Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD > Serious Sam HD Workshop

Serious Sam HD Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam: HD projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #271   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default Re: Random questions thread

Just got home, will take a look soon.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #272   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

All righty Mike. So first thing I noticed was that you had 2 meshes, the Head and the Body. You need to join those 2.

I think I described how to do that but I'll explain again. Right click the body, then press A to select all meshes. One mesh will be yellow and another will be orange. When you see that press CTRL + J to join them into one mesh. You'll know when they're joined when you go into Edit mode and you can edit ALL the polygons properly. So make sure to do that. =>

Secondly, the vertex groups are CASE SENSITIVE. Meaning you need to make sure that when I write L_Shoulder and R_Shoulder that you follow me correctly. If they aren't done right the skeleton and polygons won't match up and your model won't move. So try to do that. ^^

Thirdly, underneath your model was a little circle. As I said in another post you can't have anything that ISNT the model in your blender. It appeared to be an armature data or something. You can find it underneath your model. Delete it, then you can export your .amf without a problem. Hope this helps. If you have more trouble add me on Steam.

Edit: I did those 3 things and the model worked in SED3.5 so give that a try.

Note: When joining 2 meshes make sure you are in object mode.

Last edited by Pan; 03-06-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #273   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

I reached the 3rd part of the tutorial and after positioning the arms and legs I end up getting this problem in SED 3

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/MikeR...ad_problem.png

I am working at the moment to find a way to fix it ,but I would like any suggestions to fixing it as well. I followed the vertex names to the letter on the video. but it still moves with the entire body not moving except the neck somewhat

Edit: found out NONE of my vertices except the left shoulder has no weight to them. thus why my model going out of wack. Is there a way from SED or blender to add weight to the already set up vertices?

Last edited by MikeMurdock; 03-06-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #274   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Looks to me like you didn't rename the vertex groups like I told you to. Remember, case sensitive.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #275   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Well i think i know what the problem is. I did assign them the right names ,but after seeing the video again i noticed you always hit the assign button and i thought it was set it and forget it so i'm assigning the parts right now. i'll post a edit to this post with a update if it was successfull or not

Edit: After messing in blender everything now works , but right when I reach the textures my head texture looks fine ,but then this happen when i was applying the eye and body textures

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/MikeR...ld_my_eyes.png

and

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/MikeR...cts/mybody.png

I somehow can't stop laughing at what happen

Last edited by MikeMurdock; 03-07-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #276   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

sorry for the double post ,but I'm also noticing the mesh arms are looking like my guy trying to hide lumpy potatoes in his arm. All the other parts move fluently ,but the arms is what giving me the problem along with the textures. I solved the eye problem myself by jacking sam's sunglasses so i won't have to see the freaky eyes.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #277   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Did you assign them properly? Do the vertex groups for the Upper and Lower arm match the skeleton? If there are vertices in the wrong area, like too high or low then it can look weird. Also try selecting the polygons and moving them so they are aligned with the skeleton in mesh editor.

Also try putting the right textures on your model, you've not been putting them on correctly. XD
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #278   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

i DID put the right textures on instead of modded ones and it still comes out that way even if I have the normal maps and such for the model. The model's body was a model i extracted from aliens colonial marines using umodel. plus the model is from a Unreal engine based game and I don't know how fondly the serious engine is with unreal based game models

The texture files for the body (that i ripped out using umodel) are

SmartGunnerBody_D.tga
DrakeBody_N.tga
DrakeBody_M.tga

I am going to try putting the files in another file which has DrakeBody_D

Update: I tried with using both skins one on the O'neal body and one on the other body ,but the outcome is still the same the textures derp about . also to addd in these textures are unedited and ripped RIGHT out of the game so maybe i skipped a step that I needed to edit the textures before I put them in?

Last edited by MikeMurdock; 03-09-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #279   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Just finish up the model and get it all finished with the posing and I'll take a look at it before you release it.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #280   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I feel the need to ask again about whether or not anyone reported / is going to report the broken fbx support to Croteam. At least tell me how to do it and I'll pester them with reports. It's a serious problem that shouldn't be hard to fix, seeing how fbx apparently worked a version or several ago.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #281   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, there should have been people to report that bug, those who knows it better than me how that thing works, really. -.-

Anyways, describe the problem again in a easy to understand and elaborate way, along with repro steps, and I'll report it.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #282   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

The problem is that the FBX format support is partially broken. Artificial said that it didn't work for him either so I assume it's not just me. But he said that they worked in the past when he took the exact same steps and the exact same model to import in SED3.5.
In any case, a static model works fine, the UVmap and everything, but the bones and animations break completely. Bones lose their "physical presense" so to speak, their names are still there but they apparently all have zero size and are thrown around randomly, or maybe just to the floor, they don't affect the vertices, all but one of them tend to lose their animation, etc. In general, the bones just don't transfer at all, there should be no specific steps needed to recreate it. I tried max 2013 (or 12 the latest current version), different export settings, different models and different parameters of those models. The FBX themselves are good because they work 100% correctly in Unity3d and when reimported into 3ds max.

Sorry if this is not formal or specific enough, I'm not really good enough with SED3.5 yet to pinpoint what exactly is missing and wrong with the models that result from importing FBX, I just know (and have Artificial's confirmation) that the bones don't work properly like they used to.

Since there apparently was an earlier version that had them working, it should not be THAT hard to fix, I hope. I really want to map for HD or SS3 but I really need to be able to create animated models more complex than a lever or a door.

Edit: heck, if it is needed I could record the entire process of creating a very simple model with a skeleton of like 3 bones in 3ds max, exporting it with different settings and seeing what goes wrong in SED3.5 each time. That's in case someone from Croteam notices this but says that everything's working with their version or something like that. I hope it doesn't come to that though, it could be tedious.

Last edited by Antroid; 03-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #283   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

It's okay, you don't need to do anything else.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #284   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Alright, thanks a lot. I'm willing to do tedious things though if it helps bring me the precious animated fbx support!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #285   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

FYI, the bug is now fixed internally and will be most likely available in the next patch. Thank you for your cooperation!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #286   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

OH MY GOD YES, that is amazing! Thanks a lot. I'm very eager to dive into SS3 mappin' for real. Or at least HD (converting models into amf through SED3.5 if that works). Now if only Ryason55 could actually make that example or tutorial for his custom netricsa messages in SS3 method that he considered making... That would be...
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #287   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Is it possible to change the color of the muzzle flash for the pistol or minigun? I would also like to duplicate the muzzle flash for the pistol if thats possible.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #288   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Still would like to know the answer to the question above this. Another question: I've tried to change the "projectile" for a weapon (the assault rifle in this case), but it doesnt seem to change anything. Why so?

Last edited by Sly7745; 03-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #289   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly7745 View Post
Still would like to know the answer to the question above this. Another question: I've tried to change the "projectile" for a weapon (the assault rifle in this case), but it doesnt seem to change anything. Why so?
Yes it is possible, you best just edit the muzzleflash texture.
It is found under SeriousSam3/Textures/Effects/MuzzleFlash/
The assault rifle uses the "MuzzleFire_05" texture, you can either edit that one,or create a new one.

About changing the projectile: do you mean the model (bullet in this case) or the way it its fired (hitscan/flying) ?
You can change the projectile model by going to "Content/SeriousSam3/Models/Projectiles/" and changing the "Bullet" model.

For changing the behavior you need to go to "Content/SeriousSam3/Databases/Weapons/AssaultRifle" and change the bullet type there.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 AM   #290   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

The "Bullet" model has nothing to do with the hitscan weapons.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #291   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

@Movento: Thanks for the info. For the assault rifle I want to change the projectile it shoots by making a seperate model rather than replacing the bullet model. To my understanding that also replaces the bullet model for other weapons that shoots bullets.

@Solais: Yes, but by disabling the hitscan from a weapon, you can see the bullet model flying in the air.

Last edited by Sly7745; 03-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #292   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

How do you exactly disable the hitscan from the weapon?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #293   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

By changing the bullet type to "physical, flying".
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #294   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Ah yes, I never tried that. But that is still the hitscan bullet settings. To disable that, you need to set the bullet fired to be 0, then adding a projectile to the gun, with the settings just above the hitscan bullet settings.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #295   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

You can't change what type of projectiles/bullets the player weapons fire. At all. Bullet guns will always shoot bullets, and projectile guns will always shoot projectiles. Sucks because there are so many bullet weapons in the game, and bullets have next to no customization.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #296   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Does anyone know how to get spectator cameras working in custom maps?

Edit: Nevermind, i got it working now.

Last edited by Bio; 03-20-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #297   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Hey, my SS3 and the editor just updated and sure enough, the bones now show up when I import .fbx files! However there are a few weird things still.

1) Instead of normal selectable elongated bones like this, I get this - only the round joints are selectable, and not the long bones themselves, and also there's those weird extra sideways bones that show up in all editors except for the skeleton editor. What's up with all that?

2) A weightmap for one of the bones inevidably gets the word "Cluster" added to it's name and I have to rename the bone itself to make it work like the others. It usually seems to be the "base" bone so to speak, the one that all the others are linked to, and the one that you move to move the whole model. What's up with that?

3) Does SED3.5 support animating bone sizes? I tried to resize a bone of the Khnum model in the skeleton editor and it worked, but it didn't let me do that in the animation editor, where it matters. If that is impossible, how do I animate something growing bigger on a complex model? For example, the head growing in size like in the old Mortal Kombat fatalities?

4) When I import an animation from the same file, this happens. As you can see, the bones dramatically shrink in size, and the editor doesn't just shrink the guy's appropriate parts, it crushes the poor dude right the hell down (I may have forgotten to rename the "cluster" bone beore doing this, that's why some vertices are hanging above him). The bones' relative positions don't scale, by the way, which makes the guy very wide in this case - the arms and legs in this model aren't directly connected to the torso by other bones, they are only parented to them. I am aware that the model in question isn't very well made in terms of how the skeleton is constructed, but the same happens to the simple box model from question 1 too (and this model was originally for SS:SE anyways and the skeleton worked fine in 3dsmax when I was going to animate it). The animation of the bones themselves is about 99% intact, with the wrong 1% being his hands, which both do a couple 360 degree turns while he takes his one single step, which they most certainly don't do in the original animation (including when reimported from the fbx back into 3dsmax). What's up with all that?

Edit: also, it keeps screaming at me that keyframe durations are wrong and to resample all animation curves when exporting baked animation, but I have no clue how to do that.

Now, I spent way too much effort on this post, I would appreciate it if you guys didn't bury it immidiately under other questions

Last edited by Antroid; 03-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #298   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

It's been a long time since I last posted .

During the time I got someone who is also interested in modding ,but the problem is his blender is not taking the amf importer/exporter. he tried installing the scripts manually and he tells me the importer never shows up on the menu for all the scripts. It is scratching my head about how it's not working even though he follows all the instructions to the letter
Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #299   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Is it possible to change the time it takes for an enemy corpse to turn into dust and disappear through serious editor? I would like to set it for specific enemies, not all enemies. Also, how to change the blood color for specific enemies if possible?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #300   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I don't know, Sly. There you go. I replied. I didn't know the first time I read it and I still don't know now. =V