Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

Default Which SS3 enemy do you hate the most?

Which enemy really got under your skin and why?
It can be a normal enemy or a boss.
(I didn't make this a poll, because there's more than just 15 enemies and that's the max amount of poll options.)

For me, it'd probably have to be the Technopolip, they're incredibly annoying without the devestator and if there's more than two of them in the sky, may God have mercy on you. Also, they're HITSCAN.

I don't really care for space monkeys, they could be removed from the game and I probably wouldn't even notice.

Last edited by Ziemniak; 11-02-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Default Re: Which SS3 enemy do you hate the most?

The Helicopters are easily the worst, no matter which variant you're facing.

Witch-Brides come close to holding that slot, minus the fact that SamVR shows that you can do something more interesting and less pace-stopping with them.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

My final choice is between Witch Brides and Technopolips. Here's the breakdown:

Technopolip:
  • They're immune to most of your arsenal.
  • Keeps distance and evades a lot, making anything (from the weapons that can damage them) but the devastator and cannon pissing in the wind.
  • On a few occasions you're forced to fight them with the slow-ass rocket launcher, sometimes even more than one at once and one time with laughable cover.
  • They fly around and over your cover constantly, so if you keep your eye off them for a moment or fight two marginally organized assholes they have a bead on you.
  • Their projectiles deal huge damage, are hitscan and fire in long volleys.
  • Basically they can rip you to shreds on a moment's notice.

Witch Bride:
  • They only take damage during small windows when they attack.
  • They teleport after attacking/taking damage/when they're bored.
  • Their attacks leave you immobile, so any other enemies close by have free shots.
  • Their attacks slow your mouse sensitivity, so when they grab you good luck trying to look around where they are to goddamn defend yourself.
  • After a second their attacks start JERKING YOUR VIEW AROUND LIKE YOU'RE HAVING A SEIZURE SHIT SHIT GODDAMN WHERE THE FUCK WHAT THE AAAAUUUUGH!!

At least against the Technopolip's attacks you have a chance of defending yourself, I'd say the Witch Bride wins on sheer bullshit factor simply because you're fucked if they grab you when there's other enemies in the mix.

Special shout-outs go to the Cave Demons for spending 90% of their time jumping away or hiding in disgrace and the Khnum for being immune to most of your arsenal like the Technopolip and auto-dodging/auto-fastretaliation when you fire rockets at them. The Khnum does get bonus points back for allowing you to lob off their heads with another player. Yeah!
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 11-03-2016 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Didn't we already have a similar topic somewhere on the forums?

Anyway, if anything, Discy perfectly summed up my personal thoughts about the worst enemies in SS3. I would only probably add small arachnoids to the list as well. Pretty much anything that is hitscan, small and blends with the boring landscape is a pain in the ass in any Serious Sam imho.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I like all of them, but the clone soldiers are somehow too generic.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

What Discy said.

Cave demons are another problem. While they don't do a lot of damage, it's a pain to hunt them down. Moreover, they're almost always located in places where there are a lot of pillars. There's no quick or non-tedious way to take them down either. You either have to wait for them to attack or try to hunt them down, both equally slow.

You know, I think that these enemies would have been actually pretty ok if they were semi-stationary. That means, if they'd stay on the wall and ceiling most of the time and then occasionally take leaps at player, returning to same location after the attack. In fact, I think that could be arranged with different level where they would be in rooms with no pillars.

Khnums are also a bit annoying due to having the same immunities as tecnopolip. It's also not obvious how to dodge their attacks. At least they become bearable once you get your hands on the devastator or cannon.

The main problem with cloned soldiers and shotgunners is hitscan weaponry. At least they're easy to kill.

Scrapjacks are also fun to kill but dodging their attacks is a hit and miss. Sometimes they seem to predict your movement and sometimes not. It's also not clear how many rockets they're going to fire.

The problem with reptiloids is the reduced player maneuverability compared to Serious Sam 1 which often makes this enemy "kill it before it kills you". At least when you're not using rapid-fire weaponry.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:35 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
Khnums are also a bit annoying due to having the same immunities as tecnopolip. It's also not obvious how to dodge their attacks. At least they become bearable once you get your hands on the devastator or cannon.
Khnums are badass enough that I can forgive them the being mean sometimes, but I somewhat agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman40 View Post
The problem with reptiloids is the reduced player maneuverability compared to Serious Sam 1 which often makes this enemy "kill it before it kills you". At least when you're not using rapid-fire weaponry.
I forgot about them. I hated those guys too, their projectiles seemed "Smarter" in SS3, but Technopolips still win at being the most annoying. Urgh.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Technopolips don't appear enough to be annoying IMO

reptiloids are the worse, the lack of constant bullet spraying weapons makes taking down their projectiles a total pain.

Which Brides, I hate Witch Brides with a passion! Their like AIDS when there's other enemies nearby. Softening you up and leaving you vulnerable to all other threats.

No one else mentioned it yet but I think it's worth mentioning: Kleers.
In SS3, kleers are ALOT faster and their leaps can go much further. And with Sam's more limited mobility they are differently annoying to fight.
This doesn't help that alot of enemies in SS3 are more bullet spongy and Kleers are the best example to this. While in past games they would flinch after enough damage and stop moving to play wound animations. That doesn't happen, AT ALL, in SS3, they keep running at you no matter what and don't stop.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post

No one else mentioned it yet but I think it's worth mentioning: Kleers.
In SS3, kleers are ALOT faster and their leaps can go much further. And with Sam's more limited mobility they are differently annoying to fight.
This doesn't help that alot of enemies in SS3 are more bullet spongy and Kleers are the best example to this. While in past games they would flinch after enough damage and stop moving to play wound animations. That doesn't happen, AT ALL, in SS3, they keep running at you no matter what and don't stop.
I feel inclined to call you out on this one. Most returning enemies in Sam 3 yield the same health cap as their classic counterparts, it probably feels that they're tougher due to changes in their speed to match that of Sam's.

Yes, Kleers are made to be faster compared to their classic equivalents in Sam 3, but the methods one uses to combat them are practically the same as they were in the Classics. A single shotgun blast has never been enough to stun a Kleer, you always have to inflict a bit more damage first. Or, you can always shoot a Kleer twice with the single shotgun before he is right within lunging distance, which is often guaranteed to stun one. Peppering them with the Assault Rifle (or just downright killing them with it) is also a viable tactic. Causing skeletons to flinch is still a gameplay element, but it is noteworthy that on higher difficulties, they still retain a bit of inertia and continue to slide in their pre-determined direction when stunned.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:15 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

In defense of the Khnum I think they are a well realized enemy and make for an excellent Cyberdemon expy in the Serious Sam verse and one of the few SS3 enemies on my personal wishlist of Serious Sam foes I would like to see "classic-fied" and added to SSR.
(I will confess that as a doom mapper I'm sorta approaching mapping for SS like making a doom map, (which entails less of a constant hordes of monster in realistic spaces thing and more of abstract architecture with mixes between focused fights and occasional hordes of monsters thing) and that somewhat affects my high opinions of the Khnum)

I think the Witch bride could have been better handled to be honest. Oh, and the Cave Demons are just, ugh!. I feel the cloned soldiers also nicely fill a niche that been unfilled for a wee bit too long, although I would have simply preferred that croteam simply had created beheaded shotgunner and beheaded assault riflers instead.

The Technopolip reminds of the first boss in Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion which makes me wonder if Croteam is digging up old mid to late 90's fps and playing 'em.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Hey, for anyone who has Serious Sam VR, remember how witch-brides attack in that game?
Old 11-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It got a custom behavior written in Lua, though I think it is based on a new sort of movement in the engine.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.