Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  

Default All the news articles quote this as being a remake of the First Encounter, but...

...we're seeing screenshots from the Second Encounter as well. So what is it? SS1 in its entirety (FE and SE), or is the Second Encounter going to be released some time after the First Encounter?
Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

Default Re: All the news articles quote this as being a remake of the First Encounter, but...

FE is coming out first, then it's SE.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  

Default Re: All the news articles quote this as being a remake of the First Encounter, but...

Where did you hear that? None of the articles I've seen mentions that at all. Some of them don't even mention the First Encounter, instead calling it just Serious Sam 1 (which obviously is FE + SE combined).
Old 06-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

We got some information from Roman Ribaric. This was one of those things. So basically: FE HD, followed by SE HD, followed by SS 3.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Meh, wish they would release the HD games in a package. Despite this I will of course buy all 3 upcoming games.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
We got some information from Roman Ribaric. This was one of those things. So basically: FE HD, followed by SE HD, followed by SS 3.
Yeah, but if the remake of FE is named SS HD, then what are they gonna name the remake of SE?

It was even an issue with FE and SE that people kept refering to SE as SS2, and that didn't get any better when SS2 was finally released. Now add in SS HD and whatever they're gonna call the remake of SE and the majority of the players are gonna be confused as to what on earth they are playing and what to call it.

Edit: Well unless they call it SS HD Part 2 or something equally mundane (ie, what Valve did with HL2).

Last edited by jasser; 06-27-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

They should just call it Serious Sam: Episode 1 & 2.

Last edited by Fiendian; 06-27-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli View Post
Ah, I see. Do you have any information about whether the PC version (which I think is supposed to come later) will be separated as well, or will it be released late enough for both FE and SE to be combined?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else
Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Well, if Second Encounter was DLC and not included in the SSHD package, why would they be showing screenshots of Second Encounter already? And specifically use the Second Encounter shot with the Pumpkin head as a comparison peace between Serious Engine 1 and 3? Doesn't make much sense.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:28 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
PASGETTI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
Ah, I see. Do you have any information about whether the PC version (which I think is supposed to come later) will be separated as well, or will it be released late enough for both FE and SE to be combined?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else
Honestly, I have no idea. The only thing we know is that the PC version will be released later, but not later from what. I assume the order is: FE HD XBLA, FE HD PC, SE HD XBLA, SE HD PC, SS 3. But I am guessing here. I suggest you ask in the Bug-me thread. Like someone said, it would be best if they simply used the same folder, if possible. So if you bought both via digital distribution, when you reinstall you reinstall both at the same time. We'll inquire.

As for naming: Serious Sam HD: Episode 1? I don't know. But in any case, it's episodic, just like FE and SE were.

Edit: This is why we didn't cone out with the information earlier, despite knowing about it about a week before. We wanted to get some questions answered and then release it steadily through news posts. Unfortunately, and like I said a million times, we've been having problems with the web site - the news system is broken as well as half the web site, we're moving to a brand new re-designed site and unfortunately real-life is there. The latter is the biggest problem, because we simply don't have enough time to get everything going quickly. We really, really need help. Unfortunately, there's only 3 of us right now, which is way too little.

Last edited by Gimli; 06-28-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:33 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
******** Digital

The FE vs SE will become clearer soon. Needless to say both are being reworked but how its being delivered to you all is still be worked on.

Hang in there...
Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  

Awesome, thanks for the help, both Gimli and Breedlove.

Either way, I'm likely going to get FE and SE on both Xbox 360 as well as PC.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Guys, the episodic content will be broken up into five distinct downloads to make the filesize more manageable. SSHD1:FE will be SSHD1:FE:EP1 & SSHD1:FE:EP2. Then will come the final level of FE combined with the first part of SE - SSHD1:FE/SE:EP3. After that will be SSHD1:SE:EP4 & SSHD1:SE:EP5. If you prefer, you can buy the boxed set in stores which will also include SSHD2, called SSS (Serious Sam Sudoku).

I suggest we adopt a decimal version system, to further confuse things. Example: SSHD ver:1.2.4. Then, we can tack the engine version number at the end to really throw things in a spin. Or, alternately, we can just mindlessly agree that there is, was and will always be just ONE game called 'Serious Sam'. Any new content is nothing more than recently discovered secret levels.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Um. . . right. . .
Now that you're here, have Croteam asked you to re-voiceact Sam for the HD releases?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
Um. . . right. . .
Now that you're here, have Croteam asked you to re-voiceact Sam for the HD releases?
I haven't re-done any new content for the HD releases, no. However, Croteam still has the masters from my original sessions. They may re-tool the audio, I'm not sure. For all I know, they might throw in some of the unused content from those first sessions. Hell, they may ask me to record some stuff at the last minute. You never know.

On a whim, I did record some stuff the other day just for kicks. I'm gonna send it off to the guys over at Devolver, if they want to use it for promotional fodder. Might be a bit edgy, though. I had a bit of a potty mouth that day. It's up to them if they want to use it or not.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Cool, I sure hope they will re-use the masters with the more modern encoding software of today (for example vorbis has come a long way since 2001). And for the love of god Croteam, use vorbis for sound effects, not wave.

Anyway, if Devolver won't do anything with those edgy recordings, it would be great if you released them to the community.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Quote:
Anyway, if Devolver won't do anything with those edgy recordings, it would be great if you released them to the community.
As I mentioned, the content is a bit questionable. Not sure if they really want quotes floating around out in the wild concerning the things Sam did with your mother the other night (for example).
Old 07-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger View Post
I haven't re-done any new content for the HD releases, no. However, Croteam still has the masters from my original sessions. They may re-tool the audio, I'm not sure. For all I know, they might throw in some of the unused content from those first sessions. Hell, they may ask me to record some stuff at the last minute. You never know.

On a whim, I did record some stuff the other day just for kicks. I'm gonna send it off to the guys over at Devolver, if they want to use it for promotional fodder. Might be a bit edgy, though. I had a bit of a potty mouth that day. It's up to them if they want to use it or not.
I hope they do something though. The voice files sounded pretty stuffy in SS:FE because of what you (or CroTeam) had to use back then.

Also I agree with Fiendian, you need to do more voice packs.
My favorites are the high pitched screams. I've used them in my upcoming SS:SE mappack and they're friggin hilarious.

Plus you have made the odd "swear quote" for SS games before. Remember "You bastards!" in SS:SE?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Guys, the episodic content will be broken up into five distinct downloads to make the filesize more manageable. SSHD1:FE will be SSHD1:FE:EP1 & SSHD1:FE:EP2. Then will come the final level of FE combined with the first part of SE - SSHD1:FE/SE:EP3. After that will be SSHD1:SE:EP4 & SSHD1:SE:EP5. If you prefer, you can buy the boxed set in stores which will also include SSHD2, called SSS (Serious Sam Sudoku).

I suggest we adopt a decimal version system, to further confuse things. Example: SSHD ver:1.2.4. Then, we can tack the engine version number at the end to really throw things in a spin. Or, alternately, we can just mindlessly agree that there is, was and will always be just ONE game called 'Serious Sam'. Any new content is nothing more than recently discovered secret levels.
I'm looking forward most to SSHD First Encounter, episode 3, take 5, version 3.1.6.5 eg. 3, build 75183459.

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

There should definitely be more Sam quotes in HD.

Heck, it's one of the selling points of the game.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:

For some reason, I'm hearing this spoken in one of those hardcore Dirtbike / Monster Truck Rally commercial voices:

Serious Sam HD 1: The First Encounter: Episode 3 - Part 2, Section FOUUURRRRR

You pay for the whole seat but you'll only need the
edge.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
As I mentioned, the content is a bit questionable. Not sure if they really want quotes floating around out in the wild concerning the things Sam did with your mother the other night (for example).
Well, Serious Sam is not exactly a kids game.

And I agree with Deeps, I adore the high pitch screaming. My favorite Sam quote of all time is "Who da man!? Who da man!? I da man, YEAH! Woohoo, yeah, wow, wooo, ROAAAARRR- *cough* uh *cough*. . . err, sorry."
Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  

My favorite quotes, that I can remember off the top of my head (Most of these came from the voice packs)

"Good? Bad? I'm the one with the gun."
"Come and play with me, pretty cows."
"May the force... of the rocket blow you up"
"See what happens when you move in front of my gun?"

There were a lot of good ones, but those were some of the ones I ended up using in my levels.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Awww... Thanks for the love, guys. Now I feel bad that I didn't do more voice packs for ya. To be honest, I didn't really think they got used much.

And, yeah, Sam has said a few bad words. He's never really unleashed the full fury of his military herritage vocally, though. Actually, he's pulled back a bit. Remember the quote 'two heads are better than one, but how does it fart'? That was originally 'how does it shit?'.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:17 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

That's pretty interesting, who decided to ditch the shit and go with a fart?
Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Quote:
That's pretty interesting, who decided to ditch the shit and go with a fart?
Don't remember who actually made the call, if it was Croteam or Gotham Games.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

That was one part of the game that was very unique with alot of fun factor. One actually got to hear Sam, the character one is playing. I guess that could be overdone but in Serious Sam at abrupt times Sam's one liners came across and it really made the game that much more fun. Well booger I sure hope Croteam does use anything previous recorded that fits and better yet new stuff. Maybe a telephone conversation with Duke Nuked . Which was so funny in FE and yet so true today but more so. Sam just Duked the Nuked in the long run and made him retire.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Revolutionary

KILLIGULA is offline Send a message via AIM to KILLIGULA

Booger it will be a shame if they don't throw in something as far as new extra voice content. It would really add to the whole package. They just gotta do it. Plus they must know that everyone on these forums will be buying the game, so the better make us happy lol...
Old 07-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

Divx is offline Send a message via AIM to Divx

The PC needs a good blow everything up style game. Would be a good time to come out with a new Sam. (or updated Sam) ... whatever they're doing.