firmly planted between his shoulders. Hopefully, everyone else can say the same for me and Entroper.
Old 05-17-2001, 02:35 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Quote: from Smithboy on 12:24 pm on May 17, 2001
BirddoG are you talking about Knife Arena? We need some people, but we really havn't announced it yet because we need to make sure taht we can get it out with the features we want. If we get a coder and 2d artist for weapon models, then I think we'll be set, we just have to know that the team's going to work. I think that's the smart thing.
no not knife arena, but the actually guy named knife

hes working on a military mod

and i might have a small map if KA is like rocket arena

Check it

its a small, square level that would be good for 1v1

i could add some more crap to it to  make it look better
Old 05-17-2001, 02:45 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy
I don't think we planned on having it with rounds, but that's a great idea. I'll think about that.

(Edited by Smithboy at 1:45 pm on May 17, 2001)
Old 05-17-2001, 10:01 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Special Delivery

Mailman is offline Send a message via ICQ to Mailman
hehe, thanks bwian I'm really looking forward to playing SF.  As far as I can tell, you guys are doing very well with your weapons coding.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:30 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Digital Artist

Chimera is offline Send a message via ICQ to Chimera Send a message via AIM to Chimera
Mailman already covered some of it, but thanks to all you guys for the support. *Modding (is that a term?) certainly isn't easy, so it's great to see some support. *And going back to the first post - I'm sad as well that a lot of mods out there that don't go anywhere.

Oh yeah, and one more shameless plug... I'm looking for a good texture artist to help out the team. *While we were on the subject of mods not getting stagnant I thought I'd throw that in.

(Edited by Chimera at 9:31 pm on May 17, 2001)
Old 05-17-2001, 10:36 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Once again the respected development groups pop up in the thread . You guy's defintely have respected mods running at the moment and you fall into the category of "having it together" hopefully you will serve as an example of "how do I approach this dream" for the "wet behind the ear noob".
It will be these mods and others like it that will help drive the life blood of the growing SS mod scene.

Old 05-17-2001, 10:41 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

---qoute---
"Oh yeah, and one more shameless plug... I'm looking for a good texture artist to help out the team.  While we were on the subject of mods not getting stagnant I thought I'd throw that in."
---qoute---

Are you kidding?  thats what we need, since there seem to be more mods than talnet at the moment. Experience is key...UNEMPLOYMENT IS AT AN ALL TIME HIGH!!!!!   ROFL!!!

Old 05-17-2001, 10:49 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Digital Artist

Chimera is offline Send a message via ICQ to Chimera Send a message via AIM to Chimera
Thanks Hollis.

In that case, all you texture artists out there... show me what you got!
Old 05-18-2001, 01:14 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

What, mecha aren't good enough for ya? Kidding, kidding. CAZMod's coming along great tho, our first map, Neo Tokyo Urban Sprawl is on the way (again, much thanks to synthetic and Lutrosis for help with destructible buildings), and our modeler actually called the Serious Modeler 'easy to use'. I don't know about you, but I can't make heads or tails out of how to make it work, so that's alright by me.

And BTW, I'd like to see BOTH Megaman mods come out.
Old 05-18-2001, 07:46 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

MegamanTC is offline Send a message via ICQ to MegamanTC
Megaman Time Fushion is well in progress, they have been working since oct last year, but Megaman TC just started about 3 weeks ago so there is still some planning and concept arts that need to be sorted out before the modelling team and mappers can start working but like you know good planning is of the essence.
Old 05-18-2001, 10:45 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Protoz is offline Send a message via ICQ to Protoz
Thanks for the kind words Planerunner

Well I started MMTF in Oct for HL then when I as about to give up Napalm came and we got brainstorming, we moved to SS  got a few good people now we need a VERY active coder, (maybe I'll give Sniper an ICQ...)

Anyways, I really hope MMTF AND MMTC get released, we are doing different things so you can get your MM fill 2 different ways
Old 05-28-2001, 08:14 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Digital Artist

I thought I would bump this up to the top of the list so the new guys would see it and know the general rules.

Just doing my duty as a good SS Mod Comunity Citizen.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:49 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

And indeed your are my friend