Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > The Talos Principle > The Talos Principle Workshop

The Talos Principle Workshop The official forum for The Talos Principle projects, be it maps, mods, or anything else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Default A few starter Questions

Hi Guys!

Im new here and i want to create a little environment scene in the Serious Editor 4 which comes with Talos.

Ive worked already with Unreal Engine 4, but never with the Serious Engine.
So i just have some questions:

1. Is it possible to import a Heightmap into SE 4 and to give this Terrain/Landscape a Texture with Normalmap and or Detail Normalmaps? How to do that?

2. How can i import 3D Assets from my 3D Package -> 3D Studio Max? Which File Format?
And which Maps can i import? Albedo, Metalness, Roughness, Specular, Normal?

3. Is there a Foliage Paint Tool to place maybe Grass even faster?

4. Is there a function for activating Wind? So that Grass and Leaves gently moving with the wind

5. How to setup a HDR Skylight with a HDR Photo?

Is there a SE4 Documentation which i could read?

Thank you,
PuDDe
Old 04-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: A few starter Questions

1. As far as I know, no. You can import a model of a terrain though. Texturing happens in the Mesh Editor of SED. In the World Editor (default view), press insert to place a Model Entity and then press E to edit its mesh in the Mesh Editor.

2. SED4 currently imports amf, obj, raw and fbx files. Importing happens in the Mesh Editor, Ctrl+I.

3. There's none. Creating foliage works with the Crumbs system, which is about using a highly annoying and complicated way of placing Crumbs entities, setting the crumb models (grass, small rocks) inside them, then painting a mask where it will generate the crumbs.

4. There's a Wind Entity, but it's not used at all. Grass and Leaves move gently in the wind by default, using their Vegetation Shader. They always move.

5. Cube Background Entity. You can find one on every official map, for experimentation.

+1. There's barely any documentation on SED2-4, unfortunately. The devs have little time. For tutorials and help, check the following links:

http://serioussam.com/wiki/index.php...D3/Hello_World - Tutorials about SED3-3.5, works for SED4 too.

http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=64345 - A collection of fan-made tutorials.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/d.../?appid=257510 - My SED4 Editor Help Thread on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy4lwukCo0 - My Talos Timelapse video, showing how the editor works in general.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Thank you for your answer
Is there a Video Tutorial on how to import a 3D Model with all his texture Maps and to place it in the Level?

SE 4 shows only MDL ?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

MDL is the editor's own model file. Dunno if there's a video tutorial.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Im asking because when i go to open Model, or browse for a Model, obj and fbx, doesnt show up, only mdl files.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes. The mdl files are container files, and within them are meshes, collisions, schemes, animations, etcetera. When you place a model entity (green box, with insert) and then press E, you enter the Mesh Editor, editing that entity's Mesh directly. In this editor is where you can import your 3rd party models with Ctrl+I. And after you're done, press E to return to the World Editor and save the model as an mdl file.