Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #3871   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Default Re: Random game talk

Why you want Halo series play at Pc, if every SciFi FPS available at PC is better then Halo.

Halo is only good if you own a Xbox, it sucks everywhere, besides Halo 1 which is from 2002/2003.

Ofc i'm aware of the fact that normal Us citizen, i name him Joe here, thinks that Halo is Hottest SciFi shit on Earth. He probably thinks after travelling from Texas to New York too, wooo i made 1 world trip.

He is wrong.

And there is still a 50:50 chance i met him inside a Bar drink Beer with him and do not think he is stupid.

If you want to play an FPS game with a playable Metal Suit just play Doom (2016).

Or try to build 1 working Time Machine. I do not know if it is possible or not an di do not want to say that future & current Time machine builder/companies can do it somehow somewhere.

I feel sorry if you find irony, sarcasm, Uncle Hitler, Satan, Sex or Insults in here.

Thoughts/ Hints: If you can't argue about Taste, so every Boyband is at same level with Mozarts music?
Things that sells much are good, must have something special/great.

Yes i think Halo is average.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 06-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #3872   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
I am baffled that people don't seem to bat an eye when WoW charges $10+/mo to maintain their servers, but lose their shit when console companies charge $5/mo to do the exact same thing. Yes, PSN was free during the PS3 generation, but you got what you paid for. PSN didn't have a quarter of the features that XBL had at the time and stability was absolutely horrendous. Dropped games was pretty much a way of life and servers were down all the time. Forget about any kind of useful communication/coordination with your friends. Coming from someone who played a lot on both PSN and XBL, the difference was like night and day.
I can't help but agree with that. I own both a 360 and PS3, and when I bought an Xbox Live card for a year I knew it'd be a good experience, platform and performance wise. The whole online experience with Sony isn't bad per se, but it definitely felt inferior. Besides, it's pretty ridiculous blaming Microsoft for Sony and Nintendo deciding to follow suit in charging for online services. Microsoft didn't put a gun to their heads, if anything the customer should be blamed for not voting with their wallet if it's such a bad thing.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #3873   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Thanks for shedding some light on what Microsoft's higher ups might be thinking. I'm not trying to bash the Xbox or consoles in general. Like you, I don't want to sit in front of my computer at home after spending upwards of 12 hours sitting in front of a computer at work. Until recently, I didn't even have any plans to continue upgrading my PC so that I could just buy the latest console and game every once in a while.

The point of my post was mainly that I just don't understand Microsoft's plan, although Sony and Nintendo are pretty baffling as well. The previous posts had mentioned that Microsoft is probably going to bring the original Xbox and 360 libraries to Windows 10 via emulation. Moreover, Xbone exclusives aren't really exclusives as they are being simultaneously released for the PC. I was just given the impression that they are shooting themselves in the foot because that gives people even less of an incentive to buy their console. But that also got me thinking that they are competing with themselves because the console division could be cutting into their PC market and vice versa.

In light of Dave3d's comment, I guess it makes sense that they initially wanted to get in on the console market because it was lucrative and they wanted to appeal to kids who can't build or buy a PC for gaming. I just don't understand why they wouldn't keep AAA titles exclusive to the Xbone but I'm clearly not complaining about that since it works in my favor.

However:

Quote:
I am baffled that people don't seem to bat an eye when WoW charges $10+/mo to maintain their servers, but lose their shit when console companies charge $5/mo to do the exact same thing. Yes, PSN was free during the PS3 generation, but you got what you paid for.
This is pretty fallacious for several reasons.
-WoW is the one classic Blizzard game that I refused to play solely because of the subscription model, despite the fact that several of my friends regularly asked me to join them. Just because some people were okay with that model, the feeling wasn't universal. Diablo and Starcraft had free online and I never had issues with Battle.net despite the fact that I wasn't regularly paying for its maintenance.

-"You got what you paid for" is wrong on several accounts. The cost of PSN was factored into the cost of the consoles and games that were sold. You might have not been paying an additional fee to access multiplayer, but you were still paying one way or another.

-A few of my friends had a 360 so I played on Xbox Live surprisingly often, and I never noticed a significant difference from PSN. I played a lot of CoD4 online and matches were occasionally laggy on both platforms, but this is pretty common with all online gaming. If anyone had trouble with PSN, this is because Sony shot themselves in the foot by bundling more features with the PS3. It came with built-in wifi unlike early iterations of the 360, and hence more people went wireless with the PS3, which is probably why you saw quality issues with the online component.

-With maybe one or two exceptions, every single game used peer-to-peer on both platforms. The quality of Microsoft's of Sony's servers had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your multiplayer gaming sessions. If you start having connection issues when playing Sam 3, do you blame:
  • your own connection?
  • the server?
  • the netcode?
  • Steam?
I'd wager that nobody is going to pick the last option in that list. Granted Sam 3 uses dedicated servers but consider a game like Dead by Daylight that utilizes p2p and is frequently plagued with connection problems: nobody blames Steam in this case either because Steam simply isn't to blame for either you or the current host having a terrible connection.

-I don't pay a single penny for Steam and I have never once felt that "I get what I pay for" with them. On the contrary, Valve is improving Steam all of the time and I'm quite content with its online capabilities.

It's cool if you're fine with paying extra money for their online service but I think that we should really be expecting more as consumers. They are essentially charging you to use your own internet connection so long as most games continue to remain peer-to-peer. And as for them not influencing Sony's decision to start charging as well, I couldn't agree less. Of course MS didn't hold a gun to Sony's head and force them to do anything, but they set a precedent where Sony and Nintendo saw a potential for easy money and they took it. All three companies influence each other all the time, as is the nature of competition. MS started offering free games with Live membership after Sony set the precedent by doing this first.

Anyways this is quite tangential to my original points. I still feel like MS are hurting themselves by releasing big titles simultaneously for the Xbone and PC. Halo and Gears of War helped to move a lot of consoles but I'd imagine that their console division would have suffered a bit if those titles were also available for the PC at the time. Again, I'm not complaining - I almost considered buying a used 360 for Alan Wake until they decided to port it to PC, but no chance I'm gonna buy an Xbone if all of the great exclusives are coming to Windows anyway.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #3874   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Apologies if my tone felt a bit disparaging and for casting such a blanket statement. The WoW versus paid XBL wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, just something I've observed. Obviously the two things are mutually exclusive and you can equally hate both models.

While most games do use P2P connections, regardless of platform, that is only a fraction of the online experience. It is twofold for consoles since they are much more reliant on PSN service / XBL service servers. While actual gameplay latency may be indistinguishable between the two platforms, there is a lot of other things that flesh out the entire online experience. Things like the speed to sign on to the service, speed at which you can navigate their storefront, download speeds of digital games, and speed of matchmaking to find games. Not to mention how often the services are down for maintenance or overload.

Heck, I see people lose their collective minds each time Steam goes down for routine maintenance Thing is, pretty much every PSN user I've talked to has expressed issues with getting dropped from the service, issues logging in, trouble downloading games, etc etc etc. Not saying that this is never the case with XBL, because it still happens. But MS used the initial investments (and continued investments) in Gold to build a solid and robust infrastructure to absolutely minimize these hiccups. While Sony has played a lot of catch-up, MS still has the larger number of dedicated servers and still provides a more stable and reliable experience (based on recent independent research).

But like you said, this is getting way too tangential and to get back to your main point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I still feel like MS are hurting themselves by releasing big titles simultaneously for the Xbone and PC. Halo and Gears of War helped to move a lot of consoles but I'd imagine that their console division would have suffered a bit if those titles were also available for the PC at the time. Again, I'm not complaining - I almost considered buying a used 360 for Alan Wake until they decided to port it to PC, but no chance I'm gonna buy an Xbone if all of the great exclusives are coming to Windows anyway.
Your right, this doesn't make since from a consumer point of view, it feels like MS is killing themselves. But that only matters if you are trying to push console sales. I think MS has admitted that they will likely never catch up to the PS4 sales numbers, but I think they are okay with that. We've been skirting around this topic without directly bringing attention to it. It's not really console sales that make companies like Sony/MS/Nintendo money, since profit margins are slim to none. Instead, it is game sales, which operate at HUGE profit margins, that make the most money.

Instead of the established practice of using killer exclusives to sell consoles so consumers buy games on their platform, I think Microsoft is shifting their strategy. I believe that Microsoft's new strategy is that they are bolstering pro-consumer ideas (cross-play, play anywhere, backwards compatibility) to encourage consumers to buy their games. The caveat is that they are going to cage things in enough to force consumers to buy games under their terms, the Windows Marketplace. But by doing so, they've cut out the middle man like Valve and vastly improved their profit margins.

Microsoft probably makes more money if you didn't buy an XB1 and bought a play anywhere title on the Window Marketplace... rather than buy an XB1 and bought a game through a third-party (Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc etc etc). Thing is, even if you don't buy an XB1 now, if you're buying their play anywhere titles and/or backwards compatibility titles you are building up your digital library. When you do decide to buy a console... which are you more likely to buy? The console with more exclusives, but who's library of games will be extinct with the next generation? Or the console that lets you transfer all your titles and saves from the PC? Sure... the exclusives may be enough to convince you to buy a PS4 instead, but maybe that huge library from Day 1 will convince you to buy a XB1. Even if you don't buy an XB1, MS has still come out ahead since they made a killing off your digital library. (I used "you" as a general statement in the paragraph above )
Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 PM   #3875   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Apologies if my tone felt a bit disparaging and for casting such a blanket statement.
No worries man, I don't think there was anything wrong with what you said or how you said it. We're just having a discussion after all. I think that I see your points about Microsoft's strategy now. I guess that it does make sense that they wouldn't really benefit much at this point from trying to push console sales. If they're going for a walled-garden approach, then everything you said makes sense.

Kind of a bummer that things will be restricted to Windows 10 though. I thought people were silly for refusing to upgrade from XP but now I'm becoming one of them as I really don't like Windows 10 and I don't plan on using it. I know that they really want people using the MS store though, and Valve even tried to respond to this with SteamOS, although that doesn't seem to have gone anywhere. I was planning on phasing out my PC in favor of some light console gaming once in a while but I'm still not sold on paid multiplayer. It would be nice if some perks like the monthly free games and cloud saves were restricted to paid plans, while very basic multiplayer was still free, kind of what like Sony started doing towards the end of the PS3's life cycle. Cross-platform play is a welcome change and it's a shame that Sony isn't on board. At the end of the day, I just want to maximize my enjoyment while minimizing the cash spent on things that I seldom use.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #3876   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Aaaand there goes my interest in CoD:WW2. The weapons have no impact or recoil and the game is full of PC bullshit. It's just a typical CoD game with a WW2 reskin.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:19 PM   #3877   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

PC BS ?
What does that mean?

And, did you actually play the game?
I thought it looked ok, not great or anything, but an ok shooter (loved the flamethrower bit though).
Old 06-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #3878   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Probably the 2 most "controversial" points I've heard of:

1. No swastikas in the game. Apparently this is to allow the game to be released in Germany, since they don't allow nazi imagery in publications. Fine with me. Good compromise.
2. The ability to be a woman in multiplayer. Apparently people are complaining about this one because in World War 2, the majority of soldiers were men. I don't know why people care though, I mean it's multiplayer, it's not trying to be accurate like single player, it doesn't have to be.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 AM   #3879   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Some developers release censored versions of games in Germany. They could've done this instead of censoring the game universally. I don't care about the series anymore one way or another but I do find it strange that they would do something like this.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:56 AM   #3880   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I agree with Poorchop, for the past decade Germany (and some other countries) has always received low violence versions of games, and now suddenly we're not going to show Nazi symbolism to make one version for the whole world? I understand the need to fracture your multiplayer player base as little as possible but come on. That's like refusing to serve meat at a big wedding because two persons are vegan.

As for the women in multiplayer mode, that feels blown way the hell out of proportions. It's not like multiplayer is supposed to be a realistic and immersive experience anyway, otherwise you'd have to be incapacitated for months for a shot to the leg. If suddenly half of the NPCs in the campaign were women just to be politically correct you could be pretty pissed, since women rarely fought in the military back then.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:13 AM   #3881   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Nothing in video games should be done to make political statements or be politically correct/incorrect/whatever. Unless it is a planet full of stereotypical Smurfs/Asians/Elvis midgets; that is one thing that should never exist.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #3882   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I agree man, I sexually identify as an Asian Elvis smurf midget and I felt deeply offended by Serious Sam 2.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #3883   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
Nothing in video games should be done to make political statements or be politically correct/incorrect/whatever. Unless it is a planet full of stereotypical Smurfs/Asians/Elvis midgets; that is one thing that should never exist.
Sure? Killzone series since Playstation 2 shows similar goverment/ political stuff to 3rd Reich.

And CoD & MoH tells s basicly that US Army is best Army of whole Earth which can handle all political conflicts easy.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 AM   #3884   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
And CoD & MoH tells s basicly that US Army is best Army of whole Earth which can handle all political conflicts easy.
this is probably the best summary of CoD i ever read

and its a gnaarwarian post

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 06-17-2017, 07:46 AM   #3885   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

I really wonder where people got that impression of CoD from, since the Americans got the short end of the stick and fucked everything up badly in the Modern Warfare series and it was the British SAS who saved the day.

The only game in the whole franchise (at least the main games on PC) where Americans can be said to have done well is CoD2 since they got the honor of the final level there (although all they did was crossing the Rhine, whereas Russians in CoD1 get to wave that flag on Berlin).
Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #3886   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
There's 2 kinds of people in this world.. those who see these things as "political actions" and those who just enjoy playing a video game

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #3887   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
There's 2 kinds of people in this world.. those who see these things as "political actions" and those who just enjoy playing a video game
Given our politically charged culture at present and the recent massive proliferation of political correctness in the media, especially in video games, it's really hard to miss or overlook political statements being shoehorned into games. I think CoD World at War was a WWII game and I was able to judge it at face value because the developers weren't trying to censor anything or cater to anyone. Unfortunately that game kind of sucked and was more like CoD: Hot Potato Warfare with all of the nonstop grenades.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #3888   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Given our politically charged culture at present and the recent massive proliferation of political correctness in the media, especially in video games, it's really hard to miss or overlook political statements being shoehorned into games. I think CoD World at War was a WWII game and I was able to judge it at face value because the developers weren't trying to censor anything or cater to anyone. Unfortunately that game kind of sucked and was more like CoD: Hot Potato Warfare with all of the nonstop grenades.
Well at leas you're making it very clear which one of those groups you belong to

Old 06-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #3889   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I just want political correctness and political statements out of my entertainment media. When I play a game, I came to be entertained not preached. Though there's nothing wrong with a game that makes you think without becoming preachy, like Horizon Zero Dawn.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #3890   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Putting women in games or removing nazi imagry from world war games doesn't give me any "political vibes". In fact, the former is completely normal, lol.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #3891   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Amen to that.
Fun is fun, no matter if it has nazi swastica's or not.

But, if the game is about germans, and ww2, it would seem very weird to NOT see the symbols anywhere at all.
That in itself is a statement: lets not portray history as it was, and lets not put in things or symbols that really existed.
It would be like making a game about pearl harbor, and not putting the U.S. on the usa ships, and not putting the Japanese red o on the planes, because those are troubling things to people.

Its a video game.
If you are so concerned with history, and getting upset by something, then dont play the game.
Easy as that.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 AM   #3892   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
I just want political correctness and political statements out of my entertainment media. When I play a game, I came to be entertained not preached. Though there's nothing wrong with a game that makes you think without becoming preachy, like Horizon Zero Dawn.
I agree with this although politics can have a place in some games. MGS is like an ultra campy commentary on modern and future politics, and I loved that about the series. A lot of what the writers imagined actually came to fruition.

I also gotta agree with Dave3d. You can't just erase or rewrite history when the game you're creating is intended to realistically portray an historical event. The whole point of history is to learn from our mistakes so that we don't repeat them, not cover it up. Of course developers are free to take any creative liberties they please and we're free to not play their games, but it leaves a bad taste what blatant censorship like this occurs.

Also consider that nobody here is offended by being able to use Serious Sammy/Hellfire/any other female character model in Sam multiplayer. It's not a question of whether or not women are in the game, it's just weird and totally anachronistic to portray women in battle during WWII for the sake of meeting some virtual diversity quota.

Last edited by Poorchop; 06-18-2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:38 AM   #3893   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Didn't MGS3 have a guy who can control motherfucking bees in a game that's supposed to be about Cold War espionage? And he's far from the weirdest thing in the series.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 AM   #3894   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Get a load of this Bee Jesus denier. All modern beekeepers strive to do what he did.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #3895   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Get a load of this Bee Jesus denier. All modern beekeepers strive to do what he did.
That answers this age old question:

https://i.imgur.com/ztNaUIu.jpg

Beekeepers fight with fake swords so the victor can suck the supernatural beelepathy energy from the loser and become a bit stronger in their quest for world domination.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #3896   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
Didn't MGS3 have a guy who can control motherfucking bees in a game that's supposed to be about Cold War espionage? And he's far from the weirdest thing in the series.
omg someone criticized mgs3

can we ban pika

Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #3897   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I put this in the Free Games thread, but Hitman (episode 1) 2016 is free on every platform (pc, consoles. PC - steam version is called a 'demo' but it is free forever).
Also they have 66% off the rest of the episodes (2 through 6).

I can hardly wait to play it, to see if I like it or not.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM   #3898   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Steam Summer Sale bois

Old 06-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #3899   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Tomorrow for some of us.
For those who it already started, what deals are you seeing ?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #3900   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

It starts for everyone at the same time.