Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Exclamation NOTICE: To all mod-makers with the SS3 JoTN DLC

It seems there was a mix-up somewhere, as the edit-data gro file for the Jewel of the Nile includes a lot of resources from the main game. Now, you may know that resources from the DLC will not work for people without the DLC. Since these resources are marked as DLC content (even though they aren't), this means that, chances are, if you have the JoTN DLC and you've used resources from the main game for your mod, your mod will not work for people without the DLC.

The content this affects includes, but is not limited to:
-Enemy models
-Weapon models
-Enemy parameters and behaviours
-Item Parameters
-Weapon Parameters
-Destruction settings
-Materials
-Projectiles
-Netricsa Messages
-Character Tools

I've submitted a bug report on this to the tracker (Bug 28693), so hopefully things will get sorted out soon. For the time being, those of you who have the DLC and wish to avoid this, either rename your JoTN edit-data gro (currently "DLC_Sam3Extended_193968_edit.gro") so it has a different file extention (like, say, ".zip"), or move the said gro outside of the "SeriousSam3" folder. This will stop the gro from being loaded, and you can work with the files without fear of them being marked.

Now, even with this done, any saved content that was marked as DLC-only will still be marked as DLC-only. There is no easy fix for this; You'll have to revert back to the original files and re-do any changes you made to the affected files. Figuring out which files were mistakenly marked as DLC will be a pain, but I've submitted a suggestion for making that easier (Bug 28692).

Now, all of you people with access to the bug-tracker bump the hell out of those two bugs I mentioned; I'm incredibly bad at maintaining my bug reports.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Default Re: NOTICE: To all mod-makers with the SS3 JoTN DLC

Wow, that is a major find, good job.

Can't be arsed to reupload everything I've done just for that unfortunately, since I use stuff from the main game in almost everything, I think everything I've done would be marked as requiring the DLC.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Well holy crap that's a big one, good work Ryason. And thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Wow, nice find Ryason!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

Good work!

Does editing the gro extension fix everything for the most part as a modder?
Old 12-13-2013, 02:12 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe
Does editing the gro extension fix everything for the most part as a modder?
Pretty much. It's just that any of the affected files that were saved while they were mistakenly marked as DLC will need to be redone (should you want them to work for people without the DLC).

Anyways, I'm working with Alen to see if we can figure out how long this has been an issue. Alen did mention that Jewel of the Nile didn't get its Edit-data until some time after the main game, but I think it might've happened even later. I have my suspicions on which update did it, but we'll have to see.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Pinned it down: It was the update on November 6th of this year that caused all of this. So fortunately, this means that this only affects mods made within the last month. The affected mods will still need to be redone to ensure compatability, but at least this was found before it could cause too much damage.

... Of course, until the next patch comes out, modders with the DLC will still need to take the precautions I listed in the first post. Additionally, modders need to actually know about this (this may not've been the best sub-forum to put the thread in), so get this information out there.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Update: This is still a thing. More pressingly, you know that temporary fix listed in the first post? Turns out, if the gro is at all missing (renamed or moved), any updates to the game will redownload the entire gro. This means that with the latest Christmas updates, the offending gro is now back in place. You will have to re-remove it.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Goddamnit Croteam, fix your shit.

Alright, a few updates:
1. This is still a thing. Remember when I said "at least this was found before it could cause too much damage"? Hahahah... f***.

2. There's a bug that majorly conflicts with the temporary solution I've posted. Basically, the normal (non-moddable) version of the game will attempt to load modded nfos and xmls that it finds in the folders. This is a problem, because those files don't have the signature data required to run in the normal version of the game. As such, this reports an error, and in an attempt to correct it, the game forces Content Verification the next time you run the game. This does not fix the modded nfos and xmls... but this does do a pretty good job of making sure that you have every single gro file, including the shoddy JoTN Edit Data gro. So yeah, this bug breaks the fix every time that it occurs... which if you're working on any maps or player models, is every time that you load the normal version of the game. You'll have to reapply the fix every time this happens.

3. The JoTN Edit Data gro isn't the only offender. The main JoTN gros also contain base-game content... though, not nearly as much. I know for sure that the Gnaar and related resources are part of the main DLC gros, so there might be other things as well. If you're paranoid, you could also remove/rename those gros as well.

Really, at this point, if you don't plan on using actual DLC content in your mods, it might just be better to outright uninstall the JoTN DLC through your Steam Library.
(You know, unless you're using any number of mods that mistakenly require the DLC already)

Last edited by Ryason55; 03-26-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, and Talos got this same problem. Hell. Originally, the Prototype DLC for Talos didn't contain any vanilla resources. However, a patch added most Rome level resources to it by accident. And guess what? The Prototype DLC of Talos doesn't have edit data. Basically, this patch disabled the edit data for about 1/3rds of the content in Talos.

Let's just say that I reported this bug with a very annoyed tone to Croteam. They seriously have to stop doing this, because it is getting out of hand. This is all caused because they use the editor's auto-gro to pack patches and DLCs. They should just stop using it altogether and do it manually.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

So, Croteam has apparently "fixed" the JoTN Edit Data gro... And by that, I mean they completely removed it from the update files so that it won't be downloaded. I'm not sure how long ago this was, but I recently learned about it from a post Solais made.

Now, the thing is, this does not remove the gro file from the files of individual users; It is up to individual modders to manually remove the file from their installations. It's recommended that you either change the extention of the file, or move it to another folder, as deleting the gro means you will never have access to it again (it does still contain proper DLC Edit Data). As of right now, the gro should be named "DLC_Sam3Extended_261096_edit.gro".

Be sure to spread the word to as many modders as you can! This bug has been plaguing the workshop for almost 3 years now, but it can finally be put to an end if we take action. Again, I'll note that this will not fix files that were previously marked as DLC; Those files would have to be remade entirely in order to work for users who don't own the DLC. However, applying this fix now will ensure that any future mods will not be affected by this bug (assuming they aren't reliant on DLC-marked mods).
Old 08-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

So are all of the game files saved with this flag?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Not all of them, but the majority. Basically, every file that the DLC maps require to load were included with that gro, and would save with the DLC signature attached. Any files outside of that, or ones created completely from scratch, are unaffected. Unfortunately, there's no good way to figure out which user-saved files require DLC, since the red checkerboard only shows up for unsaved files from the official DLC gros, and they never implemented my suggestion for how to identify saved DLC files.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

If only a programmer could save the day...
Old 08-11-2016, 02:10 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Mind that from Talos on, this was fixed differently for future games. Likely there will no longer be any overlaps in DLC gro files, if there'll be any to begin with.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

For now, I just like to presume everyone owns JotN, it's only a $10 DLC. (Unlike everything in Civ5, that brings the price to over $100, the 2 expansions together are $60 to start with)
Old 08-11-2016, 11:41 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Most people probably don't have jotn. I am always giving away copies of it and lotb.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

oh yeah, when I gave my friend SS3, I told him you normally can't play any mods until you get THAT DLC (and then I bought him the DLC, also to prove to him you can gift DLC)

I'm serious, if you look at Civ 5's workshop, you'll find ALOT of stuff that only runs on BraveNewWorld