Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Default Serious Sam 2 Dedicated Server Utility - Several dedicated servers???

is it possible to start several dedicated servers with this program? i cant find that options.

i want to run 2 - 3 deathmatch dedicated servers on my server...
Old 11-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam 2 Dedicated Server Utility - Several dedicated servers???

It won't hurt to just try that, would it?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 11-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Default Re: Serious Sam 2 Dedicated Server Utility - Several dedicated servers???

At least on Windows XP, the Dedicated Server Utility seems to check to see if it is already running, and doesn't want to set up more than one instance of itself.

If you do manage to get several instances running (in a virtual machine, for example), you will undoubtedly need to set up separate ports for the several servers, or else your servers will get very confused.

Hope you've got a good connection to make this work.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Updating Fool

You can't do it with the utility, but you can use the utility to set up your config files, then start the dedicated servers using command line params added to a shortcut's target path.

For example:

+gameoptions "DedicatedServerUtility/Config/Normal_DM.cfg"

Last edited by D w K; 11-14-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:50 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by D w K View Post
You can't do it with the utility, but you can use the utility to set up your config files, then start the dedicated servers using command line params added to a shortcut's target path.

For example:

+gameoptions "Content/DedicatedServerUtility/Config/Normal_DM.cfg"
i dont get it, should the shortcut to the dedicatedserver.exe be like this?

"C:\Spel\Serious Sam 2\Bin\DedicatedServer.exe" +gameoptions "C:\Spel\Serious Sam 2\DedicatedServerUtility\Config\normaldm2.cfg"
Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetFF View Post
At least on Windows XP, the Dedicated Server Utility seems to check to see if it is already running, and doesn't want to set up more than one instance of itself.

If you do manage to get several instances running (in a virtual machine, for example), you will undoubtedly need to set up separate ports for the several servers, or else your servers will get very confused.

Hope you've got a good connection to make this work.
i have enough connection to run more 10 dedicated server =P
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Updating Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat^Trance View Post
i dont get it, should the shortcut to the dedicatedserver.exe be like this?

"C:\Spel\Serious Sam 2\Bin\DedicatedServer.exe" +gameoptions "C:\Spel\Serious Sam 2\DedicatedServerUtility\Config\normaldm2.cfg"
Close, you just need to remove the C:\Spel\Serious Sam 2\ part.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

im getting "error selection telenet socket" all the time when im trying to start the second server..
Old 11-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

You need to set the second server to run on a different port.

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Serious Spoon View Post
You need to set the second server to run on a different port.

i have already done that, but ill still get that error message
Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

If you are getting the errors regarding the telnet socket, it shouldn't impede the game itself. The game server should still work, you are just not able to connect and rcon it via the telnet port.

The thing is that besides running the game on the UDP port you give it (by default 25600 IIRC), DedicatedServer also runs an internal telnet server on the TCP port with the same number. This telnet server can be used for remote administration of the game (see the DedicatedServer's readme).

Unfortunatly, due to a small bug, no matter which port you give for the game, the telnet server will always start on the default port. This means that if you run two dedicated servers on the same machine, only the first one will run its telnet server correctly, while the other one will report errors.

However, I repeat, the game server should still function correctly.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks,
Alen
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alen Ladavac View Post
If you are getting the errors regarding the telnet socket, it shouldn't impede the game itself. The game server should still work, you are just not able to connect and rcon it via the telnet port.

The thing is that besides running the game on the UDP port you give it (by default 25600 IIRC), DedicatedServer also runs an internal telnet server on the TCP port with the same number. This telnet server can be used for remote administration of the game (see the DedicatedServer's readme).

Unfortunatly, due to a small bug, no matter which port you give for the game, the telnet server will always start on the default port. This means that if you run two dedicated servers on the same machine, only the first one will run its telnet server correctly, while the other one will report errors.

However, I repeat, the game server should still function correctly.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

Thanks,
Alen

oh thx for the reply..

it worked great =D