Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default game crashes at startup

i bought fear and ss2 at the same time and could not play fear for some reason so i played ss2 and finished it. then after updating my video drivers i was able to play fear, but now i cant get ss2 to work, it starts up and after a couple of intros screens it goes back to desktop. sometimes it will actually go to the main menu for ss2 but the words and pictures are all fragmented and pixelated so you cant read or tell whats going on. i did get a message one time that said "sam2.exe application error the inst. at 0x7c91201e referenced memory at oxl2a95f8. the memory could not be read." anyway i deceided to uninstall it and reinstall it which i did to no avail, same thing. i read in the forum that there was a patch so i downloaded the patch and again same thing. im not sure what to do now hope someone can help me thanks.
dell dimension 8300
pent 4 3.0 ghz
ati radeon 9800 pro agp
510 mb ram
direct x 9.0c
creative sb live series
Old 12-25-2005, 05:55 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

That looks like your video memory, you may want try tweeking the setting in the game proper, if you have over clocked or modded the bios put them back to ther defaults.

what you describe sounds to me like the card is stressed or overheating so you may want to consider more cooling for your case as well.
If your card is at the defaults a simple test, remove the case side panel and place a small fan directly aimed at the video card preferably the heat sink side and see if it improves, if thats the case and the card improves it could be a sign of a failing card or card fan so look to see if the cards fan is working too, also turn off the PC and unplug it touch the case before removeing the card, find a clean paint brush and give the fan and heatsink a good cleanning if its dirty it may also require some disassembling to remove the cover over the fan.

I hope its a simple thing thing good luck.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how do I update my video driver?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
ZEN
roll'n ana stroll'n

Not at all I hear it quite a bit.

Some cards need the be updated from the people that made the card the disk that came with it should provide you with the net address to do so or just do a search in your bowser to go to the site there should be an "update" or "downloads" or "support"tab somewhere on the page you may have to poke around some.
In most cases the ATI site will have the drivers you need but I recomend you try the cards maufacturer's site first to be sure.

Heres the link for ATI's driver page.
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...e&folderID=293

Its a good idea to save it in favorites and make a folder called updates so you can update later easyer.

Last edited by ZEN; 12-25-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

hi again thanks for the reply. i havent tweeked anything, its as is from dell. i ended up changing what mode it starts in in the properties and it now works. so now i starts in windows 2000 mode as opposed to windows xp. dont ask me how i was just happy to get it to run and i dont notice any differance yet but i havent had a chance to play it thoroughly so well see. i am also going to check and make sure my fans are working too.