Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

overbored is offline Send a message via ICQ to overbored Send a message via AIM to overbored Send a message via Yahoo to overbored
Default Any way to save a Survival mode game?

I'm practicing Survival mode games, but the first 5 minutes or so are tedious, and it's the latter part that I'm trying to hone. Any console commands or other things I can do to actually save a Survival mode game so that I don't have to do the first parts over and over? Thanks!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: Any way to save a Survival mode game?

No, that would be cheating

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

overbored is offline Send a message via ICQ to overbored Send a message via AIM to overbored Send a message via Yahoo to overbored

Seriously? (har har) Even if you really considered it cheating, what's wrong with someone deciding to play the game in god mode or with unlimited ammo? Heaven knows I've seen plenty of co-op games with unlimited ammo. Plus it's not like I'm asking for an aimbot. I'm just bored with the first parts of the single-player Survival mode games I'm playing.

Furthermore, you're justifying the absence of this with because "that would be cheating." By this measure, plenty of console commands (or really the entire developer/modding framework) shouldn't exist, because "that would be cheating."

Anyway, to try nudging this thread back to an actually-productive discussion: even if there isn't a way to save a game, is it alternatively possible to use the Serious Editor to edit an existing Survival mode map to change up the way it spews enemies to resemble the later-stage games? I'm open to any solutions here. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I don't think you understood me correctly, saving/reloading isn't possible because it would allow people to cheat the leaderboards. You can enable cheats, but it won't allow you to submit leaderboard scores. You can modify survival maps and play in moddable mode, but it won't allow you to submit leaderboard scores either.

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
I don't think you understood me correctly, saving/reloading isn't possible because it would allow people to cheat the leaderboards. You can enable cheats, but it won't allow you to submit leaderboard scores. You can modify survival maps and play in moddable mode, but it won't allow you to submit leaderboard scores either.
Good point—I'm certainly expecting the results to *not* show up on the leaderboard.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

As such, I don't think you're going to be able to save/load even with the use of cheats, and if you want to modify the levels and its spawner scripts to start from a specific point.. that's going to be incredibly difficult and time consuming to incredibly hard

Perhaps you can start a simulation in the editor and save the state of the simulation from there, but I haven't toyed with that enough to know.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

I'm pretty sure the game tracks whether or not you've ever loaded a save in the level (see the Queen Hatshepsut achievement). It'd likely be a simple matter for the game to check that variable before deciding whether or not to send the score to the leaderboards.

That said, it's not going to happen. Having save/loading enabled like this would just be arbitrary, since the score wouldn't even be sent to the leaderboards, defeating the purpose. Most people wouldn't get that it's for practice, and would likely complain that their scores weren't being submitted, or that it's too easy since they can save/load.

However, a custom "Survival Practice" gamemode could be feasable. It's possible to make new gamemodes that load up the maps for any other gamemode, so it'd be possible to have a Single Player gamemode load up Survival maps with saves enabled (and leaderboards disabled, even though moddable mode already does that). Only problem is that custom Single Player gamemodes don't work correctly in the current version. The upcoming version (current Public Beta) fixes this, though.