Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD > Serious Sam HD Workshop

Serious Sam HD Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam: HD projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #121   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Random questions thread

A RunHandled function is pretty much used for more complex situations, where you want to watch for many events simultaneously and/or have more than one thread of code running at the same time. It is usually constructed of a handler function, first parameter, and handlers for that function. A RunHandled block ceases execution when the handler function reaches its 'end'.

Here's a simple handler function that will spawn enemies every 8 seconds, and different enemies every 6 seconds. That would be harder to do with a simple "Wait(Event(...))" construction, and in some cases almost impossible.

Code:
RunHandled(
  function() -- handled function
    WaitForever() -- this will make the RunHandled function run forever, since WaitForever() prevents it from reaching it's end.
  end, -- note the comma operator(,) after end!

On(Delay(10)), -- handler 1
    function()
      Enemies1:SpawnSimple()
    end,

On(Delay(15)), -- handler 2
    function()
      Enemies2:SpawnSimple()
    end -- note the lack of a comma operator(,) after end!
)
A RunHandled function must always have one handled function, and at least one handler to work.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #122   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous View Post
A RunHandled function is pretty much used for more complex situations, where you want to watch for many events simultaneously and/or have more than one thread of code running at the same time. It is usually constructed of a handler function, first parameter, and handlers for that function. A RunHandled block ceases execution when the handler function reaches its 'end'.

Here's a simple handler function that will spawn enemies every 8 seconds, and different enemies every 6 seconds. That would be harder to do with a simple "Wait(Event(...))" construction, and in some cases almost impossible.

Code:
RunHandled(
  function() -- handled function
    WaitForever() -- this will make the RunHandled function run forever, since WaitForever() prevents it from reaching it's end.
  end, -- note the comma operator(,) after end!

On(Delay(10)), -- handler 1
    function()
      Enemies1:SpawnSimple()
    end,

On(Delay(15)), -- handler 2
    function()
      Enemies2:SpawnSimple()
    end -- note the lack of a comma operator(,) after end!
)
A RunHandled function must always have one handled function, and at least one handler to work.
Mischievous, correct me if I'm wrong, but your code will spawn enemies only once for every handler. You need to use OnEvery(<condition>) to have monsters spawning continuously.

And to give an example of where you really can't do it without RunHandled(...) construction... Well, the very first secret of the game (SS3, I mean) would be good example here: it is triggered only when the second gnaar on the roof is killed with the shotgun, and not with melee. Can you do this with a simple coding? Even if you can, it will be extremely hard.
RunHandled(...) on the other hand, allows you to pass event information into the handlers ( function(smth) instead of function() ). In the case of the secret mentioned above, smth has CDiedScriptEvent type and will contain the information about who killed the gnaar and how, and the code for the secret activation will be clean and simple.

Also, what Mischievous forgot to mention explicitly, you shouldn't use Wait(...) construction for handlers' activators inside RunHandled(...) as it will never work like you want it to. You have to use On(...) instead.

------------------------

EDIT: for the things that must really be ran in async, there is a separate construction: RunAsync(...). It acts a lot like RunHandled(...), but for every player the code inside RunAsync(...) will be ran separately. I so far know only two places where this construction is used: on the "Summer in Cairo" level and on the "Lost temples of Nubia" level, when the player gets up from the ground. There might be more of these, but I haven't found those yet (not that I'm looking for those purposely)

Last edited by NHunter; 04-15-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #123   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

works like a charm XD thanks alot nhunter, its hillarious hahaha
but now it just simply appears, is it hard to make that spawn animation? you know that ripping space/displacing effect when enemy appears

nevermind it does play it, maybe i didnt notice it

Last edited by Qynchou; 04-15-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #124   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qynchou View Post
works like a charm XD thanks alot nhunter, its hillarious hahaha
but now it just simply appears, is it hard to make that spawn animation? you know that ripping space/displacing effect when enemy appears
Unlike SS1 / SS1: HD, in SS3 there is no obvious/any spawn animation for the items. And I'm not sure that you can add a normal one without resorting to placing some particle effects (SpaceshipWarpIn (or whatever it is called, too lazy to look it up), I think, will be the closest one to what you would want; don't forget to scale it down).
If you decide to use particle effects, you should remember two things: your effect should be controlled by "game scripting", and you in your script you should make the animation play once (I think it will be effect : Play(). if you need looping animation for the particle effect, you will need to use effect : PlayLooping() instead)

---------------------

EDIT 1: you can try playing around with item's *.ep file - it might contain the field for spawn animation

EDIT 2: It does play something? really?

Last edited by NHunter; 04-15-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #125   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Woops, yes you are right, I forgot to add OnEvery, On(Event(..)) will just execute the handler only once.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #126   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

when i face them when therye spawning it shows animation, if they spawn behind my back they just appear, no spawn sound
gonna work on the level xD gonna try and bring back some feel from classics

edit: well im a noob especially when it comes to coding or stuff like this, can anyone tell me how to seperate 2 different functions? as in if i want to have 2 seperate spawn on pick commands in the script, 2 different items

Last edited by Qynchou; 04-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #127   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
when i face them when therye spawning it shows animation, if they spawn behind my back they just appear, no spawn sound
gonna work on the level xD gonna try and bring back some feel from classics

edit: well im a noob especially when it comes to coding or stuff like this, can anyone tell me how to seperate 2 different functions? as in if i want to have 2 seperate spawn on pick commands in the script, 2 different items
Hm... I don't have any anim. But that may be because I'm running the game (and editor) on the lowest possible graphical settings (my videochip is only 128 MB). Maybe on higher settings there is some eye-candy.

Now onto the in-edit question... Just have two separate handlers for those pick events:

Code:
RunHandled(

function()
    WaitForever()
  end,

On(Any(Event(item1.Picked), Event(item1.FailedPick))),
  function()
    -- add some stuff that happens when first item is picked here
  end,

On(Any(Event(item2.Picked), Event(item2.FailedPick))),
  function()
    -- add some stuff that happens when second item is picked here
  end

)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #128   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHunter View Post
Hm... I don't have any anim. But that may be because I'm running the game (and editor) on the lowest possible graphical settings (my videochip is only 128 MB). Maybe on higher settings there is some eye-candy.

Now onto the in-edit question... Just have two separate handlers for those pick events:

Code:
RunHandled(

function()
    WaitForever()
  end,

On(Any(Event(item1.Picked), Event(item1.FailedPick))),
  function()
    -- add some stuff that happens when first item is picked here
  end,

On(Any(Event(item2.Picked), Event(item2.FailedPick))),
  function()
    -- add some stuff that happens when second item is picked here
  end

)
Thanks, Mischievous helped me on that aswell, it works

edit: would it be possible to get some sound schemes from FE/TSE? or are they incompatible with sed3?

also how to disable/reduce snapping?

edit2:nevermind, figured out xD

Last edited by Qynchou; 04-16-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #129   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Erm i got a couple of questions
Why are my werebulls so smart? (lol) its like some of them i can dodge but quite alot of them dont run pass me, instead they just turn while attacking, or chuck me into the air and continue to bash me from below while im still flying
Another thing, is there a command to force ambient music? Like theres "War" "Fight" is there something like "Ambient"?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #130   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Erm i got a couple of questions
Why are my werebulls so smart? (lol) its like some of them i can dodge but quite alot of them dont run pass me, instead they just turn while attacking, or chuck me into the air and continue to bash me from below while im still flying
Another thing, is there a command to force ambient music? Like theres "War" "Fight" is there something like "Ambient"?
Hm... Yes, werebulls sometimes do the things you've described. And unless you want to experiment with Character Behaviors (*.cb) files to change how they attack, there is nothing you can do about this.

As for the music.
Ambient - it's default music that sounds always. You can just set it in the WorldInfo entity (press N (shows the list of all entities on the map) and search for the entity with id 0, should be at the end of the list). You can set both Exploration (no monsters around) and Fight (monsters nearby that see you/you see them) music there as well, but I, honestly, recommend using Zone Controller entities for this purpose, as this will allow you to set different themes for different parts of your map.
War music - normally it's not played (you have Fight music) and to play it on your map, you need to use scripts. Thankfully, those are simple:
Code:
worldInfo:ForceMusic("War")
-- worldInfo is a default environment variable and you don't need to initialize it in any way. just type it correctly
You can also force other musics. You can also have the engine play some sounds that are not registered as Ambient/Exploration/Fight/War anywhere, but I've never done this, so I can't tell you how to do that properly. (of course, you can use static sound entity and make it play sounds you want through scripts)

Last edited by NHunter; 04-17-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #131   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

On official maps, "Ambient" music is used for environmental sound effects, like wind and such.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #132   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

thanks alot, ill try this now and i already added some sounds with scripting, its awesome xD
those werebulls, it seems like players are controlling them xD, sometimes u just get like 5 second airtime and theres not much you can do except for whipping out a cannon
btw in test mode does the game run on normal difficulty?

the map im making itself feels really weird, at least for me, since im making a thing that i missed on Sam3
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #133   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

yes, test runs use normal difficulty by default, but, I read somewhere that you can change this - unfortunately, I don't remember how

VERY OFFTOPIC question: did anyone here work with ASP.NET? I need some consultation about web.config files

--------------------------

EDIT: here's the article about how to change difficulty settings for test runs in editor [link]. It's in russian, but the pictures there should be enough to understand what's going on. just note that the settings you've set with these extra parameters will work until you delete them (or change)

Last edited by NHunter; 04-17-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #134   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

I can render a movie? How does that work, and thanks, ill try to beat my whole level on serious, if i can do it, then its balanced xD
Old 04-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #135   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
I can render a movie? How does that work, and thanks, ill try to beat my whole level on serious, if i can do it, then its balanced xD
No, I don't think that it's a movie in the meaning we're using everyday. But, oh well, platform terminology can be strange sometimes...
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #136   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

I see, anyways how can i set up war music? I mean how can i set it up so specifically an area would trigger war music? Or attacking mob or i dont even know really xD i guess it should be an area.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #137   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
I see, anyways how can i set up war music? I mean how can i set it up so specifically an area would trigger war music? Or attacking mob or i dont even know really xD i guess it should be an area.
On my map(s) I use war music during especially 'great' fights, so I time to start it when the monsters are getting close.
Of course, you can force it for other reasons, like entering a certain area, but do note that, like it is with the fight music, the game will revert to exploration music soon, if there are no monsters around (by default, after 20 seconds).
To solve this problem (reverting to exploration music), you can just set what you want for the war music as the exploration music of a certain area with zone controller entity.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #138   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Easier way to force whatever music you want is to use this:

worldInfo:ForceMusic("Continuous",YourMusic)

Where YourMusic is a variable you set in the script entity's properties (as Resource). Then you can activate the music when a player walks into a detector area for instance or pretty much exactly when you want. No need to use zone controllers, war music or anything. It will play the chosen music forever until it is told to stop.

Then when the fight is over you can revert it back to peaceful music with this:

worldInfo:ForceMusic("Exploration")

It's also better because zone controllers tend to override and play over any existing music set in worldinfo, so you'd need to zone controller the entire map.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #139   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

is there a command to stop music?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #140   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Try using a blank variable. Alternatively, an "empty" sound file (with just silence) would work just as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #141   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

A question to all lua guru: how can I set up several monsters (4 entities, 25 spawnees each) as a single boss? Or this is impossible?
At least, as far as I remember, it's possible to set multiple spawnees entity as boss.

Before anyone suggest this, such code doesn't work:
Code:
-- kleers : CLeggedCharacterEntity
local kleers = Kleers -- Kleers is a group variable for 4 entities
worldInfo:RegisterBoss(kleers, "")
gives the following error:
Code:
 Lua error: [Script entity id = 4925 (FinalFightScript)]:53: Invalid argument (1)! Object table expected!
 Lua stack traceback:
     [C]: in function RegisterBoss
     [Script entity id = 4925 (FinalFightScript)]:53: in function <[Script entity id = 4925 (FinalFightScript)]:33>
-----------------------------------

EDIT: For some reason, if I change the code to the following:
Code:
-- kleers : CLeggedCharacterEntity
local kleers = Kleers -- Kleers is a group variable for 4 entities
worldInfo:RegisterBoss(kleers, "some_text_here")
There is no error anymore, but still there is no health bar that I want to have.

Last edited by NHunter; 04-18-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #142   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I don't think that you can register multiple enemies. But you can try to make a main enemy, hide it, set that as a boss, and then damage it when the normal enemies are killed.
Or you can think of a sort of text effect that prints out one less bar every time you kill an enemy.
You can control the text it outputs so it boils down to removing characters from a string.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #143   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous View Post
I don't think that you can register multiple enemies. But you can try to make a main enemy, hide it, set that as a boss, and then damage it when the normal enemies are killed.
Or you can think of a sort of text effect that prints out one less bar every time you kill an enemy.
You can control the text it outputs so it boils down to removing characters from a string.
I tried it like you've suggested: I created a hidden character that is ignored in statistics, and set its health to #enemies that are the boss de facto. Every time one of those is killed, I inflict 1 damage to the hidden character.
like this:
Code:
<...> -- code that is irrelevant to the problem at hand
-- kleer : CLeggedCharacterEntity
    local kleer = hidden_kleer:SpawnSimpleNow()
    kleer:SetHealth(100)
    worldInfo:RegisterBoss(kleer, "skeletons")
  end,

-- damaging the boss | 1 hp per every real kleer killed
OnEvery(Any(Events(Kleers.OneKilled))),
  function()
    hidden_kleer:InflictDamage(1)
  end
Now I get the proper health bar, but it's not decreasing with enemies killed for some reason (the damage to the hidden character is really inflicted). Any ideas?

Last edited by NHunter; 04-18-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #144   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

I believe the filters in your OnEvery statement need to be in order:
Code:
OnEvery(Event(Any(Kleers.OneKilled))),
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #145   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
I believe the filters in your OnEvery statement need to be in order:
Code:
OnEvery(Event(Any(Kleers.OneKilled))),
No, I've the correct order - it works. kinda. I mean, the function is called every time a kleer is killed (checked with print(<...>) function; hp's are taken from the hidden_kleer puppet as well). The problem is lack of change in the 'healthbar' - it stays there showing 100%, even when I've cleared all of the normal enemies.

I think this is because the puppet is damaged through the script and not by the player, but I may be mistaken here.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #146   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

OK, problem solved. And the solution was actually pretty simple, stupidly so actually.

Code:
-- kleer : CLeggedCharacterEntity
local kleer = hidden_kleer -- keep this guy somewhere far away
-- do note that if you have it with spawner attached
-- the code WILL be bugged and may not work

RunHandled(
<...> -- unrelated code
-- now we make the boss
    kleer:SetHealth(100)
    worldInfo:RegisterBoss(kleer, "skeletons")
  end,

-- damaging the boss | 1 hp per every real kleer killed
OnEvery(Any(Events(Kleers.OneKilled))),
  function()
    kleer:InflictDamage(1)
  end
)

Last edited by NHunter; 04-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #147   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

can someone tell me how i can set up a boss monster health bar?
nevermind, figured it out xD

Last edited by Qynchou; 04-19-2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #148   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I do I match the crumbs to a certain texture? if, for example I want to the crumbs to appear only on a a grass texture?
I set the size mask of the crumbs entity to the mask texture of the terrain, but the crumbs seem to be ordered in the form of the grass texture, but they are way to the left, I mean -

crumb crumb
-----, ------ , grass, grass

instead of

crumb crumb
grass, grass
Old 04-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #149   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I'd be grateful if someone could answer the question above ^
and tell me how to resize the paint brush in the Paint/Displace mode.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #150   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Below where you access the Paint/Displace mode in the sidebar, there's another tool that you can use to resize the paint brush.

Dunno about the crumbs, because I still can't really figure it out how that works.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.