Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Default Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [BETA 0.50 out now!!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Also, I could upload it as well, but I think it should be done by the maker of the map, aka Misch.
Oh, thanks. But I'm really pissed off due to shitfront, I spend whole night and try to finger out what's wrong with my SS3/Exception installation, verify my SS3 2 times and still doesn't work...

......what the hell?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
Also, I could upload it as well, but I think it should be done by the maker of the map, aka Misch.
You mean models?

I'll ask Mischievous if I can upload it to MediaFire, and will post a link here if I can.

Player Lin, it isn't your installation or the game so don't bother wasting any more of your time. Just wait till I get a new download link up please. Those two maps won't load without the NPC pack.

EDIT: Actually screw it, I'm sure he would agree and I can always delete the link later, so I'm uploading the NPC pack to MediaFire now.

Last edited by Finzy; 04-30-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Player Lin, it isn't your installation or the game so don't bother wasting any more of your time. Just wait till I get a new download link up please. Those two maps won't load without the NPC pack.
Yeah, but it already too late. After I tried those, then I decided to check the readme file of your mod. And noticed you didn't attached the pack to the mappack files...
Then I check the thread of Mischievous's NPCs pack...and only ShitFront's download link......

*sigh*
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Here you go:

Mischievous NPCs

If you still have problems let me know, maybe I can slip the NPC pack into a future patch or something.

Last edited by Finzy; 04-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Thanks a lot, now they loads. But don't have time to play now... :\
Old 05-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Cool, Finzy, will try it out properly, when I have time (blame my university and the approaching exams)
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Would appreciate some more feedback and thoughts. So far Solais, Player Lin and Da Doom Man have given me some input, but the more the better. We could also run a full multiplayer session with this sometime, since I only tested it in MP with Da Doom Man on Steam so far.

I'm also going to start working on my marketing campaign shortly so I can get more people playing this. Expect to see a trailer sometime (can't say soon, can I?).
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Would appreciate some more feedback and thoughts.
Well, here you go, man.

I'll skip the first level as I'm sure that you already know everything about it (though, thanks for fixing TRANSERROR - it was just bugging my eyes)... Oh, you might want to adjust the distances for the objects fade out - it's rather funny to see the bouncer-lift and not the cube it's next to.

now onto Madness Begins:
Anyway, those boxes at the end of room part of the second level that you can't go through yet rockets can were really the death for me, and the mass of kamikazes didn't help much. Even on Normal beating this place was a pain in the ass. Same can be said about kamikaze + mechs in the techno-world, though those are secret-spawned, so I see little problem with them (actually, I have found only 6 out of 9 secrets there so far).
Another thing that might need to be adjusted is the credits at the end: some of them are either too long for a single line, or just too long (you can't really read them all properly before they fade out - I don't really know how to fix this, but might want to switch to using text effects like CT does at the beginning of the first level).
Finally, it might be a good idea to balance the monster spawner locations a bit because at the moment it's either huge masses that are troublesome to kill all at once, or there is nothing trying to kill you... But this is just my rant, so may not even listen to it.

Well, this is all for now, will post some more, once I do more in-depth study of your creation.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Loner Wiener

Thanks for summing up some of my issues with the map (unintentionally) Hunter.

Also you should add a smidge of extra ambient light is the secret area with the power armor because I had trouble seeing the Biomechs there.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Thanks. I didn't see much problem with the difficulty personally, I thought it was more like too easy and was worried that the secret armor fight was too easy as well (it was supposed to be sort of a "ultimate challenge" fight that's difficult to beat, anyway, so I think it's fine as you said). Am I just that good of a player...? I played the map on hard without the ammo bonus from the first level and thought it was easy, had a much harder time with Croteam ones. The only thing I'd do is make the rifles on carrots part more difficult, so I'm not going to touch map balance just yet unless people think it's completely undoable. (Which it really shouldn't be, there are always ways to fill you up to health / ammo, be it secrets or pickups)

I'm aware of the boxes, they only have barriers around them so rockets can pass through. I'll have to give them invisible models with collision later I guess, or model my own boxes (Croteam didn't include collision for a lot of their models in SS3 so I had to improvise). I wasn't planning on making the player use them for cover however, that's why rocketeers spawn behind you to interrupt you but it's not an optimal solution. Focus fire the scrapjacks down with rockets (and/or the sniper from the secret) and there should be no problem.

"Masses of enemies" or "nothing trying to kill you" is intentional, when there is a fight you can expect it to be big most of the time, that's how I intended it. Then there are relaxing parts where you just wander around and have time to look for secrets or just immerse yourself in the level. I didn't want the player to be constantly harassed by enemies all the time, the only part where that happens (briefly) is in the war zone when you go down the floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Doom Man
Also you should add a smidge of extra ambient light is the secret area with the power armor because I had trouble seeing the Biomechs there.
Can do. Although it's intentionally dark.

Last edited by Finzy; 05-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #41   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
I'm aware of the boxes, they only have barriers around them so rockets can pass through. I'll have to give them invisible models with collision later I guess, or model my own boxes (Croteam didn't include collision for a lot of their models in SS3 so I had to improvise). I wasn't planning on making the player use them for cover however, that's why rocketeers spawn behind you to interrupt you but it's not an optimal solution. Focus fire the scrapjacks down with rockets (and/or the sniper from the secret) and there should be no problem.

"Masses of enemies" or "nothing trying to kill you" is intentional, when there is a fight you can expect it to be big most of the time, that's how I intended it. Then there are relaxing parts where you just wander around and have time to look for secrets or just immerse yourself in the level. I didn't want the player to be constantly harassed by enemies all the time, the only part where that happens (briefly) is in the war zone when you go down the floors.
I see... Still, yeah, some collisions for the boxes would be nice: otherwise it's just too confusing - I died twice before I understood how (scrapjacks shot me through the boxes).
As for the hordes/no-one to kill... well, if you think that this is how it should be, then leave it as it is. This is something I don't really have any problems with.

As for difficulties... well, first, don't deny that you have a great advantage of knowing what to expect and where from. This already put you a head above anyone else with the similar skill... And won't even try to pretend to be as good as you are. + my laptop is only so powerful...
Old 05-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #42   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I did test the map with and without secrets and adjusted it accordingly to that (so I'd have almost the same experience as a new player). For instance in the fight before the Scrapjacks, I placed rocket ammo purposedly under that ramp for players who didn't go to the
2nd Cloud secret
, so they could still stock up. But like said I'll adjust later if more people think so.

About the credits btw, forgot to mention, they're just temporary and will be moved to a later spot with better editing. I'll see if I can increase the lenght of their on-screen time.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #43   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

If you really need the credits to stay longer, use something like this:
Code:
  worldInfo:AddTextEffectToAllPlayers(Resource, string)
-- Resource is a text effect preset (by default in /Content/SeriousSam3/Presets/TextEffects/)
-- you can edit it to be whatever you need, and then save the edited version to your level folder
-- string is simply the text you want to display. just don't forget to add "TTRS.<whatever>="
-- before the actual text to display
This will let you keep the text on the screen for as long as you need (in my own maps' credits (finally did those), I'm using values like 34 seconds for some text)
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

How awesome!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #45   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Made a "little" 2 min trailer for the mappack!

YouTube Video: Exception Mappack Trailer

(Also featured in the first post)

Last edited by Finzy; 05-20-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

The Good:
All

The Bad:
Nothing

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #47   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

And the Ugly?

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Quote:
And the Ugly?
Me :]

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #49   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Ok, I now it's a bit late but I tried this. And I have to say that it's, quite simply put, AMAZING. I mean, it looks extremely polished, details are everywhere, and the number of enemies goes nearly over the last map of BFE campaign. There is some great scripting implemented, and the secrets are actually fun to find, unlike in the default campaign. It looks really great, and I hope that you will not let this die! Good luck! Rating: 10/10 Tagline: "Impossible! xD"

-"WAAAAAAAAAR! (music starts)"-
Old 06-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #50   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Thanks Pablo, that cheered me up. I'm away on a "vacation" right now (while part time working on top of that), so I haven't done any progress on my maps, once I get back home I'll release a beta for Glade of Dreams and then (likely) resume working on Exception. I haven't forgotten about it just yet, got quite a few neat ideas in store if I ever get around to implementing them that is...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #51   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Smile Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [Alpha v.0.25 out now!!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post
Oh god, I'll try it... but I'm the worst beta-tester in the world.
Im going to test this beta right now and not only that make a let's play out of it. ill upload the video within tomorrow. US Pacific time. Mean While come and check out my youtube channel if you want i just started doing Serious Sam 3 Let's Plays. and will be uploaded shortly.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #52   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Default Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [BETA 0.50 out now]

Awesome, looking forward to it. Be sure to post a link here once it's up. Haven't been working on Exception much as I've had other projects, so the beta should still stay valid for a good time.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #53   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

This is now available on the Steam workshop!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=106819080

I haven't done any changes to it though save for updating the player models to their Serious Fantasy versions.

Unsure if I'll continue this mappack, been working on so many other stuffs, so you can consider this the final version for now.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #54   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Subscribed! Though when we played SF:L it got stuck at 99%
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #55   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

It won't go to 100% until you return to the main menu and it asks you to restart the game.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #56   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Quote:
It won't go to 100% until you return to the main menu and it asks you to restart the game.
It was still stuck
Old 11-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #57   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

kinda liked that crazy map style, i think nettie took too much pills =P
Old 11-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #58   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Did I hear the word BETA?!? Must... BETA... HUNT...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #59   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Since the map was an overwhelming success on the workshop and I got numerous requests to continue it...well, I finally decided to resume working on it.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i434/FunkyFinzy/ExceptionSeason2Banner.jpg

For progress reports keep an eye out on my showcase thread, there are already some screenshots there.

Can't say yet when the full thing will be done. At least a few months I suppose.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #60   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

thats awesome,i was sure exception was dead,happy to know that i will get to see the end