Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

overbored is offline Send a message via ICQ to overbored Send a message via AIM to overbored Send a message via Yahoo to overbored
Default Why dedicated server isn't listed?

When I run (from the Bin folder, on Windows):

Code:
Sam3_DedicatedServer.exe +gamemode TeamSurvival +level Content/SeriousSam3/Levels/Z5_Other/SV_Canyon.wld +sessionname "ALL CANYON, ALL THE TIME" +maxplayers 8 +minplayers 1
and then use the in-game server list, I only see my game listed as a LAN game (with a LAN icon), and not doubly listed as a normal Internet server, which others have mentioned is what I should be expecting (though if this is incorrect then please let me know—I asked this specific question elsewhere. I can confirm that my router is forwarding port 27016 (both TCP and UDP) to this host.

FWIW, I believe servers I start in-game are visible to others since people occasionally join them.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:18 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: Why dedicated server isn't listed?

Did you forget about port 27015?

Also, servers you start in game are not technically labeled as servers, they're labeled as lobbies (to Steam, anyway) and they're peer to peer, where you don't need port forwarding.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

overbored is offline Send a message via ICQ to overbored Send a message via AIM to overbored Send a message via Yahoo to overbored

Thanks for your reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Did you forget about port 27015?
I actually have that port forwarded as well—I don't believe I need rcon enabled though so I didn't mention it (that's the only reason to open 27015 based on my research), but I figured there's no harm in opening it up anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Also, servers you start in game are not technically labeled as servers, they're labeled as lobbies (to Steam, anyway) and they're peer to peer, where you don't need port forwarding.
That jives with my mental model.

Anyway, some more details:
  • netstat -a -n shows Serious Sam listening on TCP 27015 and UDP 27016
  • I have both TCP and UDP for both 27015 and 27016 forwarding to this host
  • I can confirm that when I run a simple echo server on these ports, I get responses for a client running on a remote host (outside of my LAN); I tried both TCP and UDP, and both work
  • Serious Sam is allowed by the Windows Firewall (which I've also simply tried turning off)

Anything else I'm missing?

Last edited by overbored; 07-06-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
I actually have that port forwarded as well—I don't believe I need rcon enabled though so I didn't mention it (that's the only reason to open 27015 based on my research), but I figured there's no harm in opening it up anyway.
27015 TCP is used by rcon yes, but also by some Steam internals regarding gameservers, so you have to make sure that's all fine.

You mention a lot of things that you tried, which makes it interesting that it doesn't work.

A couple things I've learned from hosting SeriousSam.nl servers is that there's a couple things that make a server not show up:

1. Using port numbers outside of the 27000-27999 range. Not sure why, but this is a cause sometimes. This doesn't count for you since you're well within that (default 27015/27016 is ok.)
2. Running multiple servers on 27015 and 27016. If you have a server running on 27015 (with +port 27015 or via script) and another one on 27016, things get weird since Steam wants to use both of those, but it actually can't. Server won't report any errors, but it won't show up. Good to note.
3. Running with the Steam client turned on. If you're logged into Steam, sometimes your servers won't show up because your account has some kind of flag set. I'm not exactly sure why or how this works, but I had a situation going where servers wouldn't show up on the serverlist when I was logged into Steam account A, whereas they would show up fine if logged into Steam account B, C, or having Steam turned off completely. I don't know if the same counts for SteamCMD.
4. Invalid or no level name. Sometimes when you start a server without specifying a level (either with +level or via script) the game will report to start an empty string (I've also observed it loading the first cooperative level) and resulting in the server not showing up. So make sure you run the server with at least +gamemode and +level. This however is probably not your case, because I don't think you can see the server at all (not even as a Lan server)

Hope this helps.

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

That's helpful, thanks! I'm trying to run the server without Steam running now.

I actually just noticed there is a third-party server list monitoring service where my server is actually showing up (no idea if it was the Steam thing since I only just discovered this service—I don't know if it was showing up before):

http://www.gameserverdirectory.com/s...ous-sam-3-bfe/

http://www.gameserverdirectory.com/s...202.239:27016/

So maybe others can actually see the server from the in-game server list after all? And maybe I should only expect to see the game listed once myself (contrary to the linked post in my original post, which was my only hint)?

Anyone else able to see it from their in-game server list?
Old 07-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Also, I forgot to mention you can see all servers that /should/ be visible on the serverlist on this page:

http://api.steampowered.com/ISteamAp...39&format=json