Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  

Red face Serious Engine 1 games

I was browsing Moby Games and found this list of games made with Serious Engine 1 (I removed all the Serious Sam games). Anyone here played any of them ? None of these games seem to be popular or any good.

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/...serious-engine

Carnivores: Cityscape - 2002
Bird Hunter 2003: Legendary Hunting - 2002
Deer Hunter 2003 - 2002
Nitro Family - 2004
Alpha Black Zero: Intrepid Protocol - 2004
EuroCops - 2005
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Serious Engine 1 games

Nope. This was before digital distribution was an actual thing, and these games were made in the indie circuit so it was never widely distributed or marketed. It's a shame, I'd love to see what other companies were able to do with the engine.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Are any of these abandonware now?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louva-Deus View Post
Are any of these abandonware now?
The developer of the first three games is the only one still active, but the publisher was Infogrames which went bankrupt, so who knows who owns the rights now.

Nitro Family publisher was ValueSoft, which was part of THQ which also went bankrupt.

Alpha Black Zero publisher Playlogic International also went bankrupt... two times, lol !

Not sure what is going on with Eurocops. On some places it seems it was self published by the devs, but Moby Games lists 1C Company, but it could be that they only published in Russia.

So, in the end, I'm pretty sure all this could be declared abandonware.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

There's also that one MMO that people kept asking about on this forum before we banned discussion of it because they were asking for a leaked editor binary.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Aren't You breaking the ban by posting about the ban, and thus by extension, breaking the said ban by mentioning the game?
Did I just break the ban, too?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:40 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
I AM YOUR REDEEMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
It's a shame, I'd love to see what other companies were able to do with the engine.
I don't know if the downloads still work, but I remember playing some demos of these games from the download section.

Wow you failed so much in Life, that you need such things as fun. - Gnaarwarian
Last hax0red by Jetroid; 01-01-1970 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by librin.so.1 View Post
Aren't You breaking the ban by posting about the ban, and thus by extension, breaking the said ban by mentioning the game?
Did I just break the ban, too?
Shit better ban myself

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroid View Post
I don't know if the downloads still work, but I remember playing some demos of these games from the download section.
Hey, you're right. Nice one.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroid View Post
I downloaded Alpha Black Zero demo from Fileplanet link there.

I had to google for Nitro Family demo, here is the Fileplanet link: https://www.fileplanet.com/137999/13...ro-Family-Demo

Nitro Family works, but is barely playable. There is a lot of stuttering even though it says my framerate is high and the physics are completely broken. Rockets go through enemies, most of the time you can't break the barrels and crates that contain health. And very rarely I could pickup health or armor. The enemies are terrible and the first level is just a never ending narrow corridor. This may be the worst FPS experience I ever had, even if physics worked it would be terrible.

I'll check out other demos another time
Old 03-23-2017, 05:12 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  

I played the Alpha Black Zero demo. It was not as bad as Nitro Faimily, but it's also pretty bad. Based on the screenshots I was expecting a squad based tactical shooter, but the part I played in this demo is the most basic liner shooter, you follow a path in some hills and enemies pop up in front of you. They seem to be using rocketeer AI for all the enemies, so the fights were pretty bad. Shooting is bad, I couldn't tell if I hit someone or if anyone hit me. I got killed and when I reloaded all the enemies glitched, so I didn't bother to finish it.

Eurocops demo doesn't seem to exist on the Internet. I watched some gameplay videos and it seems to be the same thing as ABZ; a liner shooter disguised as a squad based shooter.

In conclusion maybe I could have had some fun with these games 12 years ago with a limited access to games, but unless the full versions are greatly improved compared to the demos, I highly doubt it's worth checking them out now. I said in the Will Rock thread that the gameplay in that game was mediocre, but after playing these I have a much higher appreciation to Will Rock now.

Last edited by AntonioR; 03-23-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

The full games were better. The bugs were fixed. But they weren't very good games. I asked about the abandonware thing because I wonder if we can put up a download of the games.

As for the topic I think there were maybe 15-17 licenses that were purchased of se1 but most of them never became anything. Several switched to other engines but many just died.