Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Talk about the stuff that makes you jive! Music, art, movies, anime, TV, YouTube, whatever! You can even show off your creations here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Default Re: What annoys you about music?

1. Pop music.
2. Vocal music. Lyrics always (well, 99.999% of the time) ruin the melody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaositect_Crayon View Post
The 12 TET:
This is the least horrible of the four horsemen. But it's also the most insidious because it's so big it blots out the sun. Considering microtonal and atonal music a novelty or a niche interest is a horror that has been going on so long (since, admittedly, before the 12 TET even existed*) that noone knows it's wrong. There are infinity of notes at your disposal between B and C and most people can't wrap their mind around it. That's why I want an Oud.
Oh and this last one doesn't mean I don't listen to music with standard notation. Only that the standard notation is so huge that outside of middle eastern music you're looked at liking that "weird music".

*The 12 TET before the 12 TET was called the Pythagorean scale. It's kind of what the 12 TET is based on. I don't remember anything about it though.
What the hell? First of all, get your music theory straight. 12 TET is a tuning system while Pythagorean scale is a set of scales based on Pythagorean tuning. Both tuning systems are rather different and 12 TET is rather modern. I'm pretty sure it was non-existent before Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier and some time after. Most music of that time used just intonation. It became popular because it sounds good in all scales and allows composers to do modulations into distant keys without much dissonance.

Also, Wikipedia says that the average perceptible difference is around 10 cents so there are actually about 10 notes inside minor second that human can perceive.

Last edited by FaTony; 10-13-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
yaranaika?

Xaositect_Crayon is offline Send a message via AIM to Xaositect_Crayon Send a message via MSN to Xaositect_Crayon Send a message via Yahoo to Xaositect_Crayon
Default Re: What annoys you about music?

well that was written, years ago and all I did was edit at the cursing. I probably read something about it and misunderstood the difference. Still the point basically stands that that microtonal music is considered a pretty big deviation from the norm.

he unobserved state is a fog of probabilities, a window of and for error. The watcher observes, the fog collapses, an event resolves. A theory becomes a fact... What is the truth? Tell me, if you know. And I will not believe you. Things are never what they seem. Clean gloves hide dirty hands - and mine are dirtier than most... Without truth, there can be no justice.