Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default What do you think - will Croteam create a next-generation of their engine

And what you think. Did you think that Croteam create a new generation engine (actually it should be ready, if the fourth Serious Sam is scheduled for 2014). All of that're speculations but we want to know your opinion. Is for Serious sam 4 uprise a Serious Engine 4/Serious Engine 4.0, Serious Engine (4th generation), S. Engine (4th generation)/SEngine (4th generation) etc.?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: What do you think - will Croteam create a next-generation of their engine

It's a nonquestion, due to how the current Serious Engine operates.

You see, the current engine is the same as the one running under Serious Sam 2, which was called as Serious Engine 2 (which was also built on some code of Serious Engine 1, but still a separate thing). Since then, Croteam have added (and even removed) features from the engine, optimized it, etcetera, as it is a super malleable engine which can do literally everything if it's added to it. The engine is upgraded as game development demands it, as new and new tools are needed for the designers.

When it comes to the version of the engine, there's no such a thing in general. There are only build numbers, how many times the engine was compiled (at least that's how I believe the numbers are), you can see those numbers when you check the current version of whichever Sam game you prefer (after SS2, of course).

The version numbering of the engines really only exist due to marketing reasons. Serious Engine 3 got its name from Serious Sam 3; even if it was used under SSHD first, but because both games were developed at the same time and Croteam needed money to finish SS3. SS3 got a newer version of the engine, which was kinda the same engine on release (2011 November) as the latest SSHD patched engine; only, the SS3 branch of the engine got more entities and features coded in, all used by SS3, while the SSHD branch retained its support of SS1 entities.

Since then, the SS3 branch was developed further through more and more patches and most likely some features that can't be implemented into the released SS3 due to incompatibilities of the game's content (for instance, the scripts used on the levels).

So when Serious Sam 4 will come out, the engine under it will be called as "Serious Engine 4". Even if the engine is still the same, just upgraded.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 10-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

Default Re: What do you think - will Croteam create a next-generation of their engine

Slice of bread is slice of bread. But if you add butter, ham and cheese it becomes a sandwich.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Dude, if SE4 gets its release with SS4 it will be basicly the same thing as every other se engine. Because there is just 1 engine updated from time to time, se2 was based on the xbox release of ss1 (bunch of code comes from there), then se3 was just a updated se2, same goes with se3.5 so se 4 will be the samething just with new features just as always.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Way to over simplify it.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
Way to over simplify it.
LOL!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Croteam can't sitting enough there to not create a new engine from core
in this time it isn't enough "just random mechanic" (only improved version) - I'm exaggerating but this is today's games
Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Today's games are all built on engines made years ago, just improved. The all dominating Call of Duty was built on the Quake 3 engine until the most recent one, and that's almost as old as Serious Engine 1.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Today's games are all built on engines made years ago, just improved. The all dominating Call of Duty was built on the Quake 3 engine until the most recent one, and that's almost as old as Serious Engine 1.
evry dudy shit is based on quake 3, they arejust faking around if they say its not. and yeah who has time to make new engines lol pfftt silly Epic Games and ID software
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

...huh?

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ReXx View Post
...huh?
happy birthday between
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

Thanks.

But... what's the point of the thread?
It was about Serious Engine and now it's Call of Booty's Quake III engine...

Old 02-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

I don't see a need to do that. They can re-label the engine just to fit in with the new title, make it sound more sophisticated. Serious Engine...

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

The last one looked pretty darn good. i would be ok if they kept it and expanded on it. Maybe add some 3d functionality? keep 16 player coop.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

SE3.5 looked amazing on Ultra settings, while on Lowest it looked like improved Quake 3 Arena.

As Solais explained, SE4 (or it could be SE3.75 who knows ) is likely going to have the same features of SE3.5 but just improved, and a lot of new stuff in it, as Croteam promised us 'the greatest, craziest Serious Sam ever' in SS4, so it's gotta have some changes to make it differ from SS3, as it was dull and generic (no offense CT, but the story levels are so bad).

Old 03-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

It's gonna need crazy stuff like the features that were in Serious Engine 1 but never available in later iterations. You know, custom directional gravity.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Teleports that are as easy as placing an entity and connecting it to a marker.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

SS1 entities from SSHD.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

Huh? I got all lost

Old 07-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Quote:
It's gonna need crazy stuff like the features that were in Serious Engine 1 but never available in later iterations. You know, custom directional gravity.
This, this, this. The most outstanding feature, which allowed a number of unique and epic fights, the best ones ever.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Unfortunately, I talked with Alen a lot about that feature, and it will likely never come back. They'd have to redo the whole engine from scratch and that takes incredible time and money. They need their next 3-4-5 games to be as successful as Talos was (or even doubly more successful) for them to be able to do that.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:30 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Then just tell them to use Serious Engine 1 for all their future games, problem solved
Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

You:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Of Gaming View Post
Then just tell them to use Serious Engine 1 for all their future games, problem solved
Me:
http://s23.postimg.org/f766hbwdj/sam_old.png
how about we do not?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:22 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

http://i.imgur.com/2pkh9Zf.png
why not (on pic: Sam HD model in TSE Classic, sorry, forgot to use antialiasing )
Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

No SS4 should not be developed with Serious Engine 1. SE1 is a old & an outdated Engine.

For Comparison: As Win XP was released nobody even knows/ used Smartphones, MP3 Players, IPod, IPad. World has changed since 2001, new concepts, new Hardware & new Software is available. We should restrict or limit creativity from Developers to SE1.

To make a modern Engine of SE1 it requires a complete rewrite, i guess.

Btw, nobody awaits from Id Soft to develop(ed) Doom 3 & Doom 4 at Doom Engine from 1993.

That big Ball with which you can kill Sirian Werebull in FE, f.e., is complete static, after the trigger is activated, Ball just rolls into the Landscape. You can't move that ball with shoots or Use key. Another Example is Player movement, in SS, specially FE, it feels like Player moves at a Texture, no Sand particle effects.

Has somebody try to include that features as a .dll into SE1? How good can SE1 handle HD textures, DirectX 9 features?

About SS Alpha some of the Planet levels, Ice Planet, Tropical Planet are a mess and hard to play. Movement at Ice Planet feels horrible.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Yeah. And its not like the new engine was adding only a thing or two. Just put side by side SS1 and SS1HD. There might be no more of the wacky physics of TSE, but its still the same great game with improvements both visually and gameplay wise. (though sound wise is another story...)
Old 07-07-2015, 11:17 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
Has somebody try to include that features as a .dll into SE1? How good can SE1 handle HD textures, DirectX 9 features?

Arcane Island demonstrates use of HD textures, if that counts. It's a shame this project was never completed.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
No SS4 should not be developed with Serious Engine 1. SE1 is a old & an outdated Engine.
oh mY FUCKING
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dannys-awesomesauce/images/e/e8/Rage-Face.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140913092053

but also
http://thenanobyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/are-you-fucking-kidding-me-rage-face-meme-template-blanks_u18chan1.png

Old 07-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I found out this when looking up the quake engine, kinda hard to beleave that COD has Dikatana in it's Code.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

WHy Croteam didn't used 1024x1024 textures back in 2001/2002?