Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Sam Classic Mods

Serious Sam Classic Mods General mod discussion for Serious Sam 1 goes in this forum, also any tutorials/tutorial requests that have not been added to Serious Sam Wiki yet.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 06:23 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Shuriken is offline Send a message via AIM to Shuriken
Default Community Collaboration TC

The idea of this thread is to develop a concept for a TC which is shaped by the community. Not neccesarily to be made, but more just for the idea, and for the fun.

Ideas? First I suppose there is that whole issue of genre and style.

The usuals:

Role Playing
Shooter
Strategy
Racing

There are of course mixed genres, and I personally always enjoyed the classic LucasArts adventure games, which were Role Playing games of sorts, with the occasional fist fight, or possibly puzzles, both in game and intellectual (Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis)

I think it would be great to devise something which is truly original. An RPG with REAL combat, none of this morrowind 'SLASH SLASH SLASH' rubbish. Not only that, but with elements of others as well. There are minigames of course, but I really despise RPG games with bland combat and exciting minigames. It could be a fantasy game, but with classic, single shot rifles? Maybe just bow and arrows. Or it could be a sci fi RPG. I guess I'm mainly stuck on this RPG idea, because I like running around and 'grinding' so long as it isn't "Kill 10 grunts, wait for respawn, etc."

That's some input off the top of my head, hopefully this will turn into a cool discussion.

So Far
--------
Vampire Hunter (TGP)
Night Stalker (TGP)
Space game (Shuriken)
Fantasy RPG with 100% whole grain combat (Shuriken)
Commando Sam (TGP)

Last edited by Shuriken; 10-22-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:29 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

You want a total conversion idea? I've got a few. Here is my latest one:

There was a game for the Intellivision gaming console called Night Stalker. You were a man in a maze (it was supposed to be a cave), and you got a gun with 6 shots in it to shoot the spiders, bats, and robots (the main enemy of the game) that populated the cave. You had a bunker to hide in for when things got too heated, and you needed tomeplace to chill out and wait for the tension to die down for a moment. The first robots were easy, and once you got a certain score, you got harder robots that took more shots to kill, and then faster robots, and robots that could detroy your bunker, and the last was an invisible robot :o When you reached 1,000,000 points (or was it destroying the invisible robot?) the game reset and you started over. It was a fun game.

Modern day. yuo are in a 3d cave that is populated by robots, and bats, and spiders, and we'll throw some people in there as well. Your guns can hold more than 6 shots, and you have more than one type, but ammo is scarce, and you need to search the cave for more so that you can hope to battle your foes. You have to sneak around and avoid your enemies to find the ammo to destroy them. Some enemies can see you in the dark, other's can't. Some can see you from a distance, so stay out of their field of view, and other's can't. At some point you will be armed enough to escape the cave, and then you will have to sneak around the town above, and find a way out to the next level, and so on and so forth. If you can stockpile enough ammo (unlikely ), you can go all out against your foes and battle to the death in true shooter fasion.

I think it's a great idea, and I would love to see someone do it with some real time lighting and a good AI coder. You could even throw in friendly NPCs to help you out, or at least distract the robots from you if you wish to be so devious

Add in skill points for weapons use, and you have an RPG element too, if you want.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 10-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Ok, try this one on for size. A FPS/RPG/Adventure game. You are a vampire hunter (modeled after Vampire Hunter D).

You travel from region to region. Some regions will have 1 Vampire, some will have up to 10 all huddled away in their castle/fortress/cave/whatever they want to hide in. Each region will be made up of several towns with a limited population (unless it is a ghoul town, in which case the population will fluxuate with how much of a threat you are and create more ghouls until you destroy their leader).

You have to sell your services to each town, and receive payment for destroying the Vampire that is harassing them. Regions with more than one Vampire will have different Vampires attacking different towns. If you sell your services and destroy the wrong Vampire, you won't get paid for slaying that Vampire. So be sure that if you sell your services for one Vampire, and then find another, retreat and find the town that will pay you to destroy them. Finding a Vampire will alert them to your presence, and they will start sending out ghouls to try to stop you from killing them. The more time spent in their territory, the more ghouls they send after you. If you leave, the ghouls might stop all together (Vampires try to not step on their brethren's property unless needed).

The maps will be completely open. You will be powerfull in your own right, and able to jump up high distances without threat of being hurt. If you can see someplace, you can probably get there directly, without too much searching. Of course, you will need to search to find easier ways of killing each Vampire. They won't all have the same weaknesses, as well as their ghouls will have different weaknesses, and you will need different tactics to break into each stronghold.

You will have the standard Vampire Hunter sword, as well as a few other weapons for ghouls and such. Fighting off towns people will require more finess if you still want to get paid (although if you kill them all you can steal their money, but that might get the surrounding towns after you instead, unless they attacked instead of paying you like they should have ).

Does that sound better?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:49 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Not better, just different. Both are awesome, and seem original. Are these maps all connected, i.e. you can go from one to the other at will, or is it when youa re on this 'quest' you are on that map in that save?

I've always wanted a good space combat game. Not like just flying, but the whole shmear. Fighting through the ship, flying some spaceships, you know.

Kind of like Jolly Roger (where are you?) meets Xwing v.s Tie Fighter. If you haven't figured out by now, my ideas are not specific. Heh.

So far...

Vampire Hunter
Night Stalker
Space game.

Good stuff man. Now if other people would notice this.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:04 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Night Stalker would have connected maps like Half Life, Deus Ex, Doom 3, and a few other games where you can go back and forth, to a degree. At some point you have to consider that you have passed a point of no return.

Vampire Hunter will be set up more like an MMO, or Grand Theft Auto in it's terrain. You will have a large area, let's say, a valley under a mountain, with a castle up top. There will be ravines, and a river or two, forrests, towns, all able to be reach if you are willing to travel a while. When all fo the Vampires have been killed, you leave for the next region.

I haven't decided if I want you to be able to go back and forth from region to region yet. Maybe it should be allowed, maybe it should be made a little more linear and keep it to one region at a time. I haven't decided yet.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

(yes, I have more ideas)

Or, you could play:

Commando SAM, for the Ultra Violent gamer in some of us.

You make all of the locations you expect to see in all of the tactical shooters over the years. All of the air fields, warehouses, office buildings, beach front bungalos, and where ever else you expect to fight in those so called "relistic" games. But in this, you throw wave after wave (and I mean more than Serious Sam throws at you) of tactical shooter enemies at the player. Throw Nazis, Security Guards, Commandos, Mercs, whatever. Throw them all at the player in groups of ten or more, and let the player mow them all down with whatever weapon they pick up (every weapon will hold ten times as much ammo as it's real life counterpart, but the ammo counter will still show that it has a realistic amount of ammo in it, fire ten shots and it goes down by one).

It would work best with the Ghoul engine from the first Soldier of Fortune game for proper gibbing. You could even have a puzzel where you get thrown into a pit in the ground, and have to kill enemy after enemy up top to fill the pit with blood and gibs to swim out to the top.

yes, it is over the top. And the voice of the "hero" should sound like Arnold Schwarzeneggar (as some of the mechanics are modelled after the movie "Commando" where he mows down 100+ soldiers around a tropical fortress/mansion).
Old 10-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

To elaborate on my uber RPG idea...

I've always wanted good water in RPGs. Half the time, it's stuff you can't go in, and there's nothing under it! I want some good swimming, it's a whole half of a world there that could be taken advantage of! Not only from swimming to underwater caves, picking up a device/spell/whatever gimmick the game uses to stay underwater more, underwater combat, underwater cities, but what about PIRATES! Ships and sailing!

You save up from your land quests long enough, and you can sail around pillaging, or just use it to get around. This can expand the game from being restricted to a landmass, to a landmass and an archipelago, not to mention the whole sea! This could allow for so much freedom!

Not only that, but there are lots of elements of MMORPGs that I haven't seen in any RPGs. Of course, I'm obsessed with 'free' rpgs like Morrowind, so that taints all my view, since there are view RPGs like that. Where is the crafting? Where are the vehicles? I want horses!

I have a vision in my head of a unique style of 'medieval' RPG. Ditch the D&D style and go with some real panache. Swords and such will be the staple, of course, but why not throw in some firearms? You don't want to be carrying around an MP5, but a black powder, or a single shot cartridge rifle certainly isn't out of the question. Hey, why not even include martial arts, some kung fu? Do you have to stay with the cliche European dark ages theme, or can we progress? Instead of monotonous music in taverns, bars, whatever are the venues of choice, why not have some acoustic guitar and singer acts? Do people have to wear felt booties and pointed caps, or can we get some interesting clothing? Architecture could be original rather than bland, it could go SO many places with different style!

Or better yet, why not some multiplayer? You can have yourself a big colluseum in a major city that you go to, and you connect to a server (or, if you've no connection, you fight AI) and duel to the death (or simply knockout, depenidng on what you want to play) with other players for prizes and cash. You could make a living of it!

There could even be an option for someone to start a persistent world. Set up a dedicated server and allow a maximum of, I dunno, 50 people to sign up for that one? Probably not the best idea, but I'm throwing stuff out.

Could the seasons be made to change well? Could this effect entire aspects of the game?

After it's done, it could always be made open source, or if not, you could release just enough for people to make new generic quests.

This is probably the single most impossible mod idea ever, but that's okay, because I'm having fun thinking of it, and that's the point of this thread.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Why does it seem that we are the only two people posting in this entire section of the forum? I could post four other ideas right now if I wanted to, except I am getting tired of seeing myself every other post (or more often ) like it has been.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thee Goat Pig
Why does it seem that we are the only two people posting in this entire section of the forum? I could post four other ideas right now if I wanted to, except I am getting tired of seeing myself every other post (or more often ) like it has been.
If I post three times will you post them?

Also, for everyone else, this isn't neccesarily limited to plopping down a whole idea. If you've got comments on someone elses idea, shoot it out! If you've got one feature you'd like to see in something, drop it down!
Old 10-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

I'll post them all right now (since I'm here and all )

Lights Out Deathmatch (originally a Doom 3 idea)

Turn out all of the lights. Maybe leave one room with its own lightsource, maybe two. Have outdoor maps only have a darkend sky with stars, so that you might be able to see a shadown run by. No, give everyone the same loadout at startup. A flashlight, a pistol, and a plasma rifle (up the light intensity on the flashlight and plasma rifle considerably, the FL should light up an entire room/hallway, and the PR should be able to iluminate a hallway fairly well, but not so much as the FL).

You need to expose yourself to see. You need to see to shoot people. Using the FL will give away where you are. Using the PR will give away your position. Going into the area with light will give away where you are. You have to sneak around in near darkness, and watch for signs of light to kill your opponents.

I think that good fun could be had in this.

Zombie Mod:

I'm always pimping this one. It's simple, watch a Living Dead movie. Make maps and then stuff them with 1000 slow moving Zombies. Slow down the player speed, give him limited ammo and weapons, and force him to fight through the Zombie hoard. Give them co-op while you are at it. You need a forest map, a suburb map, a mall map (everyone wants to fight their way out of the mall from Dawn of the Dead ), and maybe some others that you can think of.

Cardboad Cutout Catastrophe!

All of the cardboard cutouts in retail outlets come to life, and there are tons of them. They are terrorising the customers of Target, Wallmart, Best Buy, or where ever else they tend to hang out.

It will be an on rails shooter for the most part, like house of the Dead and that Sega cop game with that Enforcer light gun. You go along shooting cardboard cutouts. "What can they do?" you might ask. Well, whatever their shape lets them do. If it is a Darth Vader cutout (will have to be modified for copyright protection and trademark infringement), it will swing the lightsabre at you, and force push/pull you a lot. If it is an action hero with a gun, it will shoot at you. If it is a woman holding a plate, it will chuck an unlimited number of plates at you. All cutouts will have a spin attack for when they are close up to you.
You have to battle through retail outlets all over the area to stop the maddness.

On The Run

You are a petty thief in a mostly mob controled city. You witness a mob exicution, and they noticed you. You are now on the run from goons and hitmen, and if you break the law while running from them, you have the cops after you too.

You can go anywhere/do anything in the city. You have to talk to a few people and run an errand for someone before running into the mob hit, so you have a few people that you can talk to and ask for help in hiding you. They will let you know where you can get a gun, either through purchase or as a loaner from a friend (talk to the right friends, or the mob will know where, they have squealers all over the place ready to turn you in ). You will have your own appartment, but I wouldn't suggest going back there without a weapon. Someone is watching the place (and you will be able to kill them, or sneak past them, or whatever).

You can go to the diner and order lunch, you can go to the cleaners to pick up some new cloths, and you can even break into people's appartments to hide out in. When you do get a gun, you need to manage your ammo like you would in real life. when you replace a half used clip, you still have a half used clip in your inventory. You need to move bullets from one clip to the other. and tossing old clips can be a bad idea.

The end mission will be get the mob off your back. I'm not sure how yet. Either killing the boss and his captains, or by getting the cops enough evidence to bring the leader down (they don't care about the cronies you saw commit the murder), or by getting on their good side somehow (will invove Zero mob kills in your stats, if you kill any of them they will never trust you )

This idea needs the most help, as I don't have it fully fleshed out yet. But it's the oneI want to buy the most.

Back To Vampires

The basic concept of that is that each Vampire is a boss battle, like Castlevania has. But the entire game is either spent preparing for those boss battles, or fighting those bosses. The ghoul parts will be limited, or included as the boss battle. And the more you ask around about each Vampire, ythe more likely some Vampires are to send ghouls out to get you (a small contradiction there, I know, I'm fuzzy on some of it, I only came up with this one right before I posted it ).
Old 10-26-2005, 01:20 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Great. I throw out seven perfectly good ideas (well, maybe six great ideas and one that is just my own sick fantasy), and only two people care about them (one of which is me).

Maybe more people will see this when SED2 comes out.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

Most people already have their own ideas, you know

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
untitled.

Hollywood is offline Send a message via MSN to Hollywood

I like your space rpg idea

I also like zombies...

And the mafia....

You should think long and hard about that...
Old 10-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

Hollywood is back?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
I'm a bad influence on children. Childrens damn fault for being influenced by me.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:12 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
I like your space rpg idea

I also like zombies...

And the mafia....

You should think long and hard about that...
An RPG about Mafia Zombies in Space? I like it...
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

How about an Ender's Game style battleroom game?

However, to make it into a game, you'd have to use "health" for parts. location-specific damage is a must.

Think about it, a bunch of players in a 0 grav environment. You can only change position by jumping in another direction. Cubes of varying size would be randomly generated in the levels, so only 1 "map" is really needed. Only 1 weapon, a laser rifle. Crouch would aim the weapon between a player's legs in a nearly fetal position. Parts of the body become frozen in place when they take damage, so if you are hit in the legs, you can no longer "jump" off the walls, however to simulate pushing off with the hands or a flexing of the back, a weaker variant of jump would take place once the legs are frozen. If the arms are frozen, the camera takes on a very limited field of movement, since you could still twist your body to varying degrees to aim.

Making the mod, art wise, would be pretty simple. A basic player model with a few differently colored skins for the different armies... perhaps an HL-style slider where the server admin can choose the colors of the different teams, limited to different stripes on the uniform. A single weapon model, with only a few map models needed... hand holds on the walls, the doors, and the 4 points of the "goal" for the players to rest their heads. A handful of textures, basically the walls and the skins for the cubical "stars" in the maps.

Quote:
I'm a bad influence on children. Childrens damn fault for being influenced by me.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Man from 2525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessai
How about an Ender's Game style battleroom game?

However, to make it into a game, you'd have to use "health" for parts. location-specific damage is a must.

Think about it, a bunch of players in a 0 grav environment. You can only change position by jumping in another direction. Cubes of varying size would be randomly generated in the levels, so only 1 "map" is really needed. Only 1 weapon, a laser rifle. Crouch would aim the weapon between a player's legs in a nearly fetal position. Parts of the body become frozen in place when they take damage, so if you are hit in the legs, you can no longer "jump" off the walls, however to simulate pushing off with the hands or a flexing of the back, a weaker variant of jump would take place once the legs are frozen. If the arms are frozen, the camera takes on a very limited field of movement, since you could still twist your body to varying degrees to aim.

Making the mod, art wise, would be pretty simple. A basic player model with a few differently colored skins for the different armies... perhaps an HL-style slider where the server admin can choose the colors of the different teams, limited to different stripes on the uniform. A single weapon model, with only a few map models needed... hand holds on the walls, the doors, and the 4 points of the "goal" for the players to rest their heads. A handful of textures, basically the walls and the skins for the cubical "stars" in the maps.
I don't see why you would put the crouch thing in. That was a HAX! that Ender came up with. If everyone could do that people would just drop down (or over, or however they want to see it) to the enemy's gate. I suppose you could just prepare for that, half your platoon drop and half your platoon guard the gate.

Could be good though, I think you've suggested this before too...
Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
untitled.

Hollywood is offline Send a message via MSN to Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessai
Hollywood is back?!
not back back, just a few posts here and there since sam2 came out

too busy in real life to frequently post.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:43 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

I would think that we could mildly modify the way the gates work, and make each point a capture point.. IE, it takes a few seconds for each of the 4 points, which then reveal a 5th point or something, that also takes time to capture?

Quote:
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

How about we bring back Sister Snatch?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booger
How about we bring back Sister Snatch?
I was so surprised when I originally saw that existed. I just had to link everyone I knew to it. I didn't even know what the point was really, but I was facinated with it.