Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

View Poll Results: Which would you rather see in future SS?
Arachnoids and their hitscan 2 8.70%
ScorpSoldiers and their projectiles 2 8.70%
Arachnoids with projectiles 9 39.13%
ScorpSoldiers with hitscan 0 0%
Both 6 26.09%
DEATHMATCH BOTS ONLY, SON 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Default Arachnoids or Scorp Soldiers?

Should the Arachnoids continue to use hitscan that forces us to go into cover and being one of the things that ruined SS3's tagline or have fast projectiles that gives the illusion of bullets so that skilled players can actually everything the whole game without ever needing cover once but maybe at the risk of making the games easier?

Last edited by PikaCommando; 02-24-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Arachnoids or Scorp Soldiers?

Yes.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

What are ScorpSoldiers?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
What are ScorpSoldiers?
The not-Arachnoids from SS2.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/serious/images/9/90/Scorpsoldiers.png/revision/latest?cb=20100404075644
Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I like 'em all. Arachnoids, ScorpSoldiers.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

We should give them all slingshots.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
HITSCAN
To me, it means those auto-machine-gun that being left hanging throughout SS games. It fires whatever cross it's radar area. It has red laser beam scanning and placed where some of the sections of flood army of enemies (like one on ground and two above doorway, etc). SS have to go around and turn it off. It has amazing unlimited ammo. I like those, yes. That isn't on the poll?

As for Zombie Stockbroker, Arachnoid, even Reeban Electro-Fish, etc... they shoot right at you and there's NO avoiding those bullets, except hiding behind walls. Are you referring to those? What was the poll/question again?

Quote:
ruined SS3's tagline
How so? If anything, I think the "clowns" is what ruin the overall SS series.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
As for Zombie Stockbroker, Arachnoid, even Reeban Electro-Fish, etc... they shoot right at you and there's NO avoiding those bullets, except hiding behind walls. Are you referring to those? What was the poll/question again?

How so? If anything, I think the "clowns" is what ruin the overall SS series.
Yes, hitscan means those instant-hit enemies that you have no chance of dodging other than taking cover. It ruins SS3's tagline because even though it's marketed as "All Man, No Cover", many enemies in the game gives you no choice but to move to cover (worst offenders being the Witch Brides and Technopolips).
Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
"All Man, No Cover"
Well... it would mean "All Man, No Armor" too?? Hey, SS got invincible powerups laying around in the game too (in all SS series?)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

The term 'cover' implies the act of hiding behind something to avoid taking damage, whereas with armor you still run the risk of damage and death.

Also, Serious Invincibility is different in that it's rare and only lasts a short time, and you don't need it if you're skilled enough. Take the last level of SS2 for example. While extremely hard, it is still very possible to beat the last section without Serious Invincibility because none of the enemies require you to take cover there. Also, with Serious Invincibility, you can run around and kill enemies but you can't do the same in cover (because, you know, you're under fire). Not to mention Serious Invincibility is absent in SS3, so the use of cover is absolutely necessary because the enemies are designed to force that.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Non-hitscan arachnoids. But scorp soldiers are fine as well. I've noticed that if I added "no hitscan arachnoids" mod in Serious Sam 3, I still wanted to kill arachnoids as fast as possible but now I had a chance to actually not get hit when fighting them out in the open.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Hit-scan weapons were never a problem in older Sam games, imo. I never played SS:FE and thought, Arachnoids are broken and obnoxious. The reasons being.. they were never used in mass quantity, they are large (easy to hit with your own weapons), they have a very distinct window of vulnerability where they can't hurt you, and because they are so large they don't hide in shadows pelting you with bullets making you spin around wondering where the shots are coming from.

In SS3 it's not so much a problem as it is a huge fucking annoyance. There are so many of the hitscan soldiers that you're always getting shot by a few of them when you're trying to kill some others (I don't even remember if they have to reload, ever.) They're small and can hide in shadows or behind pillars. The biggest oddity in my opinion that I didn't even notice for the longest time, is that they aren't doing as much damage to you as it FEELS like they're doing. I remember getting shot by a guy and my screen flashes as I lose health, and I'm just like... oh shit I'm going to die... Then I realize he's only doing a few points of damage to me each time. The visual effects probably should have scaled better for low damaging threats, or something.

The other side of the coin is that.. there were just a lot more kinds of hitscan enemies. I really wasn't a fan of the helicopters at all... but them and the witchbrides really slowed down the pace of movement and combat.

For what it's worth, I remember people being so upset with iron sights and reloading, etc. I thought those were GREAT additions to the series.
Instead of hitscan stuff, I'd rather see homing sort of stuff like the big green reptile guys in the older games. That's a fair balance in my eyes as it's difficult to just straight up ignore them (like just dodging the initial projectile of most enemies), and they also added more verticality to fights.

Also, random thought... if you're going to use hitscan enemies, the enemies should probably have to "spot" you first... again, it's been a long time since I played SS3, but I feel like everytime I came out of cover, the helicopter would always immediately start firing at me, even if I didn't know where it was at first, or if I snuck around buildings and appeared somewhere else. I don't know.. if you're going to have hitscan enemies like that in SS, they should require strategy to beat, and have more of a weakness.

Enemy placement was always important to me as well... SS:FE had some of the best enemy spawn placement out of every SS game. It was a bit worse in SS:TSE, but there were also just more enemies in general I'm pretty sure. SS3 felt sort of mindless.. especially I remember some egypt level with like 20 hitscan soldiers all piled up and you just shoot one rocket and they all instagib. It's cool the first time, but totally lame unless you manipulated their movements to get them in that position.

I'd also like to see more whacky/clever spawnpoints in general. Having an enemy portal open infront of you or behind you and instantly spawn a guy is cool.. but you can really explore more interesting spawn locations.. like spawn them on a roof and have them jump down to get to you, or spawn 20 guys, one at a time behind a pillar that they just sort of walk out from behind. You go over there to investigate it, and there's no way for them to get there. Sort of like the idea of 20 clowns climbing out of a tiny car. Maybe not even activating the spawner if you would SEE them spawn (probably disabling this mechanic if playing cooperative since too many players could break the game.)

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 02-26-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

And interesting enough that watching some of the YouTube recordings of actual play in SS, some "never" get hit... I don't remember but pretty obvious it was "cover and shoot" along there.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

In general, the whole "No Cover, All Man" tagline is BS, just like most of the PR behind SS games.

I mean, the whole hotline stuff basically saying how the game is just mindless, also not knowing why the kamikazes scream, and all that. It's basically all lies.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

So... you know why kamikazes scream?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Because they fear Sam, duh.

[IMG]And interesting enough that watching some of the YouTube recordings of actual play in SS, some "never" get hit... I don't remember but pretty obvious it was "cover and shoot" along there.[/IMG]

The hitscan isn't that bad in SS1, since it's only the Arachnoid family (and the occasional electro-fishes) that's doing that. It went full retard in SS3 though, so you have to play very very slowly to avoid getting raped by the Witch Brides and Technopolips.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:34 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

A little bit earlier today I played the 4 levels after "under the iron cloud".. I think there are 3 more levels after the ones I played.

Anyways, I played on normal and the hitscan isn't as terrible as I remember, but it might also be because I'm fairly used to the game, even though I haven't touched it in years. The open areas are the REAL problems with hitscan weapons... getting wrecked by a helicopter or the foot soldiers while in the open, trying to kite and circle strafe kleers is the biggest annoyance. I died a handful of times in these areas. The first map I played was really bad for this, you have two town areas and inbetween there's desert... pretty much have to aggro shit and kite it back to the town so you can abuse corners. It's difficult to just run to the next town area, and fighting in the open just isn't fun.

The dark bride level has a ton of hitscan enemies but they group up so hard that you sort of just kill them all at once. One of the other levels has a bunch of hitscan guys but there are so many ruined walls and columns that you can hide a bit.

So, I'd say the hitscan isn't as obnoxious as I remember, but the fact that it left such an impact on my memory is worrisome.

A bigger issue with SS3 imo are the first levels (BEFORE Iron cloud) are just so slow. I really just don't like replaying them ever anymore... they aren't that interesting and the gun turret maze is just obnoxious. I like to think that the game begins at the iron cloud level, but I've played it so much that I just decided to skip it... it's an enjoyable level. Also, it seems to take be about 45minutes typically to get through one level, sometimes skipping a few groups of enemies just to get to the exit (since killing them doesn't matter at all if you can just end the level.) That is a LONG time for one level, and it wears me out. I'm not sure how this compares to SS:FE level length, but I definitely enjoyed having more variety in SS:FE and TSE.

Also .. those column hopper enemies legit still scare me to this day.. the way they look, sound and animate... Croteam did such a good job on those... would be nice if they had done more on walls and such, though.

Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 02-27-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:51 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Hah, finally someone agrees with me that SS3 levels go on for too long.

Also, the space monkeys are legit annoying as fuck. Killing them takes forever. Croteam should give up on making "intelligent" enemies.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

FIrst the witches, now the hitscan enemies, what will be next? Adding regenerating health for all difficulties? Cover system? Two weapons limit? The franchise needs SS3 witches and hitscan enemies. 'nuff said.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:00 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
So... you know why kamikazes scream?
Netricsa.Kamikaze.01.LCU=Life Control Unit (LCU) is an electronic device replacing the functionality of the removed upper part of the central nervous system. Includes crude sensory modules and a vocal synthesizer.

It's in the game!

---

As for SS3 Levels taking too long: You are right, but the problem I think is not that the levels take too long. I think the problem is that the levels are huge, BUT, you only do one thing: Fighting. All the time. You see, TSE is the most liked game, and even that game got some large levels taking a long time. However, they were still broken up by regular puzzles, jumping puzzles, or water mazes or just areas with barely any enemies, good for a walk. Or arenas that are somewhat more special than the ones in SS3. It's not a perfect game, but it was a lot better paced than SS3, as SS3 had none.

In a way, Jewel of the Nile is good because of that. There's a way more better pacing in that one, this is why the levels are generally better liked by fans. (The annoying enemies missing from them is another reason.)

As for the early levels, I actually almost like those in SS3 better. The later levels are just basically one 45-90 minutes long of endless repetitive grindfest battles that tire me out. And I still think the minigun turret maze is awesome.

Last edited by Solais; 02-27-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:03 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
FIrst the witches, now the hitscan enemies, what will be next? Adding regenerating health for all difficulties? Cover system? Two weapons limit? The franchise needs SS3 witches and hitscan enemies. 'nuff said.
Two weapons limit actually makes the game harder
Old 02-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Yeah, Croteam just should go full into the military Call of Medal Battlefront territory. For challenge, difficulty, tactical and strategical logic, realism! Fuck Yeah!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

But seriously though, how would removing hitscan enemies be detrimental to the SS experience and make it CoD-easy, especially when CoD's specialty is hitscan enemies?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I dunno. In fact, I personally don't mind some hitscan enemies, but they must be balanced. Arachnoids from SS1 were perfect. SS3 large arachnoids are a bit too OP as you really have to hide from them 'cause they hit the player very accurately. Minor aracnoids are pain in the ass due to their amount. ScorpSoldiers - eh, just bullshit.

Generally, in this regard I'm all with MasterEvilAce's opinion. This is a perfect description of the problem. There's no need to remove something when you can make it better by balancing it btw.

P.S. I'm actually more concerned about DavorT's statement about making even higher enemy count and bigger maps in SS4. As Solaris said, it's frustrative and exhausting to have repetitive grindfest battles. With bigger map scale, this repetitiveness and emptyness without anything else to do may become even worse.

Last edited by FreekNik; 02-27-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:23 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, they did say that Talos was born out of ideas of puzzles done between battles, so who knows. Maybe they do plan to add more to the game that balances out all the fighting.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Puzzles are not a panacea, y'know. I'd prefer to relax and do something fun too instead of scratching head. Vehicles sections a-la Next Encounter would be cool, eh, but with Croteam's physical engine... probably bad idea, nevermind. Anyway,
[/offtopic]
Old 02-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Croteam should do more with the Unreal 1 philosophy of enemy fight design: The maps are huge, but aren't filled to the brim with thousands of enemies. The Serpent Canyon consists solely of a serene boat ride to enjoy the beautiful environment, you only fight maybe two enemies in that level. The game also has temples with low enemy counts: Not enough to make it too intense and grindy, but also not low enough to bore you. For example, the Harobed Village level consists of a passage through a valley from a temple to reach an alien greenhouse facility. You can cross through it and finish the map within a matter of minutes, but if you approach the village you see you can explore a bunch of houses, a monastery and a cemetery, adding half an hour to an otherwise short level easily. That kind of exploration is what a Serious Sam game needs between long hard sessions of killing, not necessarily puzzles.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, to be honest, it would be weird seeing Talos puzzles in SS, because they are from Talos. But I'm sure CT got something else planned now.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

I wonder how they would have handled Jammers in SS coop... what if a player just wanted to be a dick, pick up the jammer and say, fuck everyone else, so nobody else can use it?

I think it would defo be weird, but something other than platforming would be nice for puzzles.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Croteam should do more with the Unreal 1 philosophy of enemy fight design: The maps are huge, but aren't filled to the brim with thousands of enemies. The Serpent Canyon consists solely of a serene boat ride to enjoy the beautiful environment, you only fight maybe two enemies in that level. The game also has temples with low enemy counts: Not enough to make it too intense and grindy, but also not low enough to bore you. For example, the Harobed Village level consists of a passage through a valley from a temple to reach an alien greenhouse facility. You can cross through it and finish the map within a matter of minutes, but if you approach the village you see you can explore a bunch of houses, a monastery and a cemetery, adding half an hour to an otherwise short level easily. That kind of exploration is what a Serious Sam game needs between long hard sessions of killing, not necessarily puzzles.
I don't think that would work well for SS, since that's Unreal's shtick (yes ,even in Unreal 2, except it didn't go as well as Epic hoped). Serious Sam is like the Contra of FPS; no matter how increasingly complex the others in the genre has become, it will always be the same thing it was when it started; buff men blowing shit up in a linear path (with more exciting shit to blow up and blow up with each time).