Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Default Serious Sam 3: BFE Speedrun by Ryason55

Hey Croteam, I think I broke everything:
YouTube Video: Serious Sam 3: BFE in 44:41

(Do note that the run is recorded as a single segment; as in, the entire game in one run without loading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Description
About freaking time I got around to this. This isn't the most successful run, but it's the only run I've managed so far that actually completed the game without dying or screwing up a critical jump. My goal was to get this out before the Jewel of the Nile DLC came out... and I decided to wait until I had 3 days left (1 of which would be spent uploading the stupid thing) to actually get it done. Fun times. I kinda don't want to submit this run though. Really don't like how badly I screwed up in The Gaurdian of Time...

(Note that the timing is based off the time shown the frame before each level ends. The times shown in the stat screen between levels may differ by a second due to not including the time during cutscenes.)

Please be sure to check out the level notes here:
[You're on the page; See below]

I'll probably try the run again at some point later to see if I can get something I want to submit. Also, Jewel of the Nile is coming out, so I'll have to take a look at that to see how speedrunnable it is~

[Record Date: October 14, 2012]
Level notes:

1 - Summer in Cairo (1:38)
Heck with the hammer; we have gnaars. My best time for this level is 1:38, so I'm kind of glad I got that time in this run. Leading the gnaars to that wall usually has varying effects. Sometimes only one will make it. Sometimes the one will use the longer melee attack for the first hit on the wall. On the off occasion, none will make it at all and I'm stuck there thinking, "gee, it would be nice if I could get through this wall".

2 - Into the Spider's Nest (1:54)
I fire the pistol when I first enter the larger room to skip the forced look sequence (where the game makes you look at that spider).
That boss skip is balls to pull off. You have to abuse the "walking support" on your model to stand on the ground behind the invisible wall. It's really only that first jump that's the issue though. This is one of those skips I decided it wasn't worth restarting for (it only saves about 20 seconds over just killing the boss), so getting it this run was pretty great.

3 - Broken Wings (5:17)
Yay, generally useless out-of-bounds skip. You can just barely make it over the invisible wall there. It saves about 7 seconds from the normal route if you pull it off perfectly. Of course, I did kinda botch it once, so that probably wasted a bit of time. Screwing up the jump to get back in-bounds is a run-ender though; there's an invisible wall blocking you from getting back on that pile of rubble. (Really, why IS that invisible wall there of all places?)
The parkour in this city area has probably ended more attempts than anything else past level 1, as there are a total of 5 jumps I can screw up (all of them being run-enders). It seems most of these jumps require you to use your walking support to slightly extend your jump length.
No, that fight area doesn't go any faster. If I have any complaint with the game, it's when the only thing in your way is a very slow trickle of Kleers. So useless.

4 - No Place To Hide (2:09)
Well that wasn't supposed to happen. Um, yeah. It didn't waste too much time though; I just kinda stood there like an idiot for about 5 seconds. And yes, I needed the laser gun for my route.
End trigger for this level is that you kill the boss and hit the touchfield at the end door. In any order.

5 - Under an Iron Cloud (3:04)
That skip is stupid. I can get it pretty much 100% of the time when I'm not recording, but it doesn't like to work when I'm recording. I'm pretty sure it's related to the walking support not catching that part of the wall because of having a lower FPS while recording. I had to lower my settings even lower than they were before to get this to work an acceptable amount of the time while recording.

6 - The Silent Riddler (5:47)
Sandwhale's pretty great, by the way. So easily abusable~
In the fight area, more things are spawned as the rocketeers are killed, so you want to target the rocketeers first and foremost to get everything to spawn faster. This battle can screw over your time if one of the enemies decides to get stuck somewhere.

7 - Unearthing the Sun (2:15)
This level is fun. No unreliable jumps or fight scenes. It uses a glitch I like to call the "Berserk Sandwhale" glitch to get through the sand area.

8 - The Dark Bride (3:23)
I really should've died there while performing more Berserk Sandwhale. I forgot to wait for half-a-second at the end of the wall.

9 - The Power of The Underworld (5:07)
Aren't we supposed to be turning on some Sirian artifacts? Oh whatever. More Sandwhale abuse.
The fight area here is progressed by killing particular enemies. Just kill the 6 things required and the boss spawns.
Also showing off a useless visual glitch that hides the third-person weapon.

10 - The Lost Temples of Nubia (3:17)
Turns out if you're running away from Sandwhale, you have a lot more time to run through the desert.

11 - The Last Man on Earth (6:00)
Throughout this entire run we have never picked up a single key.
For gas can collection, you just need 8 of the 10 gas cans. I collect the further out ones first, as more enemies (including a Witch-Bride) spawn as you collect more gas cans. Near the end, I kinda blanked on where the last gas can I needed was.

12 - The Gaurdian of Time (4:50)
Oh God that wasn't supposed to happen. See, I though Sandwhale had spawned when I went and faced that rock, but it must've been something else rumbling. The goal I had there was to spawn Sandwhale at that position, hold in that area for about 30 seconds, and then climb onto the mountains while Sandwhale was occupied elsewhere. Since Sandwhale hadn't spawned the first time, I was just wasting time (about 1 minute). At least when Sandwhale did spawn, he was going the right way so I could still pull off the skip in somewhat decent time. Skipping the second canyon is actually slower than going through it, but I do it for safety since this is the end of the run. Going through the canyon would involve dodging Werebulls and Khnums; one bounces you around, and the other is instant death if you run into it. I don't trust my luck with that combination.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Serious Sam 3: BFE Speedrun by Ryason55

Impressive!

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

How did croteam not find these, where are those damn barrier fields when you need them????
Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Talk about necroing.

These were actually semi-officially left in the game, so speedrunning is possible if people are clever enough to find them.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

The trim in the museum level is believable with that speedrun secret, but many of those sand whale one's are not.

Wow, made me feel so stupid Ryason.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Impressive!I ll try it out......