Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #301  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe
Default Re: The "Bug-Me" Thread: Your Questions for Croteam

That is incredibly relieving to hear that you guys are designing it the way you are.
I'd hate to see the new engine suffer from the same woes as Fallout3.

Q:
Will modders be able to writeup their own shaders for this engine? I know that you have all put alot of work into your ubershader, but I'm just curious.
-----
How much support are you guys including for peripheral input devices such as game pads, joysticks, etc.?
The original engine gave me alot of trouble in this regard and SE2 didn't like my joystick (Saitek X52) for some reason.
-----
Do you guys have intentions to bring back the old monsters in frag match capability so that we can do things like this map again?
http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpo...9&postcount=94

Last edited by AverageJoe; 08-30-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #302  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman-- Send a message via Skype™ to --Fragman--

Creating shaders was possible with the SS2 SDK, but you'd need some good knowledge about gfx programming (which I don't have) to make something good.
I don't think much has changed in that area, maybe they support a better shader language now?

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #303  
Mental

Deepblue is offline Steam ID: Deepblue_Seriously

What was the Uber Shader originally for in SS2 anyway?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #304  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Do you guys have intentions to bring back the old monsters in frag match capability so that we can do things like this map again?
http://forums.seriouszone.com/showpo...9&postcount=94
It's already possible in SS2. You just have to change all the players' alignment to evil upon spawn via macro IIRC. One of the maps in our DM Pro mod did that.

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- Mountain Madness (New Campaign Demo!)

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #305  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Steam ID: Valerie-Valens Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens Twitter: LadyFuzztail Youtube: JoanMichele

The only problem is that killing a monster in DM does not award you points to your frag count in SS2.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #306  
Kamikaze

"Q: Will there be voice communication support so players can talk to each other?
A: Yes."

OH SHI mic spammers valve's games is full of this
Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #307  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfsgdfg View Post
"Q: Will there be voice communication support so players can talk to each other?
A: Yes."

OH SHI mic spammers valve's games is full of this
Well, considering that most games have dealt with this by allowing players to turn of voice chat entirely and/or allowing to mute players, i'm guessing/hoping we'll get the same options in SSHD.

Besides, Valve's games are in a special condition when it comes to "mic spamming" as you call it, as their two most popular games are overrun by what can best be described as immature brats. As an example, L4D didn't have terrible amounts of voice spam, whereas it's always been a problem in CS/CSS (at least it was back when i played it). All the other games i play don't have a problem with voice spam either, though i imagine that games like the COD series suffer from the problem too.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #308  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Steam ID: BjossiAlfreds Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Question: Will Serious Sam HD (and SS3 too) give users the possibility to minimize the game's use of the Documents and Settings / Users area as well as the registry? For example storing savegames in the main game folder and store settings in a local ini file.

(Although the Sams to this day have abused the registry for no reason at all like 99.9% of recent games and software, they do store savegames within the main game folder, and that is something I greatly appreciate and hope will be there in the next installments.)

Last edited by Fiendian; 09-02-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #309  
Supreme Commander

XMR1 is offline Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
Question: Will Serious Sam HD (and SS3 too) give users the possibility to minimize the game's use of the Documents and Settings / Users area as well as the registry? For example storing savegames in the main game folder and store settings in a local ini file.

(Although the Sams to this day have abused the registry for no reason at all like 99.9% of recent games and software, they do store savegames within the main game folder, and that is something I greatly appreciate and hope will be there in the next installments.)
Well I am with you on that.
I also dislike save games being stored outside the game folder.
Makes it harder to clean such games of your drive (or - as I do sometimes - clean of old sav egames that take up space as you firstoff have to find them ).
But the average user lets the game be installed into C:\Program Files\<Name of company>\<Name of game> (the default path).
And it is programmly-wise a bad habbit to change anything within the Program Files directory. It is meant to once let a program install itself in there and then change nothing anymore (except for when uninstalling).
Unfortunately 95% of the programs still do this so MS created the virtual Program Files dir, where all these files land.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #310  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Hoping for this too.

I hate anything that puts stuff outside the location where I originally wanted it to be.

For example, I have two hard drive partitions, C and D, where C:\ is only for Windows and system files and D:\ for everything else. Yet some idiotic games and programs keep writing things to the C:\ drive even if they're originally installed on D:\, and I've even moved all users' my documents folders to D but things still keep appearing on C.

The worst case was when I tried to patch Crysis. I was only able to patch the game like two versions up because the patch installers would automatically extract all of their files on C before continuing (filling up the system drive entirely ), so in the end, I had to be stuck with an outdated version simply because there was no effin' option to specify where the files get extracted prior to installation.

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- Mountain Madness (New Campaign Demo!)

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 09-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #311  
Supreme Commander

XMR1 is offline Send a message via ICQ to XMR1 Send a message via MSN to XMR1 Send a message via Skype™ to XMR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Hoping for this too.

I hate anything that puts stuff outside the location where I originally wanted it to be.

For example, I have two hard drive partitions, C and D, where C:\ is only for Windows and system files and D:\ for everything else. Yet some idiotic games and programs keep writing things to the C:\ drive even if they're originally installed on D:\, and I've even moved all users' my documents folders to D but things still keep appearing on C.

The worst case was when I tried to patch Crysis. I was only able to patch the game like two versions up because the patch installers would automatically extract all of their files on C before continuing (filling up the system drive entirely ), so in the end, I had to be stuck with an outdated version simply because there was no effin' option to specify where the files get extracted prior to installation.
Well C is the main partition on almost all pcs. So why would someone make that partition as small as that Windows has barely place on it?
Plus, what are you doing with all your apps? (E.g. Photoshop, Icq, etc.), they're supposed to land in the C:\Program Files dir.

Edit: Eeeqh, you can't even upgrad your RAM, even if you want to. If Crysis patch overfills your C drive (Crysis patch: ~200 MB) your not able to upgrade RAM as it would enlarge your C:\pagefile.sys to totally overfill your drive.

Last edited by XMR1; 09-03-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #312  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Steam ID: BjossiAlfreds Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

What this world needs is a "Self-containment Project", a big team of programmers that hack programs and games to change file writing paths and move settings from registry to ini files, so that Windows could crap out one day and when you reformat and reinstall, all software and games that were safely kept on the other drive are in 100% condition, the ones that you applied a self-containment patch to at least.

But yes, I hate with a passion how programs and games abuse the registry and D&S/Users. It makes no sense to me whatsoever why programmers prefer burying settings deep inside a massive registry hive when all that data can simply be written to an ini file only a few mouseclicks away.

Of course the reason for this is valid, seeing that 99.9& of stuff defaults its install path to (the write-protected in Vista/7) Program Files folder, but that doesn't answer the question of why stuff defaults to that folder. It is much tidier to install games to fx. C:\Games, or 3rd party programs to C:\Programs and not to mention that write access is not limited there. Microsoft should never have allowed 3rd party write access to the registry, but the damage has been done. . .
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #313  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman-- Send a message via Skype™ to --Fragman--

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMR1 View Post
Well C is the main partition on almost all pcs. So why would someone make that partition as small as that Windows has barely place on it?
Plus, what are you doing with all your apps? (E.g. Photoshop, Icq, etc.), they're supposed to land in the C:\Program Files dir.

Edit: Eeeqh, you can't even upgrad your RAM, even if you want to. If Crysis patch overfills your C drive (Crysis patch: ~200 MB) your not able to upgrade RAM as it would enlarge your C:\pagefile.sys to totally overfill your drive.
You are probably talking about hiberfil.sys, which is used for hibernation. Pagefile doesn't have to be the size of your RAM.

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #314  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

General rule is to set pagefile to 1.5x the installed RAM, but that is hardly valid anymore with systems having up to 12 GBs of RAM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #315  
Supreme Commander

Ahh, forgot that you can change the size of it. I thought, because pagefile is the size of your RAM (I have 4 GB physically but only 3.5 GB can be used so pagefile.sys is 3.5GB) it always has to be that size.
Also hiberfil.sys doesn't have to be the size of your RAM, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
General rule is to set pagefile to 1.5x the installed RAM, but that is hardly valid anymore with systems having up to 12 GBs of RAM.
That rule's old. As long as you are not using software that takes massive amount of RAM (video editing, perhaps gaming, though I nevered saw any game using more than 1.2 GB of RAM on my pc) you should be fine with a pagefile equally to your RAM size.
If you have less than 1024MB of RAM then that rule is valid, though there aren't that many systems out there having that less RAM.

Last edited by XMR1; 09-03-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #316  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMR1 View Post
A single Crysis patch took 2 GB of space from my C:\ drive.

I had to manually delete the temp files afterwards...

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #317  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

It is a good idea to have decent space on the C:\ partition for this reason, the drive I use for Windows is a 69.2 GB, 10k RPM WD Raptor.

Another reason to have a spacy C:\ partition/drive is UT3 if you like custom content.
(Epic Games not making the location of custom content optional is an Epic Fail)
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #318  
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
A single Crysis patch took 2 GB of space from my C:\ drive.

I had to manually delete the temp files afterwards...
We're both talking about Crysis (1) patch Crysis_Patch_1_2.exe? It has 400 MB. Can't believe it would go up to 2 GB when extracted.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #319  
Finzy Corp. CEO

It does. I was pretty surprised as well, it must've been compressed very tightly to fit in.

But yeah, I can confirm it ate up 2 GB (and probably more, my space ran out so I couldn't finish the install).

Quote:
Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #320  
Ugh-Zan III

Ok i'll ask this.
How will the props work in game? Will it be easy to import models/props from 3rd party apps (maya, max,...), and make your own set of props,which you can upload so that users can easily use it? Any word how exactly will that work?

>not fit for big game dev
>works for Ubisoft on AssCreed
Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #321  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco[CoF] View Post
I think you will find the new OpenGL not so disappointing any longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYGIXLdn5uw
For the record, that is OpenGL 2.1. No one is using OpenGL 3.2 for games yet because the support just isn't there.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:58 AM   #322  
Gnaar

range2rust is offline Send a message via AIM to range2rust

I just did a quick scan, not sure if this has been addressed, but it bothers me enough to go ahead and post anyway...

I have been at PAX the past three days, and got to play Serious Sam HD on both PC and Xbox. One thing I noticed was how SLOW you moved. I'm not sure about PC, but on xbox there was absolutely no run toggle to be found. It wasn't quite as slow as walking in the original (I don't think anyway), but it was almost painful to play. I was expecting the same fast paced game play I'm used to and was caught by surprise. Is this on purpose, or is this something being worked on? Please tell me it is being worked on...

Everything else seemed great, but this impacted the game play enough for me to have second thoughts on this whole thing, especially considering how damn big those levels are!
Thanks

Last edited by range2rust; 09-07-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #323  
PASGETTI!

Maybe the level size is what threw you off. It doesn't look any slower than SS1 in the trailers. Why not try playing SS 1 and see if it seems any slower or faster?

Anyway, what can you tell us about the game itself? What's new in it? Judging by the screenshots, it looks like the beheaded rocketeers have a melee buzzsaw attack and the bombers some kind of a melee spike attack. Is that correct? Also, how's the physics? It looks like it has ragdolls? What about dynamic lighting? Which level did you play? Which weapons did you have? Speak man, speak! None of us got to go, so we'd like to get some information.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #324  
Khnum

You are right Gimli. The running speed is exactly the same as in SS:FE. And it is same on PC and Xbox. There is no run toggle, because "always run" is always on. That's the way it was in SS:FE. You can go slower on xbox if you press the gamepad lightly, but that's mostly a useless option.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:25 AM   #325  
Khnum

Erm, hey, this is gonna be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it since it bothers me...

The gloves. Serious Sam's gloves. Look on the SSHD website the new look of Serious Sam (videos part of the site), look at his gloves, closely. Then look at his gloves from first person perspective (see lots of SSHD screenshots, it's easy to find).

Fix that. Please. (and the way he handles the minigun)

Last edited by Purple Psycho Sandwich; 09-08-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #326  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
Maybe the level size is what threw you off. It doesn't look any slower than SS1 in the trailers. Why not try playing SS 1 and see if it seems any slower or faster?

Anyway, what can you tell us about the game itself? What's new in it? Judging by the screenshots, it looks like the beheaded rocketeers have a melee buzzsaw attack and the bombers some kind of a melee spike attack. Is that correct? Also, how's the physics? It looks like it has ragdolls? What about dynamic lighting? Which level did you play? Which weapons did you have? Speak man, speak! None of us got to go, so we'd like to get some information.
I'm not sure what it was. I posted in the xbox forums and a developer who answered my question assured me there is absolutely no difference. *shrug

It was just the Karnak demo. I had knife, colts, shotgun, coach gun, and rocket launcher. The models of all of them have been tweaked a bit I believe, but the shotgun stuck out the most (perhaps because that was what I used the most). Looked very beefy and harmful to others. I like.

I never actually got all that close to any enemies besides ones that always had standard melee attacks (kleer, gnaar, arachnoid, werebull). All of the beheaded characters do have some sort if object rammed into their stump (except for kamikazes), like buzz saws, spikes, etc. but I don't remember them doing anything other than looking cool. I saw firecrackers with a chainsaw, and I heard a sound effect for one if I remember correctly, but don't think I got close enough to get damaged.

The physics and lighting I'm sorry to say I wasn't paying attention to specifically. The speed illusion I was getting really threw me off and I just kind of forgot to really check that stuff out. It looked beautiful and played pretty much exactly like the original, despite the previously mentioned issue. What I do remember is the animation being really well done. Much more believable movements from all characters I saw, although the arachnoid still kind of seemed rigid, from what I remember.

Oh, and I might be thinking of another game, but I think at one point I slammed a few extra shells into a dead enemy on the ground and had some pleasing results!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #327  
Mental

Deepblue is offline Steam ID: Deepblue_Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ball Devil View Post
Erm, hey, this is gonna be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask it since it bothers me...

The gloves. Serious Sam's gloves. Look on the SSHD website the new look of Serious Sam (videos part of the site), look at his gloves, closely. Then look at his gloves from first person perspective (see lots of SSHD screenshots, it's easy to find).
The gloves on the version of Sam on the Website are possibly the final design.
While screenshots have older versions.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #328  
PASGETTI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by range2rust View Post
I'm not sure what it was. I posted in the xbox forums and a developer who answered my question assured me there is absolutely no difference. *shrug
Judging by the post on the Xbox forum, it looks like Alen Ladavac - the one who posted two posts above you here.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #329  
Gnaar

Oh, and I forgot to mention, at least for those of us on xbox, There is a very well done weapon selection tool via the d-pad. Each direction holds 3 weapons or so and made for very fast pickin' once you knew where the weapons are held. Best weapon menu, in a game with so many weapons, I have seen yet.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #330  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Croteam know what they're doing, no surprise there.